• Published 6th Feb 2014
  • 1,914 Views, 65 Comments

Soul Nomad and the Equestrians - Devourlord



After the Demon Path Bad Ending; Devourlord Revya in Equestria. A Soul Nomad and the World Eaters crossover.

  • ...
3
 65
 1,914

Chapter 6: A Surprising Reunion: The Most Hardcore Asskicker Returns!

*Even More Epic Chapter Opening Music (Read title while song plays)*
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Soul Nomad and the Equestrians

Chapter 6: A Surprising Reunion: The Most Hardcore Asskicker Returns!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Things We've Learned From Soul Nomad and the World Eaters:

Gods of death tend to be really cool.

The Everfree Forest, The Ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters

A warm breeze blew through the empty halls of the once great Castle of the Two Sisters. Ever since it was abandoned after the battle between Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon over a thousand years ago, the castle had fallen into a state of ruin. Much of it was overgrown by the Everfree's uncontrolled plant life and many of the passages were blocked off by rubble. Not to say the castle wasn't a great place to hide and recover one's strength like a certain being was currently doing.

The Onyx Blade still laid ominously on the floor where Revya had casually thrown it after his arrival. As for the Devourlord himself, he still laid sleeping on the dusty bed that sat in the corner of the room. It wasn't the cleanest choice nor was it the most comfortable, but it was probably better than sleeping in a tree or on the ground. His chest no longer burned and his pounding headache had mostly gone away.

Revya turned over in his sleep as more voices from the past came to haunt him in his normally empty dreams.

"You just... have no conscious!"

"...I'll kill you... I'LL KILL YOU!!!"

"You're not really the same anymore... are you?"

"You're really living this up, huh? Your eyes... they're not even human anymore."

Revya covered his face with his leather gauntlets and rubbed eyes as they opened slowly. The voices were beginning to seriously get on his nerves. They always seemed to be trying to instill guilt in him for his horrible accomplishments. So what if he killed thousands of innocent lives? So what if he destroyed his home world? So what if he-

"Having trouble sleeping?" came a teasing voice.

-was hearing a very familiar voice.

Revya quickly sat up on the dingy bed and looked around the room at hearing that voice. At first he had believed it was just his imagination or maybe someone else was with him he didn't know of. He was right about the second one.

"...No...it couldn't be..." he muttered quietly.

"Couldn't be what?" said the voice coming from the area around him.

Revya paused as the voice echoed through the room. It took only a minute before he recognized it. It was a voice he thought he would never hear again. The one that he first heard over a year ago on that fateful day when his life changed forever. It was the voice of a dead man.

"G-Gig...?" Revya asked hesitantly.

"Heh heh heh... yup. The one and only, badass extraordinaire!"

"Gig, you're dead." Revya said quietly.

"You can hear my voice, right?"

"Um...yeah...?"

"Then I'm not dead, am I?" Gig replied, a bit annoyed.

"I ate your soul." Revya muttered. "You shouldn't be here...I-I'm probably just hallucinating..."

"Oh yeah, thanks a lot for reminding me about that horrible experience, soulmate." Gig replied with the last word spoken quite sourly. "Turns out for that second part that it ain't that easy to get rid of a soul that's been bound to you."

"Oh really?" Revya asked malevolently. "Well, I got rid of you once and I'll do it again."

"Um... kid? That's not a good idea..."

Revya ignored Gig and began focusing on his soul to purge the unwanted entity from him once more. Not even a few seconds later, a fresh wave of searing pain surged through Revya. A shout of pain exploded from his mouth as he rolled from the dingy bed to the floor, clutching his chest. A moment later, the pain subsided and the Devourlord propped himself up on one arm.

"W-What was that?" He stuttered out.

An exasperated sigh came from Gig. "If you had let me friggin' explain before you tried to get rid of me, I would've told ya that our soul is different."

"What are you going on about now?" Revya spat as he sat up.

"Look kid, I'm gonna break it down for ya here. While you were taking the train to Slumberville for the first time right after we fought Feinne, I did a little poking around in your soul. Turns out, the old hag only did a half soul fusion"

"A half soul fusion? Why would she do that?"

"She probably meant to un-fuse us after you took down the World Eaters. And then she'd stuff me back the sword until the next time I was needed."

"And you wouldn't want that."

"Uh, duh!" Gig stated obviously. "Of course I wouldn't want that! That's why in the beginning, I tried to complete the fusion and kick your soul out so I could take your body for myself."

"You were going to get rid of me?" Revya asked somewhat angrily.

"Kid, I flat out told you in the beginning I was gonna get rid of your soul, but because of the old hag and that Crimson Tear she used, I never got the chance to."

"...And you're telling me all of this just now." Revya said deadpanned. "Why did you keep it to yourself?"

"You were having so much fun blowing stuff up, and I didn't want to ruin your fun, heh heh..."

Revya just silently doubted Gig's last statement and let the matter drop before changing the subject.

"So, how did you come back?"

"...Actually... I was hoping you could answer that." Gig remarked.

"Wait, you don't know how you came back?"

"No, I don't. Do you have any idea?

"Not really..." Revya stated quietly. "So what happened to you?"

"Ya know... I'm not actually too sure myself. After you devoured my soul, everything went pitch black. It kinda freaked me out because it was all quiet and crap for a while. Then I saw it. There were all of these little blue-white glowing orbs everywhere. Thousands of them."

"Souls?" Revya questioned.

"Yeah, and the freaky part is that I could hear them. I could hear their screams of pain and shouts of anger." Gig explained. "All of those souls you've eaten? They're still in there, alive and aware."

Revya pondered this for a moment. It did explain the voices he heard, and maybe with Gig back, he'd only have to deal with one annoying voice in his head again.

Gig continued. "I was stuck there for a while before I felt something pulling on my soul. Then everything went white and I felt myself back in your body. I tried moving around but then I found out I can't control your freaking body anymore when you're out-cold! Something happened and our souls have gotten twisted together by some outside force." Gig commented. "In other word, my soul comprises half of your soul. I've literally become a part of you."

"Wait, what?!" Revya asked.

"Yeah... it's that bad. But don't just take my word, go ahead; look inside of yourself."

Revya listened to Gig and then focused on himself. After a moment of searching, he saw that what Gig had said was true. Instead of two souls bound together, there was only one soul. His and Gig's combined. Revya took a moment to mull it over before speaking again.

"What does this mean?" Revya asked quietly.

"Were you not listening?" Gig asked irately. "We're. Freaking. Fused. Together. As. One. Soul! The fusion is complete and we're stuck like this!"

"I know what you said, but why? Why is this happening?"

"How the hell should I know? You were the one living it up with all my powers." Gig said.

"Well, you don't seem to be really mad since I kinda sorta destroyed you."

"I can't really say I hold it against you." Gig replied. "I mean, yeah, I'm still pretty friggin' pissed about it, but it's what I was planning to do in the beginning of our fusion. Of course, when you turned out to be a cold-blooded murderer with a desire for total genocide, I guess I kinda forgot about it. So... I really shot myself in the foot there because I didn't see how strong you were becoming."

"So once again, another not-so-rare lapse in judgment from you?" Revya asked mockingly.

"Hey!" Gig shouted. "How the hell was I supposed to know how strong you were?" He huffed. "It ain't easy measuring the exact strength of your soul when it's fused to someone elses."

A moment of silence passed between the two before Gig spoke up again.

"I do want to know, though." Gig said. "Why did you eat my soul?"

"Maybe it was because of all the stupid crap you were doing finally pissed me off enough?" Revya replied smartly.

"You got rid of me because you got pissed off at my antics?" Gig asked incredulously. "Name three times I did something stupid."

"Okay..." Revya answered. "How about taking a hostage that we didn't want nor needed?"

"Well, that was an opportunity to maybe get some leverage."

"What about all the times you didn't tell me what you were doing when you had control of my body?"

"I didn't think you'd cared enough to know." Gig replied. "You wantonly used my power even though it put your body in danger of possession by me."

"Fine." Revya remarked. "What about when you stupidly renamed Orviska the 'BFF Empire'?"

"Hey! I thought the name was working fine!"

"Everyone said the name sucked."

"You didn't."

"I let you name it that only because I knew you wouldn't drop it, and if I named it, I'd never hear the end of it."

"Fine, whatever. But... I have to admit though, you made things fun again. You know, going around killing shit and raising hell everywhere you went."

"You mean YOU made things fun again."

"What are ya talking about?"

"If I remember correctly, YOU were possessing MY body for weeks at a time. All I got was a few hours to kill stuff." Revya explained a bit sourly.

"I was picking up where I left off." Gig said defensively. "It's kinda hard to destroy stuff when ya don't have a body anymore to do it. "

"Yeah, yeah...of course you were..."

"By the way...I love what you've done with our castle." the Master of Death replied dryly and was apparently looking around the room. "It really says gloom and doom with a hint of hopelessness. It's a bit cliche, but it works."

"...We're not in Orviska, or even on Haephnes for that matter." Revya responded.

"Wait, we're not on Haephnes?" Gig asked. "What happened to Haephnes?"

"Well, after I took your power, I blew it up, along with Drazil." Revya replied simply. It was just a statement, like one had just swatted a fly without second thought.

"You blew them both up...?" Gig asked, clearly impressed. "Well, damn. Can't do much better than that I guess. Just wish I could have been there to see it."

"Yeah, after I killed everyone, there wasn't any point to keeping the worlds around. That and I didn't really feel like killing every single living being on Drazil individually. It was easier just to destroy it and be done with it."

"So where the hell are we anyways?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me."

Twenty minutes of explaining later...

"Ponies."

"Yeah."

"We're in a world...full of nothing...but ponies..."

"Yeah."

"...and they apparently worship friendship like it's a friggin' religion."

"Pretty much."

A moment of silence passed before Gig spoke again.

"...How hard did you hit you hit the ground earlier?"

"I knew you wouldn't believe me."

"Well, the whole thing just seems really freaking weird to me. I mean, we've dealt with some crazy stuff, but ponies and friendship?" Gig said before finishing with a groan. "I haven't even been here for a hour and I already hate this friggin' world."

"Well, that makes two of us." Revya agreed.

"Alright, now that that's taken care of, on to more pressing matters. Do we have any hotpods?"

Revya resisted the urge to face palm himself. Of course with Gig around again, he knew would eventually have to address the issue of hotpods. Revya already knew the answer but really didn't want to tell Gig based solely on the fact that Revya would have to listen to Gig whine and complain about it. Gig had mentioned during the time that they had occupied Orviska, he had ordered that every single solitary hotpod that was within the city be delivered to the castle. Apparently, this happened while Revya was asleep and couldn't berate Gig's obsession with the food that the Master of Death had claimed was the "snack food of the gods."

After a moment to gather himself, Revya spoke one word.

"No."

"What."

"...Yeah, there's no hotpods..."

A moment of silence passed as Gig processed this new information.

"Huh, he seems to be taking this better than I-" Revya thought before being cut off.

"WHAT DO YA MEAN THERE'S NO DAMN HOTPODS?! HOW CAN THERE BE ANY WORLD IN EXISTANCE THAT DOESN'T KNOW THE GLORY OF THE HOTPOD?! I CAN KINDA ACCEPT THE PONIES AND FRIENDSHIP PART, BUT NO FREAKIN' HOTPODS?!?! WHAT KIND OF CRISPY HELL HAVE WE LANDED IN?!?! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY, AND TOTALLY BULLSHIT!!!"

Needless to say, Gig wasn't taking it well. At all.

"...You don't have to yell, I'm right here you know." Revya said, clutching his head trying to stop the ringing from Gig's voice.

"THIS HASN'T REALLY PUT ME IN A GOOD MOOD KID!!!" Gig roared in anger.

"I'm pretty sure we kind find some hotpods or even hotpod seeds, maybe." Revya replied calmly, trying to stop the returning headache that he had just rid himself of earlier.

"Okay, so what you meant to say is: you don't know if there's any hotpods." Gig said panting heavily.

"Yeah, let's go with that."

After giving himself a moment to calm down and gather himself, Gig continued his questions.

"I just gotta know... How the hell did you lose to a bunch of colorful horses?" Gig asked.

"I didn't lose, Gig. I was kicking their asses for a while. Then they got lucky and hit me with some kind of weird rainbow attack." Revya replied annoyed. "And they're not horses, they're ponies."

"They hit you with a weird rainbow attack?" Gig asked with a chuckle. "That's pretty girly if you ask me. What else did they do? Sing about love and friendship? Maybe they gave you a necklace of flowers?" he asked in a teasing tone. "Or maybe they-"

Gig was cut off as Revya slammed his fist into a nearby wall causing it to crack and crumble. The wall fell apart and a rush of air kicked a cloud of dust up in the aftermath.

"Shut up." Revya said solemnly.

"Okay, okay! Jeez, take it easy kid."

"Gig...it actually hurt." Revya replied seriously. "It was something actually capable of causing me immense pain."

"Something other than the fact that you were trying to pull your own soul apart earlier to try and get rid of me again?"

"..." Revya remained silent at Gig's point. The reaper continued speaking.

"Huh, well still, that's gotta be some pretty powerful magic to hurt you. I mean, you once took a freakin' lightning bolt to the face and you made it out alright."

"Well, yeah but this was different..." Revya replied, thinking back to the battle. "They had these six pieces of jewelry with them. Five necklaces and a tiara. And they used them to attack me with that rainbow."

"Jewelry? What the hell kind of weapon is jewelry?"

"I'm not sure. They called them the 'Elements'."

"So you got blasted with a rainbow shot from a bunch of jewelry called the 'Elements' wielded by six colorful ponies?" Gig asked.

"That pretty much sums it up." Revya said, finishing his explanation.

"Didn't you try, oh I don't know... moving out of the way?" Gig asked.

"The only reason they managed to hit me with it was because I was foolish enough to let them charge it up..." Revya replied. "...And... I didn't think it would actually be able to hurt me."

"Well there's the problem. You didn't take them seriously enough."

"When have you ever seen me take an opponent seriously before?" Revya asked.

"...Good point."

Revya stretched out his arms and stood up from his spot on the floor before picking up the Onyx Blade and reattaching it to his tunic. He strode over to the window in the room and glanced outside into the forest.

"So...what's next?" Gig asked casually.

Revya already had something in mind: Revenge. It was time to pay another visit to the six ponies he had fought.

"I'm going to find those six ponies and turn their pathetic miserable lives a living hell." Revya said as his tone turned darker and more unhinged with each word. "I'm going to personally kill them in the most brutal way I can think of, and even if they beg for mercy, I'll slaughter all of them. Then I'm going to take that armpit stain of a town and turn it into a smoldering crater. Heh heh heh heh..." he finished as an insane chuckle slipped from his lips.

"Whoa, kid." Gig muttered.

Gig knew that Revya was never really sane since their fusion. On Haephnes, he was the most mentally unstable of their band of misfits and the most violent and sadistic as well. The fact that in mere minutes after their fusion, Revya had slaughtered everyone he knew in his village, including his former best friend, as well as later consume the Master of Death himself, made Gig slightly nervous. When he had his own body long ago, Gig had killed and destroyed thousands of lives as well without a second thought, but Revya seemed to be on a whole other level. He was willing to go to any length to cause others misery and once Revya set his mind on something, well, good luck on trying to deter him from it. The Devourlord had proven that he was worse than anything Gig was at one time. It's was the reason why, that deep down, Revya was the only one who Gig was actually afraid of. Of course, Gig would never admit it.

"...So... we're gonna blow some shit up? Maybe make a couple heads roll while we're at it?" Gig asked, to confirm their plan of action.

"Hell yeah."

Gig rejoined the party!
Gig's bio was added to the Character Sheet. Go check it out after you get done reading!

As Revya turned to leave and began walking towards the door, he passed in front of a mirror that he hadn't noticed before that had been leaning up against the wall. He couldn't remember the last time he had seen his reflection and paused when he saw it. While he seemed to be relatively normal, something caught his eye and he leaned in for a closer look. To Revya's mild surprise, a few streaks of gray were running through his normally crimson colored hair. He reached up slowly and brushed his hand through his hair a few times thinking it was dust, but the streaks remained.

"Huh... weird..." Revya muttered under his breath.

"Hey!" Gig called out, breaking Revya concentration. "When your done admiring yourself, can we get a move on? I want some freakin' action already!"

"Yeah...let's get going." Revya said as he turned away from the mirror after giving one last look.

Revya walked away and reached the front door of the castle and opened it up, revealing the Everfree Forest. The sky was still blue with the slightest indications of the approaching dusk. As Revya exited the castle, the area fell silent, as if the very forest itself was in fear of the Devourlord's presence. Revya began to walk away from the castle along the same dirt path that led him there as Gig spoke up.

"This world doesn't exactly strike me as being colorful. More like...dark and depressing."

"We're in a dark forest, what do you expect?"

"Fair enough."

Another moment of silence pasted before Gig spoke up again.

"So, you do know where you're going, right?"

"Not really, but if worse comes to worse, I can just level the whole place to clear a path."

"So why not just get it over with?"

"Because I'm going to take a more quiet approach this time."

"But that's boring!" Gig groaned. "You're suppose to charge in and start blatantly chopping heads off!"

"I think the townsfolk were all hiding the first time I got there. That, or they somehow evacuated the entire town in the matter of a few minutes."

"So why didn't you just blow the whole town up and be done with it?"

"It's no fun if I don't get at to at least see my victims suffer and squirm in fear of me." Revya replied casually.

"But you destroyed Drazil because you didn't want to deal with it."

"Well...yeah...but that was an entire world and this is just a small town."

"But... that doesn't make sense!"

"Destruction isn't suppose to make sense. It's only fun when it's senseless. You should that better than anyone Gig." Revya smirked.

"Oh come on!"

The Devourlord and Gig continued to talk/argue as they made their way along the path. The once fierce predators of the forest could only watch from the relative safety of the bushes as the he strode past. Revya could sense their presences but made no attempt to attack them. They simply weren't worth his time. He had bigger and more important targets to think about, like six mares that he just couldn't wait to take his revenge upon...

Author's Note:

HAAA HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm baaaaaaaaack! Yep, the biggest badass ever has returned! That's me if you didn't know. What, you guys actually thought I was dead? Well, how this for a plot twist?! And I still don't frickin' believe that we're stuck here. Anyways, I'm probably gonna be adding my own two cents to this area, and maybe even some of the comments, for the rest of the story. Also I- Hey! What the-! *Shoves Gig out of the way* Sorry about that guys. I'm also immensely sorry about the absurdly long delay between Chapters 5 and 6. This chapter took me forever and a half to write because of work, school, studying and honestly, I also got really friggin' lazy with putting in time for writing and also having a general lack of motivation. Originally, this was scheduled to be released on Sept. 25 2014, and here we are over a little over two years later... But, as the saying goes, better late than never, right? So, I'm going to really try to get around to publishing new chapters on a semi-regular basis from here out. And just in case you're still not sure after reading: Yes, everyone's favorite badass Master of Death is back in action (Well, as back in action as being stuck in Revya's body again will allow him to be). If you don't understand why yet (and you probably don't), don't worry. All will become clear in the next couple chapters. In the next chapter, we'll be checking in with the Mane Six and building our way up to the second half of the Battle of Ponyville. From here on out, the story is going to start getting quite a bit darker. Just throwing that out there so you're ready for it. I also completely overhauled the Character Sheet by combining the Mane Six into one entry and added Gig to the list. *Gig comes back in* HEY! What the hell?! I was talking to them! *Sigh...* Also... if you guys want to ask any questions about the game's story, I'll try (keyword is "try") to explain it in as simple of a manner as I can. Don't you freakin' ignore me! I swear to god I will write you out of this story again if you don't shut up! *Argument continues off-screen*

- Devourlord (The author) & Gig

Comments ( 11 )

GIG!:pinkiehappy:

The baddest of the bad, the maddest of the mad, killer of king and destroyyyyyyyyer of worlds! He is back, I love that guy. He had the best lines.

7699494
Thank you for your support. Gig's just such a fun character to write because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else when in reality, he's an idiot.

7699520
This was actually a thing during the game's story. Revya's antics caused several characters who joined your party to actually lose their sanity and/or sense of empathy from the sheer destruction he caused.

Yes! Gig is back, I'm so happy.

Devourlord, I must say this. Thank you. I have searched long for a Soul Nomad crossover and you have delivered. You even made this about Devourlord Revya, which I wouldn't have expected. By the way, I know this probably won't happen, but can you imagine what it would be like if Revya summoned his allies from the Demon Path? Like I said, it probably won't happen, because Haephnes was destroyed.

7850887
I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far. I wanted the story to be about Revya because, honesty, he's always overshadowed by Gig in terms of popularity and never really gets a chance to shine. I'm also happy to see someone did their Soul Nomad homework. And you are correct. Once those allies are gone, they're gone. So, no ally summoning will be happening.

7877656 What can I say, I love Soul Nomad. I want to actually play it, but I don't want to shell out the money for a ps2 just to play it. I could try to emulate, but I don't know of any website I could go to to download an emulator and Soul Nomad. For now, the best I can do is watch videos about it.

By the way, how do imagine each of the Demon Path allies reacting to being in Equestria? Galahad would probably try selling stuff to the ponies. Thorndyke, okay you got me there. Kanan would probably preach about religion and crap. Shauna, assuming she ever recovers from you-know-what, would probably love robbing whoever she could. You already said that they wouldn't appear, so I felt the need to ask.

7881689
I've been trying to get a PS2 emulator to work on my computer so I can experience the game again. You can get one at www.emuparadise.com, along with the rom for the game. I finally got it to work after about 2 hours of fiddling about with it.

As for the Demon Path allies, you're probably right about Galahad. However, the other three are different.

Thorndyke went crazy during the story because he thought he killed his son and became a cold blooded murderer. So, he would kill the ponies.

Kanan hasn't been sane ever since he was involved with Thuris. Religion isn't really a big thing in Equestria, so they'd dismiss him as a raving lunatic; then he'd use his special attack to murder them.

And Shauna, well, she's been through a lot of crap in her life. That little fifty-five day time skip during the story is just the last straw that finally breaks her and turns her into a nihilistic killer. In other words, ponies die at her hands.

And then there's Revya, nuff said.

7886790 I'll admit, it has been a while since I saw a Let's Play on YouTube, so you're probably right on the ally reactions. By the way, thanks for the site. I'll try to get an emulator from there.

7887004
You should know that you'll also have to find the game's BIOS online, download the game (about 2 GB) and extract it using WinRAR and then covert it from a 7zip file to a ISO file before you can play it.

7887933 Figured I might as well say this. It took me a while, but got my emulator working. As of now, I'm at the final boss of the Hero Path. By the way, I found something out. If your affinity with Levin is high enough, when you get to Drazil, he rejoins your party. You'll know because, in the fight with Raksha, Euphoria will show up, alive and well. Supposedly, the same is true for Endorph, but I couldn't get his affinity high enough. I'll try in another playthrough. I don't know for certain, but I think the affinity has to be high enough so you'll get their ending.

Login or register to comment