• Published 7th Dec 2013
  • 327 Views, 3 Comments

As We Flutter On - Stephen Cloud



A man's life takes a turn for the better as a certain yellow pegasus is introduced to his life, teaching him what is means to be a father.

  • ...
 3
 327

A wall of many colors

Summer break begins tomorrow. Time for old debts to be repaid, and honestly I’ve been looking forward to this. The apartment building was hard work to take care of, especially for one person. Fluttershy tries to help out, but there’s not much she can do. She’s tried to clean a few of the restrooms with disastrous results. It breaks her heart not being able to help, but there’s not much I can do. Maybe I’ll be able to figure something out for her to help with.

Every now and then I’ll see Sammy, we’ll pass each other on the side walk or I’ll see him at the bookstore. I’ve made sure that he doesn’t forget about his debt, but I still wonder if he’ll make it. For all I know he could blow me off, and honestly I wouldn’t do anything. I can’t go looking for him, he has to come out of his own accord.

I looked out the window to see a small figure in a green hoodie approaching the building. “Huh,” I whispered to myself, “he actually came back!” I started to unlock the door which startled Fluttershy, who had been watching cartoons in the living room. “Dad,” she hollered, “where are you going? We aren’t out of food, right?” before I could answer she jumped from the couch and dashed to the kitchen to make sure we had food. I just ignored it, she’ll figure out soon enough, I have to check up with my new “worker”.

The metal steps of the stair well squeaked as I made my way down to the parking lot, a bag of spray paint in hand. Sammy noticed me as I was walking down and hid his face in shame, apparently still feeling guilty about what he’d done. I flashed him a smile as I finished my descent and lifted up the bag of paint over my head. He lightened up a bit and gave me a timid smile in response. We met in the middle of the parking lot, both wearing big smiles.

“So,” I said trying to strike up a conversation,” I hope you’ve kept up your art skills. You’re going to need it.” I tossed him a can of paint which he awkwardly caught.

“Uh, yeah. I’ve been practicing… on paper of course!” he said nervously.

“Right, well let’s get to work!” I replied and grabbed a few cans of paint myself.

For about an hour and a half we were both deeply focused, I would paint one side of the wall as he’d paint another side. Before long I had created an intricate tree, showing its roots deeply underground. I took a step back to admire my work and see what I need to brush up on, when I caught a glimpse of what Sammy was painting.

On his side of the wall were big stained glass windows that portrayed what seemed to be two ponies, each of them opposite to the other. They were very well done and detailed, stunning all though odd. I had seen that one night while Fluttershy and I had been watching My Little Pony, she was so excited to see the first episode of season two.

“Hey,” I said breaking Sammy’s concentration,” where’d you get the idea to paint that?” I questioned.

“Oh um, I don’t know. I can paint over it if you don’t like It.” He said timidly, obviously embarrassed at his work.

“No, no.” I said before he could start repainting,” It’s beautiful, it really is. You did a good job, I was just wondering is all.”

“Oh!” he replied with surprise,” are you one too then?” He said in a hushed tone.

“Am I a what?” I asked with suspicion present in my voice.

“Oh, never mind. I thought you were a…” He paused and lowered his voice a bit, “I thought you were a brony too.” He said in a hushed voice.

My mind thought back to the store employee, who I’d become friends with not too long ago. He had been kind, and he claimed to be a brony. Maybe being a brony would give me something to have in common with Sammy.

“Of course I’m a brony!” I said with enthusiasm to Sammy.

“Really? So you’re cool with this?” he said ad if he misunderstood me.

“Yes I’m cool with this. In fact why don’t you teach me how to paint like that?”

His face lit up and a big grin appeared on his face. For thirty minutes he sat there and taught me how to paint ponies. “You always have to start with the ears…” he said as he demonstrated his technique. Soon enough we were both going away at it, painting ponies of all shapes, sizes, and colors all over the wall. By the end of the day the entire wall was covered, each spot was filled with color. Honestly, it was beautiful.

I sent Sammy home, it was already getting dark, and started to climb the stairs up to my apartment. But as I was ascending the staircase my foot lightly tapped something on the stairs. I looked down to see Fluttershy curled up in a ball, sleeping on the small platform. She woke up, startled by my presence as I lifted her off the cold steps. “Were you spying on us?” I said teasingly, she nodded in response and muttered an apology. She was really tired, I’m guessing that she had been asleep for quite some time.

I had decided that it was bedtime seeing how tired Fluttershy was. She grumbled a bit and let out a soft sigh as I set her down gently onto the bed. I tucked her in and gave her a kiss on the forehead before I went to triple lock my front door as usual. Soon I was falling fast asleep as well. “Dad…” I heard Fluttershy mumble barely audible. “Yes sweetie?” I replied after a moment. “I like your drawings…” she murmured before falling back asleep.