• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 722 Views, 30 Comments

Nexus' Hearths Warming - Lunarus Solaris Nexus



It's been five years since Sombra was defeated by The Elements of Freedom. Nexus can finally spend a normal Hearths Warming Eve with his family.

  • ...
3
 30
 722

Nexus' Hearths Warming

Five years, it’s been five long years since Sombra was defeated by Nexus and his friends. Nexus’ responsibilities dictated most of his life but he always carved out time for his family, biological and extended, once a year. Hearth’s Warming Eve. The time of the year that was always white with snow and filled with joy. Nexus loved it. It made him remember why he fought for. His son, Astral Wind Nexus, always went out with Ephialtes’ daughter and made a snow pony before starting a massive snow ball war with the kids at school. He and Night n‘ Gale always fought like lions over who got the first serving of hot chocolate from Celestia and Luna. It was like tradition.

Nexus was proud of his son. So was Dust Strom. She would always kiss their son on the forehead and tell him that he was the best thing that ever happened to them. She wasn’t wrong. When Nexus returned for Saddle Arabia with the rest of his team, he didn’t waste anytime getting to his wife to be at the time. He had been gone eight months, she was a month pregnant before he left. He may not have made it in time to see him born but he was there to greet him tot he world he had created. Equal and democratic, just how he envisioned it.

It was Hearth’s Warming Eve and Astral was at the tree in the castle trying to find his presents. Dust had to peal him away from the tree before he could rip open his gifts a day early. Nexus was upstairs busy trying to set up their tree with the presents he had bought for Dust and Astral. He had tried everything to try and get the ten foot tree up right; pulling normally and even ropes. Ever since banishing Sombra, Nexus’ magic had been more or less depleted. He had to strain himself to telekinetically lift the tree onto its stand. Dust walked in with Astral just as he let it go and dropped it into the stand.

“Are you okay Lunar?” She asked walking over to the still young robopony.

“I’m fine. Not the hardest thing to do with magic. I’m recovering. How was your last day of school Astro?”

“It was great Dad! The snow ball war is today and I know I’ll win.” Astral said happily. “Could you help me win this year Dad?”

“Son you know that’s not fair. My talent is strategy.”

“But Uncle Ephi’s helping Gale.” Astral whined.

Nexus stopped just as he was about to put the first ordainment on the tree. “Is he now?” Nexus threw on a scarf and his guard helmet and smiled to his son. “Get ready for the best snowball war you’ve ever seen."

The little Pegasus jumped for joy as he ran to his room for his specially sized armor.

In the fields of Canterlot Castle, two walls of ice stood. Atop one, Nexus stood tall with his son, Ephialtes on the other with his daughter. Nexus and Astral turned to face around ten fillies and colts all holding snowballs however they could with dark blue scarf’s.

“Just like I told you. Inspire, let them know what they’re fighting for.” Nexus whispered to Astral.

“Okay everypony!” The little colt shouted. “We stand to claim the best hot chocolate in Equestria. They may have one by default last year but that was a year ago. We are were the first to win and it won’t be our last. Beyond this wall is nopony’s land. It’s an open field of snow and snot.” a colt sneezed as Astral paused making Nexus chuckle. “We will claim our prize or die trying. Who’s with me!?”

The small crowd of children shouting in agreement. With the promise of one of the best sugar highs in all of Canterlot, the troops readied themselves. Nexus stood along side his son as he shouted orders. “First one to get the other teams flag wins. If you get hit you come back to our flag and get back into the fight. You ready Gale!?”

“Yeah. Let’s go!” the little filly shouted happily. “I wanna make our snow pony soon.”

“Alright, ready?”

“Charge!” Gale interrupted.

Everypony charged. Night n’ Gale’s side wore white scarves instead of blue. The two threw snow balls at one another trying to keep the others from building smaller walls for protection. Astral used his wings to uproot enough snow to make a small burm large enough for him an two other colts to lay down covering fire. Ephialtes and Nexus hung back on the walls with a few colts and lobbed snowballs at one another and anypony getting close to the wall.

Nexus watch proudly as Astral shouted orders like a professional. Flanks, pincers, and even getting a ice shield phalanx at one point. Each was thwarted by Night n’ Gale’s father showing her the weaknesses in the maneuvers and showing her how to counter them. Astral took a hit when he got up to throw snowball and retreated behind the wall and toughed the flag on the twig.

“We’re taking a beating.” Nexus said.

“I’m trying Dad.”

“You’re doing a great job. Better then my expectations.”

“And mine as well.” a mare said over the shouting children.

“Auntie Luna!” Astral said happily hugging the princes of the night.

“Marry Hearth’s Warming Lunarus. Is the battle going well.”

“We’re doing okay, but we can’t break the lines.” Astral said flying up to peak over the six foot tall wall.

“Perhaps I could help. It has been a while since Celestia and I participated in one of these?”

“Celestia?” Nexus peered over the wall and took a snow ball right to the face. After pealing the frozen rain from his eyes, he saw Celestia holding a snowball in her telekinetic grasp. “Oh she’s going down.” Nexus said getting back behind the wall.

“What do you think we should do young Astral?” Luna asked.

“We’ve tried everything.”

“But a frontal assault. If we can get a unicorn up to that wall and make a hole, then we can get in and start making our way to the flag. You remember how?”

“Yeah!” Astral climbed the wall and shouted for a retreat. He, Nexus and Luna provided covering fire as the Astral’s troops retreated. After everypony was at the wall, Astral laid out the plan before Gale’s army attacked. “I want two of you on the sides and the rest help me push through the front. Dad, take Frozen Light over the wall when we’ve pushed them back so he can take down the wall.”

“Got it, Luna and I will lead the flanking assault.” Nexus said levitating a few snowballs.

“Go before they get over the wall! Charge!” Astral shouted leading the rest of them over the wall while Nexus and Luna took either side of the wall. The two ponies that Nexus and Luna lead giggled and screamed as they shot volley after volley of snow balls at the advancing army of foals. Just as they started to fall back, Nexus grabbed a ice blue unicorn and spread his mechanical wings.

The colt shouted with glee as Nexus flew him over the wall. Ephialtes and Celestia tried knocking them out of the sky with a few snow balls but Frozen Light’s horn glowed summoning a shield of ice. Nexus had no idea that was possible for a foal to do. He had thought that the shields during the first phalanx were made by Pegasi. The snow splattered against the shield as Nexus and Frozen Light dropped behind the wall and started their assault.

Nexus took a pot shot at Celestia and Astral pounced on his uncle. Celestia stumbled and fell face first into a large burm. Frozen dropped the shield and picked up a mass amount of snow from the trees and with great strain, unleashed a title wave of snow upon the wall. The snow slammed full force into the wall and caused it to crumble to chunks of ice as his avalanche settle like mud in the battlefield. Nexus over looked everything and saw that the child was careful with his attack and only knocked over a couple of Gale’s team mates. As ponies rushed past, Astral grabbed the white scarf from the branch they all used as a pole just before Gale tackled him in a giggling fit.

“Hey! No fair!” Astral protested wrestling Gale.

“Papi says everything’s fair.” Gale said still giggling.

Nexus watched as the two friends continued to “fight” for a moment before Astral escaped and flew to the top of the wall holding his prize.

“We win! Stop it!” Astral shouted before getting tackled again.

Nexus chuckled before getting in-between the two, both of them still laughing. “Okay, you two. Astral won fair and square.”

“Yeah, I know. It’s just funny when he wines about it.” Gale said still giggling.

“Was not! Mommy told me not to hit girls.”

“And she’s right son. Let’s all get some coco before we catch cold eh?” Nexus shouted to everypony. The foals all scrambled for the castle as Ephialtes, Nexus and the princess’ gathered before following.

Once everypony got their hot chocolate, they all gathered in the castles parlor room. The large fireplace blazed helping everypony get the chill from the winter off of their coats. The residence of the castle sat in front of fire place sipping their hot chocolate. Nexus with his wife, Ephialtes with Hestaria and Celestia with Luna. The group laughed as Nexus recounted the snowball war giving praise to his and Ephialtes’ kids for how they fought like their fathers.

“Those two are taking a bit too much from the wrong side of family.” Dust joked.

“Hey! There’re worse things in the world to be like.” Ephialtes said offended as his bat pony wifu laughed at her friends joke.

“I know Ephi, but she’s too innocent to have to be like you right now. Maybe after she’s gone through puberty then you can try to make her a bit of a tomboy.”

“She has a point Ephialtes.” Luna said taking a sip of her marshmallow filled hot chocolate.

“Speaking of our kids, look over there.” Dust said pointing a hoof at Astral and Night n’ Gale.

Astral sat with a scowl on his face as Gale brushed his unkempt mane. Another thing he took from his father.

“They’re adorable aren’t they?” Celestia asked.

Nexus chuckled. “We might be related yet Ephi.”

“She’s been saying that Astral’s her boy friend you know?” Hestaria added.

She and Dust giggled remembering their own school house crushes.

“It’ll pass.” Ephialtes said taking a gulp of his coco and trying to keep a manly face as it burned his tongue and throat.

“It might, but you never know. After all, I’ve been with one woman my whole life.” Nexus said kissing Dust on the cheek.

“After being imprisoned for about two years.” Ephialtes said still trying to not scream from pain.

“Says the loner.”

“Okay you two that’s enough. We left all of this behind us years ago.” Celestia said.

“She is right. Ever since Lunarus became my representative we’ve gone five years without issues between anypony.” Luna said.

“And I’m glad but part of me misses the adventure that came with hunting Sombra. New places, new challenges.”

“Well tonight you can work on your dancing.” Dust said nudging Nexus.

“That’s right, the ball is tonight. Will your children be in attendance?” Luna asked.

“Albeit against his will Astro’ll be there.”

“Gale’s looking forward to it. She made me go out and help her get a dress.” Hestaria added.

“Speaking of I think it’s about time we wrapped up this party. Astral, it’s time to tell your friends to go home. Their parents are probably outside waiting on them.”

“Okay, Dad. Bye everypony!”

Astral’s friends waved goodbye as two guards led the kids out of the castle. Astral shook out his mane until it was messy again and followed his parents to their room.

“Mommy, do I have to?” Astral wined as his mother combed his mane straight again.

“Son, you said you wanted to do something with your father and I and this is what we’re doing. Night n’ Gale’s gonna be there.” Dust wore the same black dress she wore to the Grand Galloping Gala five years ago.

“I know but I was hoping Dad could show me how to do some of those moves he’s always practicing.”

“Come on Astral. Dust is right. This is an important event. Even I have to dress up and you and I know how much I hate it.” Nexus said coming down stairs in his midnight blue dress uniform trying to tie his tie. “When we get back we can mess up our manes as much as we want.”

“Okay.” Astral said still pouting as Dust finished combing his mane straight and parted down the middle.

“Don’t think you’re out of the woods yet Lunar, you still need to comb your mane.”

“I know but… teleport!” Nexus said vanishing in a flash of white light.

“Ugh. Go get your tie Astral, I’ll go find your father.” Dust groaned as she flew up the stairs.

It took dust about five minutes of holding Nexus down to brush his mane straightish. But other then that they were able to leave on time to get to the ball down stairs. It wasn’t hard to find Ephialtes sitting with Hestaria and Night n’ Gale. Especially Ephialtes was the only other pony wearing a military dress uniform. Hestaria wore a silver dress and her pulled back in a French braid. Night n’ Gale wore a simple blue dress and magnetic blue stud earrings.

Hestaria looked up from her mango pie and smiled. “Hey you guys! It’s about time you two showed up.”

“Hey Ephi. How’s it hangin?”

“I’m doin’ fine. And you?”

“I’ll be better when my hair is mess up again.”

“Hi Astral.” Night n’ Gale said a bit shy for some reason.

“H-Hey Gale.” Astral replied just as nervous or uncomfortable.

They all sat down at the table and talked. Astral and Gale were fairly quiet for about an hour until a fast song came on. None of the adults knew it but the kids loved the wubs that fell from the speakers. Astral and Gale ran out on to the dance floor and started having the time of their lives. And though it took some convincing, Hestaria and Dust Storm were able to drag their husbands out onto the floor. Ephialtes had no issues on the dance floor, he just wasn’t much for the spot light. Nexus on the other hand couldn’t dance to save his life. He was barely able to waltz with Dust at the reception.

After two silly songs just meant to keep everypony smiling, a slow song came on. Nexus could handle this. He just put his forelegs around Dust and swayed lightly to the music. After a minute or so, Dust started to giggle.

“What? I’m not that bad.” Nexus groaned.

“No, look over there.” Dust said pointing her nose in the direction she wanted Nexus to look.

Nexus smiled a bit when he saw Astral and Gale hugging and slowly swaying to the music like their parents.

“You think they’re only trying to copy us?” Nexus asked.

“Nope.” As they came around a bit, Nexus and saw Gale kiss Astral’s cheek. “Awe.” Dust cooed watching that happen.

“Celestia was right, they are adorable together.” Hestaria whispered slow dancing her husband over to them.

Nexus looked up to the clock in the ball room and saw it was fast approaching midnight. “I think it’s about time we get our kids to bed.”

“Yeah, it’s getting late for them.” Ephialtes said walking over to the two with Nexus right behind him.

“Come on Gale, time for bed.”

“Okay Daddy.” the little filly yawned.

“You two Astral. The Great Mother won’t come unless you’re sleeping.” Nexus said picking his son up onto his shoulders.

“Whatever you say Dad.”

The two families chatted quietly as they left the ball carrying their children. It mostly consisted of Dust and Hestaria talking about how cute their kids looked dancing with one another. Nexus and Ephialtes just sighed in frustration as they parted ways. Night n’ Gale was hardly able to wave at Astral as Hestaria took her inside for bed. Astral waved back and Nexus carried him up one more flight to stairs to their room. Once inside, Dust kissed Nexus on the cheek and went to their room upstairs.

Nexus took his son to his room under the stairs. Not to be confused with a closet, the room was huge for a child his age. The room was large enough for half the banquette table down in the dinning room to fit inside. The room was painted in Astrals favorite color, white, like the snow. The carpet was thick and soft and covered in toys. Some action figures, army ponies and a suction cup cross bow covered most of the floor and posters of both guard factions hung from the walls but tape. Nexus was on most of them. The bed was a queen sized circular bed with black curtains drawn back. Nexus took his son in his telekinetic grasp and gently laid him into his warm bed

The little colt shifted and opened his bright green eyes. “Dad?” He groaned as Nexus pulled the covers over him.

“Yes, Astro?”

“What is love?”

Nexus was taken back by the question. “Uh, love is something I don’t think you’re old enough to understand.”

“Yes I am. I’m four and a half.”

Nexus chuckled at hearing his son say that. “Well. Love is a strange emotion. It’s really hard to explain. To me, love is that feeling when you look at somepony and you know that no matter what you’d do anything for them. You’d risk your life to come to their rescue and help them when their in need. But never let the person take advantage of that. If that pony loves you too, then they’ll do the same for you.”

“Like you do with Mommy?”

“Yeah. Just like Mommy.”

“How do you know you’re in love?”

“That’s always harder to explain. It’s just a warm fuzzy feeling you get in your tummy when you’re with somepony. It’s a nervousness that flutters around and never goes away when you’re with that pony.”

“Um, Gale told me she loved me.”

“She did?”

“Yeah, her mommy said that when you’re sure that you love somepony that you tell them.”

“Did she now?” Nexus said a bit annoyed that Hestaria was making him go through this in some part. “Do you love Gale?”

“I don’t know.”

“You might not blush but I can tell you’re lying.”

“I don’t know Dad. What do I do?”

“Tell her the truth. If you’re not ready then she’ll accept that.”

“Really?”

“Really. Now get some sleep son. The Great Mother won’t come-”

“Unless I’m sleeping. Okay. Good night Dad.”

“Sleep well son.” Nexus kissed his son’s forehead and quietly left the room.

With the door shut and Astral sleeping soundly, Nexus made his way to his room where Dust was just hanging up her dress. Nexus took a minute or two to get undressed. He slid into bed with his wife and held her close.

“You handled that well.” Dust said.

“You hear huh?”

“Yes, and I’m proud of you.”

“Yeah, I didn’t think I’d be the father I am.”

“You’re a great Dad.” Dust Strom replied kissing her husband deeply. “Did you mean everything you said to him?”

“Every word.”

“So you don’t know why you love me?”

“Now that’s different. You’re kind, gentle, considerate, joyful, a fighter when you’re mad and lover when you’re lovin’. There isn’t anything to not love about you.”

“Since when was the ‘slayer of darkness’ so sappy?”

“Since I said I do.” Nexus said giving her a deep kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you too. You remembered to put ‘The Great Mother’s’ presents out right?”

“I did. Go to sleep.”

Dust nuzzled under his chin and fell into a blissful sleep.

“A.L.I.S.?”

“Already done Commander.” the electronic mare said.

“Thank you.”

Nexus rested his head on Dusts and fell asleep to the smell of her lavender perfume.

“Dad! Mommy! Wake up, The Great Mother was here! Get up!” a little ebony Pegasus shouted jumping up and down on Nexus’ chest plate.

“Okay Astral.” Nexus said groaning. “We’re up. We’re up.” He said grabbing his son and carefully rustling his gray mane with its one white stripe.

Astral rushed down stairs with Nexus and Dust groggily following. Astral didn’t wait, he ripped right into his presents. He got a new hoodie which he quickly put on, a t-shirt with the Evening Guard insignia on it, a wooden sword and shield and (his favorite) an autographed copy of A.K. Yearling’s new book; Daring Do and the Ring of Destiny.

Nexus and Dust didn’t give each other much but what they had gotten was enough. Dust had given Nexus a new pin to put on his dress uniform for when he had to go in front of a crowd and Nexus had bought Dust a fire ruby necklace. She squealed when she saw it and pounced on her husband.

“Come on! The presents downstairs haven’t been opened yet! I bet Gale’s already down there waiting for us!” Astral shouted happily brandishing his fake sword and shield.

“Okay son, we’re coming.” Nexus chuckled taking a mug of coffee with chocolate syrup in it.

Astral decided it would be faster if they took the balcony down. And like his father he didn’t pull up until the last possible second while Dust hovered down gracefully. Since his hoofs were other wise occupied, Astral hovered into the foyer where the castle staff were grabbing their gifts from the princess’. Nexus’ family got tickets for a tropical get away when spring came around and a paper granting leave for Nexus on the week of the trip. Ephialtes’ got tickets to the wonders of Saddle Arabia. Celestia must have figured that since Ephi never got to see the good side of Saddle Arabia that he and his family should get the chance.

Night n’ Gale hovered lightly in the air with a small Nightmare Moon helmet with a fake horn sticking out of the top on when she caught sight of Astral Wind. She flew over as fast as she could and Astral raised his shield.

“Back you foul demon!” he shouted as Gale landed in front of him. “I am General Lunarus of the Chrystal Empire! I fear no pony!”

“I am Nightmare Woon! I’ll gobble you up if you don’t surrender!” Gale said trying to act evil while only coming off as adorable.

“We shall see. Have at Ye!”

“Don’t hit anypony too hard with that Astral!” Dust shouted as he and Gale tumbled in what was most likely an epic battle in their minds.

“I see Gale’s learned to fly.” Nexus said walking up to Ephialtes and Hestaria.

“Yeah she has. Merry Hearth’s Warming Nex.”

“Same to you and Stari.” Dust said putting her chest out showing off her new necklace.

“I see you went all out with your gift this year Captain.” Ephialtes said.

Nexus looked over Hestaria and saw a diamond crescent moon beret in her mane. “Same with you.”

“Still less expensive.”

“I had to pull some strings with Spangle to get that. You think I’m rolling in bits here?”

The two old friends laughed and looked back at their kids roll playing. Gale shot fake bolts of magic at Astral and he attacked with his sword only to be blocked by an invisible shield. The two played for a few minutes before Celestia and Luna called for breakfast. Afterwards, Gale and Astral went outside and built their snow pony bigger then ever now they both could fly. After they were done, Nexus and company watched from the window as Gale kissed Astral’s cheek. Astral looked nervous and started talking to her. She looked so intrigued by what he had to say that it was strange. Even though no pony inside could hear them, they could see Astral mouth ‘I love you too.’

Author's Note:

Me: My first nonaction fic. I hope yall enjoyed.
Nexus: That island get away is going to be so much fun!
Me: Be sure to send me pictures when you go Nex.
Nexus: Why are you being so nice all of the sudden?
Me: It's Christmas man. Time of sharing and caring.
Nexus: Fair enough. Happy Hearth's Warming Everypony.
Astral: Happy Hearth's Warming!
Me: And Happy Holidays Probies. May your stockings be full and your stomachs even fuller.
Astral: Can I have more cookies, Dad?
Nexus: Later.

Comments ( 29 )

It was okay
have a potato (:)
:moustache

3668188
Thanks. :twilightblush: This kind of stuff isn't usually my forte`.

You are welcome
You tried your best and you will learn more about this Do not worry about it :pinkiehappy:

Honestly i dont plan on writing another like this. Like the description says . Its a one shot christmas fic so its not meant to be amaazing. Its just festive.3668873

Good to know also
are you Roman Bellic

3670382
I figured :rainbowlaugh:
Just joking

3671292 I'm gonna level with ya. I forgot that useless f:rainbowkiss:ks name and then I checked.

3671350 I know
EVERY FUCKING TIME
he wants to go bowling even when I am getting chased by the cops No RoMan I am busy:twilightangry2:
I hung out a few times with him but only because he was annoying the shit out of me and so I can get free taxi rides
POOR NIKO

3671350
Okay
Also you can seem like a cool person

3671385 I either come off as an ass hole or funny. So i guess you hit the ladder.

3671448 Maybe asshole funny?

3671454 I always say i'm the nicest ass hole you'll ever meet. :rainbowdetermined2:

3672810 So what are some down sides of Nexus' Hearth's Warming? Always open to critiques. :pinkiehappy:

Honestly I am not good at these things but here we go: the flow was okay when I was reading it I felt it did not go off the boat but I noticed some errors I think:fluttershysad:

3675103 gramatic, spelling, plot? answer me man! :flutterrage:

3676093
Okay I will give one Plot. It was okay but it can be a little better
:fluttershysad:

3676189 i thought so too, but it's just a two day thing with a small set of characters in their normal life. not killing creatures of Tartarus, not defeating evil, just their normal life. i thought it would be good to show a bit more of Nexus' non military side and give Dust Strom some much needed screen time as well.

3676202 I am surprised that you are replying to my comments. It is not bad but I am surprised that is all.

3676471 I'm a small time writer on winter break durring their senior year of high school. you think i have anything better to do today?:derpytongue2:

3676473 and thanks for answering my question

3676503 Any time. Stay Brony my friend.

3676506
You too
Also I wonder what would happen if Trevor from GTA 5 lands in Equestria?

3682291 Exactly
Trevor being Trevor and believing the government is after him.
Remember this Do not fuck with Trevor ever. 2. Do not joke about him being Canadian. He is a redneck Canadian

Login or register to comment