• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,462 Views, 268 Comments

SpikeDash Group Collab - Vexy



A collection of short stories from the SpikeDash group.

  • ...
13
 268
 5,462

PreviousChapters Next
Breakfast - Pontiac56

Rainbow made sure to hover as she departed the bedroom, to prevent the sound of her hooves waking her slumbering drakefriend.

Rainbow and Spike had been together for a whole year now, and today was their anniversary. Ever since they had gotten together, Rainbow couldn’t count how many times the generous dragon had gone out of his way to spoil her.

When she got home from work after a stressful day dealing with a rampant thunder cloud or fixing whatever mess Thunderlane made while attempting to show off for Cloud Chaser and Flitter, Spike would always give her a massage and run her a hot bath to soothe her muscles. If she was feeling under the weather and not able to get out of bed, he would make her some soup and read her a Daring Do book. If she felt sad or discouraged after a failed stunt he would hold her close before whispering praises in her ears and taking her out for a fun night on the town. He spoiled her rotten and she loved every second, just as much as she loved him.

The pegasus knew that he would do something special for her today, find some new way to spoil her and treat like a princess. She was eagerly waiting for it, but first she had something else to do.

Today, she was going to spoil him, just like he always did for her. She had prepared everything ahead of time and she was ready to make the start of his day something awesome.

She was going to cook him breakfast in bed.

Smiling to herself as she pictured the surprised and grateful look on his face when she presented him with a big plate of sapphire chipped pancakes, smothered in maple syrup and cooked to perfection. She would make him a nice hot cup of coffee and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice to help wash it all down. Then the piece de resistance, she would cook him a plate of juicy hay bacon and sizzling fried eggs, coated with parsley and coriander. Ooh, she felt so giddy thinking about how she was going to spoil him that she didn’t notice she had reached the kitchen and smacked her head against the cupboard.

With an annoyed groan, Rainbow rubbed her forehead before returning to her task. After Spike had gone off to catch up with some of his stallion friends for his weekly poker game (she was so glad she had taught him how to play. Especially since he had the ultimate poker face and he regularly returned with four times the bits he left with), Rainbow had snuck back to the market to get all the supplies she would need to make her drake friend an awesome breakfast.

As she grabbed out her frying pan and kitchen utensils, she gave herself a proud smirk.

This was going to be the best breakfast ever.


‘RING! RING! RING!’

With a grumble, a sleepy dragon reached over to his nightstand and hit the off button, silencing the offending device. As he started to ignore the full purpose of the device and drift back to sleep, a shuffling caught his attention, and he looked towards the door of the bedroom.

He couldn’t believe his eyes.

Rainbow flapped her wings awkwardly, trying to keep herself airborne despite several of her feathers (and some of her mane) being clearly burned. In her hooves she held a tray filled with probably the oddest meal Spike had ever seen. The tray held a plate of slimy undercooked pancakes, coated in sapphire dust remains, a glass of orange juice filled with pulp and not a good amount of orange rind, a cup of coffee that could easily be mistaken for gravy and a final plate with something that was probably once food, but was now nothing but charcoal.

At his curious look, Rainbow just gave a disappointing sigh. “This was supposed to be a nice breakfast in bed for you. I got all the stuff yesterday while you were out and I made myself get up early so I could prepare it for you. I wanted to do something nice for our anniversary, but instead I just messed it up and made the worst breakfast ever.”

The sad expression on her face as she floated the wrecked breakfast to the nightstand was too much for Spike, and once she had put down the tray he pulled her into a warm strong hug.

“Hey, you didn’t mess anything up, honest. I’m a dragon, I can eat just about anything. Those pancakes, they look delicious. All covered in sapphire and smothered in syrup, I bet they will taste great. The orange juice and coffee, believe me, there is no way they could beat the abominations that Twilight would come up with when she cooked breakfast. As for what I’m assuming is hay bacon and eggs, I don’t think you realise just how tasty charcoal is to a dragon. Believe me Rainbow, this breakfast right here, is perfect.”

The pegasus raised her head from Spike’s chest to look into his warm eyes and she could just see the sincerity in them.

“W-well, I’m glad that you like it. I just wanted to spoil you for once, since you spoil me all the time and I’m never able to return the favour.”

Spike just looked at her for a moment before he gave a chuckle. This however quite upset the pegasus wrapped in his arms.

“Hey, stop laughing. Man, I go out of my way to do something nice and this is the thanks I get.”

She attempted move away from his, but the dragon held on tight and kept her close to his chest.

“I wasn’t laughing at you, Rainbow. I was just laughing about how you don’t think you spoil me.” When Rainbow gave him a curious look, he continued.

“Rainbow, you spoil me all the time. Every day I get to wake up to the most beautiful and amazing mare snuggled against me. I get to watch that amazing mare show me her tricks and stunts as she gracefully swerves through the air. I get to be the rock in that mare’s life, being there for her whenever she needs me, in a way she would never let anypony else. Rainbow, you spoil me every day, just by being with me.”

Rainbow just stared at him, a smile plastered across her muzzle and misty tears in her eyes. She gave him a tight squeeze as she said, “I’m so lucky to have you in my life.”

“No Rainbow, I’m the lucky one. Now, how about I polish off this wonderful meal you have made me and we have ourselves the best anniversary ever.”

Rainbow smiled and nodded, just waiting for how he would spoil her next.

Author's Note:

Written by Pontiac56.

PreviousChapters Next