• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 393 Views, 8 Comments

Through the Streamline - NLRscout



Struggling to stay afloat in a sea of uncertainty, you keep your memories close to you. After everything, they're the only thing that stayed.

  • ...
 8
 393

Chapter 1

Your day starts with the same routine. Wake up, take a bath, eat, and then hitch to your cairage. You do so and start moving. Your life up until today had been at a stalemate for the past couple years. Same thing, different day, as the saying went. Go to a town, do a show, earn some bits, leave to the next town and repeat. It was going smoothly, until you visited ponyville and that accursed Twilight Sparkle had to show you up and ruin your reputation as a magician, which was something you held dearly.

After the ponyville debacle, less and less ponies had come to your shows and you had been making less money then the small wages you had before. If your growling stomach had anything to say about it, it would prove that you were getting less than you needed. But you were much to proud to admit that. Pride aside, the last two shows had shown no money inflow which meant you couldn't eat. The situation was about to come to a head if the letter you were about to receive had anything to say about it.

You kept trotting towards your next destination, Appleloosa. A messenger trotted up next to you and holds out a piece of parchment.

"Message for Mrs. Lulamoon?" He asks as you nod and take the parchment in your magics hold. He nods to you and turns the opposite direction. You stop trotting and untie the piece of string neatly tied to it. Unfolding the parchment reveils bold lettering and looks like it was written by a type writer. Across the top read, To Trixie Lulamoon. The rest of the letter read as one written by an institution. About your father, who had long been a patient of the senior center this letter was from. It was a letter to inform you that his condition had worsened and that they had done all they could but it wasn't enough. Included in the letter was a copy of his death certificate.

Words failed you. Instead, you just sat there on the ground, silent tears streaming down your face as you tryed to come to terms with the information you had just been given. You dropped the parchment and watched it float to the ground and land in the puddle your tears had made. "This can't be happening..." You were shocked. You and your father had slowly drifted away after the death of your mother and with no siblings to speak of, you had little to no interaction with family. The fact that you were some what astranged from your father didn't lessen the impact the news had on you. You held the certificate of his passing in your hooves. Reading it over and over hoping to see some flaw, so that this might be a joke, but none were there.

------------------------------------

There had been dark days in your past, and they had come to pass. As would this with time, but for now, nothing could drown your sorrows. Except for the bottom of the bottle. You trudged along until you reached the next town and headed for the first bar you saw. 'Barry Punch's Brewery'. You walked inside after hitching your cairage to a post outside. Walking straight for the main bar, you motion for the attention of the bar keep and ask her for the stoutest drink she has in stock. Its some Apple Jack Daniels. You tell her to just leave the bottle.

Down, down went the liquor. With every drink, you felt yourself becoming more and more drunk. The numbing effect the alcohol had was to your satisfaction and was doing its job of helping you forget the horrid day you have had. Soon enough you were intoxicated enough to be numb of the situation at hand. Everyone else at the bar was enjoying themselves and you loathed them for it. It had been so long since the last time you had actually enjoyed yourself, that you were sure you had forgotten the feeling of happiness. You start to feel light headed and you know what is going to happen next. Rushing to the nearest garbage can, you heave and vomit the bitter liquid that you had drank just a short time ago, bit nothing else considering you haven't eaten in over a week. You stumble back to the bar and order another bottle of the putrid liquor. The bar keep obliges and brings you another bottle. Within ten minutes, that bottle is gone as well.

Stumbling out of the bar, you realise it was dark now, most of your day being spent drinking your problems away. For the most part it actually worked if the dumb smile and numbness had anything to say about it. You walked around to the post you tied your wagon to and untied it. Hitching it to yourself, you started your trek to the outskirts of town to make your camp. Upon arriving at what you deemed an appropriate place to stay for the night, you unhitched yourself, tied it to a tree, and climbed inside to rest for the rest of the night. Not for the first time, you cried yourself to sleep.

The next morning arrived by the way of the sun streaming through your curtains, directly into your eyes. You moved your hoof in front of your eyes to halt the onslaught brought upon you by the infuriating suns blinding rays. It was in vain, you were already awake and once you were awake, you were awake. Turning over, you rolled onto your hooves. Your head was pounding like somepony was hitting you in the head with a hammer and you had the worst taste in your mouth. You walked to the small ice box you had in your wagon and opened it up to the familiar sight of nothing. With a heavy sigh, you moved toward the door in your small caravan. Opening the door, you walked out into the fresh air. The blooming flowers of all colors and the rolling hills of green made for a gorgeous sight. Not to mention all of the apple trees lining the hills in all directions. You walked to the front of your wagon and started untying the knot you had put in the hitch string to prevent it from moving in the middle of the night. As you were in the middle of that process, something fell from the tree above you and hit you on the top of the head.

"Ow! What the hay was that?" You exclaimed at the tree. You looked back down to see the assailant. A ripe and delicious looking red apple. Not even damaged from the fall. Deciding that this fruit owed you for assaulting you, you picked it up in your magic. You rubbed the dirt off on your coat before taking a bite out of it. The taste was almost overwhelming. The way an orchard smells is how this tasted, even the freshest apples you had ever had couldn't compare to this work of natures art. Enjoying the fruit immensely, you failed to notice the pony walking up behind you.

" 'Scuse me? Just what the hay do ya think yer doin' in mah orchard?!"

Author's Note:

First attempt at a story like this. Lemme know whatcha think ^_^