• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 854 Views, 6 Comments

How To Save A Life - Madame Hellspawn



Sometimes, life seems to just throw all the worse things at you. Sometimes you want to give up, or those around you want to. But you have to be able to manage and truck through it all. No matter how bad things seem to be.

  • ...
0
 6
 854

What Can I Do?

The glimmering light of the bridge's reflection on the water slowly put your mind at ease, despite what you were about to do. The wagons behind you were tuned out from the thoughts running through your head, though it all seemed worthless now. Everything that happened. It was going to be over soon. You just wanted--no, needed to reflect on life. Just this last time.

You start to stare off into the distance, leaning on the railing. The city looked so beautiful from the bridge. The incessant glow of the lights during the night was always a sight to see. The towers glowed brightly, letting it be known to Equestria that they were the pride of the city. You had to admit that the city was better from far away rather than actually being in its streets, even with all that happened in it.

It was amazing just how much a city could contain. So much hate, so much anger, so much sadness and so on. Because of those things, you needed a way out. There was too much selfishness and too little compassion. Nopony knew you were out here on the Manehattan Bridge, and nopony cared. Not any of your self-proclaimed friends nor the ones who'd made it their mission in life to make yours hell. Maybe your family would if they'd known you were here.

But no one even noticed you were gone from the confines of your home. Why would they? They never cared when you had a problem with the world, so why would they care if you left it?

You take a shaky breath and glared at your distant reflection in the waters below. All that suffering in your life. It would all be in the past. So far behind you. Not a single soul would notice.

You lean further over the railing, the cold metal sending a chill up your spine. You choke on a stray breath when you feel a hind leg slip, almost causing you to complete your objective prematurely. You feel the warmness of a tear as it begins to roll down your cheek. Your breathing becomes shaky again, almost spasmodic, but controllable.

Clinging to the railing with a mix of fear and desperation, you struggle to get yourself over the railing, but successfully did so, using your hooves to cling to the railing. Your grip is tight, and your heartbeat picks up it's pace. Sweat profusely accumulated on your forehead, dampening the fur. You think about your parents. Surely they didn't mean what they said before you left earlier in the morning, did they? What about this bullies? Could it be possible to take another beating, both verbally and physically?

You close your eyes and take a deep breath, your grip on the railing easing little by little, still unsure about your decision.

"You ain't gonna jump are ya?" You recoil, and almost let go of the railing. You turn to see a filly, probably the same age as you. She blew her crimson mane from her eyes and stepped closer.

You tell her to keep her distance, threatening to jump if she came closer, though your shaky voice didn't help solidify the threat.

"Okay, okay," She said slowing herself to a halt. "Why're you...up here?"

You were going to ask her why she cares so much, though you refrain from that initial statement. You tell her how much you have going through your head. How much frustration clouded your mind. How pointless everything seemed. You resent yourself for telling her this. Fear of ridicule crept into your mind, but when she hadn't given an insult, you eased yourself.

"I understand how you feel." She said, taking steps closer to you. "Is there anything in particular makin' you feel like you should do this?"

There's a pause between the two of you for a brief moment. You look back over at the city; where all that hate and resentment lied, waiting for you to come back. You tell her about your parents and what happened when you last saw them. The argument that led to you leaving two hours before school, stuck in the snowy streets outside the school. Then you tell her about your latest run in with the bullies. The way they treated you like dirt. And the way the teachers and bystanders just let it happen. You ease yourself back onto the concrete, letting the filly come closer.

"I know what it's like to have a problem with parents." She paused. "Those bullies....they hit you at all?"

You respond with an embarrassed nod, turning away from her so she couldn't see the tears forming in your eyes. You ask her why she cares so much finally.

"B'cause," She took a more somber tone. "I was where you were once. I know how things may seem, how hard it is, but it ain't worth jumping off. No matter what you think. It ain't worth it."

You tell her that you'd beg to differ. You feel yourself approaching the railing again. Then, her soft hoof stops you, gently pushing you back away from the guards. Her touch was warm, and you could feel the compassion resonating from her hooves and stare.

"Don't say that." She says, her voice trailing off. There's a pause between you two, the wind carrying out the sounds of water and the chariots behind you.

"I'm Babs by the way." She finally introduced. You give your own, finally looking Babs in the emerald eyes. She smiles at you, gesturing you to follow her.

"It's time for dinner. My sister's makin' it tonight. Wanna come?"

You nod, following closely beside her. You look back at the waters, then at Babs. She spoke about how she loved to come to the bridge to clear her mind. You wipe a warm tear from your eye, and sniffed, gaining her attention.

"You alright?"

You tell her that you're fine. Before Babs turned around, you wrap your hooves around her, your tears catching onto her mane. You thank her for all she's done, crying as she returns the hug, her warmth enveloping you.

"C'mon," Babs said, one hoof around your shoulder. "Let's get somewhere warm before we freeze out here."

Author's Note:

I wanted to try something different, so forgive me if this isn't as good as my other story. I was also thinking about continuing this, but I'll leave that for you to decide. Hope you liked it anyway!

Comments ( 5 )

Sorry, but necessary joke is necessary.

Good fic, by the way.

3951097 Thanks:twilightsmile: I never really thought about that song when I named this.:derpytongue2:

Good fic.

Pretty solid for a one-shot. I'm not trying to force anything on you, but making it into a full-on, multi-chapter story is sounding like a good idea.

Login or register to comment