• Published 3rd Oct 2013
  • 1,422 Views, 1,107 Comments

Birthday Wish - Midnight Spawn



I made a wish for a friend, and a pony showed up. This is my day-to-day life, making friends, saving Equestria, and keeping the ponies a secret from the world. Always looking for advice, so jump on board to help save ponykind!

  • ...
6
 1,107
 1,422

Twilight's 2nd Trial (2 posts)

Twilight paced back and forth in front of the stairs. James had been gone a while.

One brief flash of light later, the two unicorns were together again. James looked... a little beat up. Hehe.

"James! How did it go with the others?"

"Well... Fluttershy had to walk through a room while other ponies hit on her."

"Wow."

"And Rarity had to walk through a room while other ponies stood around and DIDN'T hit on her."

"Oh."

"Then Rainbow Dash had to fly through an obstacle course while Cloudsdale threatened to explode."

"Yikes."

"Pinkie Pie had to watch paint dry..."

"Again?"

"...And Applejack had to make a stallion fall in love with her within a certain time limit."

"How'd that go?"

"She won... sort of..."

Twilight! Are you ready for your second test?

"Here we go. You ready James?"

The tiny colt looked up at her, "We haven't lost a challenge yet. Let's do it!"

As usual, the test is simple. I'm going to present some ponies to you that look just like your friends. All you have to do is distinguish which ones are your real friends, and zap the others!

"What? But what if I--"

Zap your real friends? Yes, that would be a problem, wouldn't it? But we do have to keep things interesting, now don't we?

"It's okay, Twilight, no one knows your friends like you do. You can do this!"

Let the games begin.

Post #2

"No, her mane's too short..." ZZZT!

"Where's her cutie mark?" ZZZT!

"That one's... squawking like a parrot..." ZZZT!

"Rarity... in a cowgirl costume?"

"Wait! What if Stormcloud dressed her up like that so you'd automatically zap her?"

"Hmm..." Twilight walked up to the pony. "Greetings, my name is Twilight Sparkle. What's yours"

"Well, howdy do! Mah name's Rarity. I just spruced myself all purty lahk in time for--"

ZZZT!

"Okay, next."

ZZZT!

ZZZT!

ZZZT!

"Is that... me as a human?"

"Oh wow... yes, I think it is."

"No offense, James, but..."

ZZZT!

"Do you even remember that?" James had to ask.

"Remember what?"

"You kind of took that form once."

"James, I think I'd remember if something like that happened."

"Right... Twilight, you keep chipping away, I'm going to... go... you know."

James walked away to the corner of the room. "Stormcloud, are you here? I want to speak with you."

...

"Stormcloud, would you just listen? I need to talk with you."

...

"Fine. Don't show up, but I'm talking anyway. I just want to know... where am I?"

...

"Look, Twilight doesn't remember anything about turning into human which can only mean one of two things: Either she lost her memory somehow or it didn't happen. I doubt the first, which means if it didn't happen... am I really in Equestria?"

...

"If this is some alternate Equestria you put together to play with me--"

"Of course not, silly colt! This is Equestria, just not the one you know."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... I thought you'd have figured it out by now."

"Ugh! Would you just speak normally?"

"You're aware of the Equestria from that show, but that's not the only dimension out there. There are other timelines, ones where things happened differently."

"...I'm listening..."

"You want to know where you are? You're in Equestria, just not the exact one you think you know. This is a different Equestria, placed separately on the timeline."

"So, in this timeline, Equestria Girls never happened?"

"Many things happened differently." At that moment, Stormcloud appeared and floated to the ground.

"Wait... you're King Sombra?"

"Not quite."

"I'm so confused!"

"I'm from earth. Like you."

"You're... do I know you?"

"No. I traveled to Equestria long before you were born. There was nothing left for me in that world... no friends, no family, no future... when I was called here. It was a chance to get away, and I took it. Upon entering this Equestria, I found my doppelganger to be King Sombra, a powerful and strong pony. With this much power, I could live such a life! Anything I wanted--wealth, command, respect--was mine to take! No more being walked over by the people back home. No more being weak and unaccepted!"

"That's not how to earn respect!"

"Oh, what would you know! You're just a child! I don't even know why I'm talking to you about this."

"Wait, please don't leave! That doesn't explain some things!"

"Since when was it my job to explain things to you? There's just one more room... looks like Twilight's almost finished here."

"Hold on, one more thing... I'm sorry."

"Huh? For what?"

"I don't know... you just seemed like you really needed to hear that. Much more than you needed revenge."

"Pfft! You don't know me. I'm still going to end you."

"You'd do that to your only friend?"

WE ARE NOT FRIENDS!

One more room before you reach the top, Twilight Sparkle. You've done surprisingly well. But through that door is the hardest trial you've ever faced, and as my last line of defense, I'm going to make sure you don't pass!

"Wow, James, I can't believe we made it! All this way, from earth to Equestria, to war, to the top of the tower... it's almost over. We've almost won! Let's go defeat this menace and take back our land!"

"Uh-hu... sure..."

"You okay? Don't worry, Stormcloud will pay for his crimes. With you by my side, we'll beat him and banish him forever!"

"Right... hmm..."