• Published 3rd Oct 2013
  • 1,421 Views, 1,107 Comments

Birthday Wish - Midnight Spawn



I made a wish for a friend, and a pony showed up. This is my day-to-day life, making friends, saving Equestria, and keeping the ponies a secret from the world. Always looking for advice, so jump on board to help save ponykind!

  • ...
6
 1,107
 1,421

Day 16 Belongs to the Rebels (3 posts)

The combination of the song and the mental images of the two sisters together was enough to make the dark mare pause. All throughout the song, you could see her battling with Stormcloud. As he felt his support crumble, Stromcloud knew he couldn't hold on, and his influence over her was shattered, causing Luna to revert to her normal form.

A few seconds later, Stormcloud was lying on the floor, worn and cursing his own weakness. His magic had failed him! That's it... I'm done... His body now felt completely without rest, and King Sombra was on the verge of pushing him out. And he knew this was the end.

Stormcloud looked over at the two princesses. There was a lot of tears, a lot of forgiving. It's like they were mocking him! Mocking him for being alone... I want that...

"You want what?" Twilight was suddenly behind him.

Ah! Oh, Twilight... if you're here to finish me... please do it. I'm ready.

Twilight did nothing. "What do you want?"

Stormcloud closed his eyes. Hnng... she tried to kill her! But she forgave her... how can that be?

Twilight was sad that such a thing was so unbelievable to him. "That's what friends do--they forgive. Just like... *sigh* just like I forgive you... Stormcloud."

Oh, don't be ridiculous! What I did was unforgivable!

"Oh, I saw what you did. I saw you purposefully make it so nopony could die. I saw you never slaughter us in our base, even when you had us captive. I saw the good in you, and I know it's still there."

Stormcloud looked back at the two sisters. Well... it's too late for me, now.

"No, it's not." Twilight glanced over at James questioningly. When he nodded his head, Twilight looked back over at Stormcloud and said, "We're all ready to forgive you if you're ready to forgive yourself."

That's not what I meant.

James joined the two. "You mean Sombra pushing you out of his body? Don't worry--when you go back to yourself on earth, I'll find you. And we can be friends. That's what you wanted right?"

No, James, you don't get it! My old self is dead. I've been here for so many years, if I went back now I'd be dust. Don't think that time isn't moving there while you're here. I'm old... and once King Sombra pushes me out... that's the end for me.

"...Then wouldn't you like to do one good thing before you go?" James asked. "A chance to do something good by changing all the ponies back to normal."

Heh heh, that's right--I promised I'd change them all back if you won. Well, I'm a pony of my word. Stormcloud's horn flashed then glowed. In another flash, ponies all over Equestria returned to normal. They started smiling, laughing, and running to their loved ones. But in the tower, Stormcloud's strength was failing.

"Thank you, Stormcloud. You're a good friend."

You know what? That actually felt good... my student was right... I wish I could have made it all up to you... ugh! But, I'm out of time.

"But you did! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here. I never would have met these ponies, and I'd still feel all alone in the world. So... thank you."

Wow... I never thought when it all ended you'd be thanking me. Stormcloud smiled and laid his head on the floor.

And he fell asleep.

James and Twilight stayed for a few more seconds, but then they ran over to Celestia and hugged her. The other ponies joined them, talking about everything that had happened. They laughed at some parts and skipped over other parts entirely. Rainbow Dash wanted to know how "Daddy" was doing, but before she could find out, there was another laugh filling the room.

Hahahaha! It feels SO good to be back!

"Darn... King Sombra..."

Post #2

"Now wait," Celestia said to the other ponies, "We don't know if he's actually evil."

"Uh," James assured her, "Trust me--he's evil. He enslaved the entire Crystal Empire!"

"What?"

"Oh... nothing. He's evil. Hey, King Sombra! Long time no see! Last time I heard of you, you were defeated so quickly that... ahem, I was planning on making a joke here, but your face was enough of one."

King Sombra growled.

"Still a pony of few words, I see." James stood next to the princess, looking especially small next to her. "Princess Celestia, just in case you were thinking of banishment, may I suggest something a bit more drastic?"

The two sisters looked at him, surprised.

"Cause he'll come back... y-you'll just have to... trust me again..."

Celestia was still weak from her last battle, but she stood as if an army couldn't stand against her. "Stormcloud!"

No! You stand against King Sombra! A forcefield appeared, separating the two princesses from the rest of the ponies. Bow to your new king!

Luna smirked. She looked at her big sister. "Together?"

"Together." The princesses both looked at King Sombra then leaned low to the ground. In unison, they took off and flew straight for the evil stallion. Sombra reared back and attempted to slash at the smaller sister, but Luna rolled out of the way with plenty of space to spare. With Sombra recovering from his failed attack, Celestia created a shield in front of her and ran straight into him, launching him back towards the wall.

The self-proclaimed King wasn't without his own tricks, though. Before he hit the wall, he transformed into a dark mist, turning around and flying back at his foes.

Meanwhile, James trotted away, calling, "I'll be right back. Tell me what I missed!"

Back in the fight, Stormcloud solidified again above them, baring his teeth and falling for their throats. Once again, though, Celestia jumped aside without a scratch on her, only to let Luna have the honors of kicking the pony in the chin. As Sombra staggered backwards, Celestia flew up and shot a blast of magic at him. It engulfed him, lifting him off the ground.

"Alright, I'm back!" James trotted back in carrying the Elements of Harmony. "Here you go. You can finally use these!"

"I don't think that will be necessary, James," Twilight said, motioning toward the evil pony suspended in the air.

"Aw man! I really wanted to see you use them up close... curse you Sombra for being beaten so easily!"

Luna shot her own magic at him, the two sister's combining their powers. There was a huge flash of light...

...and everything was gone.

The castle was gone. Equestria was gone. The ponies were gone. James stood in a pure white area.

"W-what?" James looked around. What was he standing on? He seemed to be just floating there... he was still a pony, so he must be in Equestria, right? Where am I?

In the distance, Princess Celestia could be seen walking towards him. "Hello, James. We won."

Post #3

"We won? It's all over?" James covered the distance between them. Suddenly ashamed of the fact that he hardly ever bowed to her majesty, he bent down low before her elegance.

"Arise. I think you know why I am here."

"You... it's time to go back, isn't it?" Celestia nodded her head. The tiny pony sighed... "Wow, it all ended so fast! One second we were climbing the tower, then the next..." James looked up at the beauty standing before him. He was glad it was over, but despite knowing he was going back soon, he hadn't been ready.

"I fear a simple thank you is not enough for all you have done for us. What do you wish? To stay here in Equestria?"

"...no... I can't do that to my family. And somehow, deep down, I know I don't belong here."

"I'm sorry you only got to see Equestria in its fallen state. But thanks to you, Equestria will be beautiful and peaceful once again."

"Good. That's all I want."

Celestia smiled. "I'm sure that's not the only thing you wish. Please tell me what I can do for you."

"Well... there are a couple of things..."

"Then name it and, if it is within my power, I shall do my best to see it through."

"For starters, please don't let me forget. And the ponies-- whenever something like this ends with everyone losing their memory that it ever happened... just please let the ponies remember me. I didn't even get to say goodbye."

"James--"

"Promise."

"...Very well. I will trust your judgement."

Wow! For the princess to say that... that's a really big honor.

"Anything else?"

"Take care of Fluttershy." I know you guys are probably shouting things at the screen for me to ask for, but in front of Celestia, it's different.

"Of course."

"And tell Spike he's awesome."

"Haha! I will. Surely there is something more? It was not just you who saved us, after all. Do you have anything to say in their place?"

"...I knew you were going to bring that up."

"You don't want them to come here?"

"Well... I say it's up to you. It's your land, and you are far wiser than I. I think they'll respect your decision no matter what it is. So do what you think is best."

"You are a very wise pony, James."

"Well... so, the others? They REALLY want to come here."

"I will call for them. But only when the time is right."

"So you will?"

"The time is coming when Equestria will need them. When that time comes, I will call for them."

James nodded. Fair enough. If Celestia is okay with it, how bad could it be, right?

"If I could have one more request?"

"What is it?"

"There are a few people who might be better off not remembering any of this. My parents? Just for their ease of mind. And... my ease of their wrath... and the police, too, I guess you'd have to."

"I will make all those who know you suspect nothing." Celestia agreed. "Now you must go."

"...Okay... gosh, I'm going to miss you."

"We will never forget you or what you have done." The room started getting brighter. "One more thing, James: There is someone else near your house. He will be your friend. Just talk about me."

"He's a brony? What's his name?"

"You can ask him that yourself. He will believe your story if you so choose to tell him."

Then...

...well, then I was back. I was at my house. I looked down at myself. Human. James. My old life.

After a moment, I walked into my house. My mom greeted me with a smile, cleaning up after dinner. She asked if Sarah and I had a good time. I looked and saw Sarah walk up to me with a knowing look. It was obvious she remembered.

A few minutes later, I was opened my laptop and went to my story. Yep. It was there. But what caught my eye was the image I had stolen for it...

I've said it before, but Fluttershy will always have a special place in my heart because she came to me first. When I felt alone, she was the pony who gave me hope. I whispered goodbye to the image and closed the laptop.

This time life was going to be different. I would have friends because of the boy I would find, and I would see the ponies every time they came on TV. My sister and I were closer than ever, and I finally felt a kind of happiness amongst the pain of loss. I guess this is where my life goes back to normal... but I'll never be the same.

I used to wonder what friendship could be

until Fluttershy came and shared its magic with me.