• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 8,775 Views, 400 Comments

Of Consorts and Thestrals - cealdra



The nobles are at it again, this time their plan to get more power backfires as the new princess tricks them. But now she`s forced to marry a comfort mare who`s been abused almost all of her life. How will the two get along. And how will Twily react?

  • ...
30
 400
 8,775

Chapter 4: Getting to know your bride attempt: 1

Unknown to the two, it had been decided to let Twilight and Pleasant Dreams sleep in. They had a long and stressful day. So this time there had been no spot reserved for Twilight on the preparation team. Seeing as it was her own wedding this time.

Still drowsy Twilight had turned a bit, trying to get more comfortable. She hardly could get anymore comfy as she was right now but not for lack of trying. Even in her sleep addled state she had to admit, getting that life size pony plushie with cuddle-enchantment had been a great idea. She had not felt so comfy in bed since waking up sandwiched between Fluttershy and Redheart the morning after her first new years festival in Ponyville.

Sweet Celestia that had been a very awkward moment for the three of them. And the talk they had at breakfast was even weirder. Turned out Fluttershy and Redheart had been together for quite a while, but due Shy`s... well shy nature they never went public with it.

They made her Pinkie promise she would not tell anypony. That was almost two years ago. And they still kept it a secret even today. But that might just change tomorrow. Fluttershy had talked to her when she went to her room the previous night. She wanted to know if her marefriend could come to the wedding as well. She was trying to be secretive. But she was hinting very strongly about taking a big step themselves.

But knowing both the nurse and the caretaker it would not be mariage, but something a bit less drastic. Maybe coming out in public or moving in with each other.

Yet as Twilight's mind started to wake up a bit more she came to a strange conclusion. She did not have a life size pony plushie and certainly not one enchanted to embrace her at night. And even if she had owned one, she would keep it safe in the library and not take it with her to the castle. And to add to the confusion was the fact that said non-plushy seemed to breathe occasionally.

Slowly Twilight opened her eyes, and found herself staring at the sleeping form of Pleasant Dreams who had seemed to have her arms and one of her velvetlike wings wrapped around Twilight. Kinda like how a foal would clutch to their favorite teddy.

Twilight wondered why the mare was not in her own bed. She could have sworn that when they went to sleep they had stepped into separate beds. But the exact how and what could wait.

For now she just wanted to lay in bed. That soft fur close to her, that gentle wing softly brushing her sides and the slow and steady heartbeat made her feel more at ease than anything else. She could feel the stress of the past few days simply fade away. Twilight could now understand why her sleep had been so deep and peaceful.

But as much as Twilight wanted to remain in that comfortable little safezone her internal clock was screaming out to her. Telling her that it was time to get up. And with a very well timed rumble Twilight's stomach seemed to agree with her internal clock.

Slowly Twilight warmed herself out the grip. It felt a bit strange, she had been all but ordered to stay out of the organisational aspect of her own wedding. A part of her wanted to object to the sheer ridiculousness of it all. It was HER wedding after all. Why could she not take part in the preparations for it?

And if she could not be part of the preparations then what else could she do. After all last years royal wedding had been a great success, well with a slight bug problem but that was not her fault honest! Did they not trust her to arrange her own wedding? Did they think she would stress like they had thought Cadence to did?

Did she stress out? Twilight took a deep breath and mentally ran through her stress checklist.
She had made one for herself ever since the want-it-need-it debacle. Sure it was not foolproof as it was only meant to detect it, but it had worked in a few situations.
But as she ran through it she could detect nothing wrong.

Her heartrate was fine, and so was her breathing. Her mental processing was slow. But Twilight counted that to still being tired. All signs where in the green, but then why was she explicitly barred from helping her friends?

A small shift in the warm fuzziness clinging to her gave her a hint before she actually did stress out.
Carefully shifting around in the grip Twilight came face to face with the sleeping form of Pleasant Dreams. It started to make sense. Well atleast a bit more than before.

Maybe they had banned her from doing anything so they could atleast get to know each other on a more closer basis then simply acquaintance. To perhaps sow the seeds of a fragile friendship before they were to be thrust into this. Twilight could work with that. She decided she could definitely work with that.

But just as she was trying to think about things to do, two yellow orbs slowly opened themselves. Within those golden orbs questions could be seen rising in their owners sleepy brain.
“Master? Master why is your coat purple? Did miss Golden Platter convince you to dye it again?”

It only took a few moments before some gears starting to grind. But not in the head of Twilight. Twilight could only be described as confused. Did Dreams really not remember what had happened?

Twilight could feel the wing and hooves retract from her own body. Within moments Pleasant Dreams had fully withdrawn. Her entire attitude was completely different from the mare Twilight had seen stepping into the other bed.

Dream`s head was hanging low, her facial features hidden by her mane. It was almost like she was making her self as small and unnoticeable as she could.
“I`m sorry m`lady, forgive me for mistaken you for the young master. Should I go and fetch thee my lord or would her ladyship prefer breakfast or service alone?”

Those last words rang through Twilight's brain. Did they really mean what she thought they meant?
If that was the case then it was worse than she had expected things to be. They sounded so sincere, but the undertone was automatic to the point of being practiced so often that they were a natural response.
What exactly had the poor mare endured throughout her life?

Carefully Twilight got out of bed and went over to Dreams. Pleasant Dreams herself seemed to withdraw into herself even further as Twilight approached.

Using her hoof Twilight attempted to remove some of the mane from in front of Dream`s downcast eyes with a single soft movement, she did not want to frighten the mare. Or Celestia forbid, give the mare the wrong impression about her intentions. Twilight doubted that Dreams would ever forgive her for something like that. Or it could potentially make this awkwardness even more awkward.

But what she saw shook the very core of her being. The eyes were looking towards the floor. They were open, but they were almost completely devoid of life. The small smile Dreams had worn since meeting her grandparents was also gone, replaced with a neutral expression.

A few moments ago Twilight had thought that maybe Dreams was playing some strange kind of joke on her. But this, this was no joke. That look in the poor mare`s eyes, the sadness and submissiveness. Nopony could fake something like that.

Then it hit Twilight, like the proverbial ton of bricks. Dreams was not acting, she was on completely on some sort of automatic response or something. Like this was the way she was used to, in the same way Twilight herself always went for breakfast before brushing her teeth.

But Twilight's train of thought was interrupted by an insecure voice. Not just insecure, there was fear in it.
“M'lady? Is, is something wrong? Forgive me if I offended you.”

The way she said it, it reminded Twilight about what she had read about abused foals. That nearly everything they said or did could cause them to expect some sort of punishment.

Would this be her life for the next decennial? To wake up with a mare who could not remember her? Who would treat her like she, like she was some kind of superior life form?
Slowly she trotted over to Pleasant Dreams. For the first time since she can remember Twilight's mind was blank.

For the first time she did not know what to do. Pleasant Dreams, the thestral, seemed to have ceased to exist. Replaced by this lookalike. This empty husk.
With a tear in her eyes Twilight simply embraced her fiancé in a light hug, the same fiancé who just sat there. Accepting the hug but not moving a single inch.

They just sat there until Twilight felt something wet falling on her shoulder. Closely followed by the soft shaking of the body she was holding.
As she released Pleasant Dreams from her hug the thestral started the cry fully. Not the few tears she had shed the night before. But full on crying.

But Twilight soon found out that they were not tears of sorrow as it was her turn to feel the soft embrace of another. She could only do the sensible thing her mind could think off.
Reputed to be one of the most brilliant minds of the millenia, and all it could think of was to return the embrace.

When the two finally split apart it was Dreams who spoke first. It was soft, so soft that Twilight had to strain herself to hear it. So soft that it was obvious that it was not to be heard.
“So it wasn't a dream, it really did happen. It is finally over. I'm finally free.”

Even Twilight, who was not the world`s leading authority on reading others, could see what was going to be next few words out of Pleasant Dreams mouth. And it was something she did not want to hear, something that should not even be considered for what had happened.

An apology.

And she would not have it. “Yes Dreams, it is over. After tomorrow you will never again have to do something against your will. Never again will you have to give yourself to anypony if you don't want to.”
Twilight neglected to mention that there would be instances that the two of them would have to perform royal duties. Although she was sure those would be ceremonial and sparse at best.

With a small smile Twilight released her arms from the hug. “So lets just forget it happened. That is unless you wish to talk about it?”

Pleasant Dreams only shook her head in response. But deep within her mind she did want to talk. She did want to explain. But the rational part of her was too powerful, its argument to strong to give in. She had known this pony for less than a day. And while she may seem friendly, she just did not know her well enough to trust her.

“Well then, how about this. You go and get yourself cleaned up a bit. While I go and get us some breakfast up here.”

About half hour later the breakfast Twilight had ordered had been delivered and had also been devoured.
Considering that the kitchen had been closed for about an hour already it was no real feat of importance. But then again, what does a healthy breakfast need besides warm crunchy toast, honey, fresh butter, a pot of tea and some fruit?

Buttering up the last piece of toast it was Twilight who pierced the silence one more.
“Soo........ With nothing but our final fitting tomorrow morning we are kinda left without anything to do.”

Uncertain on how to proceed Twilight took a page out of Dash`s book; why try to be subtle if you can be blunt and direct.
“So I was thinking, maybe we should use today.”

A gentle smile came to Twilight's face as she pressed on. “You know, to get to know eachother better.”
Her smile faltered as she tried to say the next part. But she need not say it as Pleasant Dreams herself finished the sentence.

“Because we're going to be stuck with each other for a good long while?”
Dreams sighed a bit, it had not been what she wanted to do today. That would have been curling up in bed and forgetting what had happened and trying to ignore what was going to happen.

But maybe it was for the best. A supposed new start in life deserved a new outlook in life. It still felt so surreal and like a dream.
After All what poor mare or orphaned filly did not dream about a chance run-in with a wealthy prince who would take them away to a place with golden plates, a place where life would be normal. Where life would be like a pleasant dream.

So resigning to the state of affairs both Pleasant Dreams and Twilight thought for a moment about how to proceed. It was Dreams who spoke up first.
She had an idea of how to spend the day and get to carefully get to know each other a bit better.

It was something simple, something very basic. It would not be like a date or something, but more something friends would do. Like a simple day about town.
“Why don't we each pick a few things to do what we would like to do? And rotate amongst those?”

Twilight simply smiled and nodded before gathering the supplies needed to make a schedule. After all, it would not do if a day like this would not be planned right. That could end up disastrous. Just think about it: a whole day of activities without any sort of planning, one could forget to do something. Or even worse, you could be late for something and thus having the time distributed amongst their activities unevenly.
And that would just not do, not do at all!

A good three hours later the two mares found themselves walking the hallways of the Lunarium, an ancient and highly praised museum which dates back to the founding of Canterlot itself.
It supposed to be one of the finest museums in the country, and it had surprisingly enough been on the list of things to do of both mares.

Twilight had wanted to go there because she always was up to learn things. Whether it was historical or the latest arcane invocations.

To Dreams it had been a dream come true, she had always wanted to visit museum. It had been the secret very little ponies knew, in fact only two knew about it. That the head maid would sneak books from the households small library. True the selection had been little, but the historical novels had been her favorite. They had offered her a temporary escape.
But they also woke an appetite for knowledge. Every time she read something in a book Dreams simply wanted to find out whether or not it could be real, if it could be done as it was described.

And so she learned, although highly limited by the limited supply of decent literature the mansions library, or rather bookshelf, had to offer.

Yet as they walked through the halls they could not feel but be disappointed. Sure it had been decent, but everything felt artificial and simply wrong.
It had begun at the exhibition of the pre-wendigo era. Twilight had been amazed at it.

They had placed obvious Unicornian horn wielded tools with the pegasi and ancient pegasi wing blades served as plow blades in the earth pony slot.
She had to do her best not to march up to the curator and scream her outrage at the fool. Any foal who had ever opened a history-book would know the differences about these things.

But to Twilight's surprise Pleasant Dreams had only stood there giggled at the absurdity of it all in the beginning, moments later the thestral simply bursted out in full scale laughter as if the exhibition had been one of the best joke she had ever heard.
After the fits of giggles and laughter from Dreams subsided and Twilight was sure they would not be kicked out for disturbing the peace, the two mares walked around the museum. Sharing the strangeness of what they saw with each other.

The other visitors had looked at them with angry glares, but the moment they saw the wings and horn of Twilight they dripped off. Not wanting to risk angering royalty. Something the nobles had done well in drilling into the heads of the local populace.

After traversing the halls for a while a rather loud rumbling coming from two sources indicated that their time there was at an end. Though it was no where near to what both had been let to believe they still had enjoyed the time there.
Just in a different way than expected.

With a small burst of magic Twilight brought forth the scroll they had made together. It had taken more time than actually thinking about activities, but in the end Pleasant Dreams had been able to stop Twilight from planning every single minute of the day.

To Dream's surprise the young alicorn had even started to plan sanitarian stops, complete with calculations on how long they would take for the average pony and time needed to travel to and from the restrooms.

The great list of things to do now was just that. A list of things they would be doing, it still had a time schedule. But they were more suggestions than harsh time limits.
The times were merely there to make sure they would have enough time to do most things. And the great list combined with the clock in the entrance hall and their grumbling stomachs indicated that it was now time for lunch.

And the site had been picked by Dreams. It had been quite silly and she was pretty embarrassed when she mentioned it. After all in a city so grand and majestic to even think about eating there with a princess of all things was ridiculous at best.
But never having experienced it herself she had always wanted to simply go to a simple small diner. A place she had heard a lot about by the 'free' maids of the household. Located far from the main restaurants somewhere near the edge of the city. Actually not very far from the Lunarium.
Yet to Dreams' surprise Twilight knew exactly where it was and held no objections to having lunch there.

A small jingle of the bell alerted the proprietor of the diner to new customers as the two mares walked through the door.
The place was practically empty. But that was to be expected as it was more geared towards breakfast, coffee breaks and pastry-deliveries.

While Dreams sat herself down at the nearest booth it was Twilight who went towards the counter to place their order. Twilight had promised the other that she knew exactly what was the best choice to eat there.

Had Dreams known Twilight better she would have poked her in the stomach and commented about the correlation between the slight pudge there and eating at places like this too often. But as much as she'd seen of the alicorn so far, she still did not know how the other would react. Playful jibb or not.

A large stallion with a slight tan coat and a darker but still light brown mane clad in a apron appeared from the back door.
“Its been a while Twilight. What brings you by today? Another crazy mission from Celestia, or perhaps a date with that sweet mare I saw walking in with you? I swear Twilight, every time something odd is going on I end up reading in the papers that you are in the middle of it all.”

The comment didn't caught Twilight of guard. She had expected that Joe would know what was going on in the castle. Afterall, his place was a frequent for many of both the serving staff and the courtiers. Joe knew all the rumors, but fortunately he also seemed to know exactly when to give advice and when to remain silent.

“So I reckon its the usual for you, and what can I get for the lovely mare you brought with you?”

Twilight looked at Pleasant Dreams for a moment, who seemed to be a bit in her own little world right now. Just content to be staring out the window, watching ponies rush by in their haste.
“Yes for me the usual and I think my friend would enjoy your jelly deluxe-assortment.”

A nod and an exchange of bits later and Twilight sat on the opposite side of Dreams waiting for their order to be brought up.
Seeing as Joe only served fresh donuts it would take a while for their order to be completed.

Nearly half their day was gone already and they had only did two things on their list. There was still so much to do, so much to see.
But their list was one to be done over several days, one could even say weeks. Right now they still had two events planned for today. Well three if you included this late lunch.

The napkins Joe had given the two mares had come in handy, well not for Twilight. Her magic allowed her to eat the chocolate frosted treats with almost no smears or smudges.
But Pleasant Dreams on the other hoof, well she was a completely different story.

The poor thestral had her face almost completely covered in jelly. Something Twilight had felt a bit guilty about. Although it made the donuts all the better Joe had a tendency to overfill them. Causing them to burst the moment anypony set their teeth in them.
So one could cause a good mess, but eating six of them was sure to be near catastrophic.

But as Dreams was off to the little filly`s room, in order to use the water to clean the more stubborn spots out of her fur, Joe approached Twilight.
His face a bit flushed and it was obvious that he was having difficulties to form his words. Even if they were spoken to a longtime customer as Twilight it was not easy to ask what he was about to.

“Say umm Twilight? Will that cute pink mare, you know the one with the poofy mane and the million bit smile, be attending the wedding as well?”

You could see the gears turning in Twilight's brain. Pinkie? Of course she will be there. She`s one of my best friends, why would she not be there?
Twilight was about to ask the obvious question when Joe cut her off while nervously shifting from one side to the other.
“Could you, if its not to much trouble that is, ask her to stop by here later this week? There is something I'd like to ask.”


Not getting the implications of the doubtful tone and flustered face of the baker Twilight simply smiled before answering.
“Sure, Pinkie`s going to be there. Kinda hard to get that mare away from a party as big as a wedding. Don't know when she'll be able to stop by though. If its urgent I can always relay a message.”

The blush on the stallion`s cheeks only seemed to intensify at that. “No matter, it can wait for a bit longer. But if its all the same to you I'd rather ask her myself. Its kinda a bit personal.”

Blinking a few times Twilight seemed get that hint as her eyes suddenly went wide as the realisation
hit.
“Oooh, right personal. I`ll make sure she stops by when time permits.”

The stallion only seemed to nod and smile at the reply. Though the dreamy look as he walked away humming seemed a bit displaced on the normal jovial but serious face.

The proprietor of the little bistro had just left the table as the now freshly cleaned Pleasant Dreams returned to the table.
“So, now that we've done what I wanted. What's next on the list?”

Summoning the list from her saddlebags for a quick check Twilight answered.
“That would be a visit to the arcane market.”

It may have sounded a bit odd, but Twilight wanted to check out the market for a double purpose. To show Dreams the amazing things the mages sold there and to see if she could pick up a few supplies for her studies. Reagents and ingrediënts of even the most marginal quality where hard to come by in a small village like Ponyville. And while Zecora could be reliable for herbal ingrediënts, the zebra simply did not have things like focus crystals, imbued voidstone dust or with troll's stomach acid infused ink.

And even if she was able to purchase them from traveling merchants, they always charged a princess' ransom for even the most basic items, you know the things even a school would have in stock to teach young unicorns the finer points of the arcane.
That was if Twilight was even lucky enough that they would have even those things.
Her income simply did not cover to afford those prices often. Even with her royal stipend, which is more than three times the monthly income of an average pony, combined with the bits earned from patents and publications.

A final wave goodbye to the mentally absent stallion behind the counter both mares stepped out in the great outdoors once more.
But luckily they did not have to travel far. The both Joe's and the market where on a stonesthrow away from both the school grounds and the castle.

While not the most observant of ponies, well in social happenings or even her direct surroundings if nothing interesting was happening, Twilight did see a few ponies trailing behind them. But she was not worried about them.

But Dreams on the other hoof, it was freaking her out a little.
“Twilight? Don't freak out ok? But we are being followed. Some creepy looking stallions have been in the shadows ever since we came to the museum.”

Twilight simply sighed, she knew some of these pursuers pretty well. Well not by name of course, they would always scatter the moment she came near them.
But they have been there pretty much since the beginning of her studies under Celestia. But after her coronation their numbers increased by atleast a dozen.
Though, not all at the same time.

They had been there during her trials, keeping Twilight and her friends safe from the shadows.

Nightmare Moon? They were in the city hall, keeping ponies from trampling others in panic.
Discord? You try and keep a horde of rampaging bunnies from ravaging one of the area`s premier food-sources: The Apple and the Harvest estates.
Chrysalis? Keeping the bulk of the invasion of their backs. Those closed to Twilight when she was sent to the caves were later found in pods.
And so on, always in the shadows and always undercover. Her own squad of guards.

But as well intended as it may be, they just were not to good at the hiding part of their job.
“Don't worry about them, they are here for us. To make sure nothing happens.”

With a small frown Twilight turned to one of the nearest, a brown stallion of medium height with a dark brown mane-color with a green tie and a hourglass cutiemark, and glared for a moment. “But they really should go back to school to relearn the principles of hiding in plain sight or at the very least learn some new frigging illusions. Right Sergeant?”

Twilight had to admit, they really did need to work on those extra illusions. It was getting out of control to see so many clones of each other walking about. Ponies had started to think another changeling-invasion was at hoof.

A idea started to form in Twilight's mind. Maybe she could devise a few herself. A set of her very own illusion spells. If she could get her hooves on some changeling chitin and learn how it conducts the illusion matrix she might even be able to create a whole new branch of it.

In Twilight's head concepts and plans were already starting to form. Plans that included the things she might need.
But a soft nudge snapped her back to reality.

“So euhm, they are your honor guard or something?”

Looking sideways towards the source of the nudge and the voice Twilight could see a confused Pleasant Dreams walking besides her.

The first thing out of Twilight's mind was a question of her own. Her mind had already sped ahead towards her new studies and had forgotten the very source of the ideas.
“Honor guard? Ooh... No no no. Nothing like that. The honor guard are merely for show. These ponies are of the phantom guard. Kinda like what those conspiracy nuts call the secret service.”

Seeing the shocked expression on Dreams it was clear to Twilight that the thestral knew what she was talking about. Lots of thriller novels, and even horrors, had been written on the notion of these ponies. “But don't worry, they don't foalnap or torture. They merely make sure that suspicious individuals get checked with a scanning spell or making sure that nothing gets out of control.”

Dreams looked around a bit before replying. “Ooh, like the security the nobles have during their soireé's?”

To that Twilight nodded, it was a close enough analogy. But these guards were a lot more subtle than the brutes and mercenaries often hired by the nobles.

Dreams would have liked to ask more about the strange followers, but she had found herself unable to speak at the sight before her.

A small square with perhaps maybe 10 to 15 stalls maximum. Nothing really impressive, until you saw the wares those stalls had in stock.
There where all kinds of stuff. She could not think about where to look first.
There were vials filled with bubbly fluids in all colors she could name, and then even a few of which she didn't know the name. Boxes filled with strange artifacts and gizmo's and one stall even had cages with strange creatures in it.

It where those cages which drew Dreams' attention the most, one in particular caught her eye. In it was a small ball of blue fluff with impossibly large eyes. The small insect like wings on its back made it even more adorable.
She just knew she wanted to hug it, it was so fluffy and those eyes simply seemed to beg: cuddle me.

It was Twilight who stopped her, whispering in her ear. “I know, its a cute thing. But don't let its look deceive you. Parasprites are more trouble than they're worth. Trust me on that one, about a year ago Fluttershy found a single one. And before we knew it critter had multiplied itself into a town devouring swarm.“

That statement made Dreams think a little if it was not a pet then why did they sell it? Surely it was not meant for experiments right?
What kind of sick pony would do something to a critter that adorable!

She was just about to ask Twilight, who was haggling with a shopkeeper (and if any asks her: no the wings and tiara did not make it easier to negotiate a good price. If anything it made the merchants think her to be rich and that makes it even more difficult)
But her question never reached her lips as a magical field gripped her and an familiar but very angry voice called out to her.

“There you are you disrespectful foal! The master was besides himself that you even dared to leave the mansion without his explicit permission. You will be coming with me right now missy. If you don't resist then maybe, maybe I`ll let you go with only minimal punishment.”

Dreams looked at the unicorn mare gripping her. The light pink coat with the white mane. The uniform of the head maid in the Sugartongue-household; Miss Golden Platter.

With all her might Dreams started to struggle against the grip. She did not want to go back there, she didn't have to go back there.

The gripp suddenly ended due a flash of purple light. That was something Dreams had never seen before. Golden Platter was the strongest unicorn in the household. Dreams had seen the mare overpower other servants in a similar fashion quite often. But never had she expected to see the same happen to her. And with such ease!
A glance in the direction of Twilight had showed her the source of the magic burst. And where Golden Platter had always seemed strained performing a feat of magic like that. Yet Twilight had not even broken a sweat.
“And who do you think you are? Stay out of this hussy, this mare is property of his lordship Sugartongue the 12th. Buzz off before I have you whipped. And in the future be mindful of your betters.”

That comment was something not even Dreams had expected, she had known that this mare could have a large ego. But how could she NOT see who she was talking to.

Dreams could also see the reaction of Twilight. Something in those sentences seemed to really ticked her off.
And that could also be heard in her voice.
“Excuse me? But did I just hear that right and you really just said that? You actually called another pony property? As in that this mare is something you can own? Like she's nothing more than a simple mindless object?”

With each word Twilight had stepped closer to the unicorn. And with each word the anger seemed to rise in her voice while her wings started to unfold out of raw emotion.

Golden Platter wanted to retort, it was clearly within her eyes that she wanted to make another comment and to affirm what she had just said.
But whatever she wanted to say had died in her throat at the sight of what stood before her. A lavanderish purple alicorn with horn sparking with nearly limitless potential. But that was not the most frightening, that was reserved for the eyes. Eyes seething with outrage and anger.

Then all went blank for Golden Platter as she simply keeled over, she never saw the horn flash at her right. She never felt the sting of the sleep spell hitting her.

A seemingly non distinctive unicorn walked up to the group and bowed before Twilight. “Your highness, we will take it from here.”
Within seconds three others already had the sleeping unicorn in restrains and where dragging her off.

Seeing the three members of her guard taking the unicorn in custody seemed to calm Twilight a little. But still inside she was still boiling with anger. That mare had just walked up to Dreams and started to treat her like she was even less than dirt!

But the sight of Pleasant Dreams made Twilight put a stop on her fighting spirit. The thestral was simply staring at the departing form of the guards. The downcast look seemed familiar, but the waterworks were left behind this time.

Twilight wanted to do something to comfort the mare, but this place so out in the open was made sure it was neither the time nor the place for that.
A slip of the tongue might hurt the mare even more then this event had. The best thing to do was to make sure they would get to the castle before the paparazzi would get wind of the happenings here.
Her supplies could wait for another day.

Gently Twilight wrapped Dreams in a soft embrace with one of her wings. Effectively shielding the mare's face from sight.
“Hey, how about we forgo the rest of the stuff for today and simply go back to the castle? Maybe get a mug of hot cider to calm the nerves a bit.”

Two yellow eyes looked a moment at Twilight, before Dreams nodded. Though not with the cider part, she never was much of a drinker, but she just felt it might be better to be alone for a while. Or atleast be out of sight before the inevitable breakdown.

The events of that morning combined with what had just transpired simply were too much to handle for a single day.

Author's Note:

sorry for the delay people. Had a short vacation for a week spending time looking at the ancient and magnificent temples in Egypt to get the inspiration flowing again. Only to come back to hear that my grandmother was on her deathbed.
All in all did not really feel all that productive the past weeks.

Question time:
I need some good ideas for wedding gifts from all who might attend, except for Fluttershy. I`ve already got one for her.

Editor Notes:
Hi could you all please tell cealdra, to put in spaces? thx, bye :P