• Published 24th Mar 2014
  • 848 Views, 16 Comments

The Shadow and The Spark - CybertronPrincess



A pony called Harmony Spark has revived King Sombra from the dead and she attempts to befriend and possibly reform him. But Harmony finds out that there is more to him than meets the eye.. She fears something... Or someone, is controlling him. So

  • ...
7
 16
 848

First Steps

Chapter 5: First Steps

“Good, we’re back. Twilight, help me out please.” Harmony asked Twilight as they both carried the wounded Sombra off the train’s platform of Ponyville. “I’ll wrap the wound up again, just to be safe.” Harmony added, magically wrapping more bandage around Sombra’s front hoof. Several ponies looked at the alicorns in sheer horror, what were Twilight Sparkle and Harmony Spark, two alicorn princesses, doing with the one creature that threatened the Crystal Empire twice? Why is he back? Has Celestia gone mad? What if Sombra will seize control of Equestria? Twilight pulled a smile to reassure her Ponyville subjects, but it made them more paranoid than before. She knew how they felt, she felt the same way hours ago, but she knew what Harmony was doing.

“Don’t worry, Harmony. I’ll explain everything to them later. Hopefully, they’ll understand.” Twilight reassured her alicorn friend.
“Yeah, I hope so. I know it may seem like a big risk, but we got the others to help, don’t they?” Harmony cheerfully replied.

“I don’t think that anypony would be able to help anytime soon.” said an unsettled Twilight.

“Well, if we explain that the situation is and we tell them what we need to do, I’m sure they’ll understand.” Harmony explained to Twilight, as she figured out a plan to make everypony understand the dire situation they’re in and whether the ponies will give them the benefit of the doubt.

“Will you both SHUT UP and take me to a hospital? The less speeches I hear about petty friendship, the happier I’ll be.” Sombra added, irritated by Harmony’s personality. Twilight clearly was peeved by Sombra’s behaviour but after seeing Harmony’s optimistic look, she knew that Harmony did care for him and Twilight wanted to help her alicorn friend.

“Don’t worry, Sombra. We’ll take you to Ponyville Hospital and get that wound sorted. It won’t be far, Sombie.” Harmony replied, slightly giggling at the nickname she just made up.

“Don’t EVER call me that.” Sombra coldly sneered back, struggling to contain his anger. He may not be King anymore, but he wouldn’t DARE being embarrassed by ponies naming him an irritating pet name.

As the mares walked Sombra off the station, several ponies froze in shock as they witnessed Sombra supported by two alicorn princesses. Twilight and Harmony saw their happy, bright looks slowly turn into looks of fear and anxiety. They began to whisper, as they wondered if Sombra would strike at them, if Cadance was defeated or if the princesses they saw before them were under his spell... Then, Ponyville went quiet. Quiet, but not at peace.

Twilight didn’t want any more controversy over this situation. She already knew that Harmony had this plan handled. She began to comfort the citizens to put down their defensive, yet afraid sides. “Listen, everypony. We know this is wrong and we know how dangerous the situation is. But, Harmony has brought him here for a good reason.” Twilight asked reassuringly to the worried crowd, but that just made their fears rise.

“Everypony, don’t worry! I brought Sombra back to life not to cause any more fear or worry He is here because I want to reform him. I understand this is extremely dangerous but I and the other princesses are sure that I can reform him. When I do, I will be responsible for my actions and if he ever goes on a rampage, I will do everything in my power to keep him under control.” Harmony explained to the troubled ponies, trying to get the pressure off Twilight and the fear out of the rest of Ponyville.

Ponyville residents began to murmur amongst themselves. Harmony’s plan seemed too much of a risk for them. Twilight attempted to speak in order to gain their trust but everypony stopped talking. Sombra then stood on all four hooves and walked towards the ponies, as they froze in horror. Sombra stared at them. Everypony was afraid that he might attack them right out of nowhere.

“Sombra, don’t you dare hurt them!” Harmony shouted angrily, as her horn glowed, ready to tap into her imagination again. She wouldn’t allow another riot.

But to her surprise, Sombra didn’t hurt them. He pulled a menacing smile at the ponies and spoke: “Don’t be afraid, fellow ponies; I am not here to take over this town. I’m here to STAY. However, you all must understand that I didn’t rise from the dead myself. Harmony DID come up with this mission. If you should be afraid of anypony, it should be her. She DID bring the very sources of your nightmares back to life.” said Sombra calmly. His words caused the ponies to pull maddened looks at Harmony. But Harmony won’t stand for this any longer.

“SOMBRA!” Harmony yelled furiously, as tears started to form in her angered eyes. Doubts began to cloud her. She then realised that Twilight did have a point. Sombra WAS too difficult to control. Before she can do anything, Sombra continued:
“Harmony, I’m only having a conversation. As a matter of fact, I’m telling the truth. If you brought a so-called ‘EVIL’ and powerful king such as myself back from the grave, doesn’t that mean that you’re a bad leader? If Celestia made you a princess, she’s clearly doesn’t realise how pathetic a leader you truly are.”

Harmony then stood in fear, as she flashbacked to a memory almost two years ago... She recalled her howling, maniacal laughter… her uncontrollable sobbing as she woke up every morning… the agonizing thought that she was unloved... Sombra was bringing up a dark, cruel memory to her, even though he didn’t know it at all… Harmony clearly underestimated Sombra’s nature. In a fit of rage, she attempted to charge at the inconsiderate stallion, but Twilight calmed her alicorn friend to come to her senses.

“Harmony, calm down! Listen, I know you weren’t a good leader and you did some really bad things in the past. But we helped you. Remember? You learned from your mistakes and everypony now respects and loves you. Don’t ever forget that. And remember what you said about Sombra. You KNOW there’s still good in him, you said yourself. Don’t let his mean-spiritedness get to you. I know you can do it.” Twilight encouraged her alicorn friend to remember her mission. After Harmony pulled a meek smile towards everypony else, especially at Sombra; Twilight knew without a doubt that Harmony’s determination would help her succeed.

Sombra stood in disbelief. As he first heard Twilight’s words ‘did some really bad things’, his curiosity began to grow. This mare of royalty, a pony who is strong-willed, free-spirited and constantly cheerful, had a psychotic breakdown in the past? He was also blown by the fact that this pony’s patience was underestimated. Harmony was so close to her boiling point and just when he thought that Twilight’s comforting would only make Harmony angrier, the opposite occurred. Wasn’t his threat to Harmony strong enough? Shouldn’t he hurt Harmony in order to get her fury back up again? Sombra though he would. But before he could take one step, his injured hoof ached, causing the stallion to groan in pain.

Noticing the pain Sombra was in; Harmony confidently looked up. “Come on, Twilight. Let’s get him to the hospital before he gets even more damage.” she asked, as she and Twilight helped carry the unwilling stallion from the ground and walked down the street, with countless ponies following them in concern. “Everypony, calm down. We got this situation under control.” Harmony added, as she tried to comfort her subjects. But as the crowd of ponies vanished beyond the horizon, both Harmony and Twilight knew that worries were still lingering in everypony’s minds.

***
After several hours, the three walked out of the hospital with Sombra’s now bandaged leg. He was relieved that he didn’t have to suffer any more physical pain from his wounded limb, however he was more concerned that the white alicorn smiling alongside him is a mental pain, who knew how to strike her enemies when least expected. He looked the alicorn’s everlasting happiness, as she kindly held his injured leg. Although her help was much needed, Sombra couldn’t bear to have an alicorn teach him about the futile rules of courtesy. Even though his kingly position is longer his, he was more determined than ever to get it back. He just had to lay low for the time being.

“Sombra, are you feeling any better? That was a nasty wound you had.” Harmony asked, reassuring Sombra over his healed wound.
“I’m fine. I’m not a foal. And I would have gone through the pain without ANOTHER pain by my side.” Sombra snarled back at Harmony, hopefully trying to anger her. But she remained blissful.

“What side? Your back or your front?” Harmony jokily replied, attempting to make a simple pun to cheer her friend up. However, by Sombra’s unamused look, she knew her result wasn’t pleasing. “That…was a joke.” Harmony shyly added.
Sombra then smirked at Harmony’s desperate attempt at humour. She may seem to be collected and strong-willed, but he knew that her pathetic attempt at cheering up another soul was anything but successful. “Please (!), you don’t even know the meaning of the word.” replied Sombra, further antagonising the mare. But Harmony wasn’t going to fall for the same trick again.

“Yes, I do. It means a sentence or question that causes somepony to laugh. On the contrary, it seems that YOU don’t the meaning of the word.” Harmony calmly replied with a smug grin.

Sombra growled in frustration as Harmony continued to support Sombra’s leg. Before the trio decide to go home, a deeply concerned Mayor Mare approaches them.

“It’s the Mayor! What’re we going to do? If we tell her we got our permission from Celestia, there’s no way she’ll believe us!” Twilight worriedly asked to Harmony, still concerned over Ponyville’s thoughts towards their mission. Harmony was worried as well, but she remained confident.

“It’s okay, Twilight. We just need to convince her that we have this under control.” Harmony answered calmly as Sombra decided to voice his opinion on this.

“How about we MAKE her trust you? It’s hardly likely that she’ll believe anything you’ll say.” Sombra advised to the troubled alicorn, but his plan wasn’t pleasing to the others.

“NO. I’m here to reform you and the first thing you gotta learn is not rely on violence to solve problems.” Harmony argued back to the stallion’s unhelpful solution.

“What is the meaning of this? Why is King Sombra alive? And why in all of Equestria are you two responsible for this?!” Mayor Mare exclaimed, both shocked and angered at the two alicorns involved in this wrongdoing.

“Yes, Mayor. We are. But just let me tell you why.” Harmony replied softly. After putting her word into account, Mayor Mare then calmed down, cleaned her glasses and as she put them back on, allowing Harmony to continue, “Yesterday, I sent a letter to Princess Celestia, explaining that I can find a way to befriend and reform Sombra. I then got permission from all of the princesses, especially Twilight, to do just that. I can assure you that I have not gone crazy, like last time.” Harmony explained calmly. “Please, I know it may be hard to believe but please just help me reform him. I’ll be responsible for his actions.” She added, as she found it harder and harder to convince.

The mayor knew Twilight and Harmony well enough to trust them. They are princesses after all, but that didn’t excuse the fact that bringing a villain who has been long gone dead back to life was clearly the work of evil and who knows what damage he’ll bring to not only Ponyville, but all of Equestria. She will not allow any evil presence in the town.

“I’m sorry, Your Highnesses. But I simply cannot allow a demonic creature like that destroy our prosperous town! You do realise what damage you’re causing for Equestria? I allowed Discord because he was reformed and Equestria has suffered enough of Changelings, disharmony and eternal darkness. We certainly do NOT need a filthy animal who calls himself a king in my town!” Mayor Mare debated. She was eager to get rid of any more evil from flourishing in her town.

Sombra felt a surge of anger grow bigger until his boiling point. He had had enough of ponies questioning his authority. He may not have magic but one way or another, somepony has to pay. “You’ll regret for ever insulting me!” he shouted and charged at the mare, but both Twilight and Harmony both blocked his attack.

“You see?! THIS is why I can’t have that beast from living in this town! You can’t possibly control him!” Mayor Mare cried in anger and was to the brim of paranoia. But Harmony will not stand for any more bitterness or fear. The Mayor’s words shocked and disgusted her about Sombra. She had to make a stand.

“He is NOT a beast! Nor a king or an animal! You may not see it, but I see a gentle, kind heart trapped under an evil, twisted corruption. Have you no shame? Insulting one of MY friends in MY presence?!” Harmony retaliated, defending Sombra. He was surprised. Not at her bravery, but this act of defending him as truly something he never seen before. As far as Sombra could remember, no pony ever stood up to him or defended him. Of course he didn’t need to, but when he did… somepony actually helped him… At first he pulled a confused expression but… he began to feel something inside… Something warm and welcoming…

But something else striked back, a sudden great powerful surge shunned away his first sign of good... Nevertheless, Sombra wanted Harmony to continue: “You must understand that I DO have this under control and I WILL take responsibility for my actions. I understand that you and Ponyville are scared and so would I. But you and everypony else must understand that I have this under control and if he does get out of control, I’ll have my magic at the ready and make sure that nopony gets hurt. Please, just give us some support.” Harmony added.

The mayor was shaken at this sudden outburst from a princess but she was also shocked at the fact that Harmony showed loyalty to Sombra. Still, Harmony made a good point and for the first time in a long time, the mayor felt stuck. Twilight then looked at a confused Mayor and attempted to compromise with the Mayor as well since she felt the exact same hours ago.

After taking a long time to think and calm herself, Mayor Mare reached a conclusion. “Alright, I trust you. You both have this situation under control and this wasn’t an easy decision to make, but since I understand how dreadful the situation is to you, Harmony, you are allowed to let you and King Sombra stay in Ponyville.” Mayor Mare settled. Harmony then squealed in joy as she hugged Sombra tightly. “But we’ll discuss the rest of the details tomorrow morning. You three must have had a long day. I must be going now; I’ve got tons of citizens to comfort and paperwork to do.” The mayor added, as she walked back to the town hall.

The sun was beginning to set beyond Ponyville’s horizon, Twilight saw the lateness of the hour and decided to head back home: “I’m gonna go back home now, harmony. Spike’s probably worried sick and I’ve got some studying to do. See ya tomorrow, Harmony and good luck.” She said, whilst flying back to the library in the distance. Now that Sombra and Harmony were both alone, they decide to walk along the dirt road back home. Sombra, still surprised over Harmony’s act of defence earlier, he decides to tell her why: “What did you just do?” he said in a genuinely curious state.

“What do you mean?” Harmony answered back, confused about his sudden question.
“You stood up for me. I wanted to fight her back but you and Twilight stopped me. Then you protected me. Why? What was that act you just performed?” Sombra replied, still in a questioned manner.

“Because you’re my friend. I couldn’t stand to see one of my friends be insulted. The mayor didn’t know any better and now that Ponyville will understand, you’ll be able to walk along town without be shunned or scared by anypony. I wouldn’t like it if somepony insulted me and got away with it.” Harmony explained happily as she finally realised that there was still some good in Sombra.
“But I WANT to be feared. Why should you rely on useless talking when you could use your powers to take them down yourself?” Sombra retorted, still proving his opinion.

“My powers are used only for the benefit of my subjects. I only use them when I want to and I would never use it to control others. ” Harmony replied, slightly disappointed in Sombra’s point of view but remains optimistic since she learned to be patient. “Remember what I said about not resorting to violence to solve a problem? I used that to help protect your honour and that I would never let my friends be looked down upon.” She added eagerly to get Sombra to learn his first lesson.

“But why? Why would you defend me? A ruler of shadows and fear?” Sombra ultimately asked.

“Well, I care about you. Nopony, not even a ruler of darkness should deserve to be unloved. Besides, I always see the good in everypony. Now come on, let’s get back home so I can get dinner cooking.” Harmony answered, fulfilling Sombra’s curiosity. She then walked cheerfully down the dirt road towards the town square back home. As Sombra followed her; he started to get that warm feeling again. He felt like smiling. As he attempted to perk up, the creature came back. His head then throbbed in agony, his eyes flashing green to red.

Harmony, realising his pain, runs towards the stallion in aid. “Sombra! Don’t worry; we’ll sort out this possession. And when we do,” Harmony asked the aching Sombra before being interrupted.

“GET AWAY FROM ME! If you want to live, you NEVER touch me again!” Sombra violently cried, as he pushed the mare away from him. However, Harmony could plainly see he was under a powerful curse and she will not stop until her friend is lifted of this spell.
“Okay, well at least let me carry your bandaged hoof for balance.” Harmony replied softly, respecting Sombra’s space.
As Harmony carried him off into town; for the first time Sombra felt guilt. He was happy for the first time in over a thousand years. But this creature inside prevented him from feeling any emotion he so desperately wanted to feel. It began to talk to him, whispering the words ‘love is a weakness, remember your destiny’ over and over until the creature took Sombra over into silence. Sombra finally thought he MUST get his crown back. But still, it was nice of Harmony to be there for him…

End of Chapter 5