• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 418 Views, 8 Comments

Learning to Live - Danosaur



A changeling runs away from her family in the Changeling Lands, and tries to survive with her 'gifts' in Equestria.

  • ...
 8
 418

Adapt: To a strange world

Adapt

by Danosaur

Twilight Sparkle was peacefully strolling through Ponyville, her new, permanent home. She had just bought some food for Owloysius from one of her best friend’s Fluttershy, and was heading back home.
A black unicorn galloped into the town center, seeming to be scared and lost. Her attire was… well, Rarity wouldn’t have approved of it. It was rather derogatory. Twilight teleported to the mare’s side, and smiled.
“Hello, I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle. Do you need any help?” She offered, extending her hoof. The black pony seemed as startled as before, her teal tail sweeping over her flanks in suprise. A bit hung from the side of the bridle covering her head, allowing her speech. Her turquoise eyes seemed to flash with green, as she turned to look at the purple alicorn.
“Pri-Princess?” The mare asked in a more than slightly buzzing tone. The alicorn smiled and nodded, but wondered where the unicorn’s accent was from.
“Yes. Do you need any help?” Twilight asked again.
“I… I have no… bed to go to, and I am in great need of... food. But home needed first. I ask too much of you?” The strange unicorn explained in her odd voice, though the accent seemed to be dropping by the second.
“No, no!” Twilight flustered, though the unicorn’s way of speaking confused her. “I have many spare rooms in the li- my castle, you can stay in one of them. As for food, I sure Spike won’t mind cooking for you.”
“Many thank.” The mare bowed her head.
“Are you from Equestria?” Twilight asked, trotting towards her home. The odd unicorn followed slowly, keeping a few paces behind the alicorn.
“N-No.” The young black unicorn closed her eyes and looked away.
‘Touchy subject.’ Thought Twilight. ‘Best leave it alone.’
“Who is by the name Spike?” The mare interrupted Princess Sparkle’s thoughts.
“Oh, he’s my assistant. He’s a dragon.” Twilight chatted happily, ignoring the mare’s ever changing accent. Twilight could swear that the buzz was almost eradicated from the newcomer’s voice, and that it was beginning to sound like her own.
“Dragon? I never remember dragon.” The mare growled quietly, then fell silent.
“What’s your name?” Twilight filled the crushing quiet.
The unicorn paused in her trot. “Worthless.” She muttered quietly.
Twilight was confused by her sudden harshness. Was that meaning that Twilight’s question was worthless? Or that her name was Worthless? Or were names worthless to her? Or-
“Your castle?” The mare announced loudly, pointing.
“Yes! Ah- I mean, yes.” Twilight stuttered.
They trotted to the front door, where two guards were stood. Twilight opened her wings and bowed to them.
“No need, your Highness.” The grey guard replied in a deep voice.
Twilight shook her head. “It’s only fair.”
The guards looked at each other, as if in exasperation.
The white pegasus lowered his wing and allowed the purple alicorn through. Both unicorn and pegasus guards growled and blocked her path as the unicorn mare began to trot.
“I guest of Princess.” The mare announced confidently. The guards sniggered. The unknown mare hissed and her turquoise eyes glowed green as her horn was enveloped by aura. Twilight yelled suddenly, and all three turned to look at her.
“You shall allow my guest in.” Princess Sparkle demanded, as the white pegasus lowered his wing once again, the grey unicorn stallion sidestepping.
The mare trotted into the opening hall to find it filled with several thrones. She shivered, but Twilight passed it off as a draught. The mare really seemed to come into her comfort zone as Twilight showed the unicorn the library room, stuffed with thousands of books. She stared in awe as a smile spread across her face.
“Books.” She sighed happily.
Twilight smiled, and took the new mare on a tour. She seemed to scan her eyes over each book once, as flickers of amusement ran over her face. From then on, she asked Twilight little about the rest of the castle, instead focusing her thoughts on the books, and the 'book room'.
How many genres did they have? How many books were there in total? What was her favourite book? What was her favourite series? The questions went on and on.
“Am I allow to read?” The mare finally asked. When Twilight nodded, she seemed to burst with happiness.
“Thank! Thank! Thank!” The unicorn cried in delight, bouncing in circles. “Wait, books not illegal?” The mares eyes grew wide as Twilight shook her head.
“Perfect land. Perfect bed.” The mare laughed, but paused. “Perfect… Friend?” She smiled as Twilight held out her hand in agreement.
“On one condition.” Twilight smiled. “You tell me where you come from, when you’re ready.” The unicorn nodded reluctantly, after a short pause, and grimaced.
“Show me bed now?” The mare asked.

Twilight had left the foreign mare to get accustomed to her new room, and had left her the library free. Many thoughts were puzzling her. ‘First off, where is she from? I know that accent from somewhere, but… I don’t know where. Though it seems to have disappeared since I met her. And her speech pattern! Oh, I wish I knew her species… but that would be odd, since she is obviously a pony. A unicorn at that. But she looked as if she felt restricted on the ground. I wonder what her past is. Or her name…’ The alicorn sighed as Spike entered the kitchen.
“Hay fries?” Spike asked.
“Hay fries.” Twilight sparkle seriously needed a major boost right now.
“What’s got you down?” Her assistant asked, tying the knot from the cooking apron round his neck, and starting to clatter pans around.
“New pony in town.” Twilight prepared herself for the storm of questions.
“Gender? Race?”
“Mare. Unicorn.”
“Fur colour?”
“Black.”
“Eyes?”
“Turquoise.”
“Mane and tail?”
“Aqua. Short.”
“Cutie mark?”
“Uh… I don’t know.” Twilight frowned.
“And why is she bothering you?” The purple dragon finished as he dunked the now prepared fries in oil.
“I’m not sure. Her accent has changed, and she’s homeless. So I let her stay here.”
“WHAT!?!” Spike yelled, splashing some oil on his foot. “Ouch.” He muttered.
“I’m worried about her Spike!” Twilight backed.
“So am I. She could be Chrysalis’s daughter, for all we know!” Spike exclaimed.

The unicorn’s eyes widened and filled with tears, her hind leg accidentally kicking the kitchen door open as she ran to her temporary room.
The dragon…
He knew.

Author's Note:

New chapter.

Tell me if you are enjoying, my cobras. Also, guess what happens in the next chapter.

Ta ta <3

Comments ( 2 )

Wow twilight is so naive it hurts. Spike burned by oil but not by lava, buck the logic

4667639 Bucking logic is how i live :rainbowdetermined2:

Login or register to comment