• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 292 Views, 0 Comments

My First Days in Ponyville - OrangeRiff



Orange Riff had an interesting life so far, traveling around Equstria, but as he wants to find a quiet place to rest for a while, he takes his way to Ponyville...

  • ...
 0
 292

Day 2

Day 2

I was woken by the alarm clock at 8 o’clock, in the morning. I was planning on going for a longer walk to see the surroundings of the town, as Davenport told me, the store won’t be open today. He was planning on going to the Summer Sun Celebration with some friends.
I set off the alarm, got out of bed, and walked to the small window on the northern side of the room.
I looked at the sky for a few minutes, because I felt, that something was off with it, I just couldn’t figure out what exactly.
I turned away and went downstairs to have breakfast, and to speak a few words with my delightful host. As I set hoof in the kitchen I noticed an unfamiliar mare staring outside at the sky.
I greeted her, and asked if she was the pony called Bon-Bon, who Lyra mentioned to me.
“Huh? Yes... Well, actually, my name is Sweetie Drops, but everyone calls me Bon-Bon. You must be our new tenant.“
I nod in response, and asked if she spoke to Lyra about my moving in.
“Yes, she mentioned something among the lines of finding a nice-looking colt wandering around town, searching for shelter, but if you’re looking for Lyra, I have to disappoint you. She already left for Canterlot, early in the morning.“
As she spoke, she still had her eyes glued at the sky, so I decided to see for myself what she was so fixated on.
I stepped up to the window next to Bon-Bon, and as I laid eyes on the anomaly in front of my eyes, my first thoughts were, that I was still dreaming.
The Sun and the Moon were both sitting on the sky, as the usual cerulean color got switched with a transition of colors, ranged from blue, through violet, into black. While the sunny side was stained with puffs of dark clouds, the darkness was spotted with the bright shining stars of the night sky.
I rushed to the front door and stepped outside, so I could see more clearly, how the two most influential celestial bodies decided to share their domain.
I wasn’t the only one watching. There were many other ponies on the streets, most of them quietly watching on, while others gossiped about their theories involving this unusual phenomenon.
Some of them were thinking, this was just a show put up by the royal sisters, but others were afraid, that maybe this signaled the return of Nightmare Moon once again, just like what happened last year.
That was when the first screams hit my ears.
They came from down the street, not so far from where I was standing. I looked in the direction they came from, like many others did, but I couldn’t see who started screaming, or what happened.
A few ponies trot off to see if they could be of any help, but only seconds later, they came running back, with long, black, tentacle-like things pursuing them.
They looked like vines of some plant, with sharp thorns all over them, and with the speed of a stud.
As everypony saw what was coming, they started to run in the opposite direction. I tried to get back in the house, but I got swept away by them.
We ran only for a minute or two, as the same kind of dark vines erupted from underneath the fleeing crowd, blocking the way and tangling up everypony they caught.
The ponies, with no chance to get past the wall of thorns ahead or behind them, rushed into the nearest houses, to the surprise of the unsuspecting families inside, and quickly locked the doors behind them.
I decided to run through a nearby alley, between two houses, and thanks to my great luck, no weeds decided to follow me.
As I got out on a parallel street, I looked around for a place to hide. I saw an open window on the second floor of a nearby house, and decided to go for it.
I looked up at the sky and saw a blue pegasus pony with rainbow colored main fighting the dark clouds I saw earlier, only now they were armed with the same spikes as the weeds, and shooting lightning on anything that went near them.
With these clouds around flying up to the window looked more dangerous, but as I saw no other options, I went for a try.
As I took of with full speed towards the building, I saw from the corner of my left eye, that the little orange filly, who almost ran me over yesterday got trapped by one of the weeds. I looked around for a makeshift weapon, and saw a small spud, in the front garden of a house.
I made quick turn to the left, ducked down to grab the tool, and rushed to the aid of the filly.
I went in with speed high enough, that the slash I sent at the vine managed to tear it off, but as the spud also broke, I no longer had a weapon.
I grabbed the filly and bolted for the window with a bunch of weeds in our tail.
I don’t know who was looking after us, but we managed to get inside, and lock the window.
We were safe, inside the bedroom of a stranger.
This stranger was most probably a filly, not much older than the little orange speedster, covering in fear under the bed, as the walls were decorated with a lot of posters of pony musicians, and TV shows, like My Little Human.
I told the little one that she can come out now, but she only shook her head, and stayed put in her safe place. I then told her that I’ll be back soon, and went out of the room to look around, and to see if anypony was home.
It turned out, that the two of us were the only ponies in the house. I found a letter of invitation from most probably a relative of the residents, so it seems they went for a visit. Lucky bastards.
I also found out, that their fridge was stacked with food, so I decided to make up for the missed breakfast, and made some sandwiches for myself and the filly.
I took the food upstairs only to find, that she came out from under the bed, and climbed up on top of it, to fall fast asleep, probably because of the shock.
I put her plate down on the small drawer next to the bed, and sat down by the window to watch the street front for any sign trouble.
I must say I was never really good at keeping watch.
I fell asleep as well, and when I came to the clock on the wall was telling me, it was 5 in the afternoon. While I was asleep the filly must have woken up, as her food was gone, and she was curled up, sleeping in my lap, while using one of my wings as a blanket. I couldn’t help but smile at how adorable she was, snoozing quietly with no care for the world. I just sat there, watching over her dream, for at least another hour, as I didn’t want to wake her.
When she finally came to my body was hurting all over, as I wasn’t allowed to move.
She looked up at me, and in a few seconds went from orange to deep red, as a ripe apple.
She rushed out of the room and when she came back, her first words were, that she’s going to kick my butt, if I tell about this, to anypony.
I agreed of course, and we started to talk.
She introduced herself as Scootaloo, and told me about her adventures with her friends, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, a club of young fillies who were searching for their talents.
I also told her about my adventures around Equestria, and how I ended up here, in Ponyville.
We were talking for so long we didn’t even realise that the sky outside returned to normal, and in fact it was night time already. She was the one, who noticed, the light coming into the room was different than before.
We looked out the window only to find, that the Sun was gone from the sky, and that the dark weeds have also vanished from the streets. There was no sign of the spiked clouds either.
I opened the window and flew a quick round outside to see if the coast was really clear, then waved to Scootaloo to follow me. It was then I learned about her being unable to fly.
I apologized, she said it was okay, and we didn’t mention it afterwards.
I escorted her home, which turned out to be really close to Quills & Sofas, and after saying goodbye, I went back to Lyra’s and Bon-Bon’s place.
Lyra was still at Canterlot, so I had a long talk with her roommate, about what happened.
It turned out, that the hostile fauna came from the Everfree Forest, and as quickly they appeared, they were gone in the same manner. Those who saw, told everypony that they were turned into dust by some rainbow colored waves.
Thankfully, only a hooffull of ponies were injured during the events, and the damage to the town wasn’t too severe. It took only a few days to repair everything.
The phenomenon involving the Sun and the Moon was later published in the newspapers. It was explained, as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were abducted by the dark plants, the two celestial bodies were thrown out of cycle with nopony to guide them on their route. But with the weeds gone, the two princesses returned and restored order.
And life went on like usual...

Author's Note:

[note] I tried to find out who to reference with My Little Human, as it is mentioned in the text, but as I couldn't find the data, I just decided to write this here.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment