• Published 3rd Oct 2013
  • 1,421 Views, 1,107 Comments

Birthday Wish - Midnight Spawn



I made a wish for a friend, and a pony showed up. This is my day-to-day life, making friends, saving Equestria, and keeping the ponies a secret from the world. Always looking for advice, so jump on board to help save ponykind!

  • ...
6
 1,107
 1,421

Day 9

Whew! Okay, so I moved all FIVE posts to one chapter. Now that we're a bit more organized (aside from the comments section which is everywhere), I can kind of pick up all that happened. I'm super glad you guys responded the way you did--thanks for not saying anything that would come back and haunt me. Except you, MMMBrony... why would you even bring up "Cupcakes", etc? Luckily, she didn't know too much about how the internet works. I just left it on this sight, so that's how she found it. I still can't believe she posted five times before I even found out. But you guys are the best, so thank you! I guess I should add Pinkie Pie to the list of characters, too, huh?

Oh yea, and Evedawalrus: Dude, you helped her get her cutie mark! That's awesome! It's only day 2, but she does everything fast I guess. That was the first thing she showed me when I got home.

Afternoon Post

Space. The final frontier.

“JAAAAA-aaaaames! Star Trek is on!!!” an excited voice called down the hallway.

I rushed down the stairs as fast as I could and snatched up the remote. “Pinkie Pie!” I urged, “How many times do I have to tell you?” With a flick of the switch, I turned off the TV. Then I looked at the pink mare and reminded her, “You can’t watch television when Mom and Dad are home. What would happen if they just saw the TV turn on by itself?”

Pinkie put a hoof to her chin and thought. “Umm… Think it was magic and sell it for a fortune?”

I rolled my eyes. There was no teaching this girl. “I don’t want to risk it."

"But it's Star Trek! SSSTAR TR-EK!" I mouthed the words she said next as she said them: "What's Star Trek?"

Yea, I saw that one coming. With a chuckle, I tried to explain, "Just another world the television lets you see."

"Can we go there?"

"Not today," I started walking toward the kitchen, looking for some breakfast. To my complete horror, there stood my father. Apparently, he decided to get up early and cook breakfast so my mom wouldn't have to. Curse his thoughtfulness...

"Oh, hi, Dad," I said slowly, knowing there was no way he didn't hear all that had happened in the living room.

"Good morning, James," he gave me a hug as he always does each morning. "I was wondering if I could talk to you about something."

Not good. "Of course. What is it?"

"Your mother and I are concerned. We hear you talking to yourself a lot, and we know you have a big imagination, which is great! You know we've always supported you in whatever you made up as a kid, but you're 18, and it looks a little... different for an 18 year old to be talking to imaginary friends. Do you understand?"

"Um... I don't know what you're talking about." Dang it, that was the worst possible thing I could say!

"Then who's Fluttershy? If she's not imaginary, then who is she? As your father, I think I should know about any girls you spend this much time with."

"No, Dad, there's no girl! I just... can't tell you..."

"You can't tell me what? You know you can tell me or your mother anything, right? We'll understand."

"No, it's not--nothing's wrong, all right? You probably heard me talking to myself because... I'm writing a story. And it helps me make it up when I practice what's happening... kind of. I'm just rehearsing."

My Dad smiled wide, "You're writing a story? Like a book?"

"Not really a book... just a short story."

"Well, that's great, James!" He looked really relieved and happy to hear this. "You're a good writer, I'm glad you're trying more of it."

"Yea, it's fun." Please don't ask to

"Well, I want to read it!" NO! "Yea, I really enjoyed reading that last story you wrote about that one game... Final Fantasy XIII?"

"...Final Fantasy VII."

"Yea, well, it could have been any one of those. Can I read it?"

"Um, I don't think you'd like it. Really, it's--"

"Why? I think I'd like anything that you wrote."

"Because, it's... I'm embarrassed, and I don't want you to read it, okay? It's still a work in progress. Besides, it's based on a cartoon, and I just don't think you'd like it." My dad likes cartoons, so I don't know why I said that.

"A cartoon?" He walked into the living room and brought up Netflix. "Is it My Little Pony?"

AH! The bright and colorful picture stood out in the "Recently Watched" section next to "Psych" and some show about cars. I completely forgot about that when I let Fluttershy watch it that day!

"...Or was that your sister who watched that?"

"Uh, no, that was me." He didn't look disappointed at all, just surprised. So I told him it was funny and I liked the characters, plus the fan community made a lot of really good stuff from it and had "run-on jokes" or something that made it even more fun to watch. Plus, the producer had several times taken fan-made characters and added them into the series, and what's better that, right?

Then my mom came down, and he kissed her and didn't speak of it again. I sneaked off, suddenly not hungry for breakfast, and joined Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie outside. We had decided on a place away from my front yard to feed the animals. Today, Fluttershy's gonna teach Pinkie Pie how to feed the animals, so this should be interesting.

I think it went well with my dad. As long as there's nothing morally wrong with the show, I'm sure he'll have nothing against it.

Also, I heard Luna again last night, but she said the same thing she had said before, A destiny stolen... I have no idea what it means. Maybe it has something to do with the ponies not having their cutie marks? That's all I can think of.

2nd Afternoon Post

“Here, Pinkie, like this,” Fluttershy tried to show the inexperienced mare. They were both out in the field, and I was giving them their space so as not to freak out any animals they were trying to feed. “Here you go, little rabbit. It’s your favorite: Carrots! Yum Yum! :)

The white bunny hopped over without any fear and grabbed the carrot from Fluttershy’s mouth. She looked over at me and smiled, then faced Pinkie again. “Now you try. It’s not that hard.”

Pinkie was smiling up a storm at the sight of the bunnies and the thought of getting to feed them. “Okie Dokie Lokie!” she said before hopping to the small pile of carrots they had brought with them. She picked one up in her mouth and started towards a nearby rabbit.

“Now, remember, Pinkie Pie, you have to be gentle. You don’t want to scare them,” the yellow Pegasus warned.

“Mm-kay!” Pinkie replied with her mouth full. She walked over to the bunny and leaned down. “Look!” She said as she dropped it on the ground, “I brought you a carrot to eat!” The bunny carefully sniffed the carrot. Ever so gently, it started to take a bite when it saw Pinkie standing over it with a big grin of anticipation. Startled, it hopped away and into the bushes. “Darn!” the pony stated in disappointment.

“It’s okay, Pinkie, you’ll get it. You just need to give it some space,” Fluttershy coached with at least 8 bunnies surrounding her.

I saw Pinkie grit her teeth and march back to the carrot pile. Once again, she took one in her mouth, then she ran over to the bushes and parted them with her hooves. “Hi, there! If I promise to give you your space, will you eat it? That would make Auntie Pinkie really happy!” The rabbit dashed away, followed by a, “Wait!” from Pinkie. She ran after the bunny, chasing it back forth and all around the field. “But you love carrots! You’re a bunny!”

“Um, Pinkie, I don’t think--*squeak*” Pinkie chased the rabbit right to her, scattering the bunnies that were around Fluttershy. The yellow pony ducked, and Pinkie jumped over her, carrot still in mouth, not gaining any on the terrified rabbit. “Wait, Pinkie! You’re scaring the poor thing! Just let it go and come help a different one.”

“No!” She replied, still in pursuit, “This bunny is going to eat this carrot, and it’s going to like it!” With a grunt, she threw the carrot at the rabbit without slowing down. Thank goodness she missed, but the rabbit got away. “Awww… HEY!” The pink pony turned and saw a flock of birds munching on the carrots they had set aside in a pile. “Those are not for you!”

It didn’t take her long to race over to them and scatter the flock. “If you eat all these, what will the bunnies eat?” she called after them. Then she looked around, “Where ARE all the bunnies?”

I facepalmed.

Fluttershy hurried to a bush currently occupied by several frightened rabbits. “Shh… it’s okay. There’s nothing to be afraid of. She’s really nice when you get to know her.” Then to Pinkie, “Pinkie, stand still and don’t move.”

“Okay,” she answered, sitting down.

“Are you still hungry? How about some nice, crunchy carrots? Just the thing for a healthy, growing rabbit like you!” The rabbits slowly hopped into the open, staying close to Fluttershy. She held her head up and smiled, leading them to Pinkie Pie.

When they reached her, the kind mare dropped a few carrots on the ground at the pink mare’s feet. Cautiously, a bunny approached the carrot and looked up at Pinkie Pie. After it had taken a bite and realized there was no danger, it picked up the carrot and started munching down.

Soon, the other rabbits joined in until Pinkie was surrounded by the fluffy creatures. Fluttershy flew up and placed one on her head, which brought a bird to rest there to eat. Pinkie Pie was shaking, but remained perfectly still. A soft smile occupied Fluttershy’s face before she started singing to the creatures. Figures that bunnies like singing, right?

There weren’t any lyrics, but her humming was beautiful. Fluttershy will always hold a place in my heart, because she’s the one that came to me first.

This all happened before lunch, so I’m sorry that it took me so long to post it. Oh, and one more thing…

To PinkAndYellow1025:

“Go ahead, Fluttershy. I’ll type the letters for you.”

“Oh, um… wait, you didn’t have to type that… oh, okay, that’s fine… I’ll just… PinkAndYellow1025? That’s a nice name. Um. That was really nice of you to say that, and I’m glad that you… that you… *squeak*”

“It’s alright, Fluttershy, everyone here is nice. Say what you wanted to say.”

“That’s all right. I’m sure PinkAndYellow knows already…”

“Fluttershy, there’s no reason to be afraid here. Now, I know you can do this. That you…?”

“I… um… I’m glad that he’s making friends, and”

“Now, it could be a girl, you never know.”

“Oh, sorry… I didn’t mean”

“No, it’s okay, go on.”

“Oh yea, um, I’m glad that you’re making friends because I know sometimes it’s hard, but friends are one of the greatest things you can have on this planet. And thank you for the nice comment, and I hope that you stay shy so I’m not… the only one.”

“Fluttershy!”

“*blushes* …sorry, was that rude?”

“Kind of. I’m sure you’re forgiven.”

“Oh, good. I hope he learns how to make friends and is surrounded by really nice people who love him… or her for who he is… or her…”

“Well, don’t say it to me.”

“Oh yea, um, *with confidence* I hope that you learn how to make friends and are surrounded by really nice people who love you for who you are. You just have to spread your wings and find them. Does she have wings?”

“Probably not, but she has other things like personality and talents that can help her fly, so I’m sure she appreciates the comment.”

“Oh, good! I appreciate her, too. Sometimes, we just need to be treated with a little kindness.”

“Aint that the truth.”