• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 802 Views, 25 Comments

The Supermodel Scandal - GrassBlade



How did Fleur and Rarity get into Playcolt magazine? Oh no, this is NOT socially acceptable. Follow our two unicorn mares as they embark on a quest for social redemption! (Hint: It involves quite a bit of slapping)

  • ...
7
 25
 802

Hay fries

"What!?" Rarity yelled over the din of the auditorium.

"I said, is the circus treating you well?" repeated Streak. Barely two minutes ago, Rarity had been lounging on the bed, drinking chamomile tea as she pored over the latest fashion trends. Suddenly, the gray pegasus had appeared and whisked her away to some kind of circus. While amusing, it was not really the way she had planned on spending the night.

"Very well, thank you," she replied, before discarding her hay fries with a look of contempt. They rattled at the bottom of the trash can. She wanted to leave, but knew that by social etiquette she must watch the remainder of the show. At the intermission - she was shocked that such a run-down hovel would consider itself classy enough to have one - she glanced around, looking for the photographer. A silver and light blue tail caught her attention, and she left her springy seat in search for its owner. Brushing aside the tarp with her hoof, she peered out into the dark roads. Streak was flying low over the streets, his hooves mere inches from the ground. Rainbow Dash had once told her it was a technique used to sneak around: not high enough to get noticed, not low enough to make noise if they walked. Then again, she thought angrily, Rainbow's opinions aren't exactly top notch, are they? She left the question unanswered as she continued to pursue Streak. Feeling the need for secrecy, she wrapped her hooves in her velvety magic, trying to keep the sparkle and glow level to a minimum. Slowly stalking, her hooves barely touched the ground through her pillow-like layer of magic. Her target continually turned corners and headed down dark alleyways, and Rarity felt her suspicion rise in her throat. Where was he going? He slowly picked up the pace, and the unicorn felt herself sweating as she struggled to both keep up and remain silent. Finally, they reached the end of the alleyway, bordered by rickety garbage cans and tattered buildings. The pegasus entered one such building, which had a sign that Rarity read: "Joe's Donuts". A bird had made its nest on the D, and the e was hanging down over the side, swinging slowly back and forth with a faint creaking. Shuddering to herself, Rarity peered in. Most likely, he was buying the two of them a treat for the show, although she guessed that the intermission was over by now. Streak walked up to a large yellow stallion, presumably Joe, and gave him a nod and a smirk. Frowning now, the mare looked on as the baker moved to the back of the establishment, with Streak right behind him. Tugging at some hidden lever, Joe gave a nod and the photographer descended below the counter until every last sky blue hair was out of sight. The fashionista licked her lips, devising a plan to get inside. She waited. When Joe was once more taking orders and recommending specials, as she assumed was normal, she walked in the door, making sure to scruff up her hair so she would fit in with the crowd.

The effect was lost on them.

"Miss Rarity? What are you doin' in a place like this?" stammered Joe, his little white hat falling to the side.

Oh well. She might as well try putting her socialite power to a good use. Sidling up next to the owner, she leaned forward and whispered, "I demand you take me downstairs." She tried her best to sound confident, but couldn't help the tremor of hesitation in her voice. The yellow unicorn stallion relaxed.

"Oh, o' course. Although, I thought the pictures were usually taken outside," he remarked as he led her behind the cash register. "Whatever. Don' listen to me, I'm just a regular pony doin' my part to earn a liddle extra dough." He chuckled at his own joke, before giving the mare a nod very much like the one he had given Streak. With a low rumbling sound, a hidden door slid open, revealing a dark stairway bathed in red light. Rarity gulped. She glanced at Donut Joe, who was patiently waiting. She couldn't keep him here long, unfortunately. She started down the stairs.

Shouts from stallions came from all around. They hurt Rarity's ears at first, but then she adjusted to both the noise and the darkness. Some ponies were developing photos (hence the red lights) while others were cropping some on the computer. Yes, Equestria had truly diverse technological advancements. Ponies, mostly stallions, were everywhere, sifting through stacks of papers and running about relaying directions. At the computer area, the ponies began saving and printing, and the steady chug filled the room. She couldn't see what the photos were of at this distance, however. Glancing about, she spotted Streak talking to a purple and yellow unicorn stallion, who was holding up Streak's camera with a smile. As she snuck closer, she managed to catch bits of their conversation.

"...remarkable that it has two lenses, one in front but the real one in back, to take unnoticed pictures..." said the purple/yellow unicorn.

"Thank you, boss," responded Lightning Streak.

The boss muttered something inaudible. In reply, Streak lifted up his wings, revealing his cutie mark: two screwdrivers crossed behind a roll of dark parchment.

" ...you know I love to tinker, boss..."

Rarity crawled closer, her suspicion flaring into anger. Was this what she thought it was...?

"Anyway, I hope you have more pictures. We are running dry." The boss ran his tongue over his teeth. He had seen the radiant white glow from behind the photographer, and prepared his teleportation spell.

"Yup, of course! She didn't even notice through the bright lights of the circus," replied Streak jubilantly, hoofing over a few pictures of Rarity.

This was the last straw.

"Eeeeyaaah!!" yelled the fashion designer, bursting out of the shadows. She hammered her magic and her hooves onto the fashion designer. The boss saw his chance. POP! He reappeared behind her, restraining her with a purple glow that matched Rarity's mane. She managed to land a kick on Streak's cheek, leaving him knocked out with a large red welt on his face.

"Calm yourself, sweetheart, there's no reason to be upset," he murmured smoothly into her neck. She recoiled at the stench of rotten dandelions on his breath.

"I haff efry refum da be ubfed!!" she yelled into the supernatural binding.

"What was that, dear?"

Blue sparks flew out of her horn as she struggled to clear a hole for herself. Though unrefined, his magic was stronger than hers.

"I have every reason to be upset!" she repeated indignantly, before taking in a breath and being shoved back under the violet blanket. Her thoughts stormed around in her head as the stallion dragged her back to his desk, placing his hoof beside a mug of coffee. He whistled, and two ponies came and carried the cameraman's limp body away. The yellow/purple pony scowled to himself. Couldn't that photographer - what was his name? No matter - have at least done his job? Did he have to do everything himself? The editor-in-chief sighed internally. They would have trouble getting any more pictures from the mare, assuming he released her, and- Storm Front! That was his name. What was he thinking? Oh yes...

Unconsciously, the boss's hold on Rarity lifted, and he was awakened from his stupor by a sharp, stinging pain on his snout. The fashionista slapped him again. Then, levitating the hot coffee with practiced ease, she proceeded the pour it down his chest, and all over his papers, specifically the ones with her on it. He barely had time to cry out before she was out the door, running to tell her own manager what had occurred.


---

Rarity rounded another corner, her heart beating as fast as her hooves on the slick cobble. Up ahead, a taxi carriage parked by a building where numerous workers were flooding out the doors. Putting on an extra burst of speed, she hopped in the carriage before the majority of them even realized it, although one young mare yelled at her as she passed. Rarity ignored her. Hurriedly giving the driver the address, she glanced back anxiously for any pursues. None, except for that mare, who was shouting something at her as they drove away. Rarity settled back into the seat, finally given some time to think. It had all happened so fast. She cursed herself for not seeing Streak earlier.

He must have been Storm Front all along, Rarity realized suddenly. The carriage flew over a speed bump, and the unicorn winced as she grabbed the sides of the vehicle. A strand of rainbow colored hair swung down from above her, and Rarity blinked. It quickly withdrew itself, along with a giggle.

"Rainbow... Dash...?"

All of a sudden, Rarity found herself face to face with a large, magenta orb. It winked.

"Hiya there, Miss Fancy-shmancy!" Rainbow grinned from ear to ear. Miss Fancy-shmancy must have looked quite taken aback, because the cyan pegasus rolled her eyes and laughed again. She plopped down beside Rarity, and the carriage lurched with her extra weight.

"Rainbow Dash! I can't say I'm particularly pleased to see you. And just dropping in like this is hardly becoming of a young mare like yourself." The unicorn paused, examining the ruffled, albeit colorful, mess before her, before both attacking and doing the mane of the pegasus.

"Wha- OUCH!"

"How DARE you? Oh dear, you have all sorts of split ends..."

"Get off of me!! AUUGHHH!"

"Darling, the purples are mixing in with the greens here! You traitorous fiend!"

"Take that!" Rainbow Dash flapped her wings once, sending a bolt of electricity toward her attacker. The mare jumped up with a yelp, revealing slightly singed fur on her shoulders. She frowned at Dash, then turned to her saddlebags for a sweater. Extracting a pink, bubble gum-like one, she let it fall over her head and shook her mane out. Her curls bounced twice before stopping.

"Thanks a lot," she muttered.

"What?" said Dash.

"You're not as loyal as Celestia thinks you are," said Rarity.

"Hey! I just came here to-"

"I don't want to hear it. You've probably got Pinkie or Twilight ready to throw some ink or spaghetti sauce onto my clothes and fur," Rarity interrupted.

"Listen! I actually came to apologize. Twilight doesn't know I'm here. Neither does Applejack, or Pinkie, or anyone. So... I'm sorry. You're right. I'm not that loyal at all, or cool either. I thought I was when I sided with Twilight, but I didn't even give you the chance to explain yourself. We were totally not fair, Rarity. Maybe I was loyal to Twilight, but she wasn't loyal to you, and she's the leader. You'd think she... I dunno. Like I said. I- I'm sorry, Rarity. Will you forgive me?"

Rarity melted. Of course. Here was the headstrong, cocky young female she knew.

"Of course I forgive you, darling. You did what you thought was right, even though it wasn't. No one can ever blame you for that." She paused, mirth sneaking into her expression. "Although, next time I would recommend that you come prepared, hmm?"

Rainbow blushed. Rarity smiled. Then she filled her friend in on everything that had just happened, going into detail about Streak's betrayal, and her need to tell Fleur and her manager everything that had happened.

"... Awesome," came the pegasus's reply. As if on cue, their destination rolled into view, and the two mares hopped off their taxi and headed into the building. As Rainbow bashed down the door, Rarity trotted in on Fleur, who was talking to the manager.

"I have very big news! I found out who has been putting pictures of us in Playcolt! It's Streak! He's been part of an underground community in Joe's Donuts who-"

"I'm sorry Rarity, but what are you talking about?" stammered Fleur.

"Look." Rarity reached and grabbed a copy of the Playcolt's newest issue in a strand of magic, pulling it towards her. She winced and flipped through until she found the right page. She was dimly aware of Rainbow crying with laughter at some of the mares at her side. Satisfied, she held it out in her magic, looking expectantly at Fleur.

Fleur gulped, and hesitantly flared her own horn, smothering the magazine in a dark magenta glow. Rarity frowned. Wasn't Fleur's magic light pink? The supermodel quickly shoved the magazine back at Rarity, and the color in her horn died out.

"Remember?" Rarity asked.

Fleur smiled shakily. "Yup," she said.

"Exactly. In any case, we..." Rarity then repeated to them what she had told Dash. The manager looked both impressed and furious, and Fleur had her eyes slitted quizzically. However, she didn't say anything. The manager said he would try to contact the authorities or see if he could get a few minutes in Princess Celestia's Day Court. The four mares nodded and went off in their separate directions to get some sleep. Rarity led Dash to her apartment, who was still clutching her sides, tears streaming down her face.

---

As soon as Twilight got back on the train, she popped back into her regular form. Shape shifting wasn't a skill she used often, but she thanked Celestia that, well, Celestia had taught it to her. Maintaining the form of the unicorn, however, had taken its toll. Twilight levitated some water over and drank deeply, her brow furrowed. She set down the bottle, and looked up. Three worried faces stared back at her; one orange, one yellow, one pink. The lavender princess inhaled, settling her wings and steeling herself.

"She's gone too," said Twilight. "Rainbow Dash has left us."

Comments ( 3 )

Seriously? Twilight's worried more about losing a member of the group than dealing with the truth?

If she's a friend, I wouldn't want an enemy!

This seems mildly OOC for Twi, I have to say.

Login or register to comment