• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,478 Views, 268 Comments

SpikeDash Group Collab - Vexy



A collection of short stories from the SpikeDash group.

  • ...
13
 268
 5,478

PreviousChapters Next
Famous - Pontiac56

"Hey Dash, can you help me get famous?"

The newly minted Wonderbolt just looked at the drake in front of her with an odd expression.

"Um, what?"

Spike just gave a sigh before looking back at her, "I asked if you could help me get famous."

"No no, I heard you, I meant, why? You've never really cared about getting famous before? What's up?" Rainbow asked as she fluttered down to look him in the eye. This was a little easier than it used to be due to the height he had gained over the years. With all four of her hooves on the ground, his bipedal form now stood just a head taller than her.

The dragon rubbed the back of his head as he looked away from her, but she knew that he knew that this gesture was pointless, and if she wanted to know what was up, he was going to tell her what was up. Finally with another sigh he complied.

"Look it's just… over the years all of you girls have accomplished so many great things. Rarity managed to set up a franchise of her stores in Canterlot and Manehatten, Fluttershy managed to create that nature preserve for rare and endangered species, Pinkie managed to get her parties noticed by all the big wigs of Equestria when she held Princess Luna's birthday last year, Twilight is a Princess, and of course you just managed to achieve your dream of joining the Wonderbolts." he smiled at her as he said this, and Rainbow felt a surge of pride in herself at her accomplishment. However the good vibe dropped as Spike's smile disappeared and a more sombre looked took over his features.

"But me… I haven't really done all that much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been along with you girls on your adventures every now and again, but most of the time I was too young to go, or I was simply overlooked. I never really minded all that much. You girls were the heroes, not me. It's just that… now that I'm older, I can start to do things for myself. Earn a little recognition. Find a path for myself. The problem, though, is that I'm a dragon."

"Hey and what's wrong with that!? There's nothing wrong with being a dragon!" the pegasus barked with an angry look on her face that gave him pause. Rainbow had never liked ponies putting themselves down, especially over something as trivial as their looks, and Spike was no exception. For a moment, he stared at her stern magenta eyes before a half smile came to him.

"I know, I know. Heck I love being a dragon. The hard scales, the fire breath. It's awesome. But unfortunately, older dragons don't have a good rep in Equestria. With good reason too, the rest of my kind aren't the friendliest bunch. It means though that ponies tend to see me in the same light. The last few trips to Canterlot to visit Twi haven’t been all that pleasant, and Manehatten wasn’t much better when Rarity asked me to come visit last week. Ponyville has been my home for years now, but as its reputation has grown, more and more ponies have moved here and soon I’ll start getting scared and angry looks here too.” The purple dragon gave a sigh and looked to the ground, a few bad memories flashing through his head.

Rainbow wasn’t sure what to say at this point. Spike had been in Ponyville for so long now, and she had never ever seen him as some kind of fearsome angry reptile like the rest of the dragon race. He had always been Spike, the dependable, brave and loyal dragon who always stood by his friends and went out of his way to help them no matter what.

Just thinking about what a great guy he was sent an odd feeling through Rainbow’s heart. Before she could question it though, Spike had turned to look at her again, this time with a hopeful smile on his face.

“But I realized that if I could get some fame for myself, then ponies coming to Ponyville would be aware of me. I don’t really want to be a celebrity or anything, but if I can get my name around town, then it might just be exactly what I need to stop ponies being angry and afraid. So I was hoping you could help me come up with some ideas to get some notice around town.”

Seeing the hope in his eyes, and imagining the sorrow that must come with being seen as a monster, Rainbow immediately knew her answer.

“Of course I’ll help Spike. There’s nopony better for earning fame and recognition. Why I bet I’ll have your name in the local paper by tomorrow morning!”


Five hours, two chariot accidents, a market place covered in exploded fruits and vegetables, a burned field and a just one demolished barn later, and Rainbow was absolutely convinced Spike would be in the papers.

Just not in a good way.

Wiping off some timber remains that had gotten stuck between his scales as he and Rainbow had fled from Sweet Apple Acres and from an enraged Applejack, Spike was looking very displeased.

With a resigned sigh, he turned his attention to Rainbow who was trying to come up with a new plan to get Spike famous, since confiscating the dynamite the Cutie Mark Crusaders had acquired (she was going to get a straight answer out of Scoot’s later about just how they had gotten their hooves on explosives) and storing it safely out of sight in the barn to protect Ponyville hadn’t worked out very well.

“Well thanks for your help Rainbow, but it looks like I’m just gonna have to live with getting some uncomfortable stares for a while.” He started to walk away when a prismatic blur over took him and he found himself gripped tightly in Rainbow’s hooves.

“Now you listen here, Spike. I know today didn’t go well, but I am not gonna stop until ponies see you right. You shouldn’t get looked at like your some kind of monster just because you aren’t a pony. You are a brave, strong and handsome dragon, and I will not stop until all of Ponyville can see it.”

Spike’s widened slightly and a slight smile came to his face as a word in that speech caught his attention, “Uh… handsome?”

Realizing what she had said, a slight blush came to her cheeks as she reared her head back, “Uh n-no, I said… uh… I said…” her stammering continued for a second before she was forcibly stopped as a pair of warm draconic lips pressed themselves over her own.

She was shocked for a moment before she relaxed and turned her grip on the dragon into an embrace, slowly closing her eyes to enjoy the feel of Spike’s kiss. It continued for a moment before the drake pulled back and smiled at her, “Ya know Rainbow, I always did think you were kinda cute.”

He had to move quick to avoid the left hook for that teasing remark. But as he ran back towards town, a happy/agitated Rainbow chasing after him, he felt a large amount of his anxiety leave him, replaced by a new warm feeling that he wasn’t in a hurry to see leave.


A week later, Rainbow and Spike sat in a booth at Sugarcube Corner, a newspaper laid out in front of them.

“Well, it’s not how I expected to get famous, but it is definitely something I am happy about.” Spike said, an arm wrapped around Rainbow as she gazed over the paper as well.

The picture showed the warm embrace they had shared, their lips intertwined and a happy bliss about them for all of Ponyville to see.

As the mare snuggled up to him, Spike couldn’t help but smile.

Author's Note:

Written by Pontiac56.

PreviousChapters Next