• Published 23rd Jan 2014
  • 585 Views, 2 Comments

Flying with the Moon - Silent Strider

  • ...
1
 2
 585

Epilogue

Celestia raised the sun, basking on it's rays. No matter how many centuries passed it was always enjoyable, a moment to forget the pressure of ruling a kingdom.

Stepping out of the balcony Celestia noticed a dark shape gliding down to the garden. She immediately recognized her sister Luna, but there was something wrong; Luna's ears were flushed against her head, her face a sad frown, her wings lifeless.

Quietly gliding after her sister, Celestia touched the ground at Luna's side. “What ails you, sister of mine?”

Luna cast her eyes down, her face pensive, for a few moments before telling the waking dream she had last night. As she told her tale she straightened up, joy touching her eyes -

Until the nightmare. Luna looked at her sister as a tear streamed. “You know this one as well as I, sister. I dreamed about how I almost killed you when I first became Nightmare Moon.”

“It was just a dream, Luna. That is not your true self; there is no reason for concern.”

“You know better than that, Tia.” Luna looked away. “The same way I can change dreams, dreams can change me. A few nightmares are not enough to change me back into that monster, but it's not something I can take lightly.”

“Is there any way for me to help?”

“I don't think so, sister. The power to calm dreams is mine alone, and I couldn't give up that memory even if you could take it away; the pain and shame are mine to bear, a grim reminder of why I must never again let the nightmare take hold on my heart.”

As Celestia thought about her sister's weary heart, a hopeful smile crept up. She gently touched Luna's face, raising it so the sisters could look into each others eyes. “Perhaps your answer is not in losing memories, but in making new ones. Wait here, Luna; I will be back soon.”


Luna watched her sister leave and let her gaze fall again.

It was good to have a sister like Celestia, but what could she do? What did she mean by making -

Luna yelped in surprise as she was hit repeatedly by multiple white, fluffy things, the last one knocking down her crown, which was promptly caught in Celestia's magic and returned to it's rightful owner.

Her moping demeanor forgotten, Luna gave Celestia an annoyed glance. “What kind of madness is this?”

Luna's eyes widened as she recognized Celestia, lazily staying afloat, six white... things... whirling around her.

Anger now touched Luna's voice. “Are you out of your mind? Is it your desire to rub my nightmare in my face?”

Celestia's voice was composed, but betrayed a hint of sadness. “No, my sister. But I would be glad if, the next time this dreadful memory rears it's ugly head, you could think instead of your silly sister engaging you in a pillow fight.”

Pillows! Luna forced her face to assume a bemused semblance as her sister kept talking. Just a bit more...

“And you said yourself earlier. This nightmare haunts me the same as you, for it's the same day I – Kyah!”

A pair of pillows hit Celestia from behind, dislodging her crown, which was immediately engulfed in Luna's magic. “Ha ha, revenge is served! Now that we are even, were you talking about a pillow fight? How about making it a game? One point for taking the other's crown, first to three points win, only weapon allowed are pillows?”

Celestia raised an eyebrow as her crown was returned. “And whoever loses has to apologize to the guards for taking their pillows and purchase them new ones.”

Luna was already jumping into the air, her own six pillows whirling around her in a blur. “Done. Now prepare yourself!”

That day the castle guards and servants were witness to a very rare spectacle: a mock fight that only those with both horn and wing could duplicate, by two beings that were already good fliers when the country itself was young. The fight only ended when both princesses fell to the grass, giggling madly with joy and the sheer absurdity of a royal pillow fight.

Author's Note:

Feel free to point flaws, errors, or to make suggestions; I'm here to learn.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment