• Published 28th Mar 2012
  • 2,074 Views, 43 Comments

Observer Prime - RoseluckyCinor



A man must observe a new planet for possible interstellar contact.

  • ...
3
 43
 2,074

An Epilogue

Observer: An Epilogue

When the Federation first laid its eyes on Planet 106x9, it knew what it had to do. As with all new species, the Federation first needed to get a grasp on whether or not people would be accepting of the new species. That mean observations were in order.

Observer Prime’s first look at 106x9 was filled with wonder and amazement. He was enchanted by the wondrous creature’s society and life. However, the Federation had different eyes with which to view the species. They saw them merely as a source of income in the form of taxes.

At Observer’s reports, and minor dealings with the ruling equines, the Federation learned of the planets great riches and no defense. It was a gold mine. After hearing the Federation’s plans, Observer knew he had to do something to stop the planet’s ruin.

Observer’s death accomplished his task; the equines discovered his last recording after it landed on the planet. Eventually it found its way to the ruling equines. With the information of the impending attack they were able to form a hasty defense against the Federation’s raiding ships.

The casualties on both sides climbed higher and higher until finally the Admiral called off the attack. The equines had won the battle, the first battle in centuries, but at a terrible cost. Whatever innocence they'd had before the fight was gone now. The equines knew the true horrors that lied outside their little planet. Theirs was a broken world.

On the Fleet's retreat, the admiral was left with a choice. It was Federation protocol to destroy possible threats to the central worlds. The admiral, however, decided against it. The planet remained and began to heal. At his return to headquarters he was charged with treason against the Federation. With his last words he denounced the Federation's tactics.

Few on planet 106x9 knew of Observer; those that did knew his sacrifice for the planet.

Forever immortalized at the Location Alpha castle, he will always be close to the planet and species that he loved.

Comments ( 18 )

It's been real great guys, thanks for reading this the whole way through.

that will do observer....that will do...:fluttercry:

So a bunch of spears, swords and arrows fended off a space armada? :rainbowhuh: Seems legit. :unsuresweetie:

464342
Don't forget the magic.

464778 Even with magic, the ponies would be crushed into the dust. I liked the story until your 200 word ending that was practically "the ponies win, kthxbai"

464786
Hmmm, true. I'll see what I can do.

464786

Celestia and Luna move the sun and the moon. It's not too much of a stretch to say that they could use them as bludgeoning weapons against extraterrestrial threats (or at least, use the moon as such, and just spam solar flares at anything that's left).

466857 Use the moon to bludgeon a spaceship? Firstly, it takes Luna a MASSIVE amount of energy to "Raise the moon" (Canon term) she doesn't control it, much less could she move it out of its place, beat a hunk of metal with it, then put it back. Regarding celestial flares, that is much more probable, but would bombarding her planets atmosphere with magnetic radiation really be a true victory? after the fact, she'd have damaged her planet's atmosphere considerably just to get the fleet's computers offline. Albeit, this would cripple the fleet, but it's still guns vs swords. My final point, the ponies are just ONE planet. The Federation has more resources, manpower and firepower, regardless of how resource rich Equestria is. Even if said scenario was true and the ponies evenly matched the humans in firepower, The Humans would have a vast pool of soldiers while the ponies, would have a relatively small pool.
Phew. Long-winded defenses really tire me out.

467819

The ponies don't have to win, they just have to not lose. If you're only trying to defend a single planet, that's as close to point defense as the space age gets. Factoring in magic, the Elements' tactical rainbow strike, and the princesses' ability to manipulate at least two of of the more prominent objects in the solar system in ways that could disable or destroy large swathes of invading fleets, and the ponies could certainly last long enough for the Federation to decide that they'd spend more to take the planet than they'd get from strip-mining it.

Also, I'm not sure how much energy it actually takes to raise the moon, given our general lack of knowledge on the setting, but if most of it is being used to refine the accuracy of the movement (the farther you are from an object, the harder it is to manipulate it with precision) then Luna could most certainly be able to just fling the moon erratically around the planet and use less power than normal.

Plus, bear in mind that the reason solar flares don't do more than disable computers is because there aren't any people up there. That level of radiation bombardment would easily kill anything without significant defenses, and the only cost to Equestria would be worldwide auroras.

468163 Since we're getting more detailed, lets factor in the humans' force multipliers: Infintely many soldiers, interstellar spaceships, extremely efficient projectile weapons, greater tactical experience, and extremely powerful explosives (ie nuclear bombs). Despite the fact that Luna may be able to 'fling' the moon at ships, catching it after throwing it would be a different story and would probably require more energy (speculation of course). Celestia's sun, if used to destroy the fleet, would fry the planet. I don't care what you say, the sun being close enough to be in the planets orbit = dead planet. Adressing your "point defense" it barely matters, considering once the ground forces land, they're practically unstoppable. What's to stop the humans from raiding random cities? Surely that wouldnt be point defense because the Equestrian army would have to engage the enemy, not on their terms.
Magic wouldnt be a problem, seeing as most unicorns can only levitate small to medium sized objects, and 'tactical rainbooms' would be no match for the humans provided that they have sufficient AA.

468163
468676
From my point of view, I think that Equestria could have made a pretty good defense.
They could have:
1. Dragons and such.
2. If they can move around the sun and moon, why not be able to grab asteroids, comets?

Also, bear in mind the admiral was expecting next to no casualties from this.

468685 maybe, but I'd doubt they'd win if they had to employ such tactics on and invasion that 'expects no casualties' plus, if all else failed and they really were forced to retreat, do you not think they would launch orbital nuclear strikes on the planet to spite the 'lost cause'?

468698
I like your point. I really do.:rainbowkiss: I might make a small addition to the epilogue.

469012 I appreciate your consideration of my concern, I look forward to more of your stories in the future

468685 Now, I know one, this comment was forever ago, and two, I have not yet read this - it is in my read later list - but I'd like to point out a few things from what I have gathered thus far...

First and foremost, the thing that gets me is "Why is the Federation interfering with Equestria?" They do have this thing called the 'Prime Directive' that forbids them from interfering with pre-warp civilizations. This right here, has really got me scratching my head, but I am willing to put that aside, on the off chance that there is something going on that I don't know about...?

The other thing that gets me is the Sun and Moon as weapons. How would either be used as weapons? Any level of radiation that could effect Federation starships would be lethal to life on Equis (Equestria). The far inferior Klingon Bird of Prey, in Star Trek IV, used the Sun as a slingshot to travel back in time, and it got pretty damned close! Now Federation ships have far better shields that would protect them from anything that would not kill the Equestrians. Now, the moon is pretty damned big and anything that large would be easy enough for a starship to dodge, seeing that their warp drive requires little to no spool-up time (like some Sci-Fi FTL Drives do). Now as for asteroids and comets, Starfleet uses them as target practice, so I doubt that they'd prove any real threat...

Just a few thoughts before I start reading. Hopefully it helps?

1370599

This isn't based on Star Trek, I think that may have gotten you a little tripped up. I just really like the name 'Federation' for a sci-fi collective.

:derpytongue2:

1374652 Well now, that certainly changes things... :twilightblush:
I do still think that using the Sun, Moon, or asteroids as weapons would be of limited effectiveness though. Either way I look forward to reading this, as it is next on my reading list!

Login or register to comment