• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 33,020 Views, 1,982 Comments

Heir of the Nightmare - Polaris501



A thousand years ago, Princess Celestia banished her sister to the moon, that much we know. What wasn’t known, and what Celestia kept secret was that before her banishment, Luna had given birth to a foal; Twilight Andromeda Sparkle.

  • ...
85
 1,982
 33,020

Chapter 4: Moonrise

Canterlot Castle

6 hours into Eternal Night

Shining Armor


“No sign of Princess Celestia Captain.”

Things can’t possibly get much worse.

Captain Shining Armor, head of the EUP, was pacing rapidly in the Celestia’s throne room. His armor clacked together as he nervously walked back in forth, joining the symphony of metallic clanging as the other guard’s armor clanked as they themselves shifted in undisguised anxiety.

Two hours earlier, as he was retiring for the night in his private quarters at the barracks, he had decided to check the roster one last time to make sure the castle was properly guarded with sentries for the upcoming festival.

What he found instead however, was a clerical error, perhaps deliberate, that changed the guard’s watch shifts to where none of them were on patrol to protect Princess Celestia that night.

Realizing this, he had immediately galloped to the barracks and woke up all of the sleeping guards. He then sent them to secure the castle and check on the princess quickly.

They searched the castle top to bottem, and they all realized the depth of their failure almost instantly.

Princess Celestia was missing.

Not only that, but there was a faint magic residue in the throne room that told the investigating guards that powerful magic had been used there recently. In addition to that, the princess’s own chambers had been ransacked, papers and books thrown across the room in a mess.

Dread beginning to infect him and the other guards, Shining had sent out guards to Ponyville to see if by chance the princess was there earlier than expected for the Summer Sun Celebration. He then did the one thing he disliked about his job if a situation like this ever arose.

He told his marefriend.

It was difficult admitting to Princess Mi Amore Cadenza the alicorn of Love that he had completely lost track of her adoptive aunt and had let the castle’s security become compromised. Admitting to his blunder had been harder than taking Twilight to the dentist when she was a filly.

Guard Protocol however, stated that the acting Captain of the Royal Guard had to inform Princess Cadence of the situation immediately if Princess Celestia were to ever be incapacitated or unavailable.

The panic attack and then succeeding shout fest from the furious alicorn had done nothing good for his hearing.

Together they then went to the throne room to orchestrate the search effort with the senior officers. Cadence had taken her place on the dais, but refused to sit on Celestia’s throne with Shining staying near her protectively like a hawk.

“Have we heard anything from Ponyville yet?” Cadence’s sweet voice usually soothed him but with Celestia’s disappearance nothing could calm his nerves.

Shining shook his head in frustration as came back to Cadence from talking to some guards that returned with a negative report on the princess’s whereabouts.

“No, not yet. I’ve sent a team of four pegasi to check in with the squad that took Twilight there earlier today. They should be back any moment though.”

He sat back down next to Cadence, waiting patiently for the next report with the rest of the EUP Officers. Shining then looked over hopefully to the team that was finishing investigating the magical residue they had found here in the throne room.

“Corporal Forensics, have you found anything?”

The grey uniciorn looked up from his notes and addressed his captain in a reluctant tone filled with uncertainty.

“Yes sir, there are two definite magical signatures. One of which is Princess Celestia’s. The other is…well…”

“Well what?”

“We don’t know who the other signature belongs too, but from our studying of both residues, we have been able to identify that the other pony was strong in dark magic and that he or she possessed enough raw power to equal, if not surpass, Princess Celestia.”

Horse apples.

Turning back to Cadence quickly, she answered his unspoken question in a slightly skeptical voice.

“Nopony in our history has ever had that level of power, even I don’t measure up that high.” She turned back to Forensics and cocked an eyebrow at the stallion. “Surely you made a mistake Forensics. Please double check your work.”

The stallion looked miffed and tapped his clipboard as he stared impatiently back at the love princess.

“I am not wrong, this is the fifth time I have studied and calculated these magical signatures. Whoever it is that can summon that power is a threat and you should be taking me seriously!”

The stallion was pointing condescendingly at Cadence with one of his hoofs. Some of the guard ponies were dismissive of Cadence as she was new and thought her “soft” because of her status as the alicorn of love.

“Forensics!” Shining yelled, his ire rising at the angry unicorn. “Give respect when addressing Princess Cadence! She is the acting ruler of Equestria!”

Forensics whipped his head to glare at Shining and opened his mouth in what was sure to be an angry retort but the loud boom of the throne room doors interrupted his rant. Shining appraised the newcomers and recognized them as the pegasi guards he had sent to Ponyville earlier.

“Finally!” He breathed out impatiently “I expected you back fifteen minutes ago! Is Princess Celestia in Ponyville?”
Shining could see four pegasi’s wings twitch in recognizable signs of pegasus anxiety . The lead pegasua trotted forward and spoke in a reluctant but firm tone.

“No sir…she was not there. We had to take the three guards posted there to the infirmary for injuries, that’s why it took so long.”

“Injuries?” Cadence exclaimed. “What happened?”

The pegasus shook his head in mild disbelief as the next words slipped from his muzzle.

“Those guards are still unconscious from whatever attacked them. The locals describe the assailant as a black alicorn named…well…her name was …” he trailed off in embarrassment as if he himself didn’t belief the eyewitnesses’ account.

“Who did they say it was? Every piece of information helps.” Shining said encouragingly.

“They said it was Nightmare Moon.”

“What? As in the bogeymare of Nightmare Night?” Shining questioned him in obvious incredulity. Shining’s eyes started checking for any signs of injury to the other pony’s head.

The guard nodded his head in affirmative to reiterate his statement. “Yes, a large mare with a black coat and matching horn and wings with a moon cutie mark.”

Cadence snorted in amusement before saying in a skeptical voice. “Nightmare Moon is an old mares tale, I use to tell it to Twilight when I foalsat her around the time of Nightmare Night. Besides, Aunt Celestia has told me that she and I are the only alicorns on the planet, those were her exact words.”

Her face brightened slightly with a smile and a bubbly laugh escaped her. “What? Do you think Nightmare Moon is going to come and gobble us up?”

“Don’t tempt us princess.”

Shining’s heart stopped, and he felt Cadence stiffen next to him. The malevolent voice had come from directly behind them. Last time he checked, all of the other guards were facing himself and Cadence, and Shining saw all of them freeze up and stand stock still with their mouths open in complete shock. Their eyes wide and lips trembling in fright.

The voice continued.

“Now, turn around so we can revel in the fear on your faces.”

Almost mechanically, Shining slowly turned his head to face the intruder. He could feel the temperature in the room drop fifteen degrees.

Mother of Celestia…

Shining felt his heart drop into his stomach as he gazed upon the mare sitting on Celestia’s throne. The black specter was taller than
Celestia and wore thick blue armor with a symbol of the moon emblazoned on the chest piece.

But it was her face that kept his desire to run and scream like a filly at bay.

Behind the helmet’s eye pieces a pair of teal eyes with slits for pupils glimmered with excitement as they took in the terror the guards showed in her presence. Her muzzle was split into an insane smile that revealed the teeth of a predator.

Faster than what Shining believed possible, he saw the alicorn’s horn light up and Cadence was jerked toward the intimidating alicorn.

“Hey!! No!”

Shining stepped forward to attack the errant alicorn but froze and his muscles clenched in horror as he took in Cadence’s situation.

The large mare slammed Cadence violently onto the ground at the base of the throne and sealed her pink horn with a magic inhibitor.

The black alicorn then placed a very sharp and pointed iron hoof directly on top of her throat, like an executioner waiting for the order to drop the ax.

“If any of you take a single step, either to confront us or run away, she’s dead.”

Shining broke out into a cold sweat underneath the gold armor as he stared into the eyes that shimmered with hope that they would do just that so she could carry out the threat. His voice quiveried in fear for Cadence he addressed the alicorn.

“Who are you? What do you want?”

“We are Nightmare Moon, alicorn of the Night and ruler of Equestria. And what we want Shining Armor is simple, even for a foal like you.”

The nightmare never stopped smiling even as she dug her armored hoof deeper into Cadence’s neck, causing the smaller alicorn to whimper in terror as she felt the pressure increase on her neck.

“What?” he asked her, almost begging for an answer from Cadence’s tormenter.

“To distract you.”

CRASH!!!

The sudden escalation in noise came from the stained glass windows in the room. Centuries old art shattered in a multicolored fragments as dark armored thestrals broke through them. The broken glass tinkered across the stone floor and skidded across as if on ice. Shining’s fellow guards cried out in shock as some of the glass cut into them and then tried valiantly to battle the speeding thestrals that slammed into them at bone-crushing speed.

Shining stepped forward intending to cast barriers or combat spells, when he realized his rookie mistake.

He had turned his back on Nightmare Moon.

As soon as the thought registered, Shining felt himself lift off the ground as a spell hit him from behind and throw him across the room, his legs flailing uselessly, towards the unyielding stone walls.

The last thing he saw was Nightmare Moon.

Still smiling.


Groggily, Shining opened his eyes as consciousness returned to him. He registered that his armor was gone and he could feel pressure at the base of his horn, which was most likely an inhibitor ring.

“Uugghh.” He groaned. “How long was I out?”

“Three minutes.” The dreaded voice whispered into his ear.

That woke him up.

Shining found himself and Cadence between two armored thestrals with two more behind them. All of them wearing smug grins as they beamed in the moment of their triumph. Shining also saw his other guards, who were also armorless standing in a group with thestrals surrounding them too.

He scowled and glared at Nightmare Moon, bile rising up in his throat as he tasted defeat.

“Princess Celestia will defeat you.” He growled at the smirking mare in front of him.

“Oh?” her oily voice asked. “You still have faith in our sister?” Her tone was dripping with sarcasm and Shining felt a small part of him die as he realized what that meant.

“You,” he spat. “You did something to her, that’s why she’s been missing and the sun hasn’t risen.”

Nightmare rolled her draconic eyes and slowly clapped her hooves together, the metallic sound echoing in the silent throne room.

“Very good Captain Obvious! With soldiers like you, it’s no wonder my sister was alone when I dethroned her.”

Oh, that hurt. The sheer guilt of having failed his princess so spectacularly was being hammered into his mind with every clap from the night alicorn.

“Where is she?! What have you done to her?!” Cadence shrieked at Nightmare, her voice panicked and tears starting to form in her beautiful eyes.

Nightmare looked down with an expression of disdain of belittlement and said in a whisper, her muzzle inches from Cadence’s ear, “We will leave your imagination to decide, it does not change the outcome.” She paused and tapped her hoof on the floor and an overly-exaggerated expression of one in thought decorated her face. “Perhaps you shall join her, but we have a better idea.”

The smile that spread across her face would have made Ursa Majors cry for their mothers. She slowly trotted around behind Cadence. Nightmare reared up to frightening heights and slammed her hooves down on the smaller alicorn’s back, causing her to thunder to the ground in a painful thump. Cadence could barely cry out as she sucked desperately for breath after having the air knocked out of her lungs. Nightmare had her pressed to the floor with one foreleg at the base of each of her pink wings.

“Please do not refrain from screaming, we do enjoy it when you squeal.”

SNAP

“AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!”

Shining struggled in futile against the thestral guard as Cadence writhed underneath the nightmare’s hooves, screaming in agony as a wing was broken.

SNAP

The screaming only increased in volume and intensity as Nightmare put all of her immense weight on Cadence’s broken wings, her face contorted with pleasure as she listened to the mare scream.

Slowly the screams died away, leaving a shocked silence behind as Nightmare stepped over Cadence’s broken form to face the both of them.

“Ah, such sweet music to our ears. You might have to perform for us again sometime little miss nopony, we find your screams to be most pleasant.”

She looked over to the guards at the back and spoke to what appeared to be that group’s leader.

“Knight Scorpio, take those guards to the dungeons and lock them up, fix the unicorns with magic inhibitors and the pegasi with wing binders. But before you do, we have something to tell the prisoners.”

That horrible smile dawned on her face again and Shining dreaded what she would say next.

“There are five civilian prisoners in the cisterns also, a unicorn, two pegasi, and two earth ponies. If any of these guard prisoners struggle against you in any way, start torturing the civilian prisoners until they stop."

Shining could feel the blood drain from his face in absolute horror, becoming paler he realized what that meant once the order was given. He knew that his guards would have caused trouble for their captors if it was just them in harm’s way. But with Nightmare’s threat of any mischief on their part causing harm to come to innocent civilians, none of them would do anything to raise their captor’s ire.

With that depressing warning reverberating in his guard’s heads, Nightmare nodded and the thestrals led them to the dungeons, none of them making a sound or causing any kind of trouble, as complacent as kittens.

Leaving Shining and Cadence alone with the monster.

Nightmare’s eyes flashed with glee as she continued staring at her captives.

“You two,” she spat. “We are going to keep you here in the castle as servants. That threat won’t apply to you as I have a much more…entertaining way of keeping you complacent.”

Shining only stared and Cadence whimpered at the thought of what the demon from Tarturus thought was entertaining.

Nightmare Moon’s horn glowed and Shining felt his magic inhibitor warm up slightly before cooling back down, the same happening for Cadence.

“We have enchanted your inhibitors to cause pain any time you try leave the castle, work against us or anyone with my authority, steal, be disrespectful or inhibit us in any way. In addition, these inhibitors will monitor any rebellious conversations you have and will alert us of what you say to anypony should it involve actions against us. The pain will start when you do any one of these things and only increase so long as you don’t obey.”

Shining glared at Nightmare in defiance, a small amount of courage coming out.

“No amount of pain will ever keep me from trying to stop or hurt you.”

Laughter echoed through the throne room, cold and tasteless as it rebounded off the stone walls.

That laughter chilled him more than anything else she had done previously. It was etched in malicious amusement and came out long and it froze the blood in his veins.

“Oh, how amusing. You thought it would cause yourself pain? Silly, foalish Armor, it will cause Cadence pain every time you don’t obey, and vice versa.”

“You’re a monster.” He stated.

“AAaaahh!!” Cadence yelped in pain and her eyes started twitching as her inhibitor lit up.

Shining quickly turned back to Nightmare in urgency.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

Cadence fell down again and her body increasingly twitched with her eyes scrunched up and tears came flowing out as the glowing of her inhibitor increased.

“Sorry what?” Nightmare asked sweetly. Her eyes staring with perverse glee at Cadence’s torture.

“I’M SORRY YOUR MAJESTY!!” he yelled, desperate for Cadence’s suffering to end.

Her inhibitor’s glow died and Cadence fell panting to the floor again, her broken wings flopping uselessly at her sides.

“We hope you enjoy serving us. Don’t you just love being our servants?” Nightmare’s voice couldn’t get any smugger as she waited for the expected answer with the none-too subtle taunt.

“Yes, we love being your servants.” They both said in a monotone as they ground out the hated reply. Shining with barely leashed anger and Cadence with weak resignation.

“Good.” Nightmare commended. She sounded like she was enjoying herself in their shared misery. “Now, go and set her useless wings Armor, we don’t want our new servant to get infected. After you finish with that, go up to the former ruler’s bed chamber. You will find your new master, my daughter,” Genuine excitement and happiness seemed to accompany those two words. “sleeping on the bed. You are to obey everything she says if she awakens. We will know if and when that happens. Now go, your filthy presence is stinking up my new throne room.”

They both trudged out of the throne room in silence and their heads bowed low in resignation to their fate. Once the throne room door closed behind them, the boom echoing down the silent and empty hallway, they made their way to the medical wing.

The nightmare had won, and they had loss.


On the Way to Celestia’s Former Chamber

30 Minutes Later

Cadence

“Do you feel any better?”

Cadence nodded numbly at Shining as they walked to Celestia’s chamber. Her wings were set and wrapped in bandages but still ached with every step she took. But that was nothing compared to the sense of failure that infected her. Tears fell to the floor with every step as she pondered her adopted aunt’s fate.

Celestia had always been kind and caring to her ever since she had been taken in as the sun princess’s neice after Cadence had ascended. Now all Cadence could think about was that she had somehow contributed to Equestria’s crisis and her aunt’s demise. But how could she do anything against Nightmare Moon without causing Shining to feel unbearable pain?

“Shining?” She sniffed. “What are we going to do?”

She had always admired how he was strong and steadfast. It shook her to the core to see him so lost and broken. He seemed to have aged ten years within the ten minutes they had been in that throne room with the demon. His bearing, always so confidant and full of purpose was now slouched as he projected to the world how unsure he was of himself.

“I don’t know Cadence.” He said dejectedly. “These inhibitors and their rules are pretty air-tight.” Shining winced and looked back at her as they continued walking through the silent castle. “I’m really sorry back there, I didn’t know just saying that would activate the enchantments.”

“It’s alright Shiny, you couldn’t have known. I’m sorry that we’re stuck like this.”

“Yeah,” he said. “Do you think Twilight’s O.K.?”

Cadence pondered that. Celestia had told her that she had sent Twilight and Spike to Ponyville for the Summer Sun Celebration preparations.

“She’s smart, she’ll stay out of trouble since she’s in a small town out of the way. I’m more concerned about when she finds out about Celestia or us and what she might do.”

A sense of horror dawned across his face as he realized just what Twilight would do.

“We’ve got to warn her, somehow, to stay away from the castle. We’ll figure it out once we escape from watching over Nightmare’s daughter.”

“Have you ever heard of Nightmare having a child in any of those old mares’ tales?” He asked after a pause.

“No. Which makes me wonder who this mare or filly actually is, and what their relation to Nightmare Moon is really.”

“Whoever it is, I bet she’s really ugly like her mother. Fangs and everything.”

As soon as the words left his mouth, he stopped and stared at Cadence in anxious anticipation suddenly to see if that triggered the enchantment.

Nothing happened.

“Huh,” She commented “I guess it only activates if we say it to them personally or around others.”

“Cadence I’m so sorry.” Shining pleaded with her as they resumed walking towards Celestia’s chamber. They could see the doors at
the end of the hallway. “I spoke without thinking, but now I guess we can vent a little bit.”

“Yeah…” Cadence thought for a moment, trying to find something vindictive to say. “I bet Nightmare’s daughter is a…messy eater!”

“You’re not good at being mean are you?”

“No. Comes with the territory of being the alicorn of love.”

They had reached the doors.

“Ugh.” Shining complained. “I can’t believe we’re doing this. I bet this daughter of Nightmare’s is a total witch.”

“Let’s just get it over with so we can start brainstorming on what to do next. After you?”

“The captain always takes point when entering a monster’s lair, princess. Follow me, and we shall brave this monstrosity together.” He gestured dramatically and rolled his eyes before facing the chamber entrance.

He pushed open the door with a hoof before Cadence saw him stop in shock and stare bug-eyed into the room.

“What? Is she really hideous?”

“Dhhh” was his answer.

“Oh come on, it can’t be that…bad…”

Cadence stepped into the Celestia’s chamber fully and for the first time gazed upon Nightmare Moon’s daughter.

A familiar purple pony with a horn and wings slept on the bed.

“Oh no. This is much worse.”

Author's Note:

1. If readers can recall, the clerical error in the guard's shift roster was set up by Celestia, this is mentioned in Chapter 1 when NM confronts Celestia. 2. Thestrals are the name of the lunar pegasi, as illustrated by the Lunar Eclipse episode of MLP. 3. The reason for their loyalty is very simple. Since MLP show between NM and Celestia didn't show any other guards or ponies, I'm taking it as the Thestrals believed Celestia had deliberately banished Luna and made up the story of NM and so remained loyal to the night princess. Eventually as time went by the thestrals' stories of Luna and NM mingled and became one and the same to them, causing the present thestrals to believe that they and their ancestors are loyal to NM. Their appearance will be explained later on, I hope it was a pleasant surprise. 4. This chapter has had the most character dialogue so far, let me know how I did and what I can do to improve it. 5. The irony of Shining and Cadence being Twilight's new personal servants is so ironic, it hurt when I laughed at the idea. I enjoyed typing their conversation and speculation on what they thought Nightmare's daughter was going to be like. 6. Enjoy! comments are welcome and encouraged.