• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 5,467 Views, 268 Comments

SpikeDash Group Collab - Vexy



A collection of short stories from the SpikeDash group.

  • ...
13
 268
 5,467

PreviousChapters Next
Swimming Lessons - TheMessenger

The cool ocean air went unappreciated as the stars above in the sky. The stores along the shoreline were empty and dark, their owners and patrons asleep or having fun downtown. Even most of the lanterns that hung on tall poles that ran along the beach had gone out, their oil depleted. Only the pier remained alight, with several strings of festive bulbs tied along the railings.

A little purple dragon sat at the edge, kicking his feet over the water. On his head was a white sailor cap and around his neck was a blue ribbon tied into a little bow. Green spikes grew out of his back and tail. In one claw he held a bundle of daisies, and in the other was a large colorful lollipop. Besides him was a broken fishing pole, the shaft bent to the point of snapping.

"She loves me not."

The dragon tossed a flower into the ocean.

"She loves me not."

Another daisy fell and drifted away.

"She loves me not."

The rest of the daisy joined the first ones. The little dragon rubbed his eyes and sighed. He tried loosening the ribbon around his neck, but it was too well tied.

"She loves me not."

The little dragon stood up and threw his candy as far as he could out to sea. His eyes widened as it returned, striking him in the nose.

"Littering's a crime, you jerk!" came a growl. The little dragon, rubbing his sore nose, looked all around him for the source.

"Down here," the voice said. "In the water."

The little dragon stared into the murky ocean. A sky blue equine head stuck out of the water, illuminated by the light of the pier. A mess of a mane was on the pony's head, colored like a rainbow. Her fiery red eyes that had been glaring at the dragon soften a bit.

"Geez, I didn't think I hit you that hard. You okay?"

The little dragon nodded.

"Oh, good," the mare said. "But seriously, I get enough trash during the day, at least let me sleep in peace."

"Sorry," the dragon mumbled, fidgeting with his claws.

"Well, as long as you've learn your lesson," the blue mare said smugly. "Hey, if you're just gonna throw that lollipop away, can I have it?"

The dragon regarded the dirty candy in his claws. "Sure," he said, tossing it toward the mare.

"Thanks," she said, taking a huge bite out of the hard sugary treat. "So, what are you doing so late at night? Fishing?" the rainbow maned mare asked, nodding to the fishing pole.

The little dragon shook his head. "I was," he replied, "but she got away." He sighed. "Or maybe I just let her go."

"Oh, that's a bummer," the mare said, frowning. "Better luck next time, I guess. There's plenty of other fish in the sea."

"But my fishing pole's broken," the dragon said sadly, lifting the bent tool.

"So?" the mare scoffed. "There're a bunch of other ways, you know, better ways. I mean, it's kinda silly to just stand there on that dock when all the ocean's out there." She pointed out toward the horizon and splashed the water around her.

"But I don't have any money for a boat."

"Then swim, geez." The mare rolled her eyes.

"I can't swim," the dragon admitted, shuffling his feet. "I don't know how."

"Then I'll teach you," the blue mare with the colorful hair said. "Come on," she said, gesturing toward her. "Let me show you my world."

The little dragon looked around. Slowly, he got to his feet. "What if I drown?" he asked nervously.

"I won't let you drown," the mare said fiercely. "I promise."

The little dragon took a deep breath. He leapt.

The two swam past dawn.

Author's Note:

Written by TheMessenger.

PreviousChapters Next