• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 848 Views, 16 Comments

The Shadow and The Spark - CybertronPrincess



A pony called Harmony Spark has revived King Sombra from the dead and she attempts to befriend and possibly reform him. But Harmony finds out that there is more to him than meets the eye.. She fears something... Or someone, is controlling him. So

  • ...
7
 16
 848

A Hidden Bond

Chapter 6: A Hidden Bond

Sombra and Harmony walked past many houses and roads, with a glowing sunset beaming on the horizon. The sky slowly turned from its crimson orange to a deep night sky blue. Finally, they walk upon a house on top of a hill, which had looked over all of Ponyville. A long, bended tree was its only decoration. Sombra was surprised how a house so simple and rustic could be the home of an alicorn princess? Speaking of which, Harmony herself recognised his confused look and managed to strike a conversation with him.

“Well, this is it. I know it’s a little simple and it’s a bit unexpected from an alicorn. But hey, it’s a home.” Harmony asked, with an optimistic tone. “Okay, I’m gonna get dinner ready, so why don’t you look around the house? Oh and your bedroom is up the stairs, first door on the right.” She explained calmly. Using her hoof, Harmony opened the door. Sombra gazed with wonder as he first caught his eye on the décor. The hallway was a mist blue, covered with waves of white, which almost looked like clouds. The velvet carpets were in a rich cerise and a deep purple. He looked in the kitchen, where his eyes were temporarily blinded by the cream white that was painted on the walls with blue tiles as the floor. Sombra HAD to know who did this. His amazement of the interior was truly something he wanted besides his power.

“I thought that Canterlot was a sight, but this…This was a work of art. Harmony, who did this?” he asked Harmony.

Harmony was surprised that Sombra appreciated art, but she was also concerned that the last time Sombra complimented on something, that something in his mind tortured him. Harmony didn’t really know what to say. But as soon as she saw Sombra’s genuinely curious look, she took a deep breath and answered:
“Why do you want to know?” Harmony responded, slightly nervous over his reaction.

“I just want to know because… your house looks…looks… looks beautiful.” Sombra replied, struggling to suppress positivity in his voice, worrying that the creature might torture him again. Harmony then saw his look of worry quickly turn to his permanent scold. Harmony then knew that Sombra was scared about this creature that possessed him and she wanted it to be her duty to prevent this creature from destroying Sombra. His quick impression of fear and his stammering proved to Harmony that there’s a whole heart of goodness in Sombra, but this creature inside him was clearly something supernatural. She tried to carry on the conversation.

“Well, I don’t wanna brag, but I painted it. I’ve always had an artistic flair, even as a filly.” Harmony added. Sombra looked upon the mare with genuine surprise. Her art and her personality showed her pure, kind and devoted heart as he kept pondering at the brilliant blue swirls that coloured the ceiling. He was actually impressed. Not himself but in the colourful world Harmony scoped. Happy that his nerves were removed, Harmony continued to talk; “I also did a literature, medical and an art course in Trottingham University.” She added, suddenly perking up Sombra’s curiosity.

“You lived in a mere country town?” Sombra questioned.

“Yep, I was born there. My family own a big bakery over there, which has become extremely popular over the years. I really do miss them; they were like my best friends. Of course, I have friends NOW. But, when I was little, I was pretty much alone…” Harmony explained to a curious Sombra.

For the first time, Sombra wanted to know how did Harmony move to Ponyville? Why was she so alone if she still had such a likable personality? He wasn’t doing this for some evil conspiracy, but he just…wanted to know. At first, Harmony’s bright, exuberant nature annoyed him deeply, but now after her standing up to him and constantly trying to help him, even though he didn’t need it; he wanted her to tell her what happened to her and maybe, if he can, without getting detected by the creature, he can tell Harmony that it’s okay… He was afraid to say though. This creature inside him was about to strike at any moment if he showed some morality. Or emotion, for that matter. All he could do is make an expression. Something to carry on the conversation…

“What’s the matter, Sombra? Do you need something?” Harmony asked to Sombra, twitching and shaking in anxiety. He then found a note. He used his shielded magic to grab a nearby quill. He wrote a message in very unsteady handwriting. But the message was clear enough for Harmony to understand. As the alicorn read the message Sombra wrote, it was only three, modest words: “Tell me more.”

At first, Harmony was sceptic. She looked closely into Sombra’s eyes to check that, the creature that has possessed him, was trying to deceive her. Fortunately, the stallion’s confused eyes were his usual red colour, but no green or purple appeared. To her relief, Harmony continues her story:

“Well, when I was a filly, I was quite different than everypony else. Not individually different, but different in the mind. I was very imaginative and creative when I was a foal. Ponies everywhere LOVED my work. They always wanted to be my friend. And I wanted to be theirs to. I was childish and I played with toys, but so was everypony else. So it seemed like life was a breeze for me. But things changed for them, especially me.” Harmony explained to Sombra. She stopped, still unsure of sharing her past with an evil spirit. But Sombra was really concerned and curious about her. So with a cautious heart, Harmony continued.

“As soon as everypony in my class went to a primary school, I was still my creative self, always playing with toys but mature enough to do my studies, but everypony didn’t respect me anymore. I didn’t know what happened. I didn’t do or say anything wrong. So my parents and teachers had a meeting with me about school. That’s when I realised that I didn’t grow up with my classmates. Sure I’m responsible and I always try to take care of myself, but ponies alienated themselves from me… Life just took a blow to me and I didn’t know… So, I normally spent my time alone with my family, helping out with the deliveries, playing with my dogs and yeah, I was alone, but I got used to it……So, after I got my cutie mark,….. my parents decided to have a mentor to take care of my studies, so Princess Cadance took me in.” Harmony continued her story, suspiciously pausing her sentences nervously..

The moment she mentioned Cadance’s name, Sombra stood in confusion. How is Cadance suddenly her mentor? How did she become an alicorn in the first place? He knew Harmony was hiding something. Something very valuable. Something to aid him in his plans. His curiosity slowly turned to anger. As soon as he calmed down, Sombra then thought, maybe he should stop trying to get answers out of the alicorn. Maybe she doesn’t want feel comfortable telling me. But as soon as he considered this, something came back… Something that Sombra knew that would come. He tried to fight it, but to no avail… he was once again under the creature’s spell. Harmony stopped in her conversation as she saw the whites of Sombra’s eyes turning green. Worried, Harmony took a step back and tried to stand tall and explain her reasons of not telling the entire story.

“Why did Cadance become your mentor? Why did you become an alicorn? Tell me, my curiosity is overpowering me. ” Sombra asked in calmly twisted tone. He wanted to know what was going on. And he did NOT want any excuses.

Harmony, angered that Sombra would not listen without getting information out of her, simply answered back: “I’m not telling you, Sombra.” She wanted to share a story with somepony, not to get interrogated.

“I want you to tell me.” Sombra replied, struggling to contain his fury. Harmony, beginning to feel scared, kept on walking back against the wall. As the alicorn gritted her teeth in aggression, Sombra slowly walked towards her, growling under his breath. The two meet eye to eye. Harmony doesn’t want any of this chaos. She was tired. Tired of dealing with too much hatred and fear. She was tired of dealing with this conflict. She didn’t want to hurt her friend. No matter how much he offended her. Eventually, Harmony took a deep sigh, looked at an enraged Sombra in the eyes once more and merely said in a slightly annoyed tone; “I’m going to bed.”

Sombra was ready to lung at the stern mare as she walked away, but he just stood, staring lividly at her. He was too angry to do anything. He wanted to get this frustration all out. Throw something at her, strangle her or hit her until she falls to the floor. Anything. But somehow, he just couldn’t do it. As Harmony left the room as she walked up the velvet stairs, Sombra sat down on a chair, pondering on what just happened. Why didn’t he attack Harmony? Why couldn’t he let all this anger out on her?
All day, things have been nothing but questions for him. Every hour, something made him confused, something made him curious. There was change all around him. But as the grey stallion thought about his anger, he realised it wasn’t HER fault that Harmony made him angry. It was himself. He thought that, maybe she didn’t want to tell him because… because she felt scared or worried about telling me. Sombra didn’t know why she didn’t tell him but he should probably leave Harmony alone. He should try to stop trying to get information but of her and try something else…maybe.

Upstairs, an angered Harmony quickly went into her bedroom and leapt onto her bed, tired and upset. She had enough of Sombra causing such trouble for her. How dare he would insult her in not only her home, but everywhere they’ve been! How inconsiderate! How cruel! But after lying down on her bed, looking up forlornly to the ceiling, her anger simmered down, she then had second thoughts:

“Don’t worry, Harmony. He’s just been stripped of his royalty and things haven’t been going well for him.” Harmony said to herself weakly, as she yawned. “I know there’s good in him. It’s gonna be a while until he’s reformed, but in the end… it’ll all be worth it… baby steps.” She added, as she then drifted off to sleep.

End of Chapter 6

Comments ( 3 )

OHMYGODYES:twilightsmile: I've been waiting for this update for what sems like decades and you do not disappoint my friend, keep it up! :pinkiehappy:

What do you like most aobut my story so far? :raritystarry: is it my OC? I sit the way Sombra is portrayed? :pinkiesmile:

Maybe this is good timing... Basically the reader is learning about Harmony as Sombra learns about her, it works. I still feel like the pacing is a little off, but I'm afraid I have little in the way of ideas to help you improve it :twilightblush:
Wooh, 2014, didn't realize this story was so old, hope you're well. Continue on when you have time, I look foreword to reading more :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment