• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 462 Views, 19 Comments

Rising Moon - RDash-5000



'Rising Moon' is my first fanfiction. Any and all criticisms are welcome. This is a story about a member of the New Lunar Republic (non-canon) called Spectre. It started out as a perfectly normal Sunday...

  • ...
7
 19
 462

Daybreak (part 1)

Spectre was just an average worker. Just about the only thing that made him different was the fact that he was a member of the New Lunar Republic. He kept this secret. He worked five days a week and usually went to the tavern in the weekend.

His house was in a relatively quite area in Canterlot. It was a fairly open area with lots of grass and trees. He was lucky to live in that area, there weren’t many people and the houses weren’t built very close together.

It was Sunday and Spectre had been woken up by his alarm. “Why did I leave that on?” Spectre asked himself silently. He got dressed, had breakfast and started reading the newspaper. As usual, there wasn’t a great deal happening, other than rumours of an uprising.

He heard a knock at the door. He had never had a knock at the door at 9 in the morning, especially on a Sunday. “Who is it?” He called out from his lounge. A voice from outside of his door replied “The Solar Empire, open the door!”

“It’s open, come in,” Spectre said as he went into the kitchen. The door swung open and two armed soldiers entered his home. They were both holding ugly assault rifles and wearing golden armour. “Come with us,” said the soldier on the left, a tall man with yellow hair and a scar just on his right hand.

“No.” Spectre was standing in front of an open drawer, and that drawer had various pieces of cutlery in it. Forks, spoons, knives of varying sizes...

“Will you come quietly or will we have to drag you?” the man on the right asked threateningly. Spectre replied quite coolly “Neither,” as he reached for the biggest knife he could get. The guards approached him and he pulled the knife out of the drawer.

Spectre then stepped forward, slashing at the guard’s neck. The knife hit perfectly, cutting the yellow haired guard’s throat. Blood dripped out of the wound onto the carpeted floor. The other guard aimed the weapon at Spectre’s head, but his reaction was not quick enough. Spectre punched the guard in the side of the head. He regretted it, he should have thought of the helmet. His left hand hurt.

The soldier fell to the ground almost instantly. Spectre immediately lowered himself and thrust the knife into the soldier’s armour. The knife cut through the armour and into the armoured man’s chest. Spectre had just killed two soldiers of the Solar Empire. He knew that he would have to get out of there as quickly. If he stayed, there would be no way to avoid being discovered.

He had to run. Spectre dashed into his room to grab his backpack. He then began running around his home retrieving various items that he would need to take with him. Within about 5 minutes, his bag was packed with food, a water bottle, a switchblade, some basic supplies and a pistol with a few spare magazines. He found the pistol on one of the dead soldiers.

He had finished packing and went straight for the door. There was no way he could stay in Canterlot after killing two Solar Empire soldiers. They would find him. Where would he go? There wasn’t a single place in Canterlot that he would be safe in. The Everfree Forest would probably be the easiest place to go for now, he could make his way to the ruins of the castle. The castle that used to belong to both Luna and Celestia was now a sort of base for the New Lunar Republic.

Thankfully, not a single person was outside. Every one of the nearby houses had closed curtains. Spectre figured that he may as well not leave anything in his mail box. He opened it and found a single white envelope. It only had Spectre’s name and address on it, none of the sender’s details. He opened it.

Inside was a short letter. It said:
Spectre,
The fight is begging, join us now. The night is coming. The Moon is rising. Now is the time to join our inevitable struggle. It is time to strike back and end her tyranny. You know where to find us.

The letter was obviously from someone inside of the New Lunar Republic. The war was beginning. It was even more important to reach that castle alive. The Solar Empire would most likely discover the two bodies in his house soon. When they did, they would search the whole city for him. The search probably wouldn’t stay inside the city either. If he reached the castle, he would be safe. As long as the war didn’t start before he arrived…

Spectre continued walking. He would have to find a bus or a taxi that he could catch. Walking from one side of a city as large as Canterlot to the other isn’t exactly something that you can do in a day. As he walked, the scenery began changing from grassy fields with the odd house to skyscrapers and factories.

It had taken him about three quarters of an hour to get this far. He saw a bus parking. That bus could save him hours of walking. Spectre approached and entered the bus. “Excuse me; does this bus go to the south side?” Spectre politely asked the bus driver. The driver, a woman with straight blond hair and green eyes, replied “Yes, but it’s not first on the list. It’ll take about an hour and a half to get there.”

“Thanks, how much?” Spectre inquired. The driver pressed some buttons on a pad and replied “56 bits.” He searched his bag for his wallet, doing his best to conceal the weapons that he had stashed as close to the bottom of the bag as possible. He found his wallet dangerously close to the switchblade and removed it from the bag.

He opened the wallet and pulled out a handful of bits. He counted 56 and still had a few bits left over out of the handful. He gave her the 56 and put the remainder back in the wallet. He then slipped the wallet into his pocket. Spectre thought to himself “Why didn’t I just put the wallet and the knife in my pockets in the first place?”

The bus was almost empty; there were only 3 people in there excluding Spectre and the driver. The back of the bus was unoccupied. Spectre walked to the bus and sat down. And so began the long bus ride to the southern part of Canterlot.

The ride was almost completely uneventful, except for one small thing. That small thing was a simple poster on a brick wall that Spectre spotted while the bust was parked at a bus stop. It wasn’t just a normal poster on that wall. The words ‘Resist, Rise up’ were under a picture of the New Lunar Republic’s emblem. War was obviously approaching fast.

As the bus was leaving, Spectre saw a Solar Empire soldier in a yellow white uniform approaching the poster. The bus left seconds before the soldier tore the poster down. It was now clear that Spectre had to get out of there as quickly as possible.

The bus was almost there, only another 10 or 20 minutes left. At one of the last bus stops, Spectre saw three more armed soldiers. All of them were equipped with UMP45 sub-machine guns. He figured that he should get off now. The soldiers were standing around the bus stop.

Spectre exited the bus. He started walking to his destination and the soldiers blocked his way. “Open the bag and empty it,” one of the soldiers commanded Spectre. He opened the bag, put it on the ground and reached for the switchblade and quickly pocketed it. The soldiers didn’t suspect anything about that much.

One of the soldiers approached him, pushed him out of the way and began searching the bag. He soon found the pistol. He removed the pistol. The soldier zipped the bag back up and gave it back. Spectre put the bag back on his shoulders. The guard asked “Why do you have a pistol in your bag?” Spectre had no answer and didn't reply.

The other soldiers raised their weapons and aimed at Spectre. “Spectre, you are under arrest for the killing of two soldiers and illegal possession of a firearm,” the soldier with Spectre’s pistol said. That soldier was quite close…

Spectre grabbed the barrel of the pistol and punched the soldier’s elbow. He quickly spun the soldier around, reached his left arm around his neck and pointed the pistol at the soldiers head, using him as a human shield. The other soldiers had their guns trained on him. If they shot, they would kill one of their own. Spectre moved his aim to the other soldiers.

There was quite a crowd. He heard vehicles approaching. He shot the soldiers that were aiming their weapons quickly and they dropped to the ground. The crowd of civilians screamed and ran. Spectre shot the soldier that he was shielding himself with in the head and let him go. He searched the body of the soldier that he shot in the head. He found a pistol holster and immediately put it to use. He reloaded the pistol and put it in the holster. Spectre also picked up the UMP45 and some ammunition for it. He started running.

The noise of the vehicles was getting closer and closer. Spectre ran even faster through the city. He could see the gateway that lead out of the city. Just when he thought that he had lost them, a vehicle approached. It was obviously meant for troop transportation; the back had no roof and had about 5 soldiers in it. Spectre hid behind a wooden crate.

He heard a door open. Someone jumped out. The door closed. “Come out, we know you’re here,” a voice commanded. Spectre decided to take a quick look at who was talking. To his surprise, the man that was talking was not wearing a Solar Empire uniform. The man was wearing a black uniform with a white crescent moon on both shoulders. A New Lunar Republic uniform.

Author's Note:

This is the first part of le fanfic. Feel free to criticise, this is my first serious attempt at writing. I will not be offended.

Comments ( 17 )

Generic OC war story?

How original.

Not horrible, probably needs a little more work to be put into but not necessarily bad. Keep up the work:pinkiesmile:
Also some music for the story

4477955 *cough* Adrian *cough* *cough*

4478286 You're referring to a cancelled fic I haven't touched in over a year to make me look like a hypocrite.

And you're wrong.


4478368 4478368 While the fic maybe canceled, the original idea is still there, there fore hypocrisy still stands, which is both a good and a bad thing

4478267 this is my very first attempt at writing a fanfiction (or story of any kind) so I agree with you. Thanks for the feedback

How do you think I could improve this chapter? I promise, I won't be offended.

4486890 Thanks! :) I'll try and add some more details. It might take a while due to exams.

All hail the Lunar Republic

My laptop just broke. I have a new one and have lost all of my progress, so it will take a while before i actually finish improving the first chapter and writing the second.

well, this site was blocked one my computer for some reason but no longer is, so i haven't been making much progress with improving my story and making the second chapter

Hey just wondering if this is going to continue
(I am cleaning out my Read Later and tgis has neen in since may)

5151628 I completely forgot about this and just remembered it. I'll work on it :derpytongue2:

Comment posted by RDash-5000 deleted Jan 6th, 2015

I should probably be working on this now

I'm probably not going to finish this. I'm focused on other things like music anc school. If you give a shit, music is one of the only things that I'm even close to being passionate about

Login or register to comment