• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 8,765 Views, 400 Comments

Of Consorts and Thestrals - cealdra



The nobles are at it again, this time their plan to get more power backfires as the new princess tricks them. But now she`s forced to marry a comfort mare who`s been abused almost all of her life. How will the two get along. And how will Twily react?

  • ...
30
 400
 8,765

chapter 8: A new home in Ponyville

As the small town came into view Pleasant Dreams had to do a double take. Everything she had heard about the place seemed to be completely wrong.

The nobles had spoken about it as if it was some kind of run down little hole in the middle of no-where. A place overrun by just about every beast the Everfree could throw at it.

But for what she could see now it was almost idyllic. From high up it looked like a small sleepy town straight out of legend. A place where nothing ever really happens and where everypony knows everypony.

Things where a little bit different in reality if Twilight was to be believed. And she was especially hoping not to get the 'Zecora' treatment. Though landing besides one of the most respected members of the community should help in avoiding that. Yet she knew in the back of her head how some would react to seeing a thestral.

As the luxury yacht approached the centre of the village it surprised Dreams how little commotion it seemed to caused.
Though then again, it was Ponyville of all places. Besides neighbouring the gates of tartarus and the everfree forest it had its own princess, a deranged chaos spirit stopping by on occasions and all manner of freakish beast attacks.

So they were probably used to stranger things than an air yacht docking in the centre of the village.

The disembarking went relatively swift, Dreams suspected that the good captain was glad to have them off his hooves. Most likely because he would be getting 'normal' passengers now.

Not that they had misbehaved or anything, it was just that Twilight turned out to be almost a 180 turn from nobles. No fussing, no hissyfits, no ordering around as if she owned the place. Though technically as a princess one could argue that she actually did own the place.
But most importantly: she smiled and was nice to the crew.

And Dreams herself? She had been almost similar to Twilight.

The combination of the friendliness and the not being shouted or snubbed at had been more than a little unsettling for the crew.

Their luggage was going to be offloaded and brought to Twilight's home so both mares had been free to do what they wanted. Which meant; going to the place that was going to be home.

Walking through the village had been an new experience for Dreams, friendly waves and greetings. The town itself was even prettier on the ground level. Small market stands on the village square, ponies simply walking about smiling, having small talk. Foals of all ages running about watching the air yacht being unloaded or simply playing.

It was the opinion of Dreams that THIS was how life should be. Without worry, without a boss with a major superiority complex.

Simply being able enjoying life itself and do what she wanted to do.

At the end of the walk town square stood the final spot of their their destination. It had fitted all the stories she had ever heard of it.

A home completely unfit for royalty if stories where to be believed but Dreams could see herself living there in that large tree.

Summers spend reading on the balcony, simply looking at the ponies walking about on the square. Spring and autumn walking through the forest or doing a little gardening. And in the winter, in the winter Dreams pictured herself working on her own lifelong dream.

In the winter she would work on her own collection of bedtime stories.

In her mind's eye it looked like the perfect life. Strangely enough some of the scene's that flashed in her mind co-starred a lavender alicorn.
But she could rationalise it because Twilight was her wife, and they had to share a house.

As the two stepped inside Dreams could not believe her eyes. Not only where there the loads of books she had imagined there to be but there was so much more to see.

From the towering rows of books and the ladders between the shelves to the small and cozy looking reader's corner.

It was so much more than she had back at the manor. Even the study area's seemed to be more inviting than they had any right to be. But then again considering who had lived there for a few years already Dreams could understand that some alterations had been made.

Awestruck she followed Twilight to the second floor, the actual house part of the library. It was nothing major, nothing at all like she had expected.
It looked like somepony had taken a storage room and adjusted it to have multiple rooms. Even the kitchen seemed like a last minute addition. Yet still they had managed to make it all look cozy and homey.

There were only three small bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom and a livingroom. All in all it was smaller than even the main lobby of the Sugartongue estate. But somehow it felt like nothing she had ever experienced before.

Maybe it was the smiling Twilight showing her around, the thought of having her own private room, or perhaps the smallest room with nothing but a few comics and a basket with a pillow and blanket. But at the same time it could have been the massive banner and pineapple-frosted cake in the small living room which both in bright eyesore inducingly pink letters stated:

Welcome to Ponyville Pleasant Dreams

It just felt like all was in order, it felt like she was finally home. She had even been given her own room. A nice little niche in the upper section.

The gentle yet a little bit unsure voice of Twilight snapped her out of her thoughts.
“I know it isn't much especially considering the luxurious way of living of the nobles and the past week. But I do hope its to your liking.”

All Dreams could do was nod and simply smile before carefully embracing Twilight in a true heartfelt hug.

It was an impulsive thing to do, but it felt like the natural thing to do. Simply to give her a simple hug to thank her for everything. Dreams had no doubt that Twilight's friends had placed the furniture there, but she realized full well that it was Twilight who had been the mastermind behind it.

There was only one thing wrong, her inability to sleep on her own. But as Twilight had promised they were going to work on that.

They where actually going to work on the only thing she had working against her in terms of being a normal mare. But as they had agreed she was still allowed to sleep with Twilight if she so wanted.

Well not sleep with Twilight as in 'sleeping with Twilight'. Just the normal run of the mill sharing the bed for sleeping kinda sleeping with Twilight.
Though Dreams suspected that should she wanted to 'sleep with Twilight' the Twilight would probably not refuse. Not that she would though.

Atleast not yet, she is kinda endearing and cute and not to mention so very soft.

That single stray thought caused her to halt dead in her tracks. Did that really just sprout from her own mind?

No it could not be. That could not be her own thoughts, Pleasant Dreams was sure of it. They must have been caused by the conditioning she had endured during her youth.

Yes, yes it was the conditioning and the years as a comfort mare speaking.

Still a bit shocked she released Twilight from the hug.
“So euhm, what now Twilight?”

Twilight looked at Dreams and simply smiled as she levitated a scroll from somewhere in the next room.
“Well for tonight there isn't anything planned. Fluttershy managed to convince Pinkie that a welcome party for you might not be the best idea, something about easing into society rather than being dunked in it. Though from what I know about you Fluttershy seems to be on the spot with that.”

Dreams could understand the sentiment behind it, for what she had seen of the pink pony the party would have been massive and definitely not something she would enjoy very much. Twilight had been right on the money with the fact that she doesn't really likes crowdy parties.

“So its just going to be lunch and then a trip to the town hall and while I speak to the mayor about a few things you get to file in some forms that will make you an official resident of Ponyville.”

No questions about the subject of said things had needed to be asked as Twilight was muttering under her breath about not allowing the mayor to push away nearly half of her duties to Twilight simply because she was the resident princess and thus technically the highest authority.

Filling in paperwork was all good and well but there was something she would rather do. To go sightseeing in what the nobles called the 'village wide asylum'.

Though Ponyville was mostly called that due the fact that the more well known inhabitants of the village all seemed to be a little quirky and definitely outside the norm. And all the 'elite' agreed that outside the norm was similar to not being quite right in the head. Unless you were useful to them, then quirky was a blessing that drew them in like vultures.

And to be frank, as far as most in Canterlot were concerned anypony who would willingly live on the border of the Everfree doesn't just have a screw loose, they just don't have any screws left.

Settling in, meaning unpacking what little belongings she had took longer than expected.
While it was true that she had little in the means of belongings, Dreams never had to pack them out into a place specifically created for her. And thus by extension never had to really decorate a room with them.

But with the help of Twilight and Spike, Dreams had been able to settle in quite nicely by lunchtime.

And after lunch Twilight had been ever so kind to simply leave Dreams with the clerk in the town house while she was going to have a little heart to heart with the mayor.

And unlucky for her this clerk had taken her special talent to the literal meaning.

Her cutiemark? A scroll with a few different sized Z's floating above it. And as if it was destined to be, the poor thing managed to do something Dreams had previously thought to be impossible.

Making the tediums of bureaucracy even more mind numbingly boring than it already was.
And just when she thought it was over, that all the paperwork had been done, the clerk had been dead set on pulling forth a map and point out the landmarks of the area.

Luckily she was quite literally saved by the bell about halfway through.
The signal of the end of the work day could be heard clear through the entire building. And without a single word the mare packed up her saddlebags, not even bothering to clean up everything she had used, and walked out of the room.

While a tad confusing it did bring a smile to Dream's face. A smile due the fact that the rumors off government workers seemed to be true.

They quit at exactly five PM. And judging by how swiftly they all seemed to leave there was no force in the world who could stop them.

And what was even better in her opinion. She did not have to return to that forsaken little niché in the town hall. Meaning she was free to do some exploring herself tomorrow.

The night passed on rather quickly. Spike had made a rather simple meal while Twilight was still a bit grumpy about her conversation with the mayor.

Twilight had explained that the mayor had been trying to rope her into doing all the administrational work and taking on almost all responsibility while the mayor herself would only be doing the 'fun' things like grand openings and speeches.

And as could be guessed: Ponyville didn't have many of those tasks.

The next day Dreams found herself waking again to the touch of Twilight stirring in her sleep. It frustrated her to no end that she had not been able to sleep alone. Even in a separate room, and that for her first night in her new home she had snuck into Twilight's bed.

But what surprised her the most was Twilight's actions. Normally she was a huge cuddle bug and had a tendency to either snore or mutter in her sleep.
Muttering that Dreams had gotten to recognize as items close to her heart. Things like her friends or something relating to her current studies.

The surprise came in the form of Dream's own name falling from the lips of the slumbering alicorn.
It made her wonder exactly what Twilight had been dreaming about to mention her. Yet at the same time it also made her smile. A smile that she was atleast seen as a close friend, well as close as a friend she could have become in such a short time, that would atleast make living together a bit more worthwhile.

With those thoughts starting to haunt her mind there was little chance of getting back to sleep. Reluctantly Pleasant Dreams warmed herself out of Twilight's grip and stepped out of bed. It was early, but not too early to start the day.

A second surprise was found in the kitchen, Spike had already been up and was already quite busy preparing two pots of oatmeal. Dreams could actually smell the heavy spices that laced the smaller pot and quickly decided not to even want to try that concoction.
That was even before Spike added a generous amount of small green slivers into the mix from a shaker labeled: Emerald Dust.

The drake seemed very diligent about his task, and the automatism he displayed was a clear sign that this was more likely a daily routine for him.
Without a word Dreams turned to the cabinet where she knew the plates and cutlery were being kept and started to set the table, knowing full well that she would only be in the way with her limited cooking skills. It was an act which earned her a surprised and bemused glance from Spike.

No actual words had been spoken until Twilight had come in for breakfast with a very sleepy “Goodmorning all.”

After breakfast plans had been made by all three inhabitants of the treebrary. Somewhere in the week she had traveled with Twilight she had told Dreams that Spike and her often discussed their plans for the day either during or after breakfast.
And like with many things it was Twilight who had started talking about it. Dreams had half expected her to take out a scroll or some kind of noteboard to write it all down or something crazy like that.

“So what are the plans for today Dreams? I know Spike and myself are going to take inventory of the new additions who should be arriving today. But since you are not in employ of the library like Spike you are not obligated to help.”

Dreams looked at Spike who looked back with pleading eyes as Twilight shot him a little warning glare. It was quite obvious that there was some kind of story behind those words, a big one even.
But the thestral had other plans for the day, she wanted to do what she had planned the day before.
Simply explore the town a little.
“Well I was planning to check out the town, see the sights and all.”

'Enjoying my freedom' where the words she had thought behind the sentence.
“Is there anything you really have to see in town?”

It was a question Dreams did not need to ask, she had already planned the whole day during that incredibly boring display of yesterday.
Taking things she had heard rumors from in Canterlot, like if you are in Ponyville you cannot leave without having atleast tasted something from Sugarcube corner. Other things she had actually picked up from that horrible mare, specific sites and locations that are known for their oddity or beauty.

Stepping outside was a completely new experience, Dreams kept feeling the eyes of her former master's spies on her. But she knew better.
There were no hired thugs, aka mercenaries, to spy on her. There were no bit-a-tale ponies watching her every move in order to make a few bits by telling on her.
To say it was refreshing would be an understatement.

The only thing standing in her way of celebrating this glorious feeling of freedom and her was the small almost empty bitbag in her saddlebags. Meaning her stop of the day was going to be the bank. Her stipend should have been deposited somewhere along the 'honeymoon'. And to be frank, for the first time since ever she was itching to spend a few bits.

The bank, or what had to pass as a bank made Dreams giggle a little. It resembled nothing from the grand splendor the banks in Canterlot had. It was just a small building, could have even been some kind of storage building in a previous life.
She had absolutely no clue on how the bits stored there would even be considered to be safe. But the clerk had assured her that everything was completely fine. He even went as far as claiming that no wannabe bankrobber had ever made it to the vaults.
Grinning the entire time while he said that and finishing with a cryptic hint about something called 'and Everfree surprise'.

As Dreams left the bank she felt a little better about herself, she had not been lied to when she signed her life away last week. The 500 bits promised to her had been signed over to her. Not just once, but twice even.
Though the look on the clerk's face had been more than a little creepy once he figured out it was a weekly deal.
And the fact that Dreams had made a swift exit from the bank, knowing full well that he had started hitting on her did not do wonders for the impression the stallion was making.

A casual pace was all she took while walking through the town. After all there was nothing keeping her from it.

The sight themselves were a bit disappointing, but that was to be expected when one was used to seeing the splendor of Canterlot. Well seeing, more like getting glimpses from it from the windows or the rare actual visit to the centre itself.

But Dreams had to admit, for it was worth it was quite a lovely place. If she had read things correctly then the proper term to describe it was 'having that small town charm'. Or atleast something like that.

So far she had been through half of her own little mental list. From the strange but rather beautiful Carousel Boutique, and no she did not step inside to order something just looking, to taking the walk of courage AKA walking a small path besides the Everfree Forest.
Just because she was curious.

But what was curious where her thoughts walking that small trail. While she was brave enough to dare it, without shaking like a leaf like most would. But as she reached the climax of the trail one though had dominated her mind.

That thought was not the beautiful flower field in front of her or the crystal clear lake. Nor any of the other features that would make walking the path of courage worth it.
No, her mind wandered towards the purple alicorn she had just met a week ago. Wondering wether Twilight would also like it there. Thoughts about flying there and having a picnic with just the two of them. Having a snack, then just snuggle close to each other to enjoy a good book.
Dreams mind was even going as far to say that the sights would be better with Twilight there.

It was quite a shock when she realised just exactly what she was thinking. It was one thing to like the mare, as a friend, and to use her to even be able to sleep. But to actually venture into that area? No, that was something unnatural. It was the rouge magic of the Everfree, she had read that it could cause strange things. So it had to be that, it was the Everfree messing with her mind.

Attempting to get as far from that place as possible Dreams flew towards Ponyville. And as she expected, the further she went from the place the more those thoughts about Twilight seemed to diminish.
When she finally reached the village square the thoughts where all but gone. Replaced by another greater menace. A strong rumbling from the stomach reminding her that she technically had skipped lunch.

Both the clock on the town hall and her stomach where claiming that it was later then she had planned. If her estimations were correct then she had spend nearly an hour and a half longer on the path and the lake then she had originally planned for.
No matter, the spot she had picked for her lunch was closeby.

A small establishment a little walk away from the village square itself. It had received a platinum rating just last year. A real must visit for all culinary connoisseurs.

The Punchbowl, the number one place for smoothies and fruit salads in the entire country.

And now Dreams herself was standing in front of the building itself. Well building would be a bit grand to describe it. A small shop would be more adequate to describe it. But the scents coming from it alone where enough to make Dreams mouth water. This was no two bit establishment, from the scent alone one could tell it only used fresh fruit. Not like those shops her old 'employer' had gotten the stuff from that he had fed Dreams with.

Once inside Dreams could see the products itself on the tables of a few other patrons. A smile started to grace her face as she observed the mare behind the counter at work. Combining those skilled hooves with dozens of different fruit combinations. There was only one thing Dreams knew for sure.

It would take weeks of sampling in this fruity paradise before she would have tasted everything. But ooh, she would enjoy every single sip along the way.

Author's Note:

Headcanon is that Spike is officially employed by Twilight/Ponyville as librarian while Twilight herself is volunteer/owner. Yes she is classed as owner because headcanon claims that she has brought over her own personal collection from Canterlot which accounts for 75% of all books present. Meaning he does actually get paid for all the work he does in there. Thus Twi has a legitimate reason for being grumpy if he is slacking off.

I know its small, but I`ll be back with a bigger and better update soon. PROMISE!