• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 1,118 Views, 16 Comments

Eternity - Anonponymous



Twilight has a picnic with old friends.

  • ...
3
 16
 1,118

A Sunny Day

Author's Note:

So, yeah a very short story I wanted to write. Enjoy.

Finally the day had arrived, she had been waiting a long time for this, and finally she would get to sit down and chat with her friends after her long months of nothing but work, work ,work. It used to drive her insane that being a princess prevented her from seeing her friends as often, but Applejack had said that no matter what, they would always be there for her. She spoke the truth, because in times when Twilight became so snowed under her work, or she began missing them and becoming increasingly lonely, the girls would always be there for her.

“Hey girls!” Twilight exclaimed happily, as she approached the hill where her friends are laying. The sun was up, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and today was Twilight’s day off from her royal duties in quite a long time. As her job meant she had to work a lot, and do a ton of paperwork.

She didn’t get to visit her friends very often, around once a year sadly… but that was okay! It always made her feel better when she came down from Canterlot to see them.

She reached the top of the hill and pushed off her saddlebags, whilst taking out a picnic blanket. Rolling it out flat, allowing her to lay down on the ground without getting dirty. Humming a little tune, Twilight began setting out the cups and other dishes to each of her friends. When done she sat down with a smile.

“I’m sorry that I haven’t been able to see you all sooner, but you know how my work is…” she sighed, at least she had today, and she was going to make the most of it. Ruffling her feathers a bit to get comfortable, she began searching through her saddlebags for some water. Pouring it into each cup, making sure there was enough to go around.

“Oh, I forgot to say, the other day while I was searching through the Canterlot archives, I found one of Starswirl the Bearded’s personal journals!” she said in a tone not unlike that of a foal opening their Hearths Warming presents, “I’m sure you girls don’t know who he is, but if I remember correctly on my first Nightmare Night in Ponyville I dressed up as him.”

Sure the news didn’t really mean much to her friends, but they always did like to see Twilight happy, and supported her anyway. She did, however, have some great news for them all, and she was ecstatic to finally get to speak to them all, again.

“You’ll never guess what happened today, Fluttershy!” Twilight began, “The castle brought in more exotic animals for the royal gardens, I just know how much you would love to see them!” she said excitedly, she had so much to share with her friends today!

“I actually have some great news for everypony, today!” Twilight said, as she cleared her throat, “But first, let’s get the food out.” she began taking out wrapped sandwiches, she had made all of their favourites on her own. She wanted to do it herself, rather than have the royal chefs do the work… it took the sentimentalness out of it.

“All your favourites!” Twilight began to unwrap and place the sandwiches on her friends empty plates, then finally settling with a daisy sandwich for herself, “Mmm, nothing better than a plain old daisy sandwich, eh girls?” she giggled.

“So the good news I had for you all! Applejack, the Canterlot courts have finally passed your plea for more land, as we all know Sweet Apple Acres is becoming a first choice brand all around Equestria! More land, more apples!” It felt good to be giving out such wonderful news!

“Oh, and Pinkie I bet even you couldn’t guess what happened the other week. They opened the “Element of Laughter’s Party Palooza” It’s a new building up in Canterlot made just for foals parties!” she was wearing a huge smile, an entire building named after Pinkie’s element!

“Rainbow, the Wonderbolts have finally found a recruit able to do the Sonic Rainboom! Imagine that, the second pony in existence to actually perform it! He always followed your teachings, you know?” A great honor for somepony to actually achieve such a feat, and in fact follow your own words! I’m sure that was great to hear.

“The Canterlot Elite Magazine has made an entire issue based solely off of your dress line Rarity! I bet you weren’t expecting that! But the rest of us knew it would happen one day, your dresses are simply magnifique!” she giggled, and smile to her friends who lay peacefully before her.

Twilight lay back a bit, adjusting her eyes towards the sky. It truly was a glorious day for a picnic with your best friends… ‘if only Spike could have made it’, she thought to herself, he said he just couldn’t do it anymore. How silly, why couldn’t he? A nice picnic with the girls is a great way to help them catch up.

Twilight didn’t have any friends in Canterlot, only ponies who tried to gain her favour as royalty and she couldn’t really count her old teacher, as they were too busy to speak to one another. Luna was always up during the night too, so she couldn’t speak with her. Then Cadance had the Crystal Empire to run on her own, so there wasn’t too much she could do about that.

It’s not that she didn’t try to speak with the other princesses every now and then, just for some personal time. Though they couldn’t always make time to speak to one another, the princesses were as close as ever. At least they got to see each other, and get to catch up properly on the holidays. Even though she was lonely a lot of the time, it didn’t really matter… she had ponies who cared for her.

Twilight knew there would be times where she was lonely, it came in the job description as being princess! She accepted this, sure there were the odd nights where she would cry herself to sleep, and spend the days in a depressed state...

But Twilight was happy with having the girls to speak to, even if she only say them once a year… even though the conversation was always one sided… a slow tear made its way down Twilight’s cheek.

Comments ( 16 )

Not bad for a first story. I don't see any of the spelling, grammar, or pacing issues that most first-timers have. The only isssue is how predictable the plot is. It was so predictable, in fact, that I expected some sort of surprise twist at the end. "Twilight misses her dead friends" has been done almost to death, if you'll excuse the pun.

3695195 Thank you, and I agree, it's been done a lot. I just felt like writing one, not sure why.

I saw the ending coming, but that didn't make it any less sad. Good job. If this is your first story, I can't wait to see more from you.

3695282 Thank you. I guess it is pretty predictable, but hey, I gave it a shot.

Not original but pretty good.

Not Michael grammar or spelling errors I can see.

Good fo you

Like and Fav.

:pinkiehappy:

And also I detected bit of insanity in Twilight's mind.

Possible depression help? No

Possible suicide due to insanity maybe.

Possible corruption for use or dark magic YES

And that's why I don't like being immortal, unless I rule a empire that has e best military,economy and every body loves me

3695437 I'm sorry, but what is 'Michael grammar'? Thank you very much, by the way.

"Hey, this looks like a nice little story that totally won't drill me into depression once more!"
...
"Goddamnit." :raritycry:

(I applaud you if this really is your first story :trixieshiftright:. The idea may be overused, but you executed it in a way that is both short and sweet. Bravo... or brava :pinkiehappy:)

3695539

What the fuck auto correct?

I mean much grammar problem

I hate this iPad

And then Pinkie Pie yelled "Boo!" from behind Twilight.

3695838 Couldn't of thought of a better ending, even if I had tried!

3695843

Pinkie Pie wouldn't let a silly little thing like death stop her from cheering up her friend in need.

"Pinkie Pie, this is impossible," said Twilight. "You aren't possible."

"I have no idea," replied Pinkie, "but I always find a good cupcake takes the mind off such things." Pinkie pulled a blueberry cupcake from her mane and passed it to Twilight.

Alright, a very interesting story.

For a first story, it wasn't that bad. There were a few shaky spots. But overall, not bad. As the story went on, I found that the story was a bit predictable. It's not bad predictable, but I would have liked to have seen it done another way. It would have been good to see it done in a way that hadn't been done before or something that could have changed things around.

I did like the execution though. Most stories go on and on about the death of the friends and how they die and everything. And this was nice change, because it was short, sweet and to the point. It didn't ramble on and on, it just said what it wanted to say and then finished up. Which is good because you don't want to bore your audience with that. I know some writers, me included, have that problem, but I think you handled it well here.

Thanks for letting me read. Hope this helps and I'll catch you later. Take care. :pinkiehappy:

Plot twist! I must be really stupid, but I didn't see that coming. Commendable FimFic. My first one got so many hates that I had to delete it. I hate those jerks. Anywho, great job!

Login or register to comment