• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 33,004 Views, 1,982 Comments

Heir of the Nightmare - Polaris501



A thousand years ago, Princess Celestia banished her sister to the moon, that much we know. What wasn’t known, and what Celestia kept secret was that before her banishment, Luna had given birth to a foal; Twilight Andromeda Sparkle.

  • ...
85
 1,982
 33,004

Flashback III: Of Stars and Bears

Canterlot Castle

Eleven Years Before the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration

Celestia


It had been an exhausting day and she was sporting a few new bruises, but Celestia would have it no other way.

Twilight was with her.

The small filly was literally bouncing with excitement as she carried a large package on her back. They were moving through the castle out into the Royal Gardens, where a crystal table and Celestia’s evening tea sat waiting for them. The stars in the night sky seemed to sparkle more so than usual that night, for Celestia had just set the sun and raised the moon.

“Princess! I’m so excited!” Twilight squealed giddily, her brown package bobbing up and down on her back as she skipped along, the cutie-mark of a large pink star surrounded by five smaller white ones that she had just received earlier that day shining on her lavender flank.

Celestia too, was excited. It wasn’t every day she was reunited with her sister’s daughter, though Twilight had no idea of their relation.

Of course, Celestia had no idea when she had woken up that morning that she would have an impromptu family reunion with her niece, nor had she anticipated the two of them having tea in the gardens just after Celestia had raised the moon.

It had started earlier that day, when Celestia was touring the grounds of her school with the headmaster. She had been walking quite briskly, eager to shed the rambling stallion trailing after her and return to her castle when the city had felt a disturbance.

A very…explosive disturbance.

After the initial boom that reverberated across the mountain, the tower above her had become illuminated with fiery trails of purple lightening that lanced through the air like shears in a wheat field. The shockwave had broken windows for miles inside Canterlot and rattled the walls of the city. Ponies that had not been rendered unconscious from the magical output pouring from the tower soon fled from the school and its immediate vicinity. Much to the shock of the fleeing onlookers, what appeared to be a fully grown dragon sprouted from the tower, breaking through the roof to look blinkingly down on the panicked pedestrians.

Celestia had immediately flown up to the top of the tower to quell the magical flare and to tame the dragon. Upon studying it, Celestia had realized that the dragon, while having the appearance of a fully-grown drake, had the mind of a newborn hatch-ling. Also, she discovered it was the same dragon that had been the small green egg she had given the school centuries ago.

Celestia had given the dragon egg to her school’s professors for it to be used at the entrance exam in order to measure the candidate’s magic. Few unicorns Celestia had ever known could have hatched the egg, the magical caliber required would have to have been on the same level as Starswirl the Bearded and Clover the Clever. Students that had reached the egg-stage in the admission process were already admitted (though the students were never told this, is was a well-kept secret among the alumni of her school), and the egg was to see the magical output the new students would possess. Celestia didn’t think that children would have ever been capable of actually hatching it.

But there it was, staring back at her as she had hovered above it, not only hatched, but magically amplified a hundred times its original size.

Upon the clarification that the not-so-small baby dragon posed no threat, Celestia had dived past the enlarged drake and into the tower’s room through the shattered roof, landing upon the crackling stone a few yards from the epicenter of the magical flare. Shielding her eyes from the brightness of the flare with a wing, she looked into the glaring purple light and beheld a shockingly familiar filly.

It was her niece, Twilight.

Though Twilight was a bit larger since Celestia had seen her in the six years since she gave her to Twilight Velvet and Night Light to be adopted, there was no mistaking the lavender fur or her purple and pink mane.

As Twilight floated in the air before her, her eyes glowing like miniature stars, Celestia studied the magic emanating from the distressed filly.

It had become apparent immediately that the flare had been set off while Twilight had been either using magic, or about to, when something had scared or shocked her, unlocking the ocean of magic inside her like a dam bursting.

Celestia was infinitely grateful that Twilight was young and innocent, for an uncontrolled magical flare usually reflected the turmoil the pony was experiencing. In an adult pony, ambient magic could be disastrous, and often ended in extreme injury or death. But because Twilight was a child, the magic she had lost control of while potentially dangerous, had instead intruded on her surroundings in ways that Celestia could easily counter.

Twilight had obviously been concentrating on hatching the egg when her flare went off, which involved a passage of time and growth physically. With her magic unleashed, the flare had not only hatched the egg, but had aged the hatch-ling physically to the size of a thousand year old dragon.

The other victims of the uncontrolled magic were apparently two ponies that had been turned into potted plants along with a group of ponies Celestia recognized as professors from her school that were being levitated around inside the tower.

Quickly, before the magic turned into something lethal, Celestia had reached out with a hoof along with a strand of magic towards Twilight, touching her gently on the shoulder. With the connection made, Celestia felt a sudden rush upon her mind as the magic relayed Twilight’s panicked emotions along the connection. She could feel the alarm and panic from when Twilight lost control of her magic as well as with her fierce determination to pass the exam.

Sympathy and compassion rising within herself, Celestia had sent positive feelings of calm and peace back down the connection, where she felt Twilight metaphysically grab them like a lifeline.

Almost instantly, the magic’s flow had cut off as Twilight calmed down and Celestia helped reassert control over her powerful magic.

The dragon shrunk down to a hatch-ling’s size, sucking on its tail. The potted plants turned back into Twilight’s adoptive parents. And the professors were suddenly dropped from their levitation field that had entrapped them.

Recovering from the effects of the wild magic, Celestia looked down to see two wide purple eyes staring back at her.

In that moment, as Twilight stared tearfully up at her, Celestia knew she could no longer try to keep Twilight away from her.

Twilight was family, and she realized how wrong it was of her to have fostered Twilight on somepony else. Celestia had a responsibility to Twilight, and she would take this opportunity to reunite, regardless of the dangers of taking Luna’s place as the maternal figure in Twilight’s life.

The conversation that followed was quick and to the point, as Celestia had been eager to bond with her niece. Asking for Twilight to become her student was a necessary step, for besides the obvious of wanting a hoof in Twilight’s upbringing, the potential for another, more violent magical flare could only be avoided within the walls of the castle, behind centuries of protective enchantments and close to where Celestia could keep a close eye on Twilight.

While Twilight jumped around from her excitement from being Celestia’s new student, she had noticed Twilight’s flank glowing, and investigated.

What she had found almost made her drop in shock.

She recognized it.

She had seen Twilight’s new Cutie-Mark a long time ago when Starswirl the Bearded had showed the sisters the Tree of Harmony within the Everfree Forest, before either of them had earned their Cutie-Marks. On the tree’s trunk were three distinctive symbols, a sun, a moon, and a star.

The same star Twilight now had on her flank.

For the longest time after the Royal Sisters had earned their marks, they had wondered about the star on the trunk, as the sun and moon they recognized as their own then. They had asked Starswirl about it, but the old stallion had refused to elaborate, even though he hinted he knew something. The unicorn wizard was renowned for peering into the heavens and divining prophecy from the stars, but he did not hoof out the information he learned lightly, if ever.

Further musings at that point would have to wait, for Celestia had to take Twilight back to the castle after showing the giddy filly her new mark. Her parents had hastily packed a few of her things for the overnight stay, while more packing would be done later.

Which brought her back to now.

“Princess! Princess! Look! We’re here!”

Shaking herself from her reminiscing, Celestia fully acknowledged her surroundings and found herself in her garden, with Twilight bouncing around with seemingly unending energy.

“O.K Twilight, now what is it you—“

“TWILY!”

Celestia turned to face the interruption, which had taken the form of a young unicorn guard. He had a white coat and a blue mane and was also wearing the light golden armor of a Royal Guard Cadet.

The colt ran up to them and skidded to a halt in front of Twilight, scooping the surprised filly into his forelegs before hugging the protesting filly.

“Shiny! Too tight! I can’t—ugh—breathe!”

Oh. So this must be Shining Armor.

Celestia knew all of her guards, but they had just taken in a new group of cadets a week previous and the sun alicorn had yet to meet them. When they had been packing Twilight to come to the castle, Velvet and Night Light told Celestia about how their son was a new cadet in her guard, and was actually at the castle.

“Shiny look! I got my Cutie-Mark!” Twilight yelled, pointing a hoof at her flank.

Shiny looked at it closely, his eyes scanning it. “Stars eh? Is that for magic then, like Mom and Dad?”

“Oh, uhmm…I think so!” Twilight turned around to Celestia “It is for magic, right Princess?”

Hhhmm…a good question.

Cutie-Marks were perhaps one of greatest mysteries to ever be studied by pony kind. Some if not most of Equestria deduced what their real calling was in life and called them ‘special talants’ while the more deep-thinking philosophers questioned if a mark was the magical signature of a pony’s soul, showing their destiny or perhaps the nature of the soul.

Celestia for one, thought it was a combination of both. While there was no denying that ponies developed talents matching their mark, Cutie-Marks also tended to reveal something about a pony’s personality and character.

There was also something to be said for how a pony was raised and who their family were. The Famous Apple Family was a shining example of this as the whole family found talents that were apple related in some form or fashion. However, genetics weren’t the only factor. A pony’s upbringing had a lot to do with their character and it showed with the Cutie-Mark they earned, it was not just based on family alone. Twilight, though being Luna’s daughter, could very well have developed a talent dealing with magic like her adoptive parents, it would be many years until Celestia could be sure. Cutie-Marks may appear in a single day, but exploring the meaning behind the mark was a journey of self-discovery that could take decades.

All the same, Celestia smiled down at Twilight reassuringly.

“I believe so, but each mark is different and special and no two are alike.” She padded Twilight reassuringly on the filly’s back. “That is something for you yourself to discover though, nopony can do it for you.”

“AAAaaaaaaaawwwwwww!!!” Twilight wailed, throwing herself on the ground. “You mean I still have to find out!? I thought when I got my Cutie-Mark, I would know!” Twilight turned back to Shining with a pleading expression. “Didn’t you Shiny?”

“Well…no, not exactly.” He replied, rubbing a hoof behind his head as he looked down at Twilight bashfully.

“What!”

“Twily, even though you found your Mark, it will still take a while for you to fully understand what it means, it isn’t you know, instantaneous knowledge about who you are.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Darn.” Twilight, though seeming a bit put out, trotted up to Celestia where she looked up at her tall aunt with a wide smile. “I guess that means it’s a good thing I’m your student, right Princess?”

Celestia giggled, warm fuzzy feelings floating inside her. “That’s right Twilight, we can discover it together if you want.”

To her slight surprise, Twilight leaned forward and gave Celestia a hug. Though the small filly couldn’t reach all the way around her aunt’s larger frame, the warmness of the hug still felt lovely.

“Thanks you, soooOO much!”

Mustn’t (sniffle) cry…

Celestia realized she had never hugged her niece. She had picked Twilight up when she was a foal and in her coma, but the two of them mutually hugging had never happened.

Not willing for Twilight let go, Celestia wrapped her own forelegs around Twilight and returned the embrace, holding Twilight close to her heart, where she belonged.

Celestia saw Shining Armor smile slightly and discreetly motioned that he was leaving. Celestia watched as the young colt trotted back into the castle and dipped out of sight.

Celestia continued to hold Twilight until the filly started squirming.

“Princess! You’re just like Shiny! I can’t breathe!”

Reluctantly, Celestia lowered Twilight until the filly was back on the ground.

“Sorry, I don’t get hugged very often.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, tilting her head to the side. “That’s too bad, you give the warmest hugs!”

Oh my sun, she’s just like Luna.

Celestia struggled in vain to hold back the floodwaters that threatened to pour down her cheeks. She didn’t want Twilight to see her cry so she pointed back towards the package the filly had brought to the garden, seeking to distract her.

“What is it you wanted to show me Twilight?”

Earlier, after Twilight had gotten settled in to her tower, Twilight had asked her if she could show Celestia her favorite hobby.

Twilight turned back to her brown package and squealed as she scurried over to it.

“It’s my telescope!” Twilight told her enthusiastically, almost ripping the paper off as she hurried to set the telescope up. “I use it to stargaze!”

Oh…no….

Old feelings of guilt and loneliness welt up inside of Celestia as she looked down at Luna’s daughter, who apparently loved to stargaze, just like her mother. She could practically feel the moon’s light burning her as it hung like a vulture behind her, where she couldn’t see it. Celestia knew only far too well the dangers of discussing the moon and stars with Twilight, she could just see herself dissolving into tears in front of the confused filly.

With the a few last pieces fitting into place, Twilight grunted a little as she heaved the large contraption into place, the lens facing directly at the moon.

“Even though my cutceneara isn’t for a few more days, Shiny gave me this! Isn’t it neat?”

“Oh—it is indeed, do you—uh—stargaze often?” Celestia asked timidly, her calm demeanor cracking a bit.

“Every single night! That is—um—when Mom doesn’t make me go to bed that is. I could stay awake all night! Shiny says I’m a night owl.”

Gee, I wonder where she got that from?

Twilight adjusted a few knobs on the telescope and zoomed in on the moon.

“There’s a full moon out tonight, and I want to get a closer look!”

Oh please! Anything but that!!!

Struggling against the feelings of overwhelming guilt that threatened to reduce the immortal sun to a quibbling wreck of a mare, Celestia looked as dispassionately as she could at the moon, and more specifically, at the Mare in the Moon that covered its pearly white face.

Years after Celestia had banished Nightmare Moon, she had investigated into whether the lunar craters were her sister, or a symbol of her imprisonment.

What she had discovered haunted her to no end.

Using the most powerful telescope of the time, along with a prestigious amount of magic, Celestia had peered up at the moon to find out her sister’s fate, four centuries into her banishment. The craters dotting the moon were indeed a symbol of her fallen sister’s prison, for Celestia had seen her sister’s chained form inside the eye of the Mare in the Moon, struggling and screaming silently at Equestria below.

Celestia had cried for weeks, and it had taken several years to recover from her discovery. She was immensely relieved that nopony else could see her sister’s state. No telescope had that level of intensity to fully see clearly the small black dot in the center of the eye of the Mare in the Moon, Celestia had needed her magic to amplify the visual.

Nightmare Moon would have her privacy, if nothing else.

Now, sitting with Luna’s daughter, who wanted to look at her mother’s prison with her jailor, Celestia had to use every ounce of self-control not to collapse and cry for forgiveness. Even so, she could feel her lips starting to tremble and her limbs shake.

Twilight looked from her to the telescope and back again, her small brow ruffled in a question.

“Is something wrong princess?”

For just a moment, Celestia was tempted to reveal to her everything. Luna, her coma, absolutely everything.

But she didn’t.

Thinking quickly, Celestia knew she had to distract Twilight from the moon before she gave something away.

“Well…I actually want to know what you’re favorite constellation is.”

Celestia mentally crossed her wings and waited to see if Twilight would take her focus away from the moon, the stars were a much safer subject.

Oh please oh please take the bait…

Seemingly unaware of Celestia’s inner turmoil, Twilight’s smile reappeared and she swung the telescope into another section of the sky and unnoticed by the lavender filly, Celestia heaved out a heavy sigh of relief.

“Oh there’s so many! Like Cancer, Canis Major and Minor, the Big and Little Dipper, Lupas, Draco, and the Ursas!!”

Though she had handled the stars along with the moon since Nightmare Moon’s banishment, Celestia had never truly gotten to know the constellations that well.

The night in general brought back too many memories.

Twilight continued.

“I don’t really have a favorite, so they’re—um—all my favorite!”

Chuckling at Twilight’s innocence, Celestia pointed at the telescope.

“Even so, which one are you looking at currently?”

Twilight scampered back to her telescope and cupped her hoof to the eyepiece as she looked through it, sending her gaze to the heavens.

“I’m looking at Ursa Major!”

“Oh? Why?”

“Because it…well…kind of reminds me of my mother.”

Twilight lowered herself from the telescope, and Celestia was surprised so see that tears were forming in her purple eyes.

“I—I—I miss her…”

For perhaps the third time within a span of ten minutes, Celestia found herself on the verge of renewing her mourning. She knew Twilight was not referring to Luna, her real mother, but instead was referring to Velvet, her adoptive one.

But even so, it still hurt to hear it.

Twilight sniffled and rubbed her eyes with her hoof as Celestia realized that even though Velvet was just a quick walk away, Twilight was suffering from some separation anxiety. For a moment, just a moment, if she just pretended, she could imagine it was Twilight talking about Luna instead.

“Why does the Ursa Major remind you of your mother?”

Twilight stared up at her and her voice trembled as she spoke.

“Well…I’ve always seen Ursa Major as a mama bear to Ursa Minor, the baby bear. A-and I could imagine that she’s always there to l-look out for me and—and that she loves me.” Twilight cantered slowly over to Celestia and nuzzled her. “I…I just miss her princess, I’m sorry.”

Celestia felt tears run down her face freely, no longer was she trying to mask her emotions. Not with Twilight. Gently, Celestia picked up the crying filly and cradled her.

“Shhhh. It’s alright, it’s O.K., and you’re going to be fine.” She cooed, rocking Twilight back and forth.

Twilight stopped sniffling and looked up at her aunt with a half lidded gaze.

“I…I’m so tired princess…” She yawned “I think…it’s time I went to bed.”

“I think so too, you’ve had a busy day.” Celestia replied, still cradling Twilight.

Blearily, as if Twilight was well on her way to the dream world, Twilight reached out to her telescope drowsily from her place in Celestia’s forelegs.

“Just let me…pack my telescope…”

“No need Twilight, I’ll take care of it.”

“Thank you princess. That’s very nicccczzzzzz…” While Twilight tried to finish her sentence, she finally fell asleep, small cute snores escaping her muzzle.

She even snores like Luna.

Levitating Twilight onto her back as she simultaneously folded up the telescope, she made her way back towards the castle so she could put Twilight to bed. Just as she reached the gateway, Celestia looked back towards the moon, and the mother on it.

“I miss her too.”

Author's Note:

Enjoy! 1) This chapter is to mostly explain how and why Celestia took Twilight as her student. Much of it you could probably guess from the episode (Cutie Mark Chronicles/Hasbro) but it was in my interest for the plot of this story to get into specifics. 2) I know this isn't what most of you were probably expecting, but I also wanted to demenostrate the levels of intensity between the flare Twilight had as a filly and the flare she started unleashing in the last chapter. For specific plot reasons. Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed the update and I will hopefully have the next chapter done pretty soon!