• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 7,283 Views, 622 Comments

Our Little Clementine - MaxBeezy



The "My New Life In Equestria" trilogy concludes with the chronicles of Matt and Applejack raising their Daughter from foalhood to her teenage years. Hilarity ensues. Sort of.

  • ...
33
 622
 7,283

The Storm

Applejack walks out of Ponyville with her bag of groceries. She looks up at the sky, noting its cloudy nature. A storm seems to be on its way, and quickly. To think that the day began with bright sunshine, but will now end with a downpour of rain. Not exactly the perfect way to end a relaxing day on. Applejack shrugs with little worry, knowing that she’ll be home within mere moments.

Applejack arrives at the house, where she hears a strange sound. One that she wouldn’t expect to hear from her own place of residence.

Smashing.

Suddenly, Slip Wing, with a look of horror and survival instincts, comes bursting from the front door; sweat and tears of panic all over his face, and breathing like he’s taking all the air away from the world itself.

“What in the hay?” Applejack steps back in surprise.

Slip Wing has little time to address the farmpony, as he jumps and runs past her. It doesn’t take too long for Applejack to wonder what the matter is, when Matt, holding up a chair with a couple of missing legs, comes stepping outside with a look of rage.

“GET BACK HERE!!!” Matt screams, throwing the chair at Slip Wing.

Applejack steps out of the way quickly, almost getting clipped by the chair herself, with the piece of wooden furniture hitting the ground next to Slip Wing, causing it to burst into splinters. Slip Wing shoots a look at Matt, utterly horrified that the kind father would almost hurt him with the deadly chair. Deep down, though, he somehow knew this day would come.

Adrenaline surges through Slip Wing, as he runs even faster now. Matt starts to give chase, but he stops at Applejack, kneeling down and putting his hands on her cheeks lovingly.

“I’m sorry. I almost hit you.” he kisses her on the forehead.

“What is going on?!” Applejack has no time to be charmed by Matt’s gentle touch, he just tried to smack Slip Wing with a chair. “Why did ya throw that chair at Slip?!”

“He got Clementine pregnant.” Matt seethes “He must pay!” Matt gets up, and runs after Slip Wing, who hasn't covered too much ground. Slip Wing flaps his wings, and starts to gain some altitude, until Matt jumps up and grabs Slip Wing by the hooves, and the two head up.

Clementine comes running out of the house, seeing her father and Coltfriend ascend into the sky.

“Daddy! Let go of Slip!” Clementine tries to run further, but she is stopped by her mother. “He’s gonna kill him, Mom!”

“Yer father ain’t gonna kill him. He’s gonna beat the tartarus out of him!” Applejack faces Clementine with anger. “What were ya thinking?! Gettin’ knocked up like that?! We taught ya better than that! What’s the matter wit you?!”

“Ah haven’t taken the test, yet! Ah don’t know if I’m pregnant! I’m just a week late on mah period, is all, and ah got worried!”


“Well, yer goin’ right on in there, and takin' that test, little miss!”

“What about Daddy and Slip?”

“Yer dad and Slip will sort things out fine. Matt will come to his senses…eventually.”


In the sky, Matt and Slip Wing are sloppily flying around. Slip Wing cannot maintain altitude for much longer; there’s too much weight to carry, and that weight is a big ball of rage at the moment.

“Mr. Williams!” Slip Wing tries to shake him off “Please! I’m sorry!”

“Sorry isn’t going to un-impregnate my daughter!”

“I didn’t know it was going to happen!”

“You should have worn protection!”

“I can’t maintain altitude with you holding on!”

“Good! Get on the ground, so I can beat the crap out of you!”

The two descend in the middle of Ponyville, where many of the citizens have been watching the sight above, and scramble out of the way when the two come crashing down into the ground below. Quill Pen and Ditzy Doo, who have come back from their own train, see Matt duking it out with their son.

“What the?!” Quill Pen gasps.

Matt and Slip Wing roll around on the ground, dirtying each other up from their scuffle. Slip Wing tries to swat Matt away with his strong wings, but Matt keeps coming back for more. Matt is about to actually punch Slip Wing, but then Ditzy Doo, in a moment of motherly instinct, grabs Matt by the back of the shirt collar with her teeth, and tosses him away. Matt crashes into a shrubbery, and his legs wiggle about, trying to get free.

“Mom! Thank you!” Slip Wing breathes a sigh of relief. Short lived, as Ditzy Doo gets right in his face.

“What did you do?!”

“What? What did I do?! Mr. Williams threw a chair at me!”

“Matt doesn’t do things for no reason…most of the time!” Ditzy Doo asserts “What did you do? Tell me!” Ditzy Doo becomes scary for the colt. Her wings suddenly unfurl like an eagle ready to attack.

“I might have gotten Clementine pregnant!”

Quill Pen and Ditzy Doo stare with an all too familiar look for Slip Wing. Now they look like they want to murder him. Or, at the very least, do some serious damage to him. Matt manages to get out of the bushes, and brushes himself off of any leaves or twigs that managed to stay on him. He notices Ditzy Doo and Quill Pen staring at Slip Wing with murderous eyes.

Matt walks up to the scene. “Hey! I’m not…” Suddenly, Quill Pen and Ditzy Doo stare at Matt. “…finished?”

“We’re going to have a long talk, back at the house.” Ditzy Doo says in an eerily calm manner “It would be best if you join us, Matt. And…do keep the chair throwing to a minimum.”

“Umm…” Matt thinks about this, like the thought of NOT throwing a chair at Slip Wing is an impossible request. “…I’ll…do my best.”

“We can deal with that.” Quill Pen nods.


Back at the house, Clementine is in the bathroom, while Applejack sits by the door, waiting patiently for the result of the pregnancy test. Clementine carefully holds the pregnancy test underneath her while on the toilet, attempting to summon the urge to urinate.

“It’ll be easy, Clem. Just…think of waterfalls. Rushing rapids. Slip savin’ you from the rapids. Oh, that’s not helpin’ at all.”

Clementine tries harder to concentrate, but the concentration is broken by the sound of Applejack’s left hoof tapping with impatience on the hardwood floor. The noise stops, and Clementine tries again.

“Deep breaths. Deep breaths, Clem. Just relax, and let it all go.”

“Ya done in there?” Applejack calls out.

“No, Mom!” Clementine snaps “It’s hard ta try n’ figure out if yer pregnant, if ya got somepony who can’t stand still for two seconds!”

Silence hits the scene, until…

“Sorry!” Applejack calls out apologetically, catching Clementine off guard.

Clementine goes back to what she was doing. She closes her eyes, attempting to clear her head of any other thoughts, such as if Slip Wing is okay, and her Dad hasn’t hurt him too bad. The likelihood that her Dad seriously hurt him is slim to the young mare, and she takes solace in this assurance.

“Concentrate, Clem. Concentrate.”

“Ya want any water?” Applejack interrupts again.

Clementine is tempted to yell at her mom again, but then…that’s actually not a bad idea. Clementine’s face of annoyance turns into one of surprising agreement, with her nodding at the idea. It would make her current situation go by much easier.

“Yeah. Good idea, Mom.”


Matt sits on the comfy chair inside Quill Pen and Ditzy Doo’s home, all the while staring daggers into the very soul of Slip Wing, who is sitting in the chair across from him. Quill Pen, meanwhile, sits on the sofa, waiting for Ditzy Doo to emerge from the kitchen. The silence permeates the room; only the ticking grandfather clock towards the door breaks the silence ever so slightly. Matt taps his fingers on the chair, as if he’s feeling the hardwood underneath its leather shell. Quill Pen watches Matt’s fingers, gulping down from saliva, all the while praying that Matt doesn’t crack, and use the chair as a weapon.

Ditzy Doo comes walking in, holding a cup of tea in her hoof. She brings it over to Matt, whose eyes of hatred for Slip Wing briefly turns to friendly rapport, when he takes the tea from Ditzy Doo.

“Thanks.” Matt smiles, taking a sip of the hot tea. “It’s delicious.” Matt takes another sip, and turns back to Slip Wing, his eyes transforming back into an expression of murderous rage.

“Mr. Williams…” Slip Wing can’t take the stares anymore “I…”

Matt holds up his hand to stop him. “I’m drinking tea.” He replies coldly.

Ditzy Doo quietly sits down next to Quill Pen. Outside, the clouds have formed over Ponyville, and drizzling rain falls from the sky. Nothing worrisome, but definitely noticeable. Matt finishes the tea. Slip Wing sees this, sweating bullets. His Mom’s tea is usually very hot out of the kettle, and if Matt was able to finish it in such a short amount of time, then he must be very mad.

“How long has this been going on?” Matt breaks the uncomfortable silence, going for the most forward question from the outset. “How long have you and Clem been together?”

“Since the camping trip.” Slip Wing answers honestly.

“Since the camping trip?" Quill Pen says, surprised. "You two…on the camping trip?”

“Y-Yes.” Slip Wing fidgets in his seat.

“Slip!” Ditzy Doo gasps.

“I-It all happened so fast! Clementine nearly fell off the waterfall, and I saved her, and…and…”

“And you decided to do it, right then and there?” Matt tries his best not to shout.

“It wasn’t me! Clem, she…”

“Don’t blame Clementine!”

“I’m not!”

“She’s sixteen years old, Slip! Sixteen! She’s too young to be a mother! You should have known that!”

“How many times do I have to tell you? I’m sorry!”

“You’re NOT sorry!” Matt points at Slip Wing in defiance of his apology. “You’re not sorry that you did it, you’re sorry that you got CAUGHT!” This shuts Slip Wing’s mouth quickly. “What did you think was going to happen, huh? How in Equestria, did you THINK it was going to turn out? You’re not me, Slip! Applejack and I? We didn’t know we were compatible, so we did everything without a care in the world!”

“A bit too much information, Matt…” Quill Pen whispers.

“I’m making a point!” Matt fires back. “But you, Slip…you’re a pony. Clementine is a pony. Put you two together, and the likelihood of a foal increases ten fold! You’re too smart to not have known that!”

“But, Mr. Williams! Listen to me! That day…I told her how I felt about her, and she started kissing me, and…” Slip Wing sees Matt’s hands gripping the chair. His fingers look as if they are prepared to break through the leather at any moment. “…and I did nothing to stop it, because I wanted it, too!” The outburst makes Matt stop. “I’m not blaming Clementine, Mr. Williams. I’m blaming myself. I could have stopped her. I could have. But, the truth is…I love her. I love her so much, that I was willing to throw caution to the wind so I could make her happy. When I saved her life, we had so much adrenaline running through our veins, that we couldn’t help ourselves.”

Matt ponders the statement. He ceases gripping the chair, sitting back further into the comfortable seat.

“You saved my daughter’s life. I’ll always be indebted to you for that. The minute Clem told me about your heroics, I knew that you were going to be with this family forever.” A small smile creeps on Matt’s face, before disappearing quickly. “Tensions were high, so I guess that excuses a few things. Still, that was the first time. All the other times after that, you still didn’t bother to bring protection?”

“No…” Slip Wing hangs his head in shame “…I didn’t. Not even on prom night.”

“Slip…” Quill Pen shakes his head. “What were you thinking? You could have gone to the store, you could have…”

“I didn’t.” Slip Wing interrupts. “I could have done many things, but the fact of the matter is that I didn’t.” He looks back at Matt. “Mr. Williams, you have every right to be angry with me.”

“You don’t have the right to attempt to kill him, though.” Ditzy Doo says matter of factly.

“I wasn’t going to kill him. Maybe give him a scratch or two. Is fracturing a wing too much?”

“It would be extremely painful, so yes.” Quill Pen gives Matt a look that says that he doesn’t want that kind of injury to befall Slip Wing.

“Can I continue with my confession, please?” Slip Wing says in annoyance. Quill Pen and Ditzy Doo nod, allowing him to go on. “Mr. Williams, if Clementine is pregnant, if that test is positive, then I will marry her right then and there. Whatever you may think of me, I love her with everything that I have. I will stay with her through thick and thin, and I will raise the baby to the best of my ability. I’ll read up on parenting. I’ll take classes. I’ll get a job to support us. I’ll…”

“Stop.” Matt holds out his hand again. “Stop. I…” he sighs “I know. I know that you wouldn’t leave her, and I know that you would marry her, if she ends up being pregnant. I can see it in your eyes. That being said, what you both did was irresponsible, and I’m still mad.”

“Me too.” Quill Pen nods.

“We’ll probably ground you.” Ditzy Doo nods as well.

“But…but not enough to seriously wound you…I guess.” Matt says almost reluctantly. “Don’t worry about getting a job. We’ll support you both, until you get out of school.”

“Woah. Hey there, Matt. We’re supposed to be saying that.” Ditzy Doo responds “You don’t have to pay for Slip. We’ll take care of it.”

“I’m not paying for Slip, I’m paying for the baby. We have to make sure its parents are well educated ponies. Clementine probably won’t be going to college until she gives birth, unless she still wants to go. That’s her choice to make.”

“Mr. Williams…”

“Slip, just stop. You have all the time in the world to make it up to me. I’m not going anywhere for a long, long time.”

A small, but noticeable sound of thunder rumbles from the outside. All heads turn to the window, noting that the clouds have become darker, and the rain just a bit stronger. Matt stands up, looking out the window. He sees ponies running indoors, even closing up shop for the day. It must be a strong storm, if it’s making the ponies retreat to shelter.

“Applejack. Clementine.” Matt whispers to himself, turning to Quill Pen and the others. “Sorry to cut this short, but I have to get home. I need to be with my family.”

“I understand.” Quill Pen nods. “We can talk about this later.”

“Mr. Williams, can I go with you?” Slip Wing stands. “I want to be there. For Clementine. I want to know the result of the test.”

Matt looks at Slip Wing, seeing the determination in his eyes. Matt sees that he’s not looking into the eyes of a colt, but the eyes of a stallion. Whether Slip Wing has realized it or not, he’s grown up, and Matt can see this.

Matt nods.


The storm has gotten rougher outside. Applejack stares out the window, as the winds rage, bending trees and hurling water in all different directions. She cannot help but wonder if Matt is safe. If Slip Wing is safe. If her friends and family are safe. It’s the kind of storm that reminds her of her past. The painful memories. She has learned to trust Matt and Clementine to go outside during the rains, but today’s storm is nothing like those days.

Clementine sits on the couch, attempting to watch television to get her mind off of the rains and winds outside. A CRACK of lighting flashes in the sky, illuminating the living room, and scaring the daylights out of the two mares inside.

Applejack recovers faster than Clementine. A wave of determination and bravery washes over her. She goes to the hat-rack by the door, taking her stetson hat and placing it on her head, pressing it down to make sure it stays put.

“I’m goin’ outside.” Applejack says.

“Mom, no. Dad and Slip are fine…ah think.” Clementine remembers the last time she saw her father and Slip Wing. In midair and fighting. “I’ll come with.”

“No. You stay here, okay?”

“But, Mom.”

“No buts, Clem. This is final.”

“Ah can handle it.”

“Not like this!” Applejack snaps, causing Clementine to step back a little bit. “I’m sorry, sugarcube. Ah didn’t mean ta snap. The storm out there is nothin’ like I’ve seen in a while. Don’t you worry bout a thing. I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

Clementine is tempted to continue fighting this. She’s as much concerned about her father and Slip Wing as she is. But she can see the look in her mother’s eyes. That loving, but also stubborn look. If she is to try and argue it, then nothing would be accomplished. She’ll have to trust her mother on this one.

“Okay.” Clementine nods “But, be safe.”

“Ah will.”

Applejack opens the door, and a gust of wind and water blow into the living room. Applejack is quick, shutting the door the instant she goes outside. Her hooves stay grounded, refusing to be taken away by a measly storm. Applejack does a quick press of her hat, making doubly sure that everything is in place. Once she has confirmed that all is well, she nods to herself, and makes the walk off the porch, and onto the road.

Slowly, sluggishly, Applejack braves the storm and trudges through the mud. To think, that this day began bright at sunny; enough to relax at the pool of Canterlot Castle. Applejack figured that a storm would be coming; it had been a while since the last one, and Ponyville was due for a downpour to help the fauna, but to happen on such a day. Bad timing.

All that is going through her mind right now, is the safety of Matt. If there’s anyone she wants to be safe at this very moment, it’s him. Too much has happened in his life for him to be in such danger. She wants him back home, resting on the couch, with her in his arms. If she has to go through a storm to get him back, then so be it.

Applejack gets closer to Ponyville, when she sees a silhouette approaching her. Two silhouettes. A human and a pony. Applejack’s eyes widen, and a smile forms on her lips, as Matt and Slip Wing reveal themselves to her.

“Matt!” Applejack calls out.

Matt hears her voice, then he notices her. He runs to her and kneels down to embrace her. Slip Wing stays behind, allowing the two to have their moment.

“What are you doing out here?” Matt asks “You should be home with Clem!”

“I’m sorry! Ah was worried bout’ ya! Ah had ta make sure y’all was safe!”

“I am now.” Matt smiles. “I’m taking Slip home with us. He has to see Clementine.”

“Right.” Applejack nods, looking over at Slip. She chuckles after giving him the once over. “I’m happy ya didn’t kill him.”

“Me too.” Matt laughs.


Clementine paces back and forth on the living room floor. She can’t simply sit down and hope for the best. Her family is out there, while she is all alone. She tries to tell herself that they’re okay, that any moment now, they’ll be walking through the door all wet, but in all smiles. Moments pass. Moments become minutes.

The wait is killing Clementine. She looks outside to see if they are close, but the rain and lightning prevents any visibility. It’s bad out there. Really bad. Maybe they found shelter and decided to stay. But, if they did, she would have surely gotten a letter.

Suddenly, a voice cuts through the storm outside. It’s her father’s voice.

“We’re almost there!” Clementine can hear him call out. She smiles wide. She has to see them.

Clementine opens the door, bolting outside into the storm. The winds are powerful, but she endures. She can see her father and mother slowly approaching, and Slip Wing is not too far behind. Clementine runs further out, trying to get closer to them.

“Mom! Dad!” Clementine yells out.

“Clementine!” Applejack notices her first. “Get back in the house!”

“Ah have ta make sure y’all are okay!”

“We’re fine!” Matt tries to wave her away “Get back inside! It’s not safe!”

“I want to be with ya! Ah have to guide y’all!”

“It’s okay, Clementine!” yells Applejack “We’ll be with ya in a few moments!”

“But…”

Breaking their dialogue, lightning shoots from the sky, planting itself into a tree right next to Clementine. The force of the strike, and the sound of the tree being impaled was enough to freeze Clementine in place. Any closer, and she could have gotten hit herself. Her legs shake at the tree, which is slowly breaking apart, an event that Matt and Applejack can see. Their eyes widen in absolute fear.

“Clementine! Move!” Matt yells.

It’s no use. The lightning strike has cause Clementine to become petrified at the thought of nearly dying. She’s too scared to move. Too scared to do anything. The tree breaks apart further. Any more, and it could fall on her.

“She’s not moving.” Applejack looks to Matt. “Matt…”

Matt knows what she’s about to say. The visual evidence is enough. Matt rips his feet out of the mud, and takes off running towards Clementine. He would be much faster if not for this storm, but if there are no slip ups, he can make it to her with no problem.

The tree fully breaks. The massive splintered trunk is coming down on Clementine, whose eyes widen at its approach.

Matt is running even faster now. He notices someone else is running besides him. Somepony else. To his side, he can see Applejack, running as fast as they are. They briefly share eye contact. A familiar sight. A familiar event. There’s no time. They have to save her.

Clementine braces for impact, hoping that her strength is enough to make the tree bounce off of her, but she knows it’s a fools hope. Suddenly, she is knocked out of the way by a mysterious force to her, causing her to crash into the mud, dirtying up every part of her.

Clementine lays there for a few moments, before another sound of thunder wakes her up. She looks to the left, then to the right. There’s no one in her immediate vicinity. Then, an article of clothing rolls by her; something that is seldom seen without its wearer.

Her mother’s stetson hat.

“No…” Clementine whispers in shock. “No, no, no…” She looks at the fallen tree. “Mom! Dad!” No answer. “Mommy! Daddy!”

“Huh? What happened?” Matt sits up behind Clementine, with Applejack sitting up beside him. Clementine screams in terror, bopping Matt on the head with a hoof. “Ow! Why did you hit me?”

“That’s a fine how do ya do, Clem!” Applejack looks at Clementine in annoyance. “Smackin’ yer father around after we all rescued ya!”

“Y’all scared the shit out of me!” Clementine yells her first curse word.

“Language!” Matt says. He then looks to Applejack. “We saved Clementine? I mean, that was the plan, but…”

“Yeah, somethin’ hit us, too.” Applejack thinks.

“GAH!” Slip Wing behind them all, sits up with a loud gasp. Everyone screams at his sudden appearance, even Slip Wing. It’s Matt that hits him over the head with a muddy shoe. “Ow! Mr. Williams!”

“Matt!” Applejack looks at him disapprovingly.

“Dad!” Clementine does the same.

“He was screaming! I had to shut him up!”

“So were we!”

“Well, one of us had to stop!”

“Hey!” Slip Wing points “Mrs. Apple! Your hat is escaping!”

“Confound it!” Applejack gets up, chasing after her hat. “Get back here, you!”

“I’ll help.” Matt gets up, joining Applejack in her hat chase.

Clementine, no longer frozen in fear, goes over to Slip Wing and embraces him. Slip Wing responds in kind, wrapping his wings around her to protect her from the cold. The rains begin to die town. The thunder and lightning becomes less frequent. The wind is still around, making Matt and Applejack’s journey in getting the hat extremely difficult.

“Slip. Did ya save mah family?”

“Yeah. I wasn’t sure if they would be able to make it, so I gave them an extra push.”

Tears of joy pour from Clementine’s eyes, as she holds Slip Wing tighter. She sobs into his chest, grateful that he was there to save them, and her as well. Slip Wing’s eyes water, rocking her gently in the warmth of his wings.

Close by, Applejack has retrieved her hat, and she and Matt see their daughter being consoled by the stallion she loves. The two parents watch the sight, smiles appearing on their faces.

“Slip…I’m not pregnant.” Clementine says.

“What?” Slip Wing gasps in surprise.

“What?” Matt gasps too, as he walks closer with Applejack.

“The test was negative. I’m not pregnant.”

“We were gonna tell ya, when ya got back.” Applejack says to Matt. “Clem is just havin’ a late period.”

“Argh!” Matt puts his hands over his ears “La-la-la-la too much information la-la-la-la!”

“Matt!”

“Dad!”

“Sorry.” Matt chuckles. Another, but distant sound of thunder breaks the mood. “Um…we should take this inside. Get up, all of you.” Matt gestures them to get up, and start walking to the house. Matt then stops Slip Wing.

“Mr. Williams?”

A pause between them. Applejack and Clementine turn around, seeing Matt looking down at Slip Wing. Suddenly, Matt kneels down, and embraces Slip Wing in his arms, holding him tightly. Slip Wing gasps in response, and struggles at little bit, as the human’s strength is enough for him to feel as if his bones are cracking.

“You can call me Matt.” Matt whispers in gratitude.

Slip Wing pauses his semi-struggle, taking in Matt’s words. A genuine warmth washes over him upon seeing that. A warmth that is short lived, as Slip Wing realizes he’s still being crushed.

“Ack…okay, Matt! But…you’re crushing me!”

Matt lets go and stands up, backing away in embarrassment. The two share a nice, friendly laugh. Applejack and Clementine also chuckle at the scene.

One thunder clap later, however, and everyone runs inside to wait out the storm.