• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 228 Views, 0 Comments

Equetria's Detective Reason: Clouds, Memory, and the Detective - FirestarLeon



Reason wakes up in a dark cave with no memory about himself or anything. His only clue points to a place called Cloudsdale, and he soon learns a dastardly plot. Now it's up to Reason to follow clues and instinct, and uncover this mystery.

  • ...
 0
 228

chapter 7

No! This cannot be true Fluttershy dear! It can't be!

The Princess said it was true. She… She even gave me instructions to be very careful around him. I told her I could handle it. Since we've all have had the experience with his type. She even told me to keep it a secret. I'm sorry girls. But I didn't want to make the princess mad. But now I've made you both mad. Sorry.

It's okay Fluttershy! Don't be sorry, I'm not mad. Just really confused.

Pinkie! The great and handsome gentlecolt we've all come to care for is no more than a ghastly, lying, horrible, evil-

Well Rare. That's just it. He wasn't all those nasty things. I happened to know if somepony is good or not. You could say it's another talent of mine.

I… I think Pinkie's right Rarity.

What! You're agreeing with her?! But you just said-

I… said that's what Celestia told me. I don't believe it for a second though. When I first saw Reason in the library asleep, I was so scared. But then I saw Twilight there too. Later I found out she was helping him. That he was lost and confused. And when I finally looked into his eyes… I didn't see evil or hate… I saw sorrow and kindness. I think Celestia's wrong. Reason isn't a monster. Or at least…

At least what Fluttershy?

Pinkie. Darling. He doesn't remember being a monster.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"You stole payment slips?! Are you insane guys?!" Spike shouted out for all to hear.

Twilight silenced him, and I continued on.

"Now. First things first. The calendar. It seems to be as simple as orders on what day the weather should be like. But what I found weird was why it was under the floor. I have no idea why it was there, though I can guess. But what's important is that what's on it. To anypony else, it's numbers and other such gibberish. But, it's what perhaps Rainbow Dash saw that's important."

I opened up some pages, showing off some of the orders for areas, days, etc. Then I pointed out some faded out marks.

"Here. She was taking notes. Now some of these are as simple as, 'Applejack's farm' and other such. But some are very different. Like here, one week ago. A hot week with little clouds around. Near the end of the week, it lists the same as all the others. Rainbow though, put's down, 'must be mistake. Changing to rain. Send letter regarding mistake and change.'"

Applejack nodded. "I remember that. Right now, us and a lot of the other farmers around Ponyville are still in growing season. That week had been quite hard on us, so I asked Dash if she could make it rain some. She agreed, and it rained a hour later."

"Yes. But what's strange is after awhile she keeps writing in things about 'mistakes, needs looked into, why,' and other such notes. But the problem is, what is the problem? It seems like just weather patterns to me. So, we look into the payment slips."

I looked over at Twilight, and she started going through her saddle bag. In the meantime, I looked over at Applejack.

"But before that, Applejack. While the payment slips are another key to the puzzle, the biggest clue is your visitor. Can you tell me anything about him?"

Applejack started to look mad just at the thought of recounting the tale.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

"Well. This fancy dressed pony came over to the barn the day before I found ya in our barn. He mentioned something about how I wasn't paying my weather fees. Now I called him out on this, knowing full well I paid them bills."

"You have to pay for the weather?"

"Well of course sugercube. How else do you think the weather mares and colts make their livin? Weather service is a job only pegasi can do. And its government work, so you pay bills for the weather. It's cheap anyway, and it's mostly farmer troubles. Otherwise mayors and other such can ask for a collection if a town or city wants different or specific weather."

"Interesting. And you said he harassed you?"

"Why yes! He tried to explain why I should pay my bills and such. Talking to me like I was stupid or something! Finally I told him to get, before I show him how I buck the trees using his smug face as a demonstration!" Applejack took a moment to recompose herself. "When he left, he told me there would be consequences for this, and ran off to town. The day was quiet after that. Until I woke up to find you asleep in my barn."

"What race was he?"

"I'm… not sure sugercube. He had on a coat like yours. He wasn't a unicorn. But he could have been a earth pony, or pegasus. His wings could have been hiding under his coat after all."

Our conversation was ended when Twi came back with the folder. She levitated it onto the table and I opened it up for all to see.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Inside I showed that all that was inside was statements. Listing all of the payment slips that had been sent to Rainbow's bank.

"Now, here's where things get interesting. Now looking back on Rainbow's other payments, it's pretty consistent. Until around the same time Rainbow's notes showed up. Then the payments got bigger. She was receiving more bits then she ever had before."

Spike spoke up, followed with a sarcastic tone. "Did you ever think she just got a pay raise?"

"No Spike. Think about it. Strange weather Rainbow's noticing. Bigger payments. Applejack's visitor. And the final clue to the puzzle."

Twi spoke up now. "Your investigation and memory wipe. You were to find out what Rainbow Dash was realizing. You came here to talk to Applejack about the visitor. Meet an informant perhaps. Then head off to Cloudsdale. Where Rainbow's employers were."

All eyes were, including mine, on Twilight. Who was levitating my list and looking straight at me with a questioning look.

I could only laugh and smile.

"Well, isn't it just elementary Trotson? Yes, that's correct. I think I was investigating something that was going down with Rainbow's employers. Now whether I knew what the crime was or not, I was putting the evidence together. But I was stopped midway. I propose that I was intercepted, lured into the infamous cave. Only to be attacked by somepony, and wiped of my memory. Somepony very powerful, who could cast the memory wipe spell."

All was silent. No one dared to move as all of it sank in.

It was Twilight who finally broke the silence.

"We have to tell the guards. They need to know all this. If we hurry, maybe we can go get them at Rainbow's house."

I shook my head. This was going to be the hard part to explain.

"Twi. I think those weren't royal guards."

And that's when the objections began.

"Horse apples! How in tarnation could you know that?"

"Why didn't you stop them then?"

"Why would there be fake royal guards?"

On and on the questions and objections went. And every time I tried to get back attention, they ignored me. On. And on. And on it went. On. And on. And-

I slammed my hooves on the table. Making a loud bang sound, and emitting a huge burst of light green light.

"SHUT UP!"

All became silent as all three of my friends looked at me with new found fear and shock in their eyes. I took a deep breath and sighed. I'm not sure where that came from. But right now, I really don't care.

"Whoever is doing all this is very powerful." I continued. "They have ponies with powerful magic, and who knows what else. It wouldn't come as surprise if they had placed royal guards. Remember when I said the crime scene looked too much like a crime scene? Well, like I said, I don't know all the details. But I can guess these guys want this rapped up quick. Plus they knew me, in the creepy kinda way. I don't know why that was, but they were surprised to see me there."

Twilight chimed in. "So what your saying is, is that they were sent to destroy possible evidence they missed. Then just fill out a report and let the case sit with, what seems to be, no leads. But wouldn't Celestia know about all this?"

Applejack answered before I could. "Maybe she does know, but she can't do anything about it. I recon Reason is suggesting that Rainbow was being bribed into something. But she denied and got kidnapped for it. Maybe the same is being done to Celestia. She can't do anything."

All became silent again. We all stayed frozen and quite for so long, I had begun to wonder if time had froze.

Luckily this wasn't the case when Spike looked over at Twilight.

"So what do we do now?"

All eyes fell from Twilight, to me. I knew there was only one answer though.

"Well ladies, and gentledragons. Looks like I'm off to Cloudsdale. To finish what I had started. Only with a little less memory for a guide."
____________________________________________________________________________________

Applejack had left after my announcement. She said she'd be back tomorrow morning to see us off. Spike went off to bed. But Twilight was ready to fight me down on my decision. Though I quickly pointed out we don't have many options.

We decided to both go off to bed and be ready for tomorrow. I guess I'm not going to go alone after all. That's good. Because honestly, I think Twilight would be better in a fight then me.

With that, I went off to the guest room. There, I hung my coat and tie then settled into bed.

These are my friends. They need my help. I'm going to stop the pony behind this, and get Rainbow Dash back. Or… I'll die trying!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ugh, back here again? Hello?! Miss voice? Are you here?

Why are you doing all this? You don't remember who you are, and even if you did, you wouldn't help these ponies. Why then, help them?

…Because. They're my friends. And it's the right thing to do.

Have you looked in a mirror? What did you see?

Myself, Why?

What does a mirror have to do with this?

My name is Princess Luna. And you, creature, would be wise to follow my words. Find yourself and you'll see the truth. Cloudsdale. Cloud storage number two. There we will all see if in loss, there is redemption.

Wait! What are you talking about? What is that supposed to mean? Luna! Luna! Bloody hay… The fun never ends.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment