• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 8,773 Views, 400 Comments

Of Consorts and Thestrals - cealdra



The nobles are at it again, this time their plan to get more power backfires as the new princess tricks them. But now she`s forced to marry a comfort mare who`s been abused almost all of her life. How will the two get along. And how will Twily react?

  • ...
30
 400
 8,773

Chapter 2: Dinner preparations

Chapter 2: Dinner preparations

Two hours, two whole hours is what it took for Pleasant Dreams to finally snap out of her daze. She had been saving bits for years. Her pay was a few bits a month and board, but still she saved them. All for a good cause. The nullification of her contract. She was just a few bits short, maybe about 400 more before she could hire a decent unbribable lawyer. It would have been just another five or so years and she might get a shot at freedom.

When she had finally came back to her senses she saw that she was in one of the luxury suites for ambassadors. The whole suite was more akin to a small apartment. It even had its own living room, with extra comfy chairs! She could know how comfy they were as she found herself laying in one. Looking around she had seen the form of Twilight Sparkle. Seemingly filled with something akin to worry or concern. Had she really spaced out that much? Not good, not good at all. Instinctively she went through a mental checklist. The same one she did every morning, checking if everything was alright. So far everything was alright.

Did nothing happen? Had she really not been touched in any way? Part of her wanted to believe more then anything that this was nothing more than a sick mind game. But that look in Twilight`s eyes. It felt so real, so honest.

With a tiny voice she started speaking, explaining what had happened. Exactly why she was telling the new princess this was beyond her, even more so it puzzled her that she was telling this right now. Maybe it was to get it off her chest, maybe it was because there was something about this mare that screamed trust. But even with what she was disclosing, she remained in full control over everything. Twilight may appear to be genuinely likeable, kind and trustworthy. But she had seen that act before and was determined not to fall in the same trap again. But then again, maybe she could spin this in her own advantage. A little information would not hurt, at least not her.

When her parents had passed away during a accident her grandmother brought her to the orphanage. They simply did not have not have the money to take care of a foal. She had learned that not long after she started working for the young lord Sugartongue.

They apparently had started looking for her about a year after she had been sent to work as a maid. A lucky break on her grandfathers part got them a little extra pay on their pension. Enough to be able to take her in, if only barely. But they had been too late. When they had found her again she already had her cutie mark and thus any contract she signed was legally binding. Normally a pony would have their parents to guide them and co-sign any document. But in her instance it had been her legal guardian, the headmistress.
Who of course had been in the pocket of the rich.

Meaning she pretty much got paid very little besides 'essentials', and her job was that of a comfort mare. To tend to any needs the young stallion that became her master would have during the night time.

Twilight had been swift to tell that the contract was now voided due the upcoming wedding and was about to go on an rampart explanation on the exact laws behind it but one look at her conversation partner had stifled it. Dreams had tried to scowl at the interruption of her story at first. And it worked, but the flustered look on Twilight`s face swiftly turned it into a head shaking smile and the feeling in her gut that she this wasn't a one time event.

But going back on topic, the elderly couple had tried their best to be there for the filly. So in the few days she actually had time off she had spend it with them. So at least she knew she had a little family, although she was half expecting a lot of 'long lost' aunts and uncle`s to come out of the woodwork now. But if they thought she would get any kind of favorable treatment than they could not be more wrong.

Throughout it all Pleasant Dreams tried to keep herself in check, she tried so very hard not to remember while speaking about them. She had to appear to be strong. But in the end it was all for nothing. Her eyes had started to water, not enough to go into full fledged tears.
Fortunately for her lady luck had been on her side, the mare in the other chair had not noticed it, or was doing a very good job at masking it. Pleasant Dreams had averted her eyes at the end, not wanting to show how even saying this little affected her. Had she not done that she would have seen the anger in Twilight`s eyes. Further she would have seen the concept of an idea forming in those purple orbs.

“Dreams, why don't you stay here for the moment and get some rest? I still have some things to take care off. Orders to place.” Without even turning around her horn lit up and a powerful telekinetic wind blasted towards the windows strangely enough creating a loud scream.
“Paparazi to clear from the windows of our suite. You know the deal.” With an awkward smile the purple alicorn retreated towards the door.
A few moments later Dreams could swear she heard the alicorn call the guards to deal a bit more active with the 'leeches' floating about the castle.

The leaving of Twilight meant that Pleasant Dreams was alone in their room in the ambassadorial wing of the palace. The library tower had been deemed unfit for a princess. Something Twilight had been obviously grumping about judging by the way both their appointed servants had acted and how Twilight herself had said that she usually stayed in her old room.

Alone for the first time since a good while the thestral mare went to explore the room a bit. The small kitchen was nothing to write home about. It was pretty basic and you could say it was painfully obvious that the users of this room were expected to dine in one of the private dining rooms. The bathroom however was painfully luxurious. Marble tiles and bath, complete with gold plated taps. There had been more types of lotions and shampoos then she could even name, and given that she had massage training it was saying a lot. The bedroom was almost a duplicate of the small living room, at least in style and luxury. But strangely enough had two beds, one of which obviously did not belong there if the rest of the furniture was to be any indication.

Had it actually been placed here so they did not had to sleep together? But why? Both beds were massive enough to hold three ponies comfortably and still have ample room left. If they really did this for her, they should have asked first. She knew first hoof what kind of backbreaking work moving a bed like that across the same room was, even with a unicorn helping. Let alone moving one across rooms. Or Celestia forbid it; from a storage area. For the sake of the backs of those servants she would have just slept in the same bed. But as she was thinking a odd thought hit her. Was this perhaps a request from the purple alicorn? To make things easier on the both of them by preventing any awkward bedtime moments?. But if that was the case then why not have two separate rooms? She would have been fine with a small servant's room.

A little prod to the lesser bed, and that is only because she could not find another word to describe the apparent spare bed, taught her that it was going to be very hard to fall asleep on. It was a cloud bed, something she generally disliked. Sure they were soft and all, but she always feared falling through them. Stupid actually since thestrals are a sub-type of pegasus, and thus had their weather and gravitational magic coursing through her. A small check confirmed that both beds were made from the same material. Thinking about it, it made sense to her. Most likely the cover had been enchanted so it would support anything laying on it as if it was a normal mattress. Only the best for special guests, a concept she knew all too well herself.

But despite of those memories, Twilight had been right. Some rest sounded wonderful right now, even though she had no intent to sleep. Maybe it could help her figure things out, maybe plan out her next few moves. A smile came to her face, thinking about how she would spend the first few months of her stipend into shutting down that orphanage. Her first smile ever to fully reach her eyes in a long time.

Her contract was about to be annulled, sure she was singing one for life in return. But this time she was not signing away her own rights as cheaply as she had done when she was barely out of her foalhood. Secondly she now had the chance to finally get even with the places where it all started. But then what?

Say she accomplished it, then what was she going to do? She would still be married to somepony she didn't even know. And a mare nonetheless. She had no problems with the idea of being with a mare. But in general many ponies were still a bit biassed against such a thing. It could potentially lead to more uncomfortable complications. And like always in life, just when she was getting a decent roll in her thoughts she got interupted again.

A maid with a fully loaded saddlebag gently knocked on the room right before entering. Dreams was still deep in thought as the maid trotted about looking for her, and when she was finally found the sound of a gasp shook her right out of her own little world.
“Ooh my, nonononono that just won't do. No This won't do at all.”

Still a bit fuzzy about what exactly was going on Pleasant Dreams looked towards the cause of the disturbance. In the doorway stood a brown coated and blonde unicorn mare in what she thought to be the most tackiest radiant yellow maid-outfit she had ever seen. The sheer amount of frills and unnecessary add-ons made her eyes hurt just by looking at it. Her confusion soon turned to outright panic as she saw the maid starting to unpack her bulging saddlebags, only to reveal an unhealthy amount of mane-, and coat care products like lotions, dry shampoo`s and a whole assortment of brushes.

She knew that type of servant. That was no maid, but a torture master! A beautician. She had been through their processing a few times. And none of them were all too pleasant to remember. Their sole purpose in life was to fight knots in fur and mane, and normalcy with what they considered to be art. On pure instinct she started to crawl backwards, eyes scanning for every possible escape-route. But there had been no such luck. The unicorn was blocking the only door out the room. And she was pretty sure that there was no hidden door either.

“Now, please sit still m’lady. You will be dining with some pretty important ponies and of course as the future prince-consort you simply must look at your best. Think about what the media would say if they could see you as plain as you are now? The outrage, think of the scandal it would cause!” During the entire monologue the sickness on the mare`s face had not disappeared. The level of self contentedness was rivaling that of many of the snobbish nobles Dreams had seen.

'Oh no, this damned mare thinks i'm one of those brownnosers.' “Please miss. I`m afraid there has been a mix-up. I've not send for aid with personal care. Could you please just leave, I can take care of herself. I have been doing exquisitely so far.” She may not have had experience in acting as a noble, but she did know a thing or two about talking to a overeager servant or maid. One didn't endure catering to nobles for long if you didn't learn a trick or two. One of those tricks was learning a few so-called codewords.

Certain words unnoticed in the refined language of Canterlot had completely different meanings when it was said between staff members. Exquisite, or any adverb of it was such an example. It`s true meaning was plain and simple: Back off.

These words were more like commands, the unwritten rule was that once spoken the other had to take it seriously. But either this mare was on a thickheaded crusade, or somepony had forgotten to teach this one the codewords or she just could not remember them. Either way, it was simply brushed aside.

“I`m afraid I just cannot allow that. Why that would be just criminal. The head maid of this wing told me that there was a mare in dire need of my aid. And I refuse to leave until you look like you are worth dining besides royalty.

With her option for escape blocked and her attempt to talk her way out of it failed the thestral started to bare her fangs. Rising trying to rise up to her full height for her only remaining option to get out of this room with her dignity. If flight did not work, then maybe it is time for the second option: Fight.

The first stroke of a levitating brush had been dodged, only to slip over the bedcovers and fall face first on the floor. Even on the floor she tried swatting away the various brushes and makeup attributes. But the onslaught was too great for her to get up again. Atleast until the door opened once again.

A pristine white unicorn with a curled indigo mane and a trio of diamonds as cutiemark walked in. The moment the newcomer laid eyes on the aggressor her own eyes splinted and Dreams could swear she heard a growl being emitted from the white one.

The shock of the beautician unicorn was large enough for her to drop almost everything she was wielding in her telekinetic grip. But what happened next had send the mare scrambling out the room.
The new unicorn simply glared at her with a icy glaze before speaking in a way that made it seem that the two measly words spoken where a full book on threats.

“You, out!”

The beautician looked a final time at the newcomer before gulping and scampering out the room completely forgetting her tools. It seemed likely to Dreams that those two had met before and judging by the reaction, the thestral was now growing anxious. This newcomer could do that to what seemed to be a veteran maid. Who knew what was in store for her?

“Ahh, i`m terribly about that. The poor dear tries so hard, but she simply must learn when to apply makeup generously or to use it sparingly to coax out a natural beauty.”

The mare shivered a bit as if remembering something.

“You should have seen what she had done to that poor Twilight before her coronation. We had to postpone for nearly an hour before she was marginally presentable again.”

A sweep of magic cleared the floor from all the discarded products left by the beautician. Dreams wanted to ask why this mare was here, but the now levitating measuring tools and the piercing eyes were saying enough. The tape flew all over her body, while the white mare noted down the measurements. All while she was muttering things about colors and matching themes.

The whole ordeal had been a bit strange to Pleasant Dreams. There had been no introduction, no indication of what this mare was doing what so ever. Although she could make a decent guess, judging by the methodical way of approach and the accent this mare was probably in the employ of one of the large fashion houses and was here to measure her dress.

The mere thought of it caused her to snicker a little. Not in a million years had she ever thought about even owning a normal dress, and now she was being measured for a custom made one. And not just any but, from what by the scraps of cloth and various gems being matched with her coat and mane, one atleast made by Hoity`s.

Why Hoity`s creations? Simple hope, it was going to be a royal wedding after all. And even though they were all kind of mass fabricated from designs made by others, Hoity Toity was know as one of the most well renowned fashion icons, and all of the designs from his boutique were beyond expectation. Something every mare dreams of owning. Especially those of the Carousel designline.

But still, having a nice weddingdress would be something she liked. What she did not like was the invasive method used in the measurements. More than once she had tried to fight the telekinetic grip on any of her limbs, a losing battle of course. And simply being vocal about the discomfort merely gave her a “hush, i`m in the zone.” Followed by a whole stream of prattle about masterpieces and art.

But the moment she felt the magic grabbing and rather forcefully extending one of her wings, she hissed in pain. The rather obvious statement of discomfort got her award by a surprised open mouthed stare from the, what she expected to be, intern of the boutique in charge of the dresses.

With a snap, the open mouth closed.
“Ooh my, a thestral?”

'Well thanks for stating the obvious. As if I didn't know what I was?'
But that statement was not all she got, the piercing and observing glance only became more intense. She felt as if she was a piece of fruit being judged for sale right now. Every aspect had been taken in, it unnerved her enough to make her choke on her question of what she was doing.

Luckily not before long the the mare finally spoke again.
“Well now, I knew that Twilight had taste for the unusual. But I never knew she had a eye for beauty as well.”

There were those glaring and calculating eyes again. She knew instantly that this mare wanted something from her. The veiled compliment had made that obvious.
After all, why compliment somepony you never met before in a situation like this?

“Tell me darling. Can I perhaps persuade you to model some things for me?”

This time it was Dreams` turn to stare at the other mare in the room in surprise. She had expected a few things. A night in bed, acting as eye-candy for some product placement but this? Not in the slightest.
First she had not been worth the slightest bit of time and now she was asked to model?
Surely this mare was mistaken? She was told often she was cute or good looking, but a model? Her? That would be a joke.
“Euhm, maybe? But who are you again?”

“Ooh dear me, I am Rarity.” A glinstering came to Rarity's eyes as she continued to speak. “Now tell me darling. What do you think of these sketches. After all your it will be your big day, and it needs to be fabulous!”

And with those words an hour worth of excruciating fashion related torture started.

That mare never stopped asking questions, comparing colours and making a rather impressive mess from the room by drawing up and discarding sketches faster than anypony Dreams had ever seen. She felt pity for the poor maid or servant who was to clean this. Something usefull had come out of this atleast, she had learned that , thank any god(dess) willing to listen, she would not have to be present for the entire procedure of creation. Just for the final fitting.

Just as this Rarity wanted to go on yet another sketching spree, Dreams had personally approved of atleast 15 different designs already but all of those had been discarded almost instantly afterwards, when there had been a polite knock on the door nipped that one in the butt.

A maid gently opened the door and looked at the duo, and with a small bow to them she stated
“M'ladies, dinner is to be served. If you would please follow me.”
What they did not hear was what the maid added afterwards. “Then I believe we can still arrive before lady Pie destroys the kitchens for the umpteenth time.”

The walk towards the diningroom had been boring compared to the hectics of the day. It was nice in a strange way. Nothing really happened just a simple walk towards dinner. Of course this being the royal palace, the dining room was anything but simple or normal. The door itself could have been one of the many that gave access to servant paths, to avoid suspicion. After all this was the private dining hall of the princesses, and only on a very rare occasions they received guests there and it was a great honor to be invited there as this Rarity-mare had been keen to point out.

The prim and proper attitude of the white unicorn was grating a bit on her nerves, luckily after this meal she would be freed from her. But seriously what is up with her anyway? First she tries to use her as a subject for her dresses, only getting worse when she seemingly discovered the batlike wings, how they were missed was a mystery on its own. And now she is acting like some kind of socialite and teacher in one. Dreams was just glad she learned to tune things out early on in her career, or the keep poise like this and remember to politely smile that would have driven her insane not to far into the whole teacher like speech.

As the door was opened from the lavishly decorated room became visible to all. It did not have the splendor of the main dining hall’s but still it was pretty obvious that the designer had a near limitless supply of bits.

The table had already been set, or atleast with the usual like goblets and silverware. At both end sat Luna and Celestia and on the other sides a group of mares with only two empty seats. Both across from each other, but one in the middle of two no three unknowns, one had hidden herself behind the chair, and the other in between Twilight and a blue pegasus. A pegasus who was staring at her, like she was trying to stare right into her soul.

Seriousely what was up with this... well this mare? Atleast Dreams thought it was a mare. Could just as well be one of those fillyish colts she had seen prancing about several of her former masters parties. You know the type, those who those in the closet type of stallions often had hanging off them to hide the fact what they really wanted.

Tearing her eyes away from the piercing gaze she only realised that the three of those she did not know were staring at her. Each with a vibrant expression on their face.

Concern.
Fear.

And quite possibly the most frightening of them all.
Undiluted and and positively unmatched glee. Happiness to such a large extent that it opened up only a single thought.
‘This is going to be dinner from hell.’