• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 228 Views, 0 Comments

Equetria's Detective Reason: Clouds, Memory, and the Detective - FirestarLeon



Reason wakes up in a dark cave with no memory about himself or anything. His only clue points to a place called Cloudsdale, and he soon learns a dastardly plot. Now it's up to Reason to follow clues and instinct, and uncover this mystery.

  • ...
 0
 228

Chapter 3

"And you're sure of this?"

"Without a doubt sister. But he seems to have forgotten who he is."

"Forgotten? How?"

"I'm not sure sister. But he must be dealt with. You know what he's capable of! I will go now and deal with him. He must be stopped."

"That won't be necessary. I will keep watch of him and see what he does. There must be a reason he's here in Equestria."

"You're going to let Him run around? He has to be stopped. He might not know what he can do, but we do! He'll cause chaos and panic."

"I don't think so. Let's just watch. Besides, if he is just as evil as he once was, then I think a certain student of mine can handle it herself."

"If… If you say so sister. But when he starts causing panic, I'll be right there to deal with him. Mark. My. Words."

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel really stupid I couldn't find this dumb library. I think a new born foal could find this place. Me? No. I have to wonder around for another two hours before I find the bloody thing. So much for keeping a low profile. Everypony in Ponyvile has probably seen my bruised flank twice I'd bet. Oh well I'm here now.

I knocked on the door three times before I heard a voice from inside.

"Just come in already! It's a public library pal!"

Huh. I just assume Twilight was a young mare. Well, goes to show. Never judge a book by-

The door swung open as a young dragon of all things came into view. He looked quite annoyed, and seemed to be carrying some books.

"Hey. As long as you're standing there, can you help me with these things?"

I shrugged and took the stack of books he was carrying in my hooves. It was a bit awkward having to walk on two legs, but I managed.

I took the stacks of books and set them on a table in the edge of the main room. The library is big that's for sure. Though admittedly a bit messy.

"Okay. That's one way to carry books." The dragon approached me, now with a nice greeting smile on his face. "Now how can I help you?"

I cleared my throat before speaking. "Yes, well. I've come to see Miss Twilight. I was told she could help in my predicament. Is she your master little one?"

Wrong choice of words. The little dragon tossed his greeting smile, for one of hatred. "Master!? What do think I am? Some house hold pet!? I oughta-"

"Spike?" A young mare's voice sounded from upstairs. "What are you yelling about? Who's here?"

Spike grumbled a bit before answering. "Nothing. You have a visitor. Some fancy dress unicorn."

The sound of hooves echoed from upstairs. Finally I could see a young purple unicorn galloping down stairs. Once grounded, she walked over to me with a big smile.

"Hi! Welcome to Ponyvile. My name's Twilight Sparkle. Did you need something? I can offer… offer…"

She stopped for some reason. She tilted her head slightly to the left and began looking me over. She started circling me, her horn strangely flashing. After a moment of this, she started asking questions.

"Were you hurt sir? You have a lot of bruises and badages."

"Yes in fact I was. I woke up in a cave out near the mountains and hills. It seemed I was attacked. The attacker even causing a cave in to trap me."

"Oh my! Do you remember who attacked you mister…?"

"I don't know who attacked me. I don't even remember my own name. I think in the scuffle, my attacker must have hit me over the head. I can't remember anything. My name. Occupation. Magic."

"That's, unusual. Even if you lost your memory, you should be able to remember your magic. That's a subconscious thing, you'd just know it. As for who you are, does the name Reason mean anything to you?"

Reason. Reason. I feel like I should know this. Sounds important. But it doesn't ring any bells.

"No Twilight. I'm not familiar with that name. Why? Should I know it?"

Twilight gave a sad smile. "Well. After looking at you more closely, I recognized you. The coat, the mane, and that all familiar cutie mark. You are the great detective Reason. One of Canterlot's finest investigators. I had never met you personally. But I did read a story you published. The adventures of Sherlock Whooves. One of my favorites."

I was speechless. Me? A detective? Where do I live? Who are my relitives? Do I have a wife?!

I charged into Twi's face and screamed, nearly making her fall on her flank. "You have to help me! I need to know, tell me everything you know about me!"

"Easy there pal!" Spike quickly broke in. "No need to go crazy on us."

"Sorry." I stepped back, blushing in humiliation. "I've just been running all over the place trying to find out who I am. My only clue was this watch and a note I found in that cave."

Twilight took a moment to recompose herself, as I took out the respective items. Only to have them taken in a glow of purple aura. They floated over. Both Spike and Twilight gave the list a glance. Then the watch.

Twilight, after some fiddling, opened the watch and mouthed the quote inside.

"I'm not sure about the list. But as for the watch, I've never heard you using the quote."

A moment of silence past. Unsure of what to say about that, I changed the subject.

"In any case, can you help me remember?"

Twilight hesitated. But it was replaced with a look of determination.

"Don't worry. I'll look around and see if I can find that memory spell. Have no fear Reason. In the mean time through." She turned toward Spike. "Spike? Can you please make some tea? And show Reason the restroom so he can clean himself up?"

"Sure thing. This way Reason."
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I looked at myself in the mirror. I've taken off my tie and coat. It's a strange feeling, looking at yourself and not familiar with the sight. The white coat, grey mane, and light green eyes. None of it feels familiar.

"I am detective Reason." I say experimentally. I let the words linger. And, it feels no more real. How horrible it feels to say your name and have it feel unnatural.

I hope Twilight can help. I want my life back. I want my memory.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

After cleaning up,I got redressed and came back into the main room to find Twilight reading through book after book. She looks so determine. I find that very inspirational. Not to mention she's very, very-

I shook my head, clearing the thought. What is wrong with me? I could be married. Or at least, seeing someone. Why can't I keep myself under control?

Twilight must have heard me come in. She turned her head in my direction and waved a hoof. I trotted over to her to find her beaming.

"Before I try the spell, I want to teach you some spells. Just as an experiment to see if jogs something. Now two spells you'll use frequently is the levitate spell, and the light spell. All you have to do is feel the magic in you. Then, let it flow into your horn."

I nodded and tried myself. I closed my eyes, and tried to feel the magic. I could feel something. Something. Something very familiar. Something, something scary. I'm not sure about this.

"Yes, just like that. Now the energy is flowing into your horn. Now for the light spell, let the energy bloom into a beacon of hope. A light so strong, that even from the moon you could see it."

I gave her a questioning look. Complete with a raised eyebrow. Twilight blush and laughed shyly.

"Just work with me here."

I rolled my eyes. But I tried it how she described and sure enough. A glow of green filled the room.

"Very good. Now for the levitating spell, try to do the same thing. But this time try to imagine the magic energy enveloping an object. Then command it to come over to you."

Sure enough. Works like a charm.

"That's great! See, I knew you'd remember." She paused looking at me expectantly. "So…"

"Sorry. Nothing. Though it did feel, familiar. But different. I don't know how to explain it."

Twi shrugged. "It's okay. I just wanted to see if you had any reaction. Now let's see if we can reignite those memories."

Twilight moved up to my face and touched her horn on my forehead. She was a little close for comfort. If the blushing on both of our faces wasn't enough of an indicator. Oh well. If it meant I could remember again, who cares?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

After a few minutes of standing around waiting for Twilight to say something. She suddenly pulled away and went back to her books. I can only guess something went wrong, since I don't feel any different.

"Miss Sparkle? What's wrong? Did it work?"

Twilight turned and faced me again. Her face a flash of different emotions.

"Detective Reason. I don't know what to say. It's like, like your memories aren't even there. Like they never existed. The only explanation is. Well…"

"Yes?!"

"Whoever attacked you. They casted a spell I read was lost to all pony kind. A spell that I'm sure no pony could use in all of Equestria. The memory wipe. It was used in a long ancient war. After the conflict, Princess Celestia banned the use of the spell. I can only speculate-"

"Memory wipe? Doesn't that just make me not remember?" I interrupted. I can put two and two together. I know what she says before she says it. But I need to know. I need to know I'm wrong.

"Reason… It destroys memories." She answered.