• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,462 Views, 268 Comments

SpikeDash Group Collab - Vexy



A collection of short stories from the SpikeDash group.

  • ...
13
 268
 5,462

PreviousChapters Next
Feathers - Digiguy

Symbolism.

That was a good word to describe the thing that held so much attention and harbored such feelings from me. An egghead like Twilight might say that it was just some silly object, and maybe even less than that. Rarity, on the other hoof, would think it was just some 'uncouth' piece of trash with little sentiment behind it. Applejack would be confused, wondering what it was, or even why it was was so special. Pinkie Pie would probably think it was just another type of party invitation, though I have a hunch there is more to her than she lets on. Fluttershy would think of it as some cute sign of affection, though she is really the only one of my friends who would really get it, you know?

To an earth pony, a piece of the land or something hoof-crafted is not only a sign of physical growth and strength, but a feat of what they can accomplish. Their forms themselves are what drive them to become better ponies, and sometimes that can help win the hearts of many around them.

And much like a unicorn's horn is special to them, it's their magic that is truly… uh… magical. Something about when they can not only cast a spell, but craft one from the air around them and conjure spectacles other ponies can only dream of capturing in a single instant will drive mares, and some stallions, wild.

But to a pegasus… It's their wings that give them so much to live for. The gift of flight is something that only a third of the pony population can ever achieve, and that's even more special considering others can only dream of flight as pegasi can. But what really means a lot to a pegasus is their feathers. More specifically, their first lost feather.

I… I could never figure out what it was that was so… sentimental, so special about such a silly little feather… but I was devastated when I lost it. I spent hours searching for it, only to come up short. I'd even asked all of our friends, and nopony had seen it.

I had considered giving up before I ran into Spike, a blue feather in his clawed hand. My sour mood quickly turned ecstatic as I made that discovery, but when I asked for it back, he seemed confused. For some reason, he seemed to like the feather. It seemed to make him feel happy as he held it, and looking up to the sky, you could see in his eyes just what the feather meant to him.

It didn't matter what it meant to me anymore, or even what it meant to anypony else. He seemed to like it, and that was all that mattered to me. I decided to let him keep the feather, and he thanked me for it. Maybe one day soon I can tell him what it means to me, but until then…

Author's Note:

Written by Digiguy.

PreviousChapters Next