• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 2,629 Views, 25 Comments

The Last Rainbow - lady Phoenix



They say a star will shine brightly, before the end.

  • ...
5
 25
 2,629

The Last Rainbow

Its a cool summer mourning, there is a calm breeze in the air. At the edge of a town called Ponyville, there is an old cottage. It has seen better days, although it has had some renovation, in its time. Everypony knows, that this cottage is not a normal cottage, this one small building, houses one of the elements and one of the 9 Princesses of Equestria, that being Princess Fluttershy.

The current 9 Princesses are obviously Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight. But the other 5 new princesses are Skylar (Daughter Of Cadence and Shining Armor), and the other elements of harmony apart from the rainbow coloured mare.

Any passers by would hear the sounds of many animals, and sometimes, if they listening hard enough. A soft singing voice of none other than Fluttershy. However on this day, they wouldn't be so lucky. Because today Fluttershy has a visitor! The normally timid pony, would shy away from others, however, this curtain pony, she would never do that to. Who is this visitor you may ask, why its none other than the element of loyalty herself, Rainbow Dash.

"So.. um... what did you do Rainbow?" asks Fluttershy, taking a sip of her tea.

"Isn't it obvious, I kicked his flank. No pony, can be this awesome pony in a race." Rainbow brag. "Anyway, enough about me being awesome, what have you done today Shy?"

"Oh.. I visited Zecora's place today..... I miss her" Fluttershy says, with one of two tears slowly makin their way out oft he corners of her eyes.

Rainbow normally stays away from mushy stuff, but she didn't even hesitate. When it comes to this kind of stuff, she doesn't care, what others will think. "Me to shy, me to" Tears are threatening to make an appearance out of her eyes now. It has been 7 years since their friend died of old age. Although she didn't look it, when she first appeared in Ponyville, Zecora, was almost twice the age of the mane 6. Now the mane 6 are in their 70's, all though, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie don't look a day older, because of them now being alicorn's. Rainbow is not so lucky. Rainbow, has never been able to become a princess, like her friends. She has started to get wrinkles everywhere, and her once colourful mane and coat are now fading in colour. She would never admit it hurts her in side. Add the fact that only last week, a fan of the wonder bolts, got the autographs of the current Wonderbolts, she didn't even know rainbow used to be one. Some ponies even brush her off, dismissing her "claims" of being a Wonderbolt in the past as the ramblings of a crazy old mare. Although those are still rare, it still happens now and then. And this kills her, her proudest part of her life, tossed a side, just because she's old and not a princess like her friends.

Her yellow friend cries into her shoulder, quietly. After a few minutes or even hours, rainbow couldn't tell, Fluttershy calmed down. "Rainbow....." She says looking up to her friend. "I'm scared Im going to lose you to" Fluttershy says with a croak in her voice. This surprises the rainbow mane pegasus.

"Shy.... Fluttershy you're never going to lose me, I never will leave a friend hanging, you know that." Rainbow tries to console her friend.

"But.... You.... I... I just don't know what I'd do without you. What if you never become a Princess like the rest of us, what if theres no other way for you to live long as us, what if.... what if... we out live you." Fluttershy goes from tearing up to full out crying. Rainbow doesn't know what to say to that, although what could she say in this situation, she thinks to herself.

seconds turn into Minutes and minutes in to hours. It didn't matter how long she was there, she would stay there to the end of time, for her friend. 10pm came and went, by the time rainbow calmed Fluttershy down enough, she was emotionally and physically drained. Rainbow had to carry her to her bed, which if your in your 70's, carrying a fully grown alicorn, is easier said than done.

But the time Rainbow got home, it was just past midnight. She can still go fast, but compared to her younger self... well, understandably she's slower. It's been about 20 years since she last pulled one off. Stretching like a cat, she gets a satisfying crack out of her back. Her house has stayed the same, since the good old days, but her friends houses or now castle for Twilight, have changed. The only thing changed about her house is the stuff within.

What once showed youth and excitement for the mare, now showed the past, of what could have been. The pictures of the wonder bolts are long since gone, seeing as she used to be one, it's not as important to have them now. She does have the medals and items like that on display. But the pictures what dominate her house are pictures of her and her friends, before they ascended. And one or two of her late husband Sorin. She fell head over hooves for Sorin, he was and the only pony to turn her head like that. Sure she had other "colt" and even one or two "mare" friends after him, but they all had the same fault, they weren't him. They had the best wedding Equestria has ever seen, or at least in her eyes, and they were even planning on having a foal or even two, but that never happened and she couldn't help but drift to the day she got the news.

"Ah recon ah can beat y'all with m'ah eyes closed" Applejack says, with her face in Rainbow's face.

"Oh yeah, well, I can beat you in my sleep!" Rainbow retorts back.

"Can you really do that Dashie? Are you princess Luna student now, like Twilight is for Celestia?" Pinkie Pie asks. Applejack and Rainbow just look at their friend confused, but decided to just ignore her last comment.

"Lets do this apple butt" Rainbow says putting her leg on the barrel in front of her.

"Don't moan if y'all lose" With that Applejack, meets Rainbows fore leg on the barrel, and they hoof wrestle. After a full minute, neither them show a sign on giving up, all though, Applejack is the least worn out.

"Erm excuse me, any of you three, a Mrs Rainbow Dash?" Asks a pony in a mail pony outfit.

"Yeah... I'm.... Her" Rainbow says between grunts, to try to win the match.

"Ok, I'll just leave your mail here." With that, he leaves the mail next to Pinkie, who is watching on, with a permeant smile on her face.

After 5 minutes, somehow Rainbow had won, much to the aggravation of Applejack. Trotting over to her mail, Rainbow picks up a letter, with the Wonderbolts logo on it. At this point in time, she was already in the Wonderbolts, and anything important was done in person. So she was curious what it was about. Opening the letter, she proceeds to read it, while Pinkie and Applejack watch on.

"Dear Mrs Rainbow Dash,

It with a heavy heart, that I writing this letter to you now. The mission Me and Soarin was sent on to, to take care of the curtain dragon problem near Hoofington. While the ponies where rescued, escorted and evacuated, Soarin managed to save not one but three families from being crushed by crumbling buildings. However Soarin was badly injured, and got infected by the disease the dragon's where carrying. He sadly passed away this morning. I would like you to know, even with his last breath, he only though was about you. He was worried, who will beat you in a race, who will bring your ego back down, who will look after his Dashie, after he's gone. I would be there with you, but I'm currently sorting out business that needs to be done. I also want you to know, I will be here for you, no matter what. You two are my greatest friends, and I would dishonour his memory, if I didn't help you pull threw this.

Your Friend,

Spitfire".

Her face goes from confusion to happy to utterly shock to tearing. Letting the letter drop the floor, Rainbow falls to the floor, full out crying. Confused, Pinkie and Applejack read the letter, not long seconds after, Applejack takes of her hat out of respect, and Pinkie's hair deflates like a balloon. Rainbow spent the next month not talking to anyone, nothing could cheer her up, not even Pinkie pie, not even in the slightest. Sorin, might have been a moron, and annoying sometimes, but he was it for her, he was the one.

That night Rainbow cried herself to sleep. Even though it's been over 30 years, the hole he left has never been filled, the pain has never faded away. For thats what it means to be the element of loyalty.

----------------------------------------------------- FLASH FORWARD -------------------------------------------------

Today is the day, Today is Rainbow Dash's 82nd Birthday! The old pegasus, is having a small party, with the princesses and family and friends in Canterlot castle.

"Please Rainbow... Please reconsider. Please let us help you, to try and find why you not ascended like us." Ask the Purple Princess.

"Twi, I've already told you. And i'm supposed to be the one who's losing memory with old age. I've lived a good life, and we both know it won't happen and besides the princess stuff and wearing dresses and mushy stuff is not for me. I might not of had any foals or Sorin might not be here with me in the coat. But I'm happy and proud to say I've made the best friends any pony could ask for and had the best husband to boot. Although I would have liked to pull of the sonic rainboom one more time though. I don't want to sound you know... But If you keep thinking of the past and future, you can't truly live in the present. And besides, these old bones don't have it in them." Rainbow says with a smile.

Twilight hangs her in defeat. "I.... I ... understand Rainbow... I Just don't want you to go."

"For an egghead, your stupid sometimes, you know that Twi? Without death, no pony can truly be alive." And with that Twilight dropped the topic and focused on her friend's birthday.

----------------------------------------------------- FLASH FORWARD -------------------------------------------------

It is now Rainbow Dash's 89th Birthday, and all the colour she used to have, has now faded. The only colour she has left on her body, are her brilliant red eyes. She can no longer fly, or at least fly anywhere far or fast. She is in her bed in her house in Cloudsdale. Her true friends are all by her side, waiting for the inevitable. This was her last chance to say what she wanted to her friends. Her gaze turns to Fluttershy

"Before I go, I just want to say something to each of you. You are the best friends any pony could off asked for. I thank you all for now only putting up with me, but making my life the best as possible. Fluttershy, you where my first friend, believe it or not. Everypony at flight camp, thought I was too... Well me. But not you, you stuck by me threw think and thin. I don't know where or what, I would be without you. You are the kindest and most caring friend, and I thank you for being my friend."

She then turn her head to the next pony. "Pinkie Pie, you are without the most doubt the craziest, random, and most chattiest pony I've ever met. We had some good times, I can still remember all the pranks we played on everyone, all the laughs we had, all the memories we've shared. My life would be miserable without you, there to lighten it up and make me laugh. I want you to promise me, not to change when I'm gone." Pinkie who is in tears can only nob in response. Rainbow wipes a tear from he eyes and turns to Applejack.

"AJ... I can still beat you." They both share a sad chuckle. "AJ, you have been my rock. The friend who I can always turn to, when I needed some pony. You've also been there to, bring my ego and me back to the ground. I've always been kind of jealous of you, you have a great family and are always there for everyone, even if they made a huge mistake. I think I would have die a few times, if It weren't for you stopping me. So without you, I would off never met every pony, with you, I wouldn't have never met Sorin or became a Wonderbolt. What I'm trying to say, is... You are one of the reason's why Ive had the best life any pony could ask for. But from now on, you are going to need to find someone else to beat your flank." AJ like the rest of the gang, can't speak, but offers her friend a hug. Rainbow then lands on Rarity.

"Rares, If I'm going to be honest. The first time I met you, I thought you would be one of those stuck up, ponies. But you taught me, never to judge by its cover, and to look deeper into someone before judging if they can be your friend or not. If it weren't for you I would off never been friends with the likes of Zecora. Even though I hated dressing up, and all the mushy girl stuff, you made it bare able... Most of the time. Even though we are opposites of each other, I would never want or ask to change you in anyway. You are the friend I became a friend with. Without you, I wouldn't have been able to get Soarin's attention as much, with the dress you made for me, and the make-up stuff you did. It might now seem much, but It did help me, feel more like a mare than a filly. And Soarin obviously thought so too. And I'm proud to called some pony like you a friend. You would do things for a total stranger, that most ponies wouldn't, and you don't even ask for anything in return. Unless they are some good looking stallion. So promise me you won't change either" Rarity is crying like a baby at this point. But can only say "uh huh" in response.

"Twilight, you have taught me many thing over time. Even if I didn't want to learn it. Sometimes I wonder if not for your magic, and AJ's honesty. I wonder if you and AJ are not supposed to be the element of Loyalty. You never give up on a friend, and no matter their appearance you always give them a chance. I know we had a fling back in the day, but I have no regrets, when it comes to you. If I ever needed help, you would be there without any questions ask... well that is, if its in a book that is. And I know, i'm lucky to have a friend like you Twi. Without you, I would have still been under Discord's power, I would have failed the junior flyers competition, I would off failed at so many other things." Rainbow hugs Twilight the hardest she can muster.

Letting the tears flow down her cheek, she finally turns to princess Luna and Celestia. "I'm ready" Is all she can say.

Using her magic, Luna slowly puts the mane 6, Celestia and herself to sleep, so they can all, have one last dream together. And what would be the dream you may ask? Well, They were all present, and rainbow was now not old, but her younger self. Roughly around the time where Twilight become a princess, but before the others became one two. And unlike normal dreams, they seemed almost real, intact Rainbow couldn't tell. Well, apart from being younger, Saorin now being here, and the obvious that Luna brought them here. But who cares.

But what surprised her, was that Soarin was also there. But she wasn't exactly complaining.They were all currently near the Canterlot castle gates. Soarin trotted over to rainbow, and put a neckless around her neck. It was in the shape of her cutie mark, but unlike the element of harmony, it was a smooth white stone, around the edge, and a light blue in the middle. "This is for you Dashie, I've wanted to give that to you, before I passed. But it was lost in Hoofington, so it never made it to you, that is until now."

Rainbow is speechless, but manages to look into Soarin's eyes. No words are needed, as Soarin takes the initiative and plants one on the rainbow mare. It's been years since Rainbow felt, the warmth of some pony else, like this. When they finally break apart, they look to the others. Who have a mixture of joy and embarrassment. Laughing sheepishly, Rainbow rubs the back of her head "So... Do you mind if we fly? It's just been years since I had the chance to fly like this."

The others agree to this and they all got ready to fly over Equestria. But before they can take off, Twilight interrupts. "Wait... I have an idea". And with that, each of them are surround in a violet aura. Slowly but surely, each of their colours are changed, from multiply colours to just one. Celestia & Rarity have turned to all white (although it's not a colour), Luna to dark blue, Twilight to purple, Fluttershy to yellow, Pinkie to reddish pink, Applejack to orange, Soarin to a light blue and Rainbow herself, the colours stay the same, but just more vibrant. "I remember you saying, you would like to do a sonic rain boom, at one of your previous birthday's and well... This is so we can do one, without effect the colours of one." Twilight explains, in an almost lecture mode way.

Without anymore interruptions, they get ready to go and pro-form the sonic Rainboom, one last time, like Rainbow wanted. It's not long before they are above Canterlot, looking down at the inhabitants of the city. It's been some time since, she could feel the wind in her mane and face like this. The feeling in your stomach when you're flying, she just missed the overall experience of it. Spotting an area with no clouds, Rainbow points it out, and increase their pace. Since turning to alicorn's, breaking the sound barrier, is still quiet the challenge, but they all mange to do it. It is a dream after all. They increase their speed even more, until eventually, the inevitable happens. The effect, pushes any nearby clouds away easily, making it a clear sunny mourning. The colouring of the group spread across Equuis. Slowing down, the group, slowly but surely land on the ground. It is now hard for Rainbow to keep her eyes open, even though it wasn't any where near physical taxing, its just the signal that the dream will end soon. The group say their last goo bye's leaving Rainbow and Soarin in an embrace. "I love you Soarin" Rainbow suddenly, but quietly blurts out. Soarin can't help but chuckle at his mare. "I love you too Dashie". Rainbow eyes are now closing by them selfs, and with the last of her strength, she gives the biggest smile she can muster.

One by one the princesses wake up. Some immediate start crying, other console them. They all are getting ready to leave, but they all looked to their friend one last time. It is then they see the biggest smile they have seen Rainbow done in a very long time. A smile, she must of done, before he last breath (They think to them selfs). Rainbow might now be gone, but the rainbow trail she left behind, will never fade, along as they (and we) all remember.

Little did they know, Luna and Celestia, made sure the Sonic Rainboom they pro formed, was seen in dreams that night and in reality above Canterlot, for every pony to see that day. So that is the story of The Last Rainbow.

Comments ( 25 )

You have a BIG problem in this fic - word substitution. Using things like "threw" instead of "threw", mixing plurals and possesives, and in at least one case "where" instead of "were". Blow this off if you want, but you and your fics won't be taken seriously at all unless you either get an editor or be more careful about this word choice. The ending is also VERY sudden compared to the rest of the fic, it probably would have been better to make it one of the longest scenes, since it's the climax, instead of one of the shortest.

Yeah, the climax was a bit rushed but otherwise pretty good. Although the reason she's friends with Rarity is kinda...iffy, she made the dress that Soarin saw her in?really? But otherwise pretty good

So much bad grammar and misspellings. Also this same damn story was done just the other so it Is not original.

Im giving this a fav because I think this is what would Rainbow actually do, if she became a princess she would actually be disloyal to her husband. So for her to die so she can be with soarin is more fitting.

4607556 and make up and stuff like that, she helped her in other words

4607503 Just saying you put threw twice. And I see what i can do for the ending :D

I am kind of negatively conflicted with regard to all of these stories with all but 1 of the mane 6 being princesses and the one left out being Dash.

As it currently stands, if any pony would be next in line to be a princess, it would probably be Dash. Sure season 4 hasn't been that good to her, but she was fairly close as of the middle of season 3. AJ and Rarity seem pretty far away still, with Pinkie and Fluttershy in the middle.

If I were to order the ponies by when they became princesses, it would be Twi(obviously), Dash, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and AJ(dragging her hooves).

4607806 True, but I think that is what would happened if they all became princesses but her. Anyway hope you liked it either way :)

However for me the order they are mostly like become a princess would be: Twilight, AJ (because she the most 'complete" there not that many episodes about her slipping up and etc, either because they writers don't know what to do with her, or she's about the best she can be), then maybe rainbow, fluttershy, pinkie, rarity

Although you might agree, my 'favourite pony /(s) is drawn between luna and fluttershy. But to be honest, my favourite character, is easily Discord. He's just my sense of humour, he just a lighter version of the joker, but has the power to what ever comes to mind is all.

the feels on the bus go round and round:fluttercry::pinkiesad2::raritycry::ajsleepy:

4607806

That it true but having a husband kinda changes that to a point. Why would she become immortal [Not true immortality I know] and never get to see her husband on the other side?

4608135

Til death do us part.

4608150

But death does not really exist, much like how time is simply a illusion. It's a concept created by human kind to get a better grasp on the workings of the universe. We've been dead for billions of years, our structure was made from the dust of space.

Lastly Marriage and Love is two different things. Marriage is simply the seal, not the bond between lovers.

4608194 life it self could be an illusion as well. We could be like in that theory of us lot being in a computer simulation or what ever it was. Or there's many and many others.

It was an all right story. I give it a solid 6.5 out of ten. There were a few instances when the sentences should have been split or differently worded, might want to watch for that in the future.

4697679 Thanks :D
And english isn't my strong point, even though it the only language I know fluently.

I am almost craying, that is amazing, i read it like 100000000000 times...:ajsleepy:

The Last Rainbow was a beautiful story :heart: it.

Comment posted by lady Phoenix deleted Aug 19th, 2014

4781136 4872160 Thanks glad you like it :D
:pinkiehappy::rainbowkiss::raritywink::derpytongue2::ajsmug::twilightsmile::moustache::facehoof::trollestia::yay::eeyup:

:trollestia: CELESTIA YOU TROLLER. WHY COULDN'T RAINBOW BECOME A PRINCESS. ALL OF YOUR LESSONS LEAD TO DEATH:raritycry:

DAMMIT!
DAMMITT!
Who does it hurt so much?!
Why do I cry?!
Why.
DAMMIT!

5671569

"For an egghead, your stupid sometimes, you know that Twi? Without death, no pony can truly be alive." And with that Twilight dropped the topic and focused on her friend's birthday.

Because she (Dashie) didn't want to become a princess. :moustache:

That's how she wanted to go out.

Login or register to comment