• Published 30th Jun 2014
  • 781 Views, 7 Comments

The Horsican Wars - carefreedude



The war from the early days of Equestria that could have changed the entirety of history.

  • ...
 7
 781

Explanation

As many of you have probably already have guessed, this is a retelling the second Punic war. I wanted to do a fic that would teach this war in a way that people of this fandom would enjoy. Since many of the names of people and places were changed to accommodate this goal, I shall give a brief on the actual names.

Characters:
Hannibal = Hannibal Barca
Hasdrubal = Hasdrubal Barca
Hamilcar = Hamilcar Barca
Mago = Mago Barca (Infantry commander and military advisor)
Light Hurricane = Gaius Terentius Varro
Skippaloo = Publius Cornelius Scipio
Skippaloo Junior = Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (He receives the title of Africanus after the war)
Bucky = Maharbal (Cavalry commander and military advisor)
Ironside = (Leader of that particular set of Gaul. Unable to provide actual name)
Sharp Longsword = Sempronius Longus
Grand Fortune = Gaius Flaminius
Elusive Gemini = Gnaeus Servilius Geminus
Clover the Clever = Quintus Fabius Maximus
Flutter Pansy = Lucius Aemilius Paullus
Tallonless = Massinissa
Gingersnap = Gaius Laelius
Theo Lumbermane = Random soldier that I choose to lead the frontal assault on Horsegonova.
Frost Shock = Unicorn I used to explain how they got passed the lagoon to Horsegonova.

Places:
Equestria = Italy controlled by Rome
Horsica = Carthage in northern Africa
Griffin Kingdom/Territory = Spain
Mediterneighdian = Mediterranean
Sicihay = Sicily
Emperor River = Ebro River
Crystal Mountains = The Alps
The river that Hannibal defeated Longsword at = Trebbia River
Neiagra Falls = Lake Trasimene (I decided to make it Neiagra Falls to accommodate the layout of Equestria)
Foal Mountains = Cannae
Horsegonova = Cartagonova
Zebrana = Zana

Creatures:
Horses and Zebra = Carthaginian forces from Africa
Ponies = Romans
Griffins = Numidian cavalry (Note: The Griffin Kingdom is Spain, but the Griffins are not. Sorry if this is confusing)
Pegasi = Roman cavalry
Minotaurs = Gauls

Events:
The battle of Cartagonova did not have magic. In reality, Scipio was able to make his surprise assault because a squall came and drained the lagoon for him. I just wanted Unicorns to have a bigger role in the story.

Comments ( 7 )

Hah, I like how the picture is a mirrored Europe with the lower part of Italy removed. Clever ;P

Another aficionado of the Punic Wars? Excellent concept!

I rather like the idea of Twilight's lesson being used as a framing device, but I think you have a very good idea here that could be expanded into a pretty epic... epic. Have you considered splitting it into chapters and expanding on it?

4626085

I actually didn't consider that. You are right, it would probably be more interesting like that. Perhaps I'll rewrite it sometime.

4626007

It would have originally been kept un-mirrored, but I noticed that the Griffin Kingdom is actually east of Equestria, not west. I just wanted to be as accurate to both the show and the actual history as possible.

I am also very limited when it comes to drawing.

Nice fic. I like history and I like what you did. Also, I noticed you took some inspiration from Hannibal Rome's Worst Nightmare and Extracredits's Youtube videos on the Punic Wars. Are you going to more with this?

-W.S.

4644003

I am currently undecided if I will do more with this or not. I actually have been considering continuing another fic I've got on hiatus at the moment. But I may come back to this sometime and expand on specific subjects, maybe even split it up into chapters.

I also put the links to both videos you were refering to in the authors note. I didn't want to take credit for their work.

Very clever! I especially liked the ending part between Twi and Spike about how history is written by the winners.

Login or register to comment