• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 518 Views, 3 Comments

The Exiled Dragon - TheNinjaTanuki



An epic short of an Equestrian dragon

  • ...
 3
 518

Kindness and The Hydra

Dark, it was very dark. Gale felt his body though unable to move as if he was paralysed. His scales scrape against the wooden flooring his body laid on. Somepony was dragging him. This worried Gale. Had they caught him? Have they alerted Canterlot? He must escape at once. But where was he? All around him there were sounds of animals, the tweeting of birds, the scurrying of little feet, even the yawning of a bear.

“Oh…my, your awake,” said a sweet small voice.

Gale immediately spun around, and brandished his claws on the pony’s neck. All motion stopped for a moment.
Then the pony dropped down on her knees and began crying.

“I’m sorry, I’m so s-s-s-sorry,” the pony whimpered on the floor.
Another few moments pass, even Gale was taken aback by the pony’s manner. She looks so very frail an innocent. This pony could not possibly cause him any trouble.

“I did not know you were t-t-taking a nap, if I knew I would n-n-not have disturbed you. B-b-but it is very dangerous sleeping out in the open, you might catch a cold, and with that nasty wound-. Oooh I’m so v-v-very sorry,” whimpered the pony.

Gale considered his position, the whole town is on to him and will most likely to turn him over to Canterlot after the incident he had caused, and Gale could not possibly abandon his quest when his goal is just in reach.
Then a sudden sharp pain throbbed upon his wound, Gale winced trying to hold back the pain.

“Oh my, that wound looks terrible, are you alright?” the pegasus flew towards Gale and caress the wound.
Her sudden change of attitude startled Gale, but the pain was too overwhelming for Gale to make any sort of resistance.

“I had changed the bandages and applied ointment while you were sleeping; I hadn’t got the chance to give you some pain relieving herbs before you woke up,” said the pegasus as she flew from one cupboard to another for the herbs.

Gale stared at the pegasus working her way through her cottage and kept his thoughts to himself. From a time to another, ponies do him favours out of generosity. Gale never understood them. Without a care and gratitude, Gale readily accepts the help and move on.

The pegasus mashed the herbs with a mortar and pestle then added the herbs in a pot of boiling water. The room was then thick with the aroma of freshly ground herbs. Gale inhaled deeply, the scent is wonderfully rejuvenating, the pain from Gale’s wound seem to dim slightly just by the scent alone.

The pegasus scooped up the herbal broth with a ladle and filled a soup bowl.

“Here, this will make you feel better, be careful, it’s hot,” said the pegasus, carefully placing the bowl on Gale’s claws.

Gale stared at the silky herbal broth. At that moment, Gale thought the pegasus very naïve. What did she hope to gain from all this kindness?

Then somepony knocked on the door.

“Hey Fluttershy! You there!?” yelled a pony.

Gale panicked; he had almost forgotten that he was a wanted fugitive. Gale tried to move but his body would not cooperate. The pain from his wound had numbed his body, slowing his movements.

“Twilight is holding a meeting at the library, better hurry up cuz it’s kinda important,” said Rainbow Dash.

Gale could not think straight. The thought of being caught overwhelmed his body with fear. He remembered when he was sentenced to exile and was force to live in the Everfree Forest for a crime he did not purposely commit. But this time, Gale was aware of his actions. If he is caught, the punishment will be even more severe, no doubt. But worse of all, Gale would not be able to pursue the answers to his questions.

As these frightful thoughts swirl around Gale’s head he noticed the pegasus, Fluttershy staring at him. He stared back at her and their eyes met. After a moment Fluttershy’s gaze softened, she then gave a nod as if she was coming to an understanding.

“I…uh, I am so terribly sorry Rainbow Dash. I would love to join all of you but unfortunately I’ve got a patient to take care of. He is very ill. You understand, right Rainbow?” replied Fluttershy.

“Sure, no problem. I’ll tell Twilight that you’re busy. But be careful Fluttershy, it’s not safe here in Ponyville anymore,” said Rainbow Dash before flying off.

At that instant, Gale was stricken with awe and disbelief at how Fluttershy defended him. It had left Gale even more confused than ever. He had thought Fluttershy’s acts of kindness very foolish but after what happened, the heavy weight of guilt started tugging at his heart.

Fluttershy turned away from the door with a look of relief on her face. She approached Gale and took the herbal broth from his claws. Gale had almost forgotten that he was still holding it.

“It’s alright now, no need to worry. You are safe here,” said Fluttershy.

Gale had changed his perspective of Fluttershy. The element of kindness seems to radiate all over her.

“Thank you,” said Gale. It was all he could muster.

“Oh, you don’t need to thank me. I know how it feels like being shy. I can’t stand being looked at by other ponies, it makes me feel so very nervous,” said Fluttershy.

Fluttershy then fed Gale the broth. Each spoonful fills Gale’s body with warmth and calmed his nerves. The pain from his wound then is nothing but a dull prod on his skin.
At that moment Gale realized how much he longs for the comfort of a home. He had been living in exile ever since the incident. The cottage, lovely food and Fluttershy’s kindness reminds him so much about his life before his exile. As Fluttershy feeds him, tears roll down Gale’s cheeks.

“Oh, my! Are you ok? Please don’t cry,” pleaded Fluttershy.

But Gale just could not.


A week had passed since then. Gale had gotten used to the simple life around the cottage. Most of the time, he helps Fluttershy with her chores. Gale would feed the chickens, herd little animals to their homes and occasionally scratch the bear’s back. Fluttershy was reluctant when Gale offered his assistance but eventually accepted because of how persistent Gale was. Every day was a simple routine and life was peaceful. However, Gale never let his guard down and kept an eye on the situation of the town. There were fewer ponies patrolling around the town’s borders. Gale guessed that they are probably not so keen on finding him after such a long time.

Then, one morning, Gale found Fluttershy very agitated. She kept pacing back and forth in the living room whispering to herself. She looked very worried about something, so Gale asked what was bothering her.

“oooh…my animal friends told me something very frightening happened at the lake. The animals living there are panicking. I want to go there to investigate, b-b-but if it is as scary as the woodland creatures say...,” Fluttershy’s voice trails off.

Gale’s eagerness took him over. Of course he would help Fluttershy with her troubles. Ever since Flutershy protected him, Gale had considered himself in debt to Fluttershy and will help her out with anything without question.

“Is it alright if I accompany you to the lake?” asked Gale.

“YES!” a sudden burst of delight and relief spread across Fluttershy’s face. Her reaction startled Gale.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I mean, yes. I would love some company,” said Fluttershy, returning to her original tone of voice.

They set off for the lake later. Soon they were following a stream that leads to the lake. Gale then noticed, as Fluttershy said, that the animals are beginning to become restless. They seem to be frightened out of their wits and are running away as if being they are being chased. Gale became curious, what could cause such maddening fright within the creatures?

Suddenly, Gale heard Fluttershy gasped before seeing Fluttershy running ahead.

“Wait! Fluttershy, it’s not safe!” yelled Gale.

He ran after her. Each step closer to the lake, a cold chill crawls up his spine. Gale knew something was terribly wrong.

Soon enough, he caught up with Fluttershy who was sitting by the bank of the river. The sound of low sobbing can be heard. Gale went to Fluttershy’s side hoping to try and comfort her but then he saw the reason why she was sad.
Animal carcases littered the lakes surface.

Dead fish float on the lake surface. Bodies of other dead animals lay along the bank of the lake.

Gale walked closer to the water to investigate. He dipped his left claw into the water and retracted as his claw sizzled. The water was poisonous.

Then the waves began to lash violently on the bank. The water started to boil. A harsh echoing cry came from the lake.

“Fluttershy, Get away from there!” yelled Gale.

But Fluttershy was paralyzed by fear and sadness, so much that she could not move or even speak. She sat there as the water broke apart and burst as a monstear breached the surface of the lake. It was a hydra and it had four snake like heads snapping and spitting poison everywhere.

Gale grabbed Fluttershy’s hoof and moved her just before one of the hydra heads could reach her. Fluttershy then had regained her senses and started galloping away.

Gale however stayed behind, thinking he could give Fluttershy time to flee. The hydra stood before him, hissing and biting. It flails its heads around, spilling poison as it walks. Fortunately, dragon scales are resistant to it.

Three heads lashed out snapping at Gale while the fourth head spat poison. Gale responded to the attacks with grace and speed as if the wind itself flows with him. After the third head missed Gale and sank its teeth in the dirt, Gale took the opportunity to climb on its neck then slicing it off with his claws.

“No! Don’t! You will only make it angrier!” warned Fluttershy from a distance.
Nut it was too late. The stump where the head used to be began to bubble. Viscous liquid poured out from the stump later solidifies and took shape of not one but two hydra heads.

“Run Gale!” yelled Fluttershy.

The hydra cocked its heads toward Fluttershy and hissed. A jet of poison burst out of the hydra’s jaws.

“RUN!” Gale yelled.

Fluttershy tried to fly away, but as she left the ground the hydras poison caught her wings. Gale heard Fluttershy cried out in pain and watched as her body fell to the ground.

“FLUTTERSHY!” Gale called out, rushing to her side.

Gale held Fluttershy body. Her wings were horridly corroded. Fluttershy was still. The hydra was upon them. Poised to strike at them.

Then all sound ceased. The sky darkened swirled. Flashes of lightning encased the sky. Gale opened his jaws and unleashed a thunderous roar fuelled by rage. The very air around gale was heavy with static that even claws sparked with electricity.

The hydra had been dazed by the sudden force conjured by Gale but only for a moment, it went all out lashing its heads towards Gale. But then a sudden gust of wind forced the hydra back. Gale moved with extreme speed, using the wind to propel him from the ground and onto the hydra’s back. Gale raised his claw, spiked with electricity and with one slash he culled the hydra.

The hydra dropped dead, liquid poison and blood spill from its body. The wind became steady and it started to rain. Gale then came to Fluttershy once more. He succumbed to grief, tears poured uncontrollably from his eyes. He tugged her hoof and called her name but to no avail, Fluttershy lay still. Finally exhaustion overcame Gale. He lay down beside Fluttershy and fell into deep sleep.

Author's Note:

Forgive me, I'm still not good at editing. But I hope you all enjoy it. please leave comments and tell me what i did wrong alright? thanks!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment