• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 5,105 Views, 24 Comments

The Rotten Core - StarlightFeather



After Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's teasing makes Apple Bloom question her friendships, she runs away to find a new home and new friends. What lagnths will her family and friends go to to find her?

  • ...
4
 24
 5,105

The Confrontation

Night Shade's eyes snapped open, having felt a flux of pony magic a few miles away. He must have finally been strong enough to sense it, whatever it was, however long it had been here.

“It seems we have visitors.” Night Shade spoke, not moving otherwise. His eyes shot over to his newest creation and he smiled. “Shall we give your new abilities a test run?” Silence. “More emotions to consume...and very powerful magic. Come. Let us prepare to greet our new friends.”

The fillies yawned as the protective spell went down from around the cave. The older ponies, though, were quite awake.

“Alright, girls.” Twilight started, her horn glowing as her retrieval of the spell completed. “Where do we start today?”

“We've been out her for three days!” Rainbow complained. “Don't you think if Apple Bloom were here, we'd of found her by now?”

“We stay out here till we find her?” Applejack's voice was firm, and Rainbow frowned at her. Suddenly, Luna's heartbeat picked up as the surge of dark magic returned, stronger than ever.

“Luna?” Twilight asked, picking up on the larger alicorn's fearful look.

“He's here.” she said in something of a gasp. Before anypony could even asked, a flash appeared before them and died down as quickly as it had come. There stood what appeared to be a little black unicorn foal with an insidious expression. “You...”

“Aw, you remember me.” the foal cooed, not sounding like a foal at all. Noticing the unsure looks of the other ponies, he raised an eyebrow. “Oh dear, how rude of me. I suppose this form is unfitting for our first meeting.”

“Form?” Twilight asked and she opened her mouth to ask what he meant, but was shocked into silence at what she saw. The foal's body distorted out in a sickening way, areas of flesh stretching and folding, and soon the foal looked more like King Somba had than a foal. Twilight's mind went blank.

“Do you two...know each other?” Rarity asked, swallowing to suppress her gag reflex. What had just happened had made her feel ill.

“I met him over a thousand years ago.” Luna said, her memories seeming to return on cue now that this...creature was here before them. “I fell into his trap. Celestia freed me before he could do too much damage, but by that time...”

“Didn't those Nightmare things turn you into Nightmare Moon?” Rainbow asked.

“Mostly, yes, but they would have never willed their influence on me if he hadn't clouded my mind before. I might have gotten away, but he is the one who set my hooves on the path. He finds somepony venerable, blocks all positive memories and uses it to twist and corrupt them. He gains power from misery, which he can also create and amplify for even more power.”

“Very good.” the creature said, his manor of speaking no longer sounding strange now that it wasn't in a foal's voice. “I'm from even before any of you ponies could remember, and your kind have a greater capacity for emotion that anything I've seen in eons. Why, that little filly alone was like a walking buffet.”

“Filly?” Applejack questioned, and immediately took on an aggressive stance. “Where's Apple Bloom? What'ja do with her?”

“Oh we had great fun together.” he said. Applejack's face drained of color. Had? “Perhaps you would like to meet her, before we move on to the cities and such, where the fear and panic will make me unstoppable. Until than, I think I'll just enjoy a little appetizer.”

Luna tried to shoot at him with her magic in a panic, but he teleported out of the way to a safer place. The ponies could see him raising up his head and his eyes glowing a bright green, summoning up another creature, which appeared where he had stood before.

It looked like a skinny manticore, but not exactly. It was about half the size, with a streak of red hair going down the back of it's neck in place of a mane, small paws that looked more nimble than powerful, a pale cream coat and – hauntingly – a very pony-like quality to it's face. On it's forehead was a small insignia, that looked like a fancily drawn flame. It's amberish eyes struck Applejack.

“A-Apple Bloom?” she asked, sounding small. The creature responded by roaring at her, showing it's huge maw full of pointy teeth and fangs. Fluttershy yelped and crouched down, shivering in fear.

“Mmm.” the hum turned the mares' attention to the first creature, who looked to be savoring something. “Fear's not as good as misery, but it's quite welcome.”

“Have courage, Fluttershy.” Luna warned, continuing to eye him. “Don't give him the gratification of your fear.” Without missing a beat, she turned back the the fillies, who had ducked back into the cave where at least they were somewhat safer than out here.

“Apple Bloom, attack.” the first creature spoke and the second obeyed instantly, letting out another roar and leaping at the seven ponies. Applejack, her shock at all of this slowing her down, was out after seconds when Apple Bloom slammed a claw into her, sending her flying into a tree. Twilight, Rarity and Luna all blasted at it with their magic, which was harder than it looked while still suppressing their emotions and after a few moments, Twilight and Rarity grew exhausted. With a single swipe of her opened claw, Rarity fell back into the cave unconscious and Twilight barreled into Rainbow Dash, momentarily disorienting them for a moment.

“Magic doesn’t seem to work.” Luna yelled up at them, and was quick to dodge another swipe, this time with fully extended claws.

“Than what does?” Rainbow asked as the ferret suddenly appeared on Apple Bloom's back, biting into the back of her neck. She drew herself back in pain, throwing the ferret off of her and into a cave – where Fluttershy was hiding.

A yellow blur rammed into Apple Bloom's face, finally seeming to have an effect. The remaining ponies watch, impressed, as Fluttershy continued her assault. When Twilight noticed that the first creature seemed to be relishing in something, his eyes glowing, she turned back to Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy, stop!” she called. “He's feeding off your rage, you need to calm down!”

“Fight! Fight! Fight!” Rainbow Dash cheered blindly, not seeming to notice the looks she got from her remaining companions.

There was a strange energy building up in the crest, Twilight and Luna felt. Before either of them could question it, a burst of wind-like power over took them, sending them and Rainbow away. Twilight and Luna were down, but Rainbow Dash maneuvered herself back inaction, receiving an excited cheer from Scootaloo back in the cave.

With the only vulnerability exposed, Pinkie began kicking at Apple Bloom's clawed legs as Rainbow Dash tackled her from the air again and again, which seemed to be much more effective. Pinkie was kicked away herself, and while it took a while to catch Rainbow Dash, the pegasus eventually tiered and was caught and slammed into the ground with finality.

Back in the cave, two of the three fillies were fearful, the last looking bold. “What now?” Sweetie Belle asked, trying to suppress her tears.

“We'll just have to take Apple Bloom down ourselves.” Scootaloo spoke bravely, met with surprised 'whats' from Sweetie and Silver. “Maybe that's a way to get her back. If we beat her, that thing will leave her alone. Probably.”

“I-I guess that could work.” Sweetie Belle said uncertainly. Silver Spoon kept quiet. “We have to try.” Scootaloo said, jumping on to her scooter and zooming outside, followed by Sweetie Belle. It didn't last long.

While Scootalloo's weaving between her feet clearly messed with Apple Bloom's balance, Apple Bloom eventually began kicking erectly and it didn't take long for Scootaloo to be knocked off of her scooter, just staying conscious enough to watch her beloved scooter be crushed beneath a clawed foot. Sweetie Belle, not knowing what else to do, simply charged with her eyes closed. The lone tackle didn't do much, and she soon joined the others scattered about.

Silver Spoon watched on in horror. Seven adult ponies, including two princesses, and two other fillies had gone up against that thing and it didn't even seem to be breathing hard. So what chance did she have? Apple Bloom would surely rip her to shreds, she couldn't go home, and she would never survive on her own. Silver Spoon was trapped. There was no choice, but she had one idea. She walked out of the cave calmly, being sure to keep her feelings in check.

“Apple Bloom!” she called. The beast looked at her, and her eyes widened with recognition – she knew at once that Apple Bloom recognized her. “I'm sorry!” Apple Bloom grunted and paused.

“Fool!” the pony-looking creature spat from his safe place. “Why are you hesitating. Attack!” On the last word, his eyes flashed green, and the crest on Apple Bloom's head flashed the same green. She threw her head back with a roar and moved toward Silver Spoon, but she filly noticed the hesitation. She stammered a bit as she continued.

“Apple Bloom, I'm sorry!” she repeated, unable to stop the tears in her eyes from falling. “I've felt awful ever since you ran away! I've seen how real friends are with each other! I was wrong, a-and stupid and small-minded!” With each passing moment, the hesitation grew until Apple Bloom actually seemed to be in pain. Silver continued. “Apple Bloom, you're better than this! You're kind, brave, fun, and have more friends than you know.” She paused, unable to think of anything else to say. “This isn't you. I know this isn't how you want to be.”

Apple Bloom swiped at Silver Spoon, sending her flying. A trail of sparkling tears followed the filly and Night Shade laughed, seeing all ponies down. What only Apple Bloom noticed was the tears of regret that fell on her – one directly on her crest.

Night Shade's celebration was cut short as Apple Bloom began thrashing around, snarling and winning, rubbing her crest with her paw. Eventually, Apple Bloom began ramming her head against the rock wall of the cave – anything to stop the burn in her head. It burned so badly and it felt like it was killing her.

“What's wrong with you?” Night Shade asked, sneering at her. “Stop this foolishness and come. It's time for Equestria to fall.”

After a few good rams, the crest broke, and Apple Bloom fell to the ground. Now free of the crest, she reverted back to a filly – her body battered and bruised. Night Shade growled, wondering what happened, when a surge of magic struck him, and unlike Apple Bloom had been, he was not impervious to pony magic.

“Curses!” Night Shade yelled, and disappeared in a puff of black smoke. As the other ponies joined her, they could just make out him swearing that he'll be back – and he'll reign vengeance down on each of their bloodlines.

“On his own, he's pathetically weak.” Luna said, still slightly out of breath. “It's why he needs his pawns.”

“Apple Bloom!” All eyes turned to the injured filly, who cracked open her eyes, surrounded by Applejack, Fluttershy and the three other fillies. “You alright there, sugercube?”

“What did you guys do to me?” Apple Bloom asked and struggled to keep her head before before it dropped like a stone. “Everythin' hurts.”

“Here, Apple Bloom.” Twilight said, coming up the them, and she touched her horn to the exact spot the crest had been. The healing spell engulfed her and after a brief moment of pain, there was a feeling of bliss that was over far too quickly. Apple Bloom, feeling completely rejuvenated, stood up. “Better?”

Apple Bloom nodded as Applejack replaced her hair ribbon back in her hair and her ferret hopped up onto her back and she smiled as he nuzzled her.

“Apple Bloom?” Silver Spoon asked, getting the fillies attention. “I don't know if you heard before, but I'm really sorry. I didn't –” Silver was stopped when Apple Bloom hugged her – she remembered everything Silver had said, and knew she was sincere. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle joined in.

Apple Bloom's heart swelled with joy. Tears of pure happiness weld up in her eyes and slid down her cheeks as she nuzzled Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. Her friends. Her very best friends who she couldn't imagine life without anymore. “I love you guys.” she whispered.

Within the hour, Ponyville saw it's missing members once more, plus Apple Bloom with a new furry friend and Silver Spoon with a new outlook.

To celebrate their safe return, Pinkie decided now was the perfect time to throw an 'Apple Bloom-is-back-safe-and-we-all-really-love-you' party.

Babs with her new cutie mark, a nicely reformed Silver Spoon, Twist, Snips, Snails, Button, Dinky, Rumble, and many others were there. Diamond Tiara sulked in a dark corner looking at Apple Bloom with hate-filled eyes.

Sitting up at the counter, the crusaders all awaited eagerly as Applejack carried over what Apple Bloom recognized as the package she'd picked up at the start of summer. Applejack smiled sheepishly at them. “It was supposed to be for the first day of summer, but I don't see the harm in it bein' for your party instead.”

Inside was a large square cake with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo's faces on it, with 'cutie mark crusaders' written in red icing. The frosting for the edges was red, orange, pink and two shades of purple. The crusaders, being the guests of honor, each got the first slices; moist, fudgy chocolate cake with sweet, sweet icing.

“Apple Bloom, tomorrow is gonna be a full day of nothing but crusading.” Scootaloo promised.

“What about your scooter?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Silver already promised she'd get me a new one – we're going to go look at some after the party.” the young pegasus replied.

“It's gonna be weird having a rich friend.” Sweetie mused.

“And after that, it's back to crusading, right?” Scootaloo asked excitedly.

“Actually, girls.” Apple Bloom said. “I feel like I've gone on enough adventures for a while. Think I'm just gonna relax at home tomorrow.”

Sweetie and Scootalloo smiled. “Whatever you want, bestest of best friends!” Sweetie chirped, and the three fillies hoof-bumped. “Cutie Mark Crusaders day off! Yay!”

Author's Note:

Okay, I started out with lots of awesome ideas for this story, and than I just got less and less interested as they were replaced with new, fresher ideas for other things. Consequentially, it took years to finish up what should have been a quick story. I think I'll make a new rule for myself; all multi-chapter stories shall be completed before I post the first chapter. Think you can handle that...me? Anyway, on to the other one before I forget about it, too. Thanks to my readers, especially those of you who've been here from the start. I apologize that this took so unreasonably long, and I deeply appreciate your patience. Please don't be mad at me...:twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 3 )

I always finish my stories before I post them.:facehoof:

7319836 Hey, mistakes are just learning opportunities, right? :applejackunsure:

What about Diamond Tiara? Any chance of a sequel where Diamond becomes their friend too?

Login or register to comment