• Published 15th Dec 2013
  • 7,942 Views, 2,475 Comments

Final Solution - Luna-tic Scientist



Direct sequel to Days of Wasp and Spider. SF/no humans: rebellion, mind control, pre-apocalypse.

  • ...
20
 2,475
 7,942

PreviousChapters Next
18 - The Lights in the Sky are Battlestations

Author's Note:

A crude dramatis personæ can be found here.
Preread by: turol and KMCA.
In story exchange with:
NoeCarrier (Ninety Nine Nectars of Princess Luna) and Caliaponia (Just Passing Through).

Chaos was almost glad of the slow rate of organic processes. Events had proceeded along lines that were close to its original intent, but there was, however, a potential problem. Its initial contact among the quadrupeds, the one that self-identified as Fusion Pulse TC4668, worried Chaos. That particular organic had been efficient at teaching the automata wormhole commands to others of its kind, and its kin was also proving to be an effective disruptive agent among the bipeds... but the relatively rapid spread of the wormhole function was now giving the quadrupeds too much of an advantage.

It was fortunate indeed that the pair of quadrupeds had failed to transfer their deep-level connectivity to any others of their own kind. Those particular subsets of automata were only taking instructions from one particular mind, if that ability had spread at the same rate...

The problem was not intractable, but the solution did present some degree of risk. Although its decoy was still proving to be a distraction for the Guardians, they were starting to adapt to its strategies and movements; Chaos had needed to partition more of its own intellect into that remote part of itself. Especially troublesome was the one it had maimed during its disastrous attempt to fight rather than to run. This Guardian, the one Chaos had labelled Scar, was in constant communion with its fellows, and wherever it passed, those Guardians became more difficult to deal with.

This rise in difficulty could be modelled, and Chaos had done just that: without a more permanent solution, this whole pocket universe might become inhospitable. It cast outwards, feeling the subtle variations in the quantum foam, all the myriad impressions of other domains sitting just behind the brane walls, waiting for it to find a way to reach them.

Long moments of introspection passed while, on the planetary surface, the ripples of multiple wormhole transits spread through space-time, easily detectable by Chaos' distributed self. Parts of it watched the creeping failure of armour and other condensed-phase materials under the lash of metal moving at multiples of the speed of sound in the solid state; at those speeds the atoms could not move out of each other's way, and ablated into energetic plasmas with a variety of interesting emission lines.

The Guardians, at least those not patrolling randomly or pursuing the decoy, seemed to prefer to linger near the original pair of quadrupeds. The reason was becoming painfully obvious. Every time it visited to check on this project's progress, Chaos found that the taste of their minds had shifted a little closer to that of the Stones. It was getting to the point where anything more than the most fleeting interaction risked entrapment, and Chaos spun and twisted in the quantum foam, hunting for a way to remove this new threat. For long moments it watched the quadrupeds steal their kin from the bipeds, becoming more alarmed as the numbers mounted.

It would be a disaster if the two unusually skilful quadrupeds were able to teach their combat and relocation functions to that many others, but getting close enough to terminate the minds would be too difficult. Perhaps...

Chaos sampled the bipedal minds connected to the unfolding events, following the strands of electromagnetic communication and direct, acausal automata-to-automata links, modelling the control hierarchy amid the military forces in the area. Here was the force commander, obvious by the thick and converging web of data, in an aircraft at high altitude, here was a team of soldiers entering the lower levels of the quadruped's breeding structure, but there was a scientist, one Chaos had touched before. The creature was working with a group of its fellows, connected to a data network that was tracking the slow-motion fight.

The location was distant from the Guardian swarm, so there was nothing stopping Chaos from sinking deep into the biped's mind and moving a complete neuronal duplicate into the quantum foam. The biped almost had the right answer, but almost wasn't good enough. During complex events such as this, a single idea could be made to propagate to a great extent -- if delivered at the right time and in the right way. Rapid simulations followed, prodding the uploaded mind along different pathways to test the results of any manipulation, then it was reset and the experiments started again. Long milliseconds passed, enough time to run thousands of scenarios with hundreds of parallel copies, before Chaos was satisfied. It wiped every version of the mind, then leaned into the real one and twisted--

===

Vanca watched the assembled pack of Security's technical staff occupying the nearest quadrant of the situation room and curled her lips to expose sharp, white teeth. This lot would never survive in academia, she thought. They have spent too long in the protected shelter of secrecy... this one would like to see even one of their research conclusions get past a proper peer-review. At the moment, most of the group's effort was going towards finding strategies to deal with the rogue currently reducing the Pit to slagged rubble.

The chamber was a large one, and outfitted with every convenience needed for large-scale command and control. Bowl-shaped and ringed by arrays of flat screens, it was centred on a substantial thaumographic display. The various Security teams occupied quadrants in the desk-strewn torus -- all with their own sets of screens and paraphernalia -- and the place hummed with the steady chatter of urgent voices. Vanca sat a little apart from the others; every Person present knew she was a prisoner, and they kept their distance from her and the Security minder shadow, as if afraid of contamination.

The academician shivered. Quite where she was, she didn't know, but it obviously wasn't the Pit; even the deepest parts of that installation would be rent by tremors by now. The data she could see, coming back from personal comms units and sensors seeded by the few remaining troopers, was quite unbelievable. Vanca had seen the truth almost a kilosecond ago; there was nothing at the Security base that could slow the rogue down without Arclight. Or the Hammer. Her eyes drifted to one of the conference suites, walled off behind sheets of glass made hazy by privacy systems embedded between the layers. What was going on inside that room was no mystery, though. The head of the World Court's Audit Team was in virtual discussion with members of the Synod and Security heads of staff, a meeting that was obviously getting quite heated, if the sharp movements of the figures inside were anything to go by.

Involuntarily, Vanca glanced up at the ceiling. Somewhere above, up past the layers of armourcrete, service levels, storage bunkers, and just plain dirt and rock, was the Hammer. She snorted and shook her head. Luna won't be above the horizon for another ten kiloseconds; this one has at least that long to live. Any thought that the command room, no matter how deeply buried, would survive the World Court's ire, should events go that badly wrong, wasn't even worth considering. Even now, Vanca expects the accelerator is running, those thousand-tonne projectiles flicking around the moon's equator and ready to be released...

She sat a little back from the scrum and rubbed her muzzle with her paws, listening with half an ear to their prattling. It was distracting, but there was little chance of being allowed to have her own space to work. Sighing, she thought back over her work to this point, all of which was focused on the theoretical requirements for transit through a macro-scale wormhole. It was because of this that her Security minders had put her to work examining methods to block the servitor's method of transport.

The display in front of her played a looped video of the three servitors arriving in the Pit's hangar. It wasn't the best of images, but had been put together from the dropship's missile-defence sensors, which were at least blessed with a high frame rate. On it, a brief spherical distortion, like the sudden appearance of a globe of glass, made the background of relaxing gryphon troops swim and change almost beyond all recognition. "The space-time curvature must be intense," she muttered, tapping the screen with one claw, then expanded a section with a gesture. The distorted globe-image only appeared for a single fleeting frame; after that there was a flare of violet light -- the flash completely overwhelming the simple camera -- then the three ponies had appeared. She ignored the subsequent thaumomagnetic pulse event; there was far better data from the pulse that had destroyed the Institute. Switching back to that single useful frame, Vanca made a few measurements of the distortions, trying to calculate the geometry of the exotic matter required to create the effect.

The main screen, an over-sized three-dimensional synthetic view of the airspace above corral twenty-seven, currently looked like a scene from a war drama... one leading up to armageddon. Tiny models, highlighted by unit designators and other more esoteric icons, flew in complex orbits at a variety of altitudes, covering all possible aerial approaches to the tiny cluster of brightly-coloured shelters on the ground. Other icons clustered amid the shelters, the things they represented too small to see at this scale. Secondary screens showed these details, but Vanca steadfastly refused to examine the far more personal violence taking place on them.

Something new appeared in the display volume and the models reacted like a kicked nest of wasps. Vanca leaned forwards, fascinated, all her own work forgotten, as a smooth teardrop-shape manoeuvred violently, lances of coloured light reaching from it to strike the nearest attack carrier. Warnings flared, and the carrier's attendant cloud of status markers changed from green to amber, but it didn't fall. Another lance of light, just one this time, and faster than the previous shots, sprang out and caught the carrier amidships. A groan, a near simultaneous exhalation from a hundred throats, ran through the silent watchers as the carrier broke apart in a series of internal explosions.

The other aircraft in the flight finally responded, green laser threads striking the intruder while railguns were brought to bear, but their target didn't die either. Glowing like an emerald star, the object abruptly vanished. "Vanca really created a monster, didn't she?" Agent Lilla said from behind the academician's shoulder.

Vanca spared her Security minder a glance, lip curling once more. "This particular monster is all Security's making." Lilla started to speak, but Vanca cut her off with a sharp wave of a paw. "...and no, it is not dead." A slow motion replay of the last moments of the battle appeared on one of the big flat screens; it clearly showed a pulse of violet light mixed in with the green. "The creature will be back."

"Arclight six is weapons free." called out one of the techs controlling the master display, just as more designators appeared.

Let's see how smart that servitor is... Vanca thought, as the pair of aircraft that comprised Arclight six held their thaumic arrays in standby mode and focused on the place where the pony had been. ...smart enough, obviously. An airtank in a completely different area detonated, then there was another flash of violet light and the pony was gone, long before the Arclight beams converged on that new site. Vanca let some of her breath out, realising she'd been just as caught up in the fight as the rest, then turned her back on the big display and returned to work.

===

"No more Blessings, starting now. Control over our own breeding. The immediate cessation of all experimental work involving ponies and gryphons. I know ponies are vital to your industry and civilization, so we will still work for you, but on our terms. Make us your partners, not your slaves."

The room was silent for a moment, then erupted into shouts and curses, the majority of faces filled with revulsion and hate. What the Maker... She smiled a bitter little smile and felt her stomach clench. Obvious in hindsight, she thought, listening to some of the exclamations; one of the favourites was 'an affront to the Maker'. What does this one believe? Certainly not that anymore. This one had forgotten how prevalent the belief is.

She thought back through her early life and how science had supplanted her parent's, and the Church's, teachings. Many of this one's colleagues think the same way as Vanca, but not the general population. She stared up at the servitor, now occupying one of the big flat screens. The view was distorted by the wide-angle lens, and the creature loomed over the room; one eye was a flat white and quite unsettling to look at. Such a good simulation of sapience; it almost sounds like a Person.

A very good simulation. So good that this one could almost believe... In a daze, Vanca felt behind her for the chair, then sank down into it. This is what a servitor really thinks like, given a mind not manipulated by the Blessing. What if they truly are sapient, what if they really are people, and not just smart animals... She bit down on her tongue, willing the pain to give some clarity to her thoughts. How many servitors has Vanca killed in her experiments? This one never took the time to talk to the creatures; that was always Korn's job. This is why he acted the way he did... he saw the truth before Vanca did. Shoulders sagging, she lifted her paws to her eyes and pressed hard on both sides of her muzzle. This one sounds like one of those Maker's Path fanatics. Where is the Student now? Is he still in Naraka with that pony?

There was a tentative tap on her shoulder, which she ignored. "Academician Vanca? The Synod wants to know if the servitor's threat is real. These ones have--"

"How should Vanca know?" she snapped, glaring at the person standing a few paces away. Vanca didn't know his name, but he was one of the researchers. Behind him were a few others, all looking at her like she was their saviour.

"What about those detector things Vanca designed? Can't these ones use them to find out where the bomb is being hidden?" Lilla said, ignoring Vanca's glare when it was turned on her.

"The range isn't good enough; too much noise--"

"Then the Academician can at least reduce the search area," Lilla said, gesturing to a map of Lacunae territory on one of the many screens.

"And who's to say the other rogues are not in some other Hive's lands?" Vanca snarled, standing up and jabbing at Lilla's chest with one claw.

The Agent looked down at the paw, eyes narrowed, then smiled, an expression that seemed to contain more teeth than even one of the People should possess. "Then that's their problem, isn't it? If the pony can do what it says, then it will be war. At the very least, the World Court will allow Baur to retaliate, before placing the whole of Lacunae into administration. If Vanca thinks an audit will be bad, direct administration will effectively make us a puppet state to be strip mined by whichever Hive teams they choose... much-vaunted World Court neutrality or no. We will cease to exist." Her smile vanished. "Imagine living in an arcology under Baur rule. This is not something this Agent wants to experience."

Vanca stared at Lilla, her jaw working. "Propaganda. This one has seen those reports. Those stories are just... stories, put about by Security as an excuse for its activities. They have a monarch, but this one can't believe things are that bad--"

"Vanca isn't privy to the primary sources. If she thinks Security is restrictive, then Vanca hasn't seen anything."

The academician balled her paws into fists, ignoring the pain as her blunt claws dug into her palms, then looked back at her workstation. This one really wants to talk to the servitor and find out how it does what it does... but it will never talk to Vanca now, not after what-- Her breathing accelerated. No. Cannot think about that. With one shaky paw, she called up the complete list of detected teleport jumps, staring at the list without actually seeing it. "This one will work on the problem. Come back in..." Jaw half open, she trailed off, a sudden idea appearing half-formed in her mind.

There was a pattern to the jumps. No, not a pattern, but an underlying limitation. There, when the blue one had jumped inside the Security Hub... it could have appeared anywhere, but it chose the exact same place it had first arrived. And that place... Vanca, paws suddenly trembling, called up one of the intelligence reports she'd glanced at earlier. There. It was the exact hangar that Fusion Pulse had visited Random Walk for training.

That is the only place in the Pit that Fusion Pulse has seen. She went through the rest of the records. The airspace over their home corral -- highly familiar. Naraka -- visited by that medic, Spiral Fracture. Security had said the ponies can see through each other's eyes, so it may have been possible for the medic to show Fusion the location. Vanca sat back, gaze switching to the giant face of Fusion on the main screen. The sound was off, but it was having a heated discussion with someone, if the ear position was anything to go by.

The servitor is bluffing... Vanca opened her mouth to tell Lilla, but froze. This one almost wants it to succeed. Its terms are reasonable, considering what has been done to its kind. Given the power it possesses, it could easily have just gone on a rampage and been near-impossible to stop, yet it didn't. Despite everything, it is trying to negotiate... it just doesn't understand what it is up against. Not for the first time, Vanca wished for the purity of science-driven policy decisions.

In the end it won't make any difference. She sighed, looking at the list of ponies assigned to the now-empty corral; many worked in the Hive industrial zones, and several paid regular visits to various Lacunae arcologies. Perhaps it will pick a military target... the desire to preserve life is obviously strong, and nuking an arcology wouldn't actually help them. Perhaps this way Vanca will get to talk to the creature after all. She inhaled deeply, then waved over the other academic, who was still waiting a few paces away. "Listen carefully to Vanca. There is a pattern..."

===

Laika hooked one paw around the foot loop and looked out of the maintenance bay's small window, her tool kit floating on its short tether by her side. The vast plane of Solar Transmission Authority Reflector number five showed distorted images of the rest of the debris ring coupled with patches of the planet below. Sunlight glared off the fine control guys and trusses that linked the flexible mirror-panels, making it look like the world was trapped within a yellow-hot spider's web. The view was mesmerising, and it was possible to lose large chunks of time to just watching.

Half in orbit and half in powered flight, STAR-5 surfed the currents of photons streaming out from Celestia, balanced on the edge of the planet's shadow-cone, and sending the portion it intercepted back down to the surface. That came with a price in terms of momentum, and the heliostat spent its 'off kiloseconds' -- when Lacunae was over the horizon -- feeding smelters in orbits that allowed it to correct its own position.

The view downwards was more interesting and far easier to interpret. Sunlight striking the command and control pod that hung below the mirror like a seed below a dandelion's parasol made seeing the delicate sprays of night-time lights impossible, but the multiple illuminated areas were easy to spot. Fifty heliostats were currently working Lacunae territory, the two hundred-kilolength patches of reflected daylight showing up as circles of brilliant green against the darkness. One was moving, flashing white as it crossed a snowy mountain range or sparkling off some lake or river, finally coming to rest on one of the many farms.

"If Laika has finished with the view, it would be good if these ones could have full control of petal fifteen's tensioning system."

The voice was sweet and light, but Laika was well familiar with her supervisor's tone. "Yes, Dezik. This one was just checking the alignment of the mirror segments by eye," she said, turning carefully and smiling at Dezik. The deputy engineer was young for her rank, and ambitious. That shapely frame and striking brown-and-cream blotched coat hid a sharp mind that had little sympathy for any weakness. Especially if it made her look bad. "After all, if the feedback mechanism can't be trusted--"

Dezik snorted and shook her head, arresting the slight twisting motion that created with a touch of a paw against one of the ubiquitous grab-rails. "This is not the first time Laika has been caught doing this. This has affected the Technician's work... The problem should have been fixed by now."

Placidly, Laika smiled back, stopping the expression from changing to a wide grin as she saw irritation flash across Dezik's face. "This one is nearly done; she was just waiting for the internal calibration to finish." A legitimate reason for not working; that is bound to be frustrating. She waved at the diagnostics display, currently showing a schematic of petal fifteen and its multitude of control lines. Most were coloured green, with the remaining few red lines changing hue as the system checked each one in turn. There was a tingle at her wrist, and she glanced down to read the message that scrolled across her comms bracer's display. What? Things are that bad? She schooled her expression back into one of polite contrition as Dezik spoke again.

"And Laika couldn't have found something useful to do in the meantime? What about the--"

With a quick motion, Laika tensed her legs and struck out with one paw, the digits held rigid and claws outstretched, stabbing them into Dezik's throat. There was a nasty snap, and the impact knocked the supervisor away from the paw-hold and sent her tumbling in the space. Paws at her throat, she made choking noises, near silent even in the deserted maintenance bay. A quick jump put Laika at her side, and she unclipped Dezik's comms bracer, setting it to 'do not disturb', before pitching it to the other end of the chamber. Paws moving weakly at her crushed throat, Dezik stared at Laika in horror, trying to speak. "Sorry about that," she murmured. "Duty calls."

Laika towed Dezik to the window, making sure her increasingly frantic motions didn't send her bouncing around the room, and dug through the tool kit for certain items that had functions not part of their declared design specifications while, by her side, Dezik quickly stilled and became limp. Work complete, Laika patted her on the shoulder and jumped back to the console, plugging a portable terminal into it. A few nonstandard commands later and it had infiltrated the mirror control system, taking advantage of the backdoors she'd installed megaseconds ago.

A quick push and Laika was drifting towards the hatch, while altering her very special thaumic probe with one paw. Now through and into the transfer tube, she closed and locked the hatch behind her, fusing the mechanism so it couldn't be opened without cutting equipment. There were a hundred lengths of pressurised tube between the maintenance hub and its massed mirror control lines, and the actual control station. While she drifted, touching the walls on occasion to correct her path, Laika tapped out a message on her bracer, sending it off to a dating site specialising in mature couples.

A dozen replies to the post followed, and the systems buried in the bracer extracted her updated orders. It was the comms location of a satellite she knew to be part of the military command and control network, and Laika nodded. They want full remote override. At least the target has to be inside Lacunae territory, given where STAR-5 is... now this one just has to wonder why we need to go this far. The final hatch was approaching fast, and she held the thaumic probe loosely in one paw, while flipping her body over and landing feet-first on the hatch. A flick at the controls and Laika was through and making her way along the corridors to the control room. There were a few other people on the short route, all known to her, and she greeted them with friendly nods.

The control room, a small space lined with screens showing the mirror array and with only enough tie-downs for the two operators, was at the centre of the heliostat. She closed the hatch, smiling when Tsygen, the World Court representative, turned and frowned. "Technician Laika knows that she's not supposed to--" Laika squeezed one of the controls on her thaumic probe just so, and a tensioned-fullerene needle flicked out and punched a tiny hole in Tsygen's sternum. It was little more than a pinprick, but the operator convulsed, blood pooling between his sharp, white teeth. Air leaked from Tsygen's nostrils, bringing with it more blood that sprayed out in shining droplets, and he didn't inhale again.

Laika quietly locked the hatch to the control room, jamming the lock so it couldn't be opened from the outside. "Please, don't..." The other operator, a Lacunae national by the name of Gordo, held up his paws and shrank back from the controls.

"Don't worry; it's very quick." The concealed gun twitched in her paw, firing another needle, this one into Gordo's throat. "This better be worth it," Laika muttered. "The World Court will not be amused." She checked the system status panels, then connected her comms bracer to one of the consoles. The display shifted, controls going dark as they were subverted by the satellite she'd linked to. On the screens the mirrors started to move, the tensioning cables shortening far more than they were supposed to for this orientation, while the whole heliostat started to shift. Alarms sounded, but she cleared them and watched as the system moved well past its focal length and orientation parameters, all safety cut-outs overridden by the alterations being made to the control software.

Someone started to pound on the hatch, but Laika ignored it and focused on the displays. One screen showed the dark surface of the world, with one of the bright circles shifting rapidly across its surface. The spot stopped at a new location, then started to contract, brightening all the while.

===

Nalka, pressed against the window of the airtruck by the crush of bodies, looked out over the darkened expanse of Naraka. Down in the wide collar of forest that surrounded the inner ring of fields were occasional glimmers of pastel light, little firefly flares that illuminated the clearings. The sight was curiously calming, even as she listened to the unsteady warble of the overloaded airtruck's ducted fans. At least someone is having a better night than Nalka, she thought, then the slight smile faded. "Has anyone thought about evacuating the servitors who are here for their procreation sessions? This one can see that the covering glades are still occupied."

"This one tried, but Security is blocking our comms," said Bellui, up front in the pilot's seat. His voice, tense and distracted, trembled slightly. "These ones are still instructed to hold our position and not to land... Bellui doesn't like the readings from the starboard fan set, but they don't care that this thing might fall out of the sky by itself."

She lifted her eyes from the ground, following the moving lights of the other four airtrucks, two of which were large cargo models; these appeared to be having more trouble than their own vehicle, with obvious dips and wobbles of their flight paths. There had been no one on the night staff really trained to operate the big vehicles, and being able to fly a normal aircar didn't really prepare you for those lumbering things. Fly them they had, though, packing the cargo bays with scientists and engineers in a bid to leave before the pony -- or the gryphons it had released -- killed them all.

"It looks like Olam is making a break for it, Bellui wonders what..." There was a pause, the grim silence in the airtruck becoming deeper. "Wait, this one can see--" There was a gasp, and the deck tilted, pushing Nalka into the window-frame. In the distance, one of the lights that had been heading directly away from the pyramid abruptly brightened and turned into an expanding spray of fire. There was a collective gasp from the rest of the passengers, and whatever else Bellui was trying to say was lost in the sudden panicked gabble of shouts and screams.

Nalka turned her head away, staring down at the fields and trying to shut out the rising panic. Can't get away and can't go back. There's no escape. A calm settled over her, then she blinked in wonder as the darkness below was abruptly replaced by brilliant sunshine. What... The fields, empty now the subjects were inside for the night, grew brighter and brighter, until they were painful to look at. Heat started to seep through the window, and she raised one paw to touch it in confusion. She closed her eyes, colourful afterimages dancing in the red-lit darkness, as the temperature suddenly jumped and the cabin filled with smoke.

The airtruck accelerated and twisted violently, trying to escape the concentrated sunlight, but something failed in the already overburdened drive train. There was a sudden mechanical shriek from beneath her paws, loud enough to drown out the screams and shouts from the passengers, and the aircraft dropped, completely out of control. "The levitation drive has failed!" Bellui shouted. The cries of distress redoubled, but Nalka was transfixed by the scene through the window.

The sky was alight; a great contracting cone, made visible where the scattered dust and smoke in the air was caught and heated, stretched down from the heavens. Below them was a circle of illuminated ground, centred on the Naraka pyramid, that was steadily tightening. In this zone the ground flashed into instant flame, trees and bushes exploding like they were the flimsiest tinder, great streamers of smoke and flame pulled inwards by the building firestorm. At the very core of the conflagration was the black pyramid, the once-polished sides marred by the sudden blossoming of explosions. The whole structure had softened, the sharp edges blurred and rounded as molten rock started to flow.

The ground, shadowed now that the cone of light had contracted past their orbit, still glowed with the embers of a thousand fires, and rushed up to greet the airtruck, striking it and plunging Nalka into a permanent darkness.

===

"The Security forces below Naraka are still holding their positions," Orgon said, one paw coming up to touch the burns on the side of his muzzle, "but the pony must ask the other one, TP5325, to stop its attacks on Lacunae aerial forces."

"My sister has a name, Sector Chief!"

The dog's ears flicked. "...yes. If Gravity does not stop its attacks, it is likely that any negotiations will fail."

Fusion gritted her teeth and nodded. It had taken an inordinate amount of time to get even this far. She reached back through the sharing connections for her sister, feeling the rush of air past over-heated feathers and seeing the flicker-flash of exploding superconductors in the darkness. A feeling of fatigue as a lenticular aircraft spun nearby, sheared in half and trailing smoke and fire, while magic probed its innards and extracted bundles of metal needles. A familiar pattern was formed, then Gravity pushed--

The connection shut off suddenly, and Fusion sighed inside and hunted for Gravity again. This time the air was quiet, and she was surrounded by massed ranks of stolen railgun projectiles. The wind was cool and refreshing, a salve for sweat-soaked flanks that stung from a multitude of small burns and cuts. Grav, don't jump. I'm talking to the dogs about--

They've got Scalar and Elliptic. The rest of the corral is clear, but they were taken before I could reach them, Gravity snapped.

Along with the thoughts came a wavering image of frightened ponies in the back of an airtruck, each with a suppressor ring over their horn. Fusion's stomach twisted. Do you know where they are?

No. Still looking. Got to find the airtruck before it gets to a tunnel nexus.

Please try not to destroy any more Security aircraft. I am talking with one of the dogs in charge, and we might be able to negotiate with them.

I will not stop! The dog on the ground tortured Elliptic to get Scalar to give up our plans... you know what will happen to them!

Fusion nodded to herself, ignoring the slightly nervous look Orgon was giving her. Keep looking. I will try from this end. Her brows furrowed and she glared at the Sector Chief. "You have two of my ponies. Give them back or I will not be able to stop Gravity."

"This one doesn't--"

"Do not try to lie to me!" Fusion snarled. "Scalar Product and Elliptic Curve were flown away in a Security airtruck from my home corral after your forces attacked." Her jaw worked and she leaned forward, dipping her head towards the camera on Rthar's comms bracer. "I have seen what you did and how many innocents died, and I will not have Scalar and Elliptic in your paws."

"One moment, this one is not privy to all operational details--" He cocked his head and pressed one claw on the earpiece, but his eyes never left hers." His ears drooped. "That event did happen, but the airtruck in question suffered a near miss from a missile detonation and is believed to have crashed. These ones have not had any contact with it, and the search will get underway as soon as combat operations can be paused."

Fusion hesitated, trying to read Orgon's expression. Ever since she'd started to speak to the dog, there had been little in the way of useful facial cues, and she suspected that what was there was only there because Orgon wanted it to be. Gravity? she thought, but the mare had gone again. "My sister will join your search. Keep out of her way and she may not attack you in return."

"That is scarcely a reasonable--" Orgon broke off, and for a moment Fusion thought she saw a flash of anger, then it was gone. "Very well. Under the circumstances, Security will not fire unless attacked first."

Trying to pin down Gravity for long enough to tell her the news was like trying to catch smoke, so Fusion left that job to Lilac. "You know what I want, Sector Chief."

Orgon nodded. "This one does, but the pony does not understand how hard a task this will be. It should be prepared for long delays, as not all the decisions can be made by Lacunae. The World Court has overriding control over servitor legislation, and the Blessing is part of their minimum requirements. Then there is also the issue of removing existing Blessings, and what that will do to the ponies in question. Some will have been under the Blessing for several gigaseconds, and it is not known what effects that will have..."

Fusion felt her knees wobble as Orgon carried on speaking, and she made a conscious effort to stop from sinking to the floor. So much! I never even considered that other Hives might get involved -- and I could never stop at just Lacunae's ponies. "One step at a time, Sector Chief. You have halted the advance of your forces, but now I want you to pull them ba--"

Fusion's mouth snapped shut as a great weight descended on her magic, an effort to crush her power from the outside. The sharing links wavered and failed, the distant feelings of other evaporating and leaving her alone in her head. She dropped Salrath and the captured gryphon, the latter flapping his wings and falling heavily to the ground when they didn't bite the air the way they were supposed to. Salrath curled into a ball and rolled away, coming unsteadily to her feet with a snarl, then bolting for the door.

In the haze of effort it now took to hold onto her connection with the sun, Fusion staggered sideways to intercept the Agent, but the gryphon jumped her, beak closing around her throat and armoured talons wrenching at her foreleg, She staggered, gasping for breath as the gorget partially collapsed, then rolled forwards to fall on her struggling attacker. No! She can't-- Ignoring the gryphon, she reached out for Salrath with her magic, but the simple spell, something she'd been able to use near-instinctively from when she'd been a foal, was weak and feeble. The Agent struggled in her grasp, wriggling wildly, then slipped free and was away down the corridor.

Ellisif was moving within moments, bowling the gryphon over and gripping him at throat and amputated gun mount. In a single fluid motion she slammed his head into the floor, then threw him to land in a heap under one console. Another jump had her at the other dog's side -- he'd made his own dive to reach the pistol Fusion had taken from him -- and she swept his legs out from under him, then wrapped one set of talons around his head, the others splayed to be driven into his eyes.

"Don't kill!" Fusion wheezed, the fine aurora-coloured strands of her mane dimming and shading towards pink. She fought the pressure, applying what she'd learned from Gravity's encounter with this weapon and holding on to a tenuous link to the sun. There was a rumbling groan from somewhere overhead, and a sudden feeling of familiar power, as if Celestia was only just above her head and within reach, but the sucking, draining Arclight weapon blocked her attempts to access that energy.

"I can't keep them both prisoner!" Ellisif snarled, giving the dog a shove that sent him to bouncing off the stunned gryphon. "They were just playing for time!"

Fusion nodded shakily. "Yes. We have to leave; they are doing something above us. I almost expected a missile strike, but--"

"This one will give his surrender willingly," Captain Rthar said, wrapping his paws around the gryphon's armour haul-loops and pulling hard. "Flysoldat Olvir Bergthor will obey this one's orders."

Fusion nodded. "Very well, but--"

"You can't tell me-- Fine!" Ellisif took the little railgun pistol and ripped out the power pack, scattering components across the floor before throwing the remains away. "Get going," she shouted, "one stupid move and I'll rip your Maker-damned head off and feed you to the inmates!" She gestured to the door and Rthar scrambled to his paws, dragging a groggy Olvir after him. "They will have resumed their attack," she said to Fusion, her voice tight, as they both trotted for the door.

"Yes," Fusion said. "I can't see them anymore, but you must be right. I will be able to help a little, but..."

"Understood." Ellisif tapped something on her comms interface. "Svartr, Adigard. Treat this like we are on our own; backup is questionable. The Agent got loose. Kill on sight." She glared at Fusion. "I take it that is allowed?" she said, then snorted at the pony's jerky nod. "Good. What is going on above us? A good earth penetrator warhead would have killed us all long ago."

"I can feel the sun, really strong..." Fusion lengthened her stride; with each step it got a little easier. There was still the sense of suction, but at least she was holding on to her limited remaining power without expending too much extra effort. At most I'm as strong as a foal just into her magic, she thought, trying to reinforce the shield that was insulating her from the weapon's effects. There's no way I can risk anything complex; every time I try something I lose a little bit of control.

"There was a plan to use the heliostats as weapons," Rthar said, nudging Olvir to keep him moving. They had reached the bank of spiral ramps and were skidding down the slopes. The rumble above was louder, and thick plumes of smoke were starting to spew from the ventilation system. "This one imagines they didn't want to risk giving the pony more nuclear weapons."

"Fantastic." Ellisif gave a single harsh caw of laughter. "Fire from above and guns from below.”

===

Gravity, surrounded by force-field constructs, threw the air behind her. Intense compression heated it to incandescence, leaving her at the tip of a plume of fire that lit the ground a lurid orange. Shockwaves rippled out, shaking the trees and throwing spume up from rivers, as she flew her curved course at a high multiple of the speed of sound. There were plenty of vehicles to examine -- some were even the sort of airtruck that had taken Scalar and Elliptic -- but nothing that contained any trace of pony.

Airtanks and the larger delta-shaped carriers circled the corral in a complex, three-dimensional pattern that reminded her of a swarm of bees, or flies over an animal corpse. Higher up were the unknown vehicles, the ones that were obviously part of the dog's antimagic weapon system; they were not active, but still swam in her shadow sight like they were distant mirages. They are ready to be used... much like everything else. The pattern of smaller vehicles distorted as she passed, bunching to keep as many near her as possible.

She scanned the air and ground, alternating between shadow sight and her normal eyes, but there was nothing that matched what she was looking for. Another tunnel nexus hove into view, but there was no traffic in or out of the funnel opening. Even below, where the deep tunnels normally seethed with activity, there was nothing.

Grav, Fusion has just--

~~~discontinuity~~~

There had been panic in Lilac's mental tone, and Gravity didn't stop to think or even hear the rest of the message. She jumped, the change in air slamming at her body for the brief moment it took for her force field to re-establish itself. Telekinesis, always easier to perform than any other magic, held her body rigid and prevented the huge forces from smashing her into paste.

She was high, looking down on the corral from several tens of kilolengths, and in the midst of the upper echelons of the aerial formations. The ordered patterns of aircraft converged on her, hot green light stabbing upwards as she manoeuvred violently. Air was running out, not so much from the altitude, but from the iron grip she had on her body that prevented her lungs from moving and inertia from snapping bones like twigs. Heat washed over her flanks from glancing hits, but the range was too great for the small mirrors that dotted the airtank's hulls, and they could not put out enough energy to get through her armour. Blue-white flares sprouted from several of her enemies, propelling dark objects that curved to follow her path.

She spat her own weapons back towards the launch points, but there were too many, and the black heat-haze shimmer of the antimagic weapon was reaching for her once more--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--out and distant, staring back at the corral. Further on, over the horizon and in the direction of Fusion's vanished mind, light had bloomed. A slender, glowing column reached down from the heavens, touching down at what must have been Naraka. A mushroom of incandescent smoke sprang up, the distance making it seem small and slow. It glowed a fierce white, lit by scattered light pouring down from above. Fusion, are you still alive? She probed the mental space where the other mare had been, but her magic was swallowed by a now-familiar alien presence, and in the depths of her shadow sight was the tell-tale light-and-shadow glimmer of another of the antimagic weapons. Gravity's stomach twisted, a sick fury filling her eyes with tears. I knew the dogs could never be trusted! What is there left for me if she's gone? Gravity accelerated, reaching for the moons and letting the power flood through her mind and out into the world. Ahead, visible only by shadow sight, a new sun ignited; a harsh glare of magic that was the only indicator of the grinding twist she was preparing to apply to space-time.

The spell, the same one she'd used to down the dropship at the Institute, burst into the real a kilolength from her muzzle tip. She was suddenly falling forwards, accelerating towards the simulated mass like the world had been tipped on its side. The draining pull of the power started to seep into her bones, but she ignored it, pushing the locus away as far as she could. This time she held onto the magic, not giving way to the temptation to put all she had into it, but keeping it at the same level. Mind singing with the effort, she tightened the twist, pulling the synthetic mass in towards an unachievable dimensionless point.

The feeling of falling lessened, but the patch of air where the spell resided distorted slightly, like a patch of free-floating heat haze. She held it, feeling the fatigue get worse, then level off, like she'd been galloping and found some compromise between speed and endurance. Breathing deeply, Gravity gritted her teeth and smiled. Should have done this before... magic is nothing to be feared as long as you don't let it control you. Tentatively, she built another pattern in her head, working around the flood of power that still roared through her. I wonder if I can--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--reappearing a dozen lengths away. There was a surge of dizziness and pain, like a vice squeezing her head as the rushing torrent of energy from the moons had nowhere to go except in, then she found the fraying patterns out in the void. The reins of magic, loosened by her brief absence, snapped tight as she gripped them once more, the brutally simple spell reforming and carrying on with hardly a pause. Gravity jumped again, and the task became a little easier, so she swung about to face the corral and its fleet of aircraft, then pushed--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--and pushed and pushed, making little jumps towards the corral, the spell locus dragged to each new location with a twitch of her will. Each jump took a little more of her waning strength, and the power of the spell, though still terrible, started to dwindle. Have I made a mistake? Should I be trying to kill whatever weapon is doing this? Then what? There is so much stuff in orbit -- can I even find it? The thought was fleeting, barely registering as ahead were the formations of airtanks. They were dispersed and watchful, no doubt already detecting her chain of teleports, their pilots likely wondering exactly where--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--swarming about her, as she appeared in a void within the formations. Courses curved in her direction, but she dragged the immaterial spell locus through their ranks like a scythe through a field of wheat. Airtanks almost a tenth of a kilolength away suddenly veered towards it or lost power and fell from the sky. Those closest to its line of flight, and those dragged within its sphere of influence, simply exploded, detonating with silent blue-white flashes that smote her exposed skin with synchronous pulses of furnace heat, as their superconducting storage banks failed catastrophically. This! This is what I should have done from the start! Gravity laughed, feeling drunk with fatigue and power, rearing in the air as darkness congealed out of nothing to surround her.

The fast-burning streaks of missiles closed towards her, but she batted them aside with flashes of violet that turned white as warheads exploded with flat cracks that reached her out of time with the flashes. Gravity moved again, accelerated past the speed of sound in an instant by the drag of her own weapon. The remaining airtanks scattered, fleeing with the delta-shaped carrier, but she flung the locus in their direction, pushing it square through the big aircraft like a hot needle through wax.

The outriders must have sensed the locus' approach, because they fanned out, firing missiles and railgun projectiles in her direction. Gravity moved, changing course and speed, but there was just not enough time for the weapons to reach her. The magic defences on the delta flared and died before her spell even came into their range, the harsh gravitational gradient pulling some machines from their mounts and disrupting delicate alignments within others. The locus passed cleanly through the rear hull, and the metal crumpled, stretching and falling inwards like it was nothing more than light packing material.

In less time than it took to blink, the whole aircraft was wadded up, wide wings pulled towards the centre, then its own power stores failed. There was a white flash, dazzlingly bright even through Gravity's closed eyes--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--the silent pulse of light lit the land from horizon to horizon, for a moment revealing every flying thing and all the little puffs of smoke and falling debris her attack had left in its wake. Where is it... there! A concentration of aircraft, denser than any other formation, was close by. Airtanks and carriers surrounding something ungainly and oversized, a flying cylinder with wings that looked like it had swallowed a sphere.

The aircraft and its commensals were curving away, accelerating towards Naraka. Is it running? Have I won? There was a moment of joy, then the reason became obvious. It is reinforcing the one attacking Fusion, to protect it from me. Switching to shadow sight confirmed it; a trembling spear of darkness came from this bolus, swinging around to find her, matching up with another from a similar vehicle a hundred kilolengths away. Where the beams intersected there was nothing.

Quick as thought, Gravity flung her region of twisted space-time in its direction, but the patch of darkness found her weapon first. The simple spell, despite all its brute power, unravelled in an instant. Nothing she tried could hold it together -- the distance was too great and the energy of the spell too high -- and for a moment all that power was diverted into the real as random, short-lived arcana. The thaumic wavefront, visible as complex fractals that branched and bloomed like surf blended with time-lapsed flowers, surged towards her and--

~~~discontinuity~~~

--from ten kilolengths away, the slap of uncontrolled magic made her horn and wings vibrate with unsettling harmonics, but Gravity recovered quickly. The swarm of aircraft was much depleted on the side she'd attacked; through atmospheric lensing she could see the distortions often produced by such accidents. The smooth lines of some airtanks had shifted to strange out-growths and excrescences, chaotic fern-like branches that fell apart as the aircraft tumbled. Others had melted, the refractory and unreasonably tough ceramics and alloys turned liquid as if molten, even though they remained at the low temperature of high altitude.

The antimagic weapon was still functioning.

Gravity felt weak; now the heady, drug-like rush of power was gone, the effort of keeping the spell going and under control flooded up from her belly to leave limbs leaden and head aching. I can't get to it, she thought, turning to look at Naraka. The mushroom cloud had grown dramatically, fed from below by a plume of vapour that looked like a giant, upturned rocket motor. I can't kill this one, and I won't be able to kill the other one. It's moving towards Naraka; it will be able to hit me even if I go to help Fusion. Tears of frustration whipped away from her cheeks, scoring stinging lines along her abraded flesh. "I'll make them pay for what they've done to you; I'll burn every dog and every arcology on the surface of this miserable world--"

Eyes suddenly wide, Gravity's breath hitched. Burn... yes, that's it! The sharing link, long ignored as a distraction and never reopened after the last series of jumps, reconnected under her frantic proddings. Lilac, tell me you still have that bomb!

"--no! That cannot be what she intended!"

Trocar's voice was sharp, full of anger and... horror? The rest of Lilac's sensorium snapped into place over her own; the once-empty chambers now filled with the smell and sight and bustle of many, many ponies, all of whom were at least slightly familiar. There was shouting from a score of throats, but the words were obscured by the din and Lilac's attention being on other things. Magic flared, Lilac's own, but was deflected and neutralised by the medic.

"But you heard what she said! You've been watching through Fusion's eyes, just like everypony else here, you saw what was in that place! All those foals were like me. I think... I think that would have been me when my experiments were finished!"

"What good would it do!?" There was frustration in Trocar's voice, and more than a little fear. "To kill so many for no gain other than revenge -- send it to the Pit, like she originally intended. It's a military target and--"

Give it to me! Gravity screamed the thought down the sharing link, and enough of her dwindling power leaked through to stun the others into silence. I can use it to--

Lilac recovered his senses before Trocar, and the bomb disappeared in a flash of pale purple before the medic could focus his magic again. The thing appeared, flicking away from her so fast that she nearly missed her catch, and while she pulled it back, Lilac showed her how to trigger it.

--break this connection here and you have about ten seconds. The sharing flickered and faded, but not before Gravity had the impression of an angry Trocar knocking the youngster sideways.

Later, Trocar. The thought was fleeting, just something filed away for future action. She lined herself up on the inferno that was Naraka, letting the teleport pattern build. Smoke and ash was starting to fill the horizon, a bank of red-tinted storm clouds with a core the colour of flame. By shadow sight the area was a patch of total darkness, connected to the jewels of the antimagic weapons by bars of black haze. Other jewels spun around them, whole constellations of colour, like clouds of fireflies on a warm summer evening -- at least as many as she'd faced over the corral.

Ahead, midway between her old home and Naraka, was the weapon she'd failed to destroy. One chance, Gravity thought, skimming the ground and dragging up a mass of stone and rubble from under the farmland, arranging it into manageable portions. She curved up towards her target, following its path as it moved towards Naraka at just under the speed of sound. Its escorts swarmed nearby, refusing to be drawn to her. In the real world, lights popped and flashed from the defenders, fast points of fire tipped with shadow accelerating in her direction. Too slow, she thought with some satisfaction, her ears folding back.

Climbing steeply, Gravity cracked the sound barrier, guiding the air past her body and massed cargo, pushing her speed higher and higher, until the rush of wind became a howling, screaming thing. For a moment, she stared at the bomb floating before her, serene and dark, showing no hint of the energies it contained, then reached inside and broke the connection Lilac had shown her.

One, two, three, four--

Taking a deep breath, Gravity made the final changes to the waiting magic, then pushed--

~~~discontinuity~~~

PreviousChapters Next