• Published 1st Jul 2014
  • 483 Views, 7 Comments

A house, a mare and... Flutterponies?! - Bandana The Reaper



When Shimmering Sparks hoped tomorrow would bring her something good to break her streak of bad luck she got... well, she got something that might be good... right?

  • ...
 7
 483

A Study On Flutterponies: first entry

After silently lamenting over the absent of her beloved ambrosia for 10 minutes, (she managed to get the extra five minutes by giving Sweet Tooth another apple when the flutterpony asked why she was bumping her head on the table over and over again.) Shimmering decided she might as well give her house guest a proper tour of the house.

There was the kitchen (where all the tasties was), hallway, living room, bottom floor bathroom (another scary waterfall.) laundry room (explaining what 'laundry' meant was difficult since Sweet Tooth didn't know what sheets were.) stairs up to the floor above, upstairs bathroom, workroom, (off-limits to Sweet Tooth do to there being way too many things that could potentially hurt her.) office (once again something hard to explain since Sweet Tooth didn't know what 'paperwork' was... or paper for that matter.) and lastly...

“-and this is my bedroom,” Shimmering said to Sweet Tooth as they entered, doing a slight sweeping motion with her foreleg, “this is where I sleep.”

“Uh-huh,” Sweet Tooth nodded while rubbing her foreleg over her eyes.

Shimmering noticed how subdued the flutterpony had been since she'd started the tour.

“Sweet Tooth, its okay to say if you think this is boring, I won't take offense.”

“Nu-uh, not boring,” the little flutterpony shook her head, a yawn escaping her, “tired.”

“Oh,“ Shimmering looked over to her clock, it was a little over an hour til noon, “I guess its been a very eventful day.”

“Mm,” Sweet Tooth rubbed her eyes again, “didn't sleep in the not-let-go-y thingy, not comfy with shinies in it.”

'Shinies in a not-le- ooh, the box,' Shimmering nodded in realisation, “yeah, I guess that wouldn't be comfortable.”

“Nu-uh.”

“Just wait there and I'll make a place for you to sleep on,” Shimmering told the sleepy flutterpony as she made her way to her closet.

“'kay...”

'Alright, how do we do this?' Shimmering thought to herself as she opened the closet, 'shes too small to sleep in the bed-sofa, not to mention its a health hazard for ponies my size, so thats a big fat no,' she picked up a spare pillow along with a fresh pillow-case and began to put them together, 'besides, I prefer to keep her close in case these 'Watchers' do anything else.'

'How do we know she's not with them?' the more paranoid part of her mind asked, only to be shoved back into its dark corner by her resolve.

'She could sleep with me, wait, scratch that, I tend to toss and turn a lot, at least according to Star I do,' Shimmering continued to ponder, 'she did tend to complain about it when we had slumber-parties back when we were fillies... and early teens... and late teens...' she sighs, 'I really need to meet with Star more often, she always gets me to calm down...' Shimmering smiles a bit and then frowns, '...and get under my skin with her teasing and jokes... good times.'

She shakes off her nostalgia and gets back on track, 'anyways, thats probably not a good idea either, so where does she sleep then?' Shimmering finishes up with the pillow, 'heck, even the pillow is larger than her, she could use it as a- That's it! Sweet Tooth can use the pillow as a bed!' she goes to grab another pillow-case, 'and she can use this as covers!'

“Alright Sweet Tooth, I think I go-” Shimmering started to say as she turned around, only to find that Sweet Tooth was no longer fluttering in the air, but hanging by her tail from her coat-hanger, two pegs away from her pink morning robe, sound asleep.

'...huh, interesting way to fall asleep on,' Shimmering thought as she walked over to the sleeping flutterpony.

Sweet Tooth was hanging an inch or so from the wall, head and legs tucked close to her body, chest rising and falling in a calm, steady pace.

'Well, I guess I'll just pick her down then,' Shimmering wrapped Sweet Tooth in her magic to prevent her from falling as she began working on loosening her tail.

'Come on, let go now,' Shimmering thought, trying her best to coach Sweet Tooth's tail to let go without putting too much pressure on it, but ultimately failing, 'okay, so she's got an iron grip on it, I'll just make sure she got something soft to land on, just in case.'

Shimmering left the pillow beneath the sleeping flutterpony before leaving the room.

'So... what do I do know?' Shimmering pondered, 'I'm not completely sure what I can do about this whole situation... for now I'll just try to go about it as any other day.'

She set about it, cleaning what needed to be cleaned, fixing the mirror, taking out the trash and going over which bills she needed to pay.

'-and these ones can wait for now,' Shimmering thought as she put the last envelope with bill and bits to pay said bill along the rest of her soon-to-be-paid bill-envelopes, 'now all I have to do is give these to the mail-pony and I'll no longer have any last warning bills!'

Shimmering slumped back into her office-chair, her eyes drawn to the box of bits on her desk.

'Whoever these 'Watchers' are they at least gave me something to brighten up my day,' Shimmering continued to think as she grabbed the box and made her way to her workroom, putting the box back in her hiding spot, 'I've paid most of my bills and I'm still left with over three million!'

Shimmering closed the workroom door before poking her head into her bedroom to check on Sweet Tooth, who was still hanging where she left her, snoozing away.

'Still sleeping upside-down, it seems so weird,' Shimmering thought as she went back into her office, 'then again, that might be perfectly normal for Sweet Tooth... come to think of it, I don't really know anything about flutterponies in general, heck, I've just been calling her a flutterpony since neither of us know what her species is.'

She slumped down in her chair, deep in though, 'none of the books I have got anything useful information about this, nor do I know where I could find any, for all I know Sweet Tooth's race could be completely unheard of in Equestria.'

'Unheard of...' Shimmering sat a little straighter in her seat, 'that would mean I'm the first to make contact with a new sentient being, sweet Faust I've made first contact!'

'Technically those 'Watchers' did, since they delivered Sweet Tooth to me first.'

'Shut up logic, I'm on a tangent here... ye, I get really odd when I'm without coffee, don't I?'

'Only when I'm really stressed out as well.'

'FOCUS DAMMIT!'

Shimmering snapped out of her self-argument, shaking her head a bit before starting to get writing supplies out of her desk-drawers.

'Anyways, if I'm the first one to properly speak to a new sentient being I better write down my observations for later studies,' she thought with a giddy smile, 'oh this is going to be exciting, this might be what Jade Goodall felt like when she studied the Zebrican mountain gorillas!'

'Nerd.'

'Shut up.'

Shimmering placed everything she needed to write before her in neat piles and lines before picking up her pen to begin.

'WAIT!' the pen stopped just above the paper, 'they're watching you!'

Shimmering groaned on the inside, 'great, now my paranoia is being verbal.'

'Shut up and listen!' the part of her mind she tried to ignore most of the time spoke up, 'if these 'Watchers' keep tabs on what I'm doing they might look this over as well, I can't let them steal my work.'

'Okay, so what do I do instead? I mean I could have use for this, or somepony else could if they come across more flutterponies.'

'*sigh* sometimes I wonder if the coffee I drink is smarter than I... write it in the secret code I came up with Star.'

Shimmering sat still for a little while before face-hoofing, 'why didn't I think of that?'

'I just did, I'm just so caffeine-starved I don't realize I'm talking to myself.'

'...shut up logic.'

'Just get on with it already.'

Thinking over how to formulate her findings Shimmering began to write.

~ ~ ~

A Study on Flutterponies

By Shimmering Sparks

What I'm about to write is all based on my observations of one flutterpony named Sweet Tooth and is therefore not to be considered the norm for all flutterponies.

I've come to refer Sweet Tooth as a 'flutterpony' only do to not having any other name for what she is, Sweet Tooth herself does not seem to know herself.

For now I'll consider all information I have as the norm until proven otherwise, will very likely re-write this several times as I learn more.

First of all: what a flutterpony looks like.

Based on Sweet Tooth they're about a hoof and a half tall, with the same build as your average pegasus with a couple of differences.

The first difference is that they have two pairs of transparent dragon-fly wings about two hoofs long from tip to tip, when Sweet Tooth flies she beats them rapidly, just like that of a colibri, but with little to no sound to them, making her quite possibly very stealthy if needed to.

She got a pair of fuzzy antennas in the same color as her coat, unknown use.

Lastly her tail is like a griffins and Sweet Tooth have used it to grip things such as food, my ear and recently to attach herself to my coat-hanger in order to sleep, still unknown if sleeping upside-down in this manner is normal, but she have been for about an hour and a half now, so posible.

I've made a simple drawing of what Sweet Tooth looks like, see attached drawing.

Second: behavior.

Again, this is solely based on one flutterpony and therefor not the norm, but do to the lack of other flutterponies will be the only behavior study I've been able to do right now.

Sweet Tooth is qurius yet at the same time ignorant of a lot of things, main interest seems to be food, or 'tasties' as she calls them. She is very energetic and talks in a rapid way.
She is almost constantly happy, only at a few times has she had this emotion change and during most of those times its been short lived.

The times when this happened were first when she was worried when I had passed out on the floor (for reasons I will not be getting into), second was when I was showing her how the toilet worked, she was scared of the flushing (apparently reminds her of waterfalls, don't know reason behind fear), third was when I told her to stay at home while I was going out to buy food (she panicked, burrowing into my mane and refused to leave, kept going on about not wanting to be alone again, will have to find out more about that)

She speaks and understands Equestrian, though tends to use simple describing words for most things she doesn't know the word for or that seems too complex for her to remember (Sweet Tooth is unable to say my name correctly and uses a nickname instead, she down below.)

Some of the words she uses are:

'Tasties' for most types of foods, often with another simple describing word along with it (sweet, stingy, crunchy, etc.)
'Thingy' for most inanimate objects.
'Shinies' means bits or things that are shiny.
'Big-pony' or simply 'Big' referring to ponies in general, comes from her referring to me as 'Biggy' the first time she saw me, from her point of view it makes perfect sense considering everypony is bigger than her.

Third: Eating Habits.

Sweet Tooth eats the same things as ponies to, though seems to be able to eat things several times her own size without visible gain of weight and will do so with gusto, very likely has very fast metabolism in order to do so, will eventually get full, though will continue nibbling at food at a slow pace.

When I told Sweet Tooth she didn't need to eat a piece of food I thought she didn't like -do to her just nibbling on it for 10 minutes where as before she'd eaten things far bigger in half that time- she tried to stuff it all in her mouth at once, even though she was full, when I then told her she could leave it for later she kept checking on it, like it would disappear if she didn't.

A theory is that Sweet Tooth is used to food being scarce or that somepony else will take it from you left alone for too long.

If this is true then Sweet Tooth is a very caring being.

I had -for lack of a better term- a small breakdown when I came back home for reasons I prefer not going into right now, during this Sweet Tooth gave me a celery stalk I'd given her earlier to snack on, hoping it would make me feel better since -in her own words- 'tasties make everything better'.

While I write this I come to realise just how much Sweet Tooth trust me and seem to think highly of me, a couple of times referring to me as 'the besties big-pony everyplace'.

Kind of like how I always thought of my grandmother.

I miss her.

maybe I should have left that out, becoming a bit too personal.

I will continue this when I have more information.

Will most likely have to rewrite a lot of this anyway.

~ ~ ~

With a sigh Shimmering puts down her quill, running a fetlock over her eyes.

'Well... I guess this will do for now,' Shimmering thought as she put away her writing material and putting her notes in a folder, 'what time is it?'

Looking up at the clock she saw it was just a few minutes to being four-o-clock.

'Really, that much?' Shimmering shook her head as she got out of her chair, 'I better check on Sweet Tooth.'

Entering the bedroom she saw that Sweet Tooth was still sleeping where she'd left her.

'Still haven't fallen down, good,' Shimmering thought as she stepped closer to the flutterpony, 'for being in a completely new place with a stranger she just met Sweet Tooth sure sleeps okay.'

Sweet Tooth's nose twitched a little along with one of her antennas, she mumbled something.

'Hm?' Shimmering's ears poked up, 'did she say something?' she leaned closer to listen.

“Zzz... buzzing... gone... Zzz... no... don't leave... don't wanna be alone... Zzz... Biggy... don't go... no buzzing... don't leave me...” Sweet Tooth mumbled, reaching out with her forelegs in Shimmering's general direction.

'She sounds worried,' Shimmering thought as she leaned back a bit, watching as Sweet Tooth kept reaching out around her, her mumbling getting more worried, 'oh dear, she might be having a nightmare, what do I do?'

Looking around for something that might give her an idea Shimmering's eyes fell on her morning robe.

'Hmm, she reacted to my sent, so maybe...' Shimmering lit up her horn and grabbed the fuzzy robe's equally fuzzy belt and pulled it loose, 'okay, lets see if this works.'

She began bringing it closer to Sweet Tooth before suddenly stopping.

'… better make sure,' Shimmering brought it close to her instead, then rubbed her face against it and ran it over her mane as well, 'there, now it definitely smells like me.'

Once again she brought the end of the belt closer to Sweet Tooth, whose wings were now giving of a nervous flutter now and then.

Sweet Tooth's nose twitched again, her forelegs made contact with the belt and she gripped it, pulling it close.

Sweet Tooth sniffed it a couple of times before a small smile appeared on her lips as the flutterpony hugged the fuzzy belt tighter.

“Mmm... Biggy,” she mumbled, giving of a content sigh as she seemed to drift into a calmer sleep.

Shimmering couldn't help but smile at the flutterpony hugging her morning robe belt like a security blanket, 'sweet Faust she's cute when she does that.'

'Its just her size that makes it seem cute.'

'Shut up brain,’ She thought to herself as she tied the other end of the belt to the peg next to Sweet Tooth’s, ‘cute beats logic.'

Blinging in realisation of what she was thinking, Shimmering face-hoofed, '...aaand I'm arguing with myself again... I'm too tired for this.'

'Then go sleep.'

'Its four in the afternoon.'

'And?'

'And... uhh...'

'I'm unemployed and have a heap load of bits, I can sleep whenever I want.'

'...good point.'

This followed with another face-hoof, '...aaand now I'm congratulating myself,' Shimmering thought with a sigh as she walked to her bed, 'just go to sleep before I start referring to myself in third person.'

'Shimmering agrees.'

Shimmering did a double take on what she just thought before rolling her eyes, 'oh har-de-har har.' she thought as she slipped under her covers, getting comfortable.

'Well, this has been an eventful day,' Shimmering thought as she looked over at the sleeping flutterpony, 'never thought I'd be forced into being a host for an unknown species by some shadow organisation bent on... whatever they're trying to do with this.'

She frowned, 'well one thing is certain, I'm going to keep Sweet Tooth safe, no matter what.'

As Shimmering closed her eyes she started drifting into the land of sleep, thoughts wandered back through her day, the early awakening, Sweet Tooth naming her ‘Biggy’, the shock at the large amount of bits, the embarrassing trip to the market, the smelly drunk bum who she threw bits at to keep him silent… three bits… three gold bits.

She opened her eyes, staring dumbfounded at nothing in particular.

‘I think I threw at least 300 bits at a bum...’

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment