• Published 19th Mar 2014
  • 1,198 Views, 8 Comments

How Cold is a Broken Heart - Rainbow Moonshine



Octavia has a terrible accident.

  • ...
8
 8
 1,198

A True Love Story Never Ends

Author's Note:

This is my very first fic., so please be gentle. This was meant to be a one shot and practice fic. If you want more give me ideas and state your opinion. Also TheUndiscoveredPony is my editor, so she is the one that edited this. She also knows that there are still mistakes but she will fix them. And last but not least check out her story, Left in the Darkness.
Comment and like!

"Do you have to go ?" I asked but I knew there was no alternative. My heart was drenched with sadness, this was my last few moments with her. My light would finally flicker out in a few seconds. She smiled at me. But I could see through it, the sadness in her eyes was unmistakable. As I ran with her in my arms. I saw before me how the light in her eyes was slowly flickering out.

"No, no, no, don't you dare leave me now." I pleaded to her, hugging her close. I kept begging her in tears waiting for her to keep fighting but it never came.

These past few weeks have been pretty hard on me. They mostly consisted of emotional breakdowns next to her bed, especially when I look at her. The way her face looks, you could say she was sleeping. She has a peaceful look on her face, the one you get in blissful dreams. She shouldn’t be this way but she is and it is all my fault. I should have been there when it happened.

She was going to be playing her latest prototype, and for some stupid reason I could not attend. Which to this day, I do not even understand. She was to play and then spend a casual night at the venue but something happened. She was playing her beautiful cello until she nearly got shot. That was when I received the call, the call that changed my life.

When I picked up the phone, there was loud screaming and shouting in the background. She told me they were being ambushed. It was then that I heard her scream, and a loud crack. There was nothing but silence after that.

"Octavia? Are you there? Octavia?" I dropped my phone and ran to the place she was supposed to be playing. It was fairly empty besides a few dead ponies here and there.

"Octavia?" I called again but no answer and I knew that I had to find her. My heart was racing and it just stopped when my blood ran cold. I came face to face with my worst nightmare. Octavia was under the stage, wheezing and holding on to the remaining parts of her dear life in a pool of crimson blood. Her blood.

The steady hum of the heart rate monitor fills the room. Each beep shows that she is still alive. I look back on that day with scorn, knowing what happened and how it could have been prevented. I have gone through hundreds of thousands of ways that I could have stopped this from happening in my head each and every single day.

But days turned into weeks, and weeks into months. After a month, the doctor said that she was still unresponsive to anything they did. And after three, the doctor gave me the choice of taking her off the machine, as they saw no way of her coming out of this.

“We can either keep her on life support, or pull it today. It’s your choice.” The doctor had said that say. I objected to it. I couldn’t give up, not yet anyway.

Since then he keeps asking me the same question but I always say no. I would give anything in the entire world to hear her soft voice again and if it meant to keep her on life support, I would do it.

Laying my head on the side of her bed, I let the beep of that machine drift me off into the world of imagination, farther and farther away from reality. I soon lose myself in my endless memories of her and silently play each memory out.

I still remember the first day I met her. Back then I was much more isolated and not as social as I am today. I was strangely drawn to her, a little like love at first sight. She was the reason I came out of my shell. When she said she wasn't interested in those regular high school jocks, I was surprised, no I was shocked! And you know which ones I am talking about. Popular, hot, mostly jerks.

I can still remember that evening very clearly. I had stayed at school later than usual, when I heard shouting, I was watching the new girl. She had a cute accent though I couldn't tell what kind though.

"Let me go, you prick." She yelled at the guy trying to grope her.

"What's that sweet cheeks?" He answered smugly. He then advanced on her more even going as far as trying to kiss her.

I had no idea where I got the power to stand up to the most popular jock in school but never the less, I still did.

"Let her GO!" I shouted just as I grabbed him by the shirt.

“I said, LET HER GO!” I shouted even louder. It was when he laughed that I lost it. I grabbed him where the sun don’t shine and punched squarely in the jaw.

After that it turned into an all out war. I was pushed around a little, got a black eye and broke my hoof. But now I know it was worth it. We started meeting up, and our relationship just grew from there.

As I stroke her jet black hair, a tear rolls down my cheek. We had so many plans in the past for a brighter future. We were going to have a small formal wedding, you know family and very close friends. After that we were going to look for a house, we have been saving up for a small little house since we talked about it earlier in the year. We both agreed that we didn't want a small apartment.

The only thing I can do in her current state is pray and hope for her to wake up. But I just get jumbled up in the past memories, before all the evil.

"I'm sorry, I am so very sorry." I say as I wail like a small foal, grasping her hand.

"Please come back... Why did it have to be you ?" I plead and pray. Life seems so meaningless and dull now.

Suddenly I feel something grasp my hoof. The touch is soft by firm. I look up to see that she had grabbed my hoof.

"DOCTOR!!" I scream in shock and hope fills me. And then she she lets go. Destroying any hope of her waking up.

"What's wrong?" the doctor asks looking Octavia over.

"Octavia...She...She grabbed my hoof." I weakly say. I sound so pathetic but Octavia is my love, my life and she isn’t waking up… Anything at this point will help!

"We'll run some tests immediately!" He quickly replies and with that he goes off. The nurse suggests to rest, so I take my usual spot on the chair and make myself comfortable as I close my eyes.

The next morning I wake up in my usual spot like I normally do, when the doctor walks in, ready to ask his question. When he opens his mouth to do so, he instead says something entirely different.

“While you were asleep yesterday, we ran the tests.” He takes a deep breath. “I have no easy way to say this. But her brain was permanently damaged in the accident. I'm afraid that she won't wake up. So what you felt was probably a piece of your imagination." He finishes sadly. My eyes fill up with tears and an overwhelming sensation to cry out in anguish falls over me. I look up and the doctor just gives me a sympathetic look making me angry.

If he knew all along that she wouldn’t wake up then why keep her in this useless state? Why torture her? I then realise that I caused her this pain, it was all me only because I kept her on life support. But the hit of her never waking up causes me more pain than any physical harm can do. The guilt is overbearing and I cry, letting out each tear as they pass

When I stop for moment, the doctor takes the opportunity to ask if wanted to keep her on the machine, but instead of my usual no, I say yes. I know this is what I have to do. She can’t live on like this, she needs to be free to play her music just not here, up in the sky.

He walks over to the machine, and he pulls the cord. I count to three to say goodbye. One.. The hum stops. Two… The beeps stop. Three… The room falls silent.

Goodbye, my love…

Even though she is gone, I know she will always be with me because I love Octavia, and I will never let our music die.

Comments ( 8 )

It seems a little short and the ending is very abrupt in my opinion, but it is pretty well written for your first fic. Good job here.

:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry: wipes tears
OK now that i have stopped crying i can say brilliant fic

4106179

4105266
Thank you for the support! And i'll know for next time to put in more detail.

4106234
The detail was not actually an issue, it was quite well done as it stands... I'll read it again and give you some better feedback/explain myself better when I've not been up for 36 hours straight... there's no possible way for me to give even descent feedback at this time ^^;

Amazing and beautiful

Thank you, all of you your encouragement helps me be the writer that I am today:derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment