• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 859 Views, 16 Comments

The Lost Cousin - caveman0803



Meet Apple Risotto. He moves to ponyville and meets the family he never knew he had.

  • ...
3
 16
 859

Ch 7

Pinkie Pie was hopping back to Ponyville to speak with Mayor Mare about getting the land approved for the party in the coming month. As she was bouncing through town, Pinkie was flashing her trademark smile and waving to all the ponies she knew, which was everypony in town and admiring the beautiful day that the weather ponies had graced them with. While she was admiring the day a thought occurred to her.

I should probably talk to Rainbow Dash again about scheduling the perfect weather for the week that the festival is going on. That way the wonderbolts don’t have to worry about the weather and everypony can enjoy it to it’s fullest.” Pinkie thought to herself.

On her way to city hall she saw Twilight going there as well. Seeing her friend Pinkie immediately went into Pinkie Surprise mode and tackled Twilight.

“Hi Twilight!” Pinkie said with her usual chipperness.

“Hi Pinkie.” Twilight deadpanned. “Can you get off of me please?”

“Oh.” Pinkie giggled “Sorry Twilight, I got so excited cause I saw you going to city hall too and then I realized that we could go together and be City Hall buddies.”

Before PInkie could continue her rant Twilight placed her hoof in Pinkies mouth. Seeing the hoof in her mouth Pinkie giggled.

“Now Pinkie, i’m going to ask you, why are you going to city hall?” Twilight asked

Before Pinkie decided to answer she put on a pair of glasses and a bow tie and began talking in a British accent. “Well Twilight, I have finished my recent scouting around Sweet Apple Acres when I happened upon it’s delightful owner and her kin. We began speaking about the upcoming soiree and they assisted me in figuring out the living arrangements for the different ponies coming to our fair town. The new pony in town came up with a rather intelligent answer for myself and after discussing said problem with the apple kin I rushed here to the hall of the town to discuss this with the Mayor.” Pinkie said.

She took off her glasses and bow tie and looked at Twilight with her trademark grin. Twilight looked at Pinkie with her mouth hanging open. She closed her mouth and realized that it’s just Pinkie being Pinkie. She giggled at her friends antics and rolled her eyes.

“So you’re saying that you went to Sweet Apple Acres and talked to Applejack and her cousin and they helped you figure out a factor for your “soiree” and you didn’t get tongue tied or anything?” Twilight asked

Pinkie blushed “Weeeeeell it was really hard to keep my composure when I talked to him but yes. Yes I did.” she said.

“Well thats good.” Twilight said “So i’m assuming you’re here to get the permits for the party than?”

“Yepper doodle doo.” Pinkie replied grinning.”I figured now would be the best time since the party will start on June 13th and that is exactly 31 days and 12 hours away.”

“Well then why don’t we go together and we’ll both talk to the mayor about it. I need to talk to the Mayor about some business anyways.” Twilight said.

“Sounds like fun.” Pinkie said ecstatically. “I’ll be sure to leave when you talk business with Mayor Mare.”

They started towards city hall again so Pinkie can get the permits for the festival. While they were walking, a question came to Pinkie’s mind.

“Hey Twilight. Did you ever ask the Princesses and your brother if they’re gonna come to the festival?” Pinkie asked.

Twilight smiled. “I did indeed.” she said “I sent them a letter this morning right after we finished talking. I’m just waiting for a reply from them.”

Pinkie smiled her trademark grin. She just knew that the Princesses and Shining Armor would agree to this. They reached the front door of city hall and were about to enter, when Twilight heard somepony (or some dragon) calling her name.

“Twilight!” Spike called

Pinkie and Twilight turned around to see said dragon running towards them. He finally managed to catch up to them, but he had to wait a minute while he caught his breath.

“Easy spike, in and out.” Twilight cooed.

Spike managed to catch his breath and began speaking. “I got replies from the Princesses.” Spike said.

“From all of them?” Twilight asked “That was fast.”

“Yeap.” Spike replied “They said they’d love to attend Pinkies festival and they would be more than happy to advertise it for you.”

“Oh my gosh!” Pinkie exclaimed “That is super duper awesome! This will be so awesome that we’ll end up doing it every year and it’ll be a tradition for all of Equestria!”

Pinkie finished her rant with a great big smile. Spike and Twilight looked at each other and returned Pinkies smile. They turned around and walked into town hall, so they could speak to the mayor about getting the permits for the End Of Spring Festival.


A few hours later

Apple Risotto was trudging slowly through Ponyville, with his saddlebags on, towards city hall. He realized that he needed to find a house for rent and left the farm early. It was now late afternoon which seemed like the perfect time to take care of this. As he trudged towards city hall he decided to take this opportunity to take in the sites. He looked around at the small town and realized a small smile appearing on his face. It was a quaint little town full of energy, with ponies going to and from various locations. He continued looking when all of a sudden he realized a very important fact; he was laying on the ground. He got back on his hooves and looked around to see what he ran into and noticed a yellow mare with a light pink mane laying on the ground.

“Oh my gosh I am so so sorry miss!” Risotto exclaimed. He went over to the mare to help her up and she graciously obliged.

"Oh it's alright. I should've been paying more attention." The mare replied.

"You and me both." Risotto said "I'm sorry where are my manners. I'm Apple Risotto."

He held out his hoof so he could show her that he didn’t mean her any harm. She returned the hoofshake with a small smile on her face.

“It’s nice to meet you Apple Risotto my name is Fluttershy.” She replied.

“Likewise Fluttershy. Again I apologize for running into to you so carelessly, so I’d like to make it up to you.” Risotto said.

“Thats nice of you to offer but I have to say no, at least not right now because I’m going to meet a friend at her shop.” Fluttershy said.

“Why don’t I escort you then?” Risotto asked. “I still feel bad for knocking you over the way I did. It’s the least I can do.”

Fluttershy thought about it for a minute. “I suppose I could take him up on his offer. He does seem like a nice pony and Rainbow has been telling me to be a bit more social.”

Fluttershy looked at Apple Risotto and smiled.

“Sure, I wouldn’t mind if you escorted me.” Fluttershy said.

“Sounds great. Lead on.” Risotto said

So Fluttershy began leading them to her destination. After a few minutes of walking Risotto realized just how quiet it was and decided to try and break the ice with the quiet mare.

“So who are you going to visit?” Risotto asked

This startled Fluttershy since she wasn’t expecting to actually talk to anyone until she got to her friends.

“Oh..ummm…her name is Rarity and she owns local dress boutique.” Fluttershy answered.

“Rarity.” Risotto pondered the name for a moment. “Actually, I think I have heard that name before.”

“Oh really?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yea. I knew a few people in school who were part of the “it” crowd and they were talking about an up and coming fashion designer from Ponyville named Rarity.” Risotto said “I never really got into fashion, so I couldn’t tell one ponies design from another.”

“Oh I see.” Fluttershy said “Well I’m sure Rarity would be happy to hear that her name is getting around in Canterlot.”

“I’m sure.” Risotto said

They continued walking for another couple minutes in silence. That is until Fluttershy decided to break the silence this time.

“So...ummm...Apple Risotto. How long have you been in Ponyville?” Fluttershy asked.

“I just got here today actually and please just Risotto.” Risotto answered. “It’s been one hell of a day though, let me tell you.”

“Oh? How so?” Fluttershy asked “If you don’t mind telling me that is.”

“Nah, I don’t mind at all Fluttershy.” Risotto answered.

So Apple Risotto began telling Fluttershy about what happened after he stepped hoof off of the train that morning. He told her about how he came to Ponyville from Canterlot after finishing Culinary school and how he found out that his family was a lot larger than he originally thought.

After he began telling Fluttershy his story, they caught the attention of a certain white unicorn and she began following them. She was going to announce her presence but she realized that the green pegasus was busy telling a story and she didn’t want to interrupt. So she decided to listen in and once he was finished then she’d announce herself.

“So after I finished helping out at the farm I came back into town to look for town hall and I ran into you. Literally.” Risotto finished.

Fluttershy was going to say something but that was when Rarity decided to interject.

"That was a lovely story darling." Rarity said out loud.

Rarity's statement startled the two pegasi and caused Fluttershy to hide behind Risotto. She looked out from behind her green barrier and saw her friend looking guilty.

"Oh I do apologize darling I didn't mean to startle you." Rarity said.

"It's OK Rarity." Fluttershy said "what were you doing there? I thought you wanted me to come by?"

"I do darling, I just needed to step out and get a few things." Rarity said

"Oh OK." Fluttershy said

Rarity turned her attention to the green pegasus watching her and Fluttershy chat. She was eager to know the mysterious pegasus who not only was able to carry a conversation with Fluttershy but also claimed relations with Applejack.

"Hello, it is nice to meet you. I'm Rarity." She said

"It's nice to meet you Rarity. I'm Apple Risotto but you can just call me Risotto." He said.

"So how long have you been in town?" Rarity asked

"Just today. I was on my way to town hall when I ran into Fluttershy." Risotto answered

"Well you've accomplished quite a lot of you managed to get Fluttershy to come out of her shell." Rarity said

Risotto didn't get a chance to answer. He was interrupted by a loud gasp coming from the purple maned unicorn.

"Oh. My. Goodness. What happened to your jacket?" Rarity demanded.

"What? this old thing?" Risotto asked pointing at his jacket. "I work in a kitchen, so sometimes things spill, and I haven't been able to get a new one."

Out of nowhere Risotto was lifted into the air without the help of his wings. He noticed a light blue aura surrounding himself And Rarity's horn.

"You will not be trotting around in that atrocity if I have anything to say about it!" Rarity declared

With that said Rarity ran off to her boutique with a concerned Fluttershy and a confused Risotto in tow.
_______________
A few minutes later Risotto found himself standing on a pedestal in the middle of what he assumed was a work room in some kind of clothing shop. Rarity walked into another room and came back with a measuring tape.

It was at this point that Risotto finally found his voice and decided to ask Rarity what it is she intended to do.

“What’re you planning to do Rarity?” He asked.

“Why, i’m getting your measurements darling.” Rarity said matter-of-factly “What else would I be doing?”

“Measurements for what?” Risotto asked, paying no attention to Rarity’s question.

“Your jacket.” Rarity answered.

“I could always just give you what size I am.” Risotto said “Last I check I was a medium.”

“No, that won’t due.” Rarity said. “The jacket will fit better on you if I hoof make it to your exact dimensions.”

“I suppose that makes sense.” Risotto said.

“Trust me Darling. If you custom fit a wardrobe for somepony than it’ll fit to their dimensions better than if you were to buy a jacket off the rack.” Rarity said. “So please take that filthy old thing and your saddlebags off please.

Risotto obeyed and took off his jacket and saddlebags and set them off to the side. Rarity began taking Risotto’s measurements, and while she was doing this Fluttershy was watching quietly. After a few minutes of silent waiting, Rarity finished gathering what she needed.

“Alright, now that I have the necessary measurements, I can proceed to work on the jacket.” Rarity said.

“How much do I owe you Rarity?” Risotto asked.

“Consider it a gift darling.” Rarity said “A welcome to ponyville gift, you could say.”

She turned to head to her sewing room, but before she could move a hoof a loud gurgling noice came from Rarity’s stomach, eliciting a large blush from the white unicorn.

This gave Risotto an idea. “Rarity, I can’t allow you to make me a jacket without paying you back somehow. So how about this: In exchange for you making me a jacket, I’ll cook you and fluttershy a nice lunch. Does that sound like an even trade?” Risotto asked

However, before Rarity could answer, they heard a loud crash come from the main doorway.

“Oh joy.” Rarity deadpanned. “Sweetie Belle is home.”

As if on queue, Sweetie Belle appeared before her sister along with Applebloom and Scootaloo. They all began talking at the same time and Rarity lifted her hoof, signalling that they need to quiet down.

“Now” Rarity began “What can I do for you, Sweetie Belle.”

“Can we borrow the gems that you don’t need anymore?” Sweetie Belle asked. “We want to try and get our cutie marks in making jewelry today.”

Before Rarity can answer her sister, Applebloom notices her cousin standing on the pedestal and rushes over to him.

“Hiya cousin Risotto. What’re ya’ll doin here?” Applebloom asked.

“Hi Applebloom.” Risotto said. “Well, Rarity asked me to come by because she wanted to make me a new jacket.”

Just as Applebloom was about to answer, her stomach signalled that it needed nourishment as well.

“Oh yea. I haven eatin all day.” Applebloom said. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo both nodded their agreement.

Risotto chuckled at the three little fillies. “You know Rarity, I think we might have to add a few more guests. What do you think?”

“I think, that that is a splendid idea.” Rarity answered. “Follow me.”

Risotto hopped off of the pedestal and followed Rarity into her kitchen.

“Here we are.” Rarity said as they entered the kitchen “It may not be as well equiped as what you’re used to, but i’m sure it’ll be enough.”

“It’s fine Rarity.” Risotto said “Unlike some Canterlot chef’s; I don’t need anything fancy to make something fancy. As a matter of fact, I prefer working in a home kitchen because I feel more comfortable.”

“Sounds good Darling.” Rarity said. “I’m going to go and work on your jacket. Tata.”

After showing Risotto the kitchen, Rarity left to continue her work, so Risotto decided to look around and see what was in Rarity’s kitchen.

First: The Pantry. Risotto opened up Rarity’s pantry and immediately saw something he wanted to use.

“Wow, she has arborio rice. That’s something you don’t normally see in a home kitchen.” Risotto said to himself.

Next, he grabbed an onion that he saw, peppercorns, and closed the pantry.

I need a nice white wine. I wonder if Rarity has any?” Risotto said to himself.

“Sweetie Belle! Applebloom! Scootaloo!” Risotto Called out.

Almost immediately, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were waiting in the kitchen.

“You rang?” Applebloom asked.

“I did.” Risotto replied. “Sweetie Belle, can you ask your sister where she keeps her white wine?”

“Sure thing.” Sweetie Belle replied. She ran off as quickly as she had appeared.

“Applebloom, I need you and Scootaloo to head to the market and get me six Fuji Apples and a stalk of celery.” Risotto said. “Go into my bag and grab the bits you’ll need for them.”

“Yes sir.” Applebloom and Scootaloo said. They saluted and ran off to get the necessary ingredients.

Next: The fridge.

Risotto went to the fridge to see what was in there.

“Lets see. I see butter, thats good, and carrots. I also see garlic, All I need now is the celery, apples and wine and i’ll be good to go.” Risotto said.

Risotto closed the fridge and began looking for a cutting board, the needed pots and pans, a wooden spoon, and a ladle. After finding the equipment that he needed, Risotto went out to his bag, pulled out his knife bag and returned to the kitchen. He opened his bag and pulled out his trusty 10” chef’s knife. He held it firmly in his hoof and began dicing his onion.

First: He cut the onion in half and peeled it. Next, he cut one end off of the onion and began cutting it vertically. Then, he began slicing horizontally, going from the top of the onion to the bottom.

At this point, Sweetie Belle had returned with the white wine and decided to sit and watch Risotto. He continued his prep by quartering the other onion half, filling his stockpot with water and setting it on the stove,slicing the carrot, and breaking open a head of garlic and halving the individual cloves.

Applebloom and Scootaloo returned with the missing ingredients and joined Sweetie Belle.

Risotto took five of the apples, quartered and cored the apples, and put them into the boiling water along with the garlic, parsley, peppercorns, carrots, and a bayleaf. Next, he took the leftover apple and halved it. He proceeded to core the apple and mimic the way he diced the onion and chopped up the celery. Then he put the skillet on the heat and threw in the stick of butter to melt.

“Umm, Risotto?” Sweetie asked “What are you making?”

Risotto chuckled to himself. “Well Sweetie Belle, i’m making Apple Risotto.”

“What's that?” Applebloom asked.

“It’s an Istallion rice dish.” Risotto answered. “normally it’s not made with apples but I decided to make my own spin on it. Not only that but it is my namesake after all.”

“Oh, ok.” Sweetie Belle answered.

With the butter melted, Risotto threw his apples, onions, and celery into the melted butter and began sauteing them. Once they were satisfactory he added in two and a half cups of the rice and began coating it in butter. After he did that he took a spider (a small strainer with a long handle) and fished out the chunks of stuff out of his stock. He grabbed his pot and poured in the stock until it covered the rice and began stirring the risotto. Once the stock was reduced and the rice could support itself, he added in another ladle full of stock. He added in a bit of the wine with the additional stock and continued the process. He took a spoon and tasted the risotto to see if it was cooked enough. Satisfied, he took it off of the heat.

“Sweetie Belle.” Risotto said. “Can you get 5 bowls please?”

“Ok!” Sweetie Belle replied.

Sweetie Belle rushed to the cupboard and set the bowls and spoons on the counter next to Risotto. He took the ladle and placed the Risotto in their respective bowls.

“Alright girls.” Risotto began “I need you to take these bowls into the dining room and let the ladies know that lunch is served."

So one by one Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo brought out the bowls of risotto while Apple Risotto set the table. With the table set and the bowls placed, Sweetie Belle ran to get her sister and Fluttershy.

Once Sweetie Belle returned with her sister and Fluttershy, she proceeded to sit next to her friends while Rarity and Fluttershy sat opposite them.

"Oh my this smells lovely" Rarity observed as she allowed the aroma to drift into her nose.

As they were about to dig into their lunch a thought occurred to Rarity. “Has anyone seen the chef that cooked this delectable meal?” Rarity asked.

“Umm i’m not sure.” Fluttershy replied “I was just wondering that myself. Girls do you know where he is?”

“I think he’s in the kitchen doing dishes.” Sweetie Belle said “He said to go ahead and eat while he cleans up.”

"Absolutely not!" Rarity declared. "No guest of mine is going to clean dishes after they were kind enough to cook for us." Rarity then stormed off into the kitchen looking for the renegade pegasus pony.

Author's Note:

I apologize if this is grammatically hideous. If you see anything let me know and i'll fix it. Hope you enjoy.

Comments ( 3 )

Huzzah for an update!

Why is this on hiatus?

6584332
Because I can't update it regularly like I want. This is the first chapter I've posted in months. I'm hoping to take it off hiatus soon though.

Login or register to comment