• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,425 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,425

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29 - On Fashion and Romance

The name Carousel Boutique was no accident. Had you slapped on a couple poniequins on the outside and somehow got the building to rotate on its foundations, it would have easily passed for a Victorian carousel. Like many businesses in town, the shop doubled as Rarity’s home as well as her place of business. I always found it odd that Rarity was able to do so well from a relatively rural location. I hadn’t worn any sort of clothing since the trip to Canterlot. I think that might be the one thing that unsettled my father the most. Maybe when I got back I could sit down and have a proper talk with my parents. It was nice to talk to them on Sunday, but I did still feel as if I was neglecting them.

Once again, I was confronted with a door and the ultimate question; do I knock or just enter? I had learnt that Twilight had no problem with people just walking into the library, but Rarity was different, and much more liable to take offense if I picked the wrong one. And so with that, I knocked.

After a moment the door was opened to me and I was met, much to my surprise, by Spike. I had expected him to be at the library today, though I did know he occasionally went to Rarity’s to help her with her work. And in an attempt to woo her. Mainly the latter.

“Hey, Spike. Is Rarity in?” I asked. Subconsciously, I had been struggling not to start calling him Spyro. The infant dragon nodded.

“Yeah, she’s just putting the finishing touches on a couple of her new designs for Canterlot.” He opened the door a little wider to grant me access.

Following Spike into the kitchen, I seated myself at the table, while he went to fetch Rarity. I could hear the tone of their conversation (not that I was eavesdropping) and Rarity seemed more than thrilled that I had arrived.

She walked in with her spectacles still perched on her snout. These were quickly levitated off and placed in their case, revealing a pair of eyes that betrayed a hint of tiredness.

“Oh I’m so glad you could come, darling,” she said as she settled herself. “I’ve just put the finishing touches on my designs. I am ready for Canterlot!”

“Spike told me you had just finished up,” I replied, doing my best to repress my previous accent. “Mind if I have a quick peek? I may not be a fashion guru, but I know a good design when I see it.” For all my intellectual ability, I did not have a clue what I was doing when it came to fashion. However, it seemed that more often than not, following what generally appealed led to a choice that was aesthetically pleasing. But if you asked me to justify my choice, then I was in trouble.

“Oh of course, I’m always looking for a little bit of input, Blade Star. Come on through to my work room. I have the entire collection up there. Actually I was just about to take them off the dress forms. I could use a little…” She didn’t get a chance to finish her sentence.

“I’ll help, Rarity!” called Spike as he sprinted into the room. I am certain that I saw Rarity blush for a moment.


Rarity led me up the stairs to her work room. As it appeared on the show, it was organised chaos. Fabric, drawings and tools were scattered everywhere. But in the centre of the room, sitting on six dress forms, Rarity’s new designs lay pristine and clean, in a sharp contrast to the rest of the room. It was quite strange really, Rarity’s home and business was as neat and tidy as my own rooms back on Sweet Apple Acres, yet the place where she created her brilliant designs looked an absolute tip. This was even stranger when you took her fastidious need for cleanliness into account.

“Here we are, darling. I call it ‘Winter Wonderland’.” The six garments before me were absolutely beautiful. Going with the white snow that would soon cover Equestria for her colour base, Rarity had created a wonderful line. The dresses were long and formal looking in appearance. But, if a stallion may speak his mind, still gave a hint of mystery to the mare that wore it. Rarity had played to her strengths well. The designs had numerous accessories such as glistening tiaras, gem encrusted bands and light blue ribbons adorning the fringes of the dresses. All in all, what I had come to expect from her.

“Rarity, these are beautiful. I know that doesn’t mean much coming from a member of the proletariat like me, but they really are beautiful. Were these for humans, I would have mistaken at least this one for the dress Lizzie wore to her prom.”

“Why thank you, darling,” Rarity replied. “I tried to have each dress reflect the different personalities of winter.” I did my best to hide the confusion I was experiencing, luckily, she explained. “This one for example, is slightly cold looking and icy, intended for business. But this one is a much softer colour giving off a more approachable vibe.”

“Yes, I can see that.” It made much more sense now. “This dress does give off a sort of ‘Ice Queen’ feel doesn’t it?” I briefly explained myself when I realised Rarity probably had never read ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’. “Besides, Ah’ve seen you create a fashion line from bits of a Manehattan hotel room, I’m sure you will have no trouble with access to proper materials.”

“Oh hush, you!” Rarity replied with mock fury. “And anyway, you’re the one coming from a society where clothing is mandatory. I’m just surprised you’re not all fashion experts.” I smiled.

“It’s not as good as it sounds. Most people don’t know anything about fashion, nor do they care about its usefulness.” As beautiful as Rarity’s designs were, they all still had a pocket or two and didn’t look that difficult to move in. “That and not all our clothes are made by people who ought to be making them. There are some countries out there that have children working on production lines to keep costs low.” I recalled how I had felt somewhat guilty when I saw a couple of my shirts were labelled ‘Made in Honduras’. “It’s better to have clothing as something for the elite and special occasions. It makes you appreciate the ensembles more genuinely.”

Rarity seemed a little taken aback by this sudden spout of human thought.

“Yes, I suppose so. Even the finest wine or the most beautiful bouquet does become bland if you partake of them every single day,” she answered. Glancing at the ornate clock on the wall, she started. “Oh no, I was supposed to go to Sugarcube Corner half an hour ago. I need to pick up that thank you gift for Spike. Oh, but I still have to pack all these clothes away in preparation for the trip to Canterlot.” Ever the gentlecolt, I stepped in.

“Relax Rarity. I’ll take him up there; give you some peace and quiet eh?” I said. “So when are we heading off then?”

“We’ll need to catch the overnight train to Canterlot on Wednesday evening, and get there on Thursday. Stay two days there, and then catch a regular train back for Saturday evening.”

“Right then, I’ll just double check with ‘Jack to make sure everything’s okay and then I’ll drop by. Fair enough.” Rarity nodded and as I departed the room, she seemed to have a knowing smile on her features.

I descended the stairs back to the shop floor to find Spike. He’d perched himself on one of the display stands.

“Right oh, Spike. Rarity asked me to take you to Sugarcube Corner; you’re to get a reward for your troubles,” I said, smiling. The dragon quickly got up and followed me out the front door. We both called upstairs to Rarity as we left.


The pair of us walked in silence for a while. I’m all one for quiet but it was just odd that it was Spike who seemed to have lost his tongue. Other than my dad, Time Turner and Big Mac and Shining Armour, Spike was the only male I knew. I think sometimes we all felt a bit outnumbered. As a result, I tried engaging him on that front.

“Ah was surprised to see you at Rarity’s, Spike. Ah’d have figured you’d be at Twilight’s. Weren’t she doin’ another re-sortin’ or somethin’ today?” I allowed my accent to relapse to what had all but become the norm for me. Spike looked up.

“Dude, I know you know. Twilight told me about that show. You don’t have to beat around the bush.” He sighed. “I know I haven’t got a chance with her.”

I was surprised that he had opened up to me so suddenly. His crush on Rarity was his most closely guarded, if not most secretive, of secrets. True, I did know, but I was still startled. However, regardless, I had to counter his last comment. He’d always seemed so confident about winning her before.

“Ah wouldn’t say that, Spike. In fact Ah reckon, with time, she might grow to see you in that way too. Ah mean, okay, she’s not exactly dating you, but she does like you. You should have been there all those times when she was talking about you. Ah saw her blush when you offered to help. Takes a fair bit of work to make a lady like her blush. And what about you, as Ah recall, you saved an entire empire on one occasion. Don’t put yourself down. You never know,” I finished emphatically.

The young drake looked at his feet, thinking.

“Well, she did kiss me that one time. Still probably nothing compared to you, right?” Now here fillies and gentlecolts, is an embarrassing moment. The moment when you realise the total number of times you have kissed a girl, is equal to that of a baby dragon.

“Don’t be so sure, Spike.” And with that, we arrived at Sugarcube Corner. After getting Spike the sapphire cupcake Pinkie had baked for him, which I paid for as a way of paying back Rarity for all her work, we both headed out of town. It was getting quite dark and the moon had already risen. I was taking him back to the library, I’d realised a small errand had had me out of the house for most of the day. But I thought that, as he had pretty much told me everything, it was only proper of me to do the same.

“You know Spike, you shouldn’t be so eager to grow up. It isn’t as fun as it looks. Sure you like Rarity. Hay, she may even be your true love. But not just yet, give it a little time.” Spike nodded in understanding. I still haven’t seen anyone fall so head over heels for a girl. I just hoped that the romanticised drivel I was spouting would come true. I’d hate to see Spike crushed like that, for that would be the outcome if Rarity didn’t return his feelings. I didn’t know much about love, but I did know that it could be dangerous. I did my best to be honest with him.

“Spike, Ah can’t tell you what to do with your life. Nopony can; not me, Twilight, Rarity, not even the princesses themselves. At the end of the day, it’s your call. All Ah’m saying is give it time. Now come on, let’s get you back home.” And with that, we resumed our trek to the library.


Twilight thanked me for bringing Spike back. He’d apparently gone off to Rarity’s at around two o’clock. Understandably, by six, she was getting a little concerned. I explained that we’d been chatting about stuff.

“What do you mean ‘stuff’?” she asked.

“Nothin’, Twi. Just some guy stuff. Ain’t no need for you to go sticking your snout in it,” I replied jokingly. Twilight smiled at me, perhaps clocking on to the possible subjects discussed between members of the opposite gender.

I quickly headed back to Sweet Apple Acres. It was now well and truly dark, though as usual, the moon cast enough light to see where I was going. The Apple Family was just sitting down to dinner when I got in.

“Now where have you been?” Applejack asked as I closed the kitchen door behind me.

“In town, like Ah said, ‘Jack. Ah got the cupcakes right here.” I quickly retrieved the box from where I had left it in the hall. “Ah just got held up a bit with Rarity. Speakin’ of, can y’all do without me next Wednesday, should be back for the weekend?”

“Ah suppose so,” Applejack replied, a little perturbed. “Winterisin’ don’t start ‘till after Nightmare Night; so as long as you’re back before then, I don’t see why not. What do you think, Granny?” She turned to the Apple matriarch.

“Ah see no problem with it,” she replied. “Nothin’ doin’ ‘till those pegasus ponies drop the snow on our heads.”

So, that was that. In five days’ time, I would be off to Canterlot. It would certainly be a better opportunity to visit the city properly, as well as see Luna again. I might even drop in on Dad and Princess Celestia during Day Court. I could put up with the snobs and, while I was not a follower of the world of fashion, it never hurt to learn something new. Even if I did have to play hoof candy for a while.

Author's Note:

This chapter proofread by Sidetrack, my semi-tame Changeling proofreader.

Just a bit of character building for Rarity and Spike prior to the trip to Canterlot. Next chapter, we shall see a character that I'm sure any HiE cognisors will recognise.

As always, you comments and criticism are appreciated.

PreviousChapters Next