• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 394 Views, 8 Comments

Through the Streamline - NLRscout



Struggling to stay afloat in a sea of uncertainty, you keep your memories close to you. After everything, they're the only thing that stayed.

  • ...
 8
 394

Chapter 3

You attempted to sleep, but it didn't come peacefully. Tossing and turning in moral turmoil. What Applejack had said, still fresh on your mind, despite it being more than half a day. You'd spent most of it pouting about self righteousness and stewing in your anger. Even with his angry you were, you could feel the hurt and anger in AJ's voice. You weren't what most ponies would consider considerate, but you felt like she somehow knew about what you went through.

Hours had passed and you were asleep in your bed. The gentle pitter patter on the caravan's roof signaled rain. The deep but subtle rumbling farther away said it was far from over, and acted almost as a lullaby. The purple and blue blanket that clung to your sleeping figure, cascaded off of the bed and met the floor in a heap. Drip.... Drip.... Drip.... the constant sound of stray water entering your abode was matched by your breathing. Tossing a little in your bed, the cover falls off and lands in the small puddle of water that has collected at the edge of your bed.

Shivering, you wake up. Its dark outside still from what you can see. You sit up and look around for your blanket, and notice it in a pile on the ground, soaked in water. The sounds outside still indicating it's raining and probably not going to stop soon, you sigh and get up. Illuminating your horn to light the way, you walk to your closet across the small room. Opening the door, you see you have no extra blankets. Growling out of frustration, you walk back to your bed and lay down. Tonight is going to be a cold one.

The chirps of the birds outside alert you that its now morning. Opening your eyes slightly at first, to help them adjust to the brightness, you notice a migraine starting. You groan and notice how dry your throat is, begging for a drink. You oblige and walk outside to the spiket attached to the outside of your caravan. After getting a drink, your migraine subsides to a pounding headache and your dry throat goes away. Walking back inside, nausea hits you like a ton of bricks, and you get motion sickness from just standing. Needless to say, what happened next was anything but pretty.

Working on the road alone had taught you a great deal of things on how to take care of yourself, but a cold wasn't something that could just be ignored or willed away. Every other time this had happened, you had just waited it out, but it was clear that wouldn't work this time. A day had passed and your condition did nothing to improve, in fact, it worsened. Instead of just a regular old cold, it was pneumonia. You went to the doctor earlier and he diagnosed you. He said that it wouldn't go away on its own and had to be treated. Not having any money to pay for the medication, you hoped he was wrong.

Author's Note:

Hello people! Long time no update huh? Well here ya go! Its just kind of a precursor to the next chapter which will hopefully be done this weekend. So thanks for reading! Leave a like, comment and/or favorite this to tell me what you think! I'll also read any P.M.s I get so feel free to message me there too!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment