• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 228 Views, 0 Comments

Equetria's Detective Reason: Clouds, Memory, and the Detective - FirestarLeon



Reason wakes up in a dark cave with no memory about himself or anything. His only clue points to a place called Cloudsdale, and he soon learns a dastardly plot. Now it's up to Reason to follow clues and instinct, and uncover this mystery.

  • ...
 0
 228

Chapter 5

Sister, I've meet up with the other one. He asked a lot of questions, but I was vague like you asked. The story is starting to come together.

Yes. And my undercover pony has sent me information on Him. She has confirmed his memory loss, and his strange behavior.

I've also been coming to some of my own conclusions. Some very… shocking conclusions.

Hm. So… You know. Luna. I know I may seem heartless for doing nothing, but you must understand. I had no choice. They had me in a position that is too risky.

I'm starting to think your being a coward sister! You've fought great and powerful enemies in the past, but these fiends just slide by?!

Luna… I've come to see when these ponies make threats, they keep them. This incident with Reason has proven they're resourceful. When they threaten me, I knew it could all be plausible.

All the more reason to do something Tia! You must have faith in the loyalty of our pegasus subjects! Even if that loyalty could mean turning on their own.

Luna…

I told you if He caused chaos in Equestria, I would deal with it myself. And now I mean it for these traitors. I will act. And I'm not afraid to play the villain for the good of all ponies in Equestria. If these fiends threaten war, then I shall show them what nightmares come from endangering the peace between the three races. They shall feel my-

ENOUGH! You will do nothing of the sort. You have no idea of what it means to be a leader for as long as I've been! I have the possibility of civil war on my hands, and if doing nothing directly is what I must do, then so be it. You know nothing of these choices, because of that kind of thinking. The same thinking that had you banished. And if you wish then to go off, and let all the work I've spent trying to solve this problem through other means then starting a war I know we can avoid. Then I will be more than willing to send you back to that rock!

… Tia… I…

…Luna… I'm so sorry. I've… I can't remember the last time I was so… angry. I… I didn't mean it! It's just… when the fate of peace rests in your hooves, you tend to… you know I would never… I've tried to find a way… but… Luna! Wait! I…

Your majesty, is something the matter? Me and the other guards heard screaming.

Your highness?

... Go… Just go… I want to be alone.

Oh course your highness. Let's go men.

…I hope you can find a way to solve this. And maybe if you can't. Maybe another can…

*poof*

A letter? Twilight? What could it be of all… oh no!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a nightmare. On one of the happiest day I've had, it's turned sour quick.

After Fluttershy cried herself out, she passed out. Me, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie went off to get her into the hospital. While Applejack and Twilight went to go get help from Canterlot and the mayor. Personally a part of me wants to round up some of the town's people and search, but Fluttershy needs help right now.

I carried Fluttershy, while Rarity used her magic to make sure she didn't fall. Even Pinkie Pie helped by running ahead to warn the hospital of the situation.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"And you're sure she's fine?"

"I wouldn't worry detective. She was just in shock and was exhausted. She just needs some rest." The doctor assured.

I sighed in relief "If you say so. Thanks doc."

The doctor smiled and trotted off. I went off back into the hospital hallway to find a very distressed Rarity, and a very sad looking Pinkie pie with… straight hair?

"Uh. You okay there Pinkie?"

She looked over at me. Her voice monotone, and her eyes dead. "Rainbow Dash is suffering right now."

"Pinkie, how could you know that? We haven't even seen the crime-"

I was interrupted by a nurse calling down for a cupcake call. This announcement got Pinkie's attention, redoing her hair, and restoring her to normal. With a huge grin, she zoomed off.

"Right." I said with a sigh. I think I've come to grips that Pinkie Pie is a bit out there.


I went over to Rarity to find her drying her eyes with a handkerchief. She offered it to me, but I declined.

"Are you sure detective?" She asked, still holding it out.

"Believe me, I'm fine. Look, I want to help find Miss Dash. But I need some info on her."

Rarity stayed silent, still drying her eyes. It took her a minute or two but she nodded.

"Great. Now, first off, did Rainbow Dash have any enemies?"

Rarity gasped dramatically. "Detective. You may have not known Rainbow, but she was beloved by just about anypony around. I'll admit her ego, temper, and other such things could stand in the way. But look hard enough and you'll find a pony with a heart of gold."

"Even so, she must have had enemies. Are you sure no one would want back at her for something?"

"Well." Rarity paused "There was the time with Gilda. But I doubt that after so long that she would now get back at Rainbow. Though I guess Griffins will be Griffins."

I nodded. Though I have no idea what a griffin is, at least I have a something.

"Why would this Gilda want to hurt Rainbow Dash?"

"The whole ordeal was that Gilda was a very good friend of Rainbow's. But we all saw her true colors. She was a mean and nasty griffin. End of story. But I suppose that it was also Rainbow Dash made a fool of Gilda. Or, was that Pinkie Pie? I can't remember. It's been so long ago."

I sighed, that wasn't too helpful, but I can tell she's trying. I give her a warm smile.

"Thanks Rarity. You did well back there. You were very brave and calm during that whole ordeal. And in every chance you gave something up that somepony else need. I find that admirable."

"Oh Reason. Thank you. And believe me, I've seen and been through a lot worse."

After my talk with Rarity, I talked to Pinkie Pie and she said she'd stay and watch over Fluttershy. Even if Rarity left. Though I doubt Rarity would even think of leaving.
____________________________________________________________________________________

I left the hospital and went over to the library. I found Twilight pacing frantically, with no sign of Applejack and Spike.

When she finally noticed me, she only slowed her pace by a little.

"Reason, how could this be happening? One friend being kidnapped was terrifying. The second time, although the same friend, was absolutely horrifying. But now again? We don't even know what happened. Rainbow Dash of all ponies. Why would anypony take Rainbow Dash? Why-"

"Twilight!" I shouted. That got her attention, and she stop pacing. "Look, I don't know why Rainbow Dash was taken. Heck, we don't know what the bloody hay happened. But I intend to find out. Now I need you to prepare a cloud walk spell."

"Reason. You're in no condition to go back on the job! Now I appreciate that you care, but I'm sure the royal guards can handle it. I've sent a letter to the Princess Celestia and when Spike returns with Applejack from the mayor we will have even more help."

Celestia? I'd bet she's in charge. But how does Twi know her?

"Twi, after everything you've done for me, and the kindness you've shown. I couldn't do that. And even without my memory, I think that solving mysteries is my talent. And you can't take away talents."

Twilight sighed in defeated, shaking her head. She said something under her breath, then levitated a book or two off the shelve and started going through them. I also asked for a book on species, and she got it without reply. Didn't even turn.
____________________________________________________________________________________

I went through the book, finding little description species after species. I need a general idea, but I plan to read more into them.

'Dragons. Giant fire breathing monsters, known for being terrifying, greedy, and heartless.'

I doubt that's how all dragons are. Just look at Spike.

'Draconequus. A strange creature having the head of a pony, and the body of many other creatures. Though it's thought that they're related to dragons in some way, though it's unknown.'

Sounds dangerous. Though it seems they're rare and mostly extinct. It also mentions that they're almost, and sometimes more, powerful as Alicorns in terms of magic.

'Changelings. Horrifying monsters that have a special kind of magic that can make them take the form of others. It is unknown if they can learn any other magic. It is unknown if they're actually a kind of pony. They feed on love and are extremely dangerous.'

Scary thought if a Changeling could learn magic of unicorns, and be the only ones who can shape shift. Feed on love? That sounds horrible! No wonder they don't get along with anypony else.

'Griffins. Half eagle, half lion. These creatures are known for their temper, and rarely can they coexist with ponies. Not only are griffins mostly predators, they also have been known to want a good fight against anything they deem worthy. Tread carefully with these creatures.'

Well, that description alone could point this Gilda to cause. But I won't point a hoof yet.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Find what you were looking for?" Twilight interrupted. Now right next to me.

I nodded. Yes. Even if it's a dead end, at least I've got a bit more grasp on the world.

"Is the spell ready?" I asked.

"I'll cast it once were near Rainbow's house. We're going to have to use my balloon to get there though. Hope you don't get air sick."

I smiled. "Guess we'll find out. Let's go."

"You sure you want me along?"

"Think of yourself as my Trotson."

Twilight finally smiled, letting out a laugh. "Sure thing Sherlock. And thank you for your help."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

We both stepped off from Twilight's balloon onto Rainbow Dash's cloud. Twilight casted the cloud walk spell, and even explained how I could use it. She said I'd know if it works if I felt super light.

Personally, all I could think was how I didn't feel different and that I really didn't want to plummet to my doom. But I trusted Twilight, and I stepped off anyway. And considering I'm not screaming in terror and hearing the wind rush around me, I think it worked.

We parked the balloon and went to the front door. It was wide open. The house also seemed dark. We went in, lighting the place up in dazzle of purple and light green.

"Stange. I wonder why the attacker would close all the curtains for. It's unlikely somepony would see him. Plus you'd have to consider the fact he left everything as is. So what was the point?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't think it was the attacker. Rainbow has been acting strange the past couple of days. We hardly saw her, and she was always off out of town. Otherwise she was in here, locked away."

"What was she doing? From what I could tell about her, she was quite the active one of the group."

"What do you mean?" Twi looked in my direction with a puzzled look. Catching me inspecting one of Rainbow's feathers. One of many scattered across the place.

"Well, considering she has a job as a weather pony says one. I'll admit, I can imagine slow days. But the fact is, the weather needs changed all the time. Or at least whenever her schedule said it needed change."

I pocketed the feather into one of my inner pockets and went on speaking. Taking a look over at a nearby trophy case

"And considering the amount of trophies she has, she must have quite the thrill of adventure. She's an athlete. Plain and simple."

I looked over at Twilight to find her with a smile. "You may not have the memories, but you were right. Can't change who you are."

I nodded and looked around at all the cyan feathers. They don't seem to have a pattern. Just scattered about. Some area's had a feather or two more than others. But otherwise they were just blindly scattered.

"Do pegasi molt their feathers?" I asked still looking around the floor.

"No. Pegasi's feathers work like the hairs on our mains. They just fall off every once and awhile. Why?"

"Let's just say I have a new theory. Now, I hate to snoop, but we need to look through Miss Dash's things."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Twi asked with a worried glance. She's shaking from hoof to tail. She must really not what to be here. Or maybe she's afraid she'll find something she'll regret finding.

"We need to. Note anything you find. The smallest details can be the most vital."

Twilight sighed then went over to a nightstand and started going through it. I continued to look around. Most of the furniture had been tossed aside or moved. Nothing seemed to be taken though. And I can assume that if anything made of cloud is broken, then nothing would remain.
__________________________________________________________________________________

After awhile, Twilight had begun to search though a dresser while I went over to inspect the kitchen. It seemed little change had happened in here. After some quick searching, I did spot something under the table.

I lifted the entire table with levitation, and just grabbed the bundle of sheets with my hoof. I then sat the table back down, then proceed to sit down in the nearby chair.

It seemed to be a calendar. With every day having a very small description on general weather for the day. If any changes are to happen, along with times and specifics. It also has numbers that have different weather descriptions. Along at the bottom, it says 'see map for local.' That must be if a certain area needs certain weather patterns for that day.

Every day is like this. Up to a month of it. Rainbow's job seems a lot more complicated memorization then I would have thought. If you were just starting the job, everyday you'd have to look at the map, figure out coordinates, and find the right cloud. But Rainbow seemed to have gotten used to it. She even had writing next to certain numbers, saying what area that is, or who's house.

"Rainbow's job is a lot more complicated then you'd think. No wonder she tries to relax a lot, or do sports. It's a lot of work, numbers, memorizing. A bit tedious for my tastes."

Twilight came into the kitchen after my call out, levitating a folder. Then setting it down on the table.

"Really? Rainbow never talks in depth about her job. And I never really read anything mentioning the procedures of a weather pony." She made a run though of the schedule. "Wow. A lot more then you'd think. It's amazing she has any free time or energy."

"It just seems like its boring. Not tiring. Not if you don't have to constantly change the weather. Though some of these notes and marks are weird. Especially the recent ones." I looked over at the folder laying across from me. "I'd put that in your saddle bag. It's getting late, and frankly I'm worried about getting down in the dark. I don't even know how you got us up here smoothly."

Twilight made a small smile, and winked. "Call it a hobby. I love balloon rides. Always have."
____________________________________________________________________________________

We got up to leave when we were stopped dead in our tracks.

Two fairly large armored pegasi were standing in the doorway. One wide eyed and staring at me. The other with a look of both anger and shock.

"Who in the name of Celestia are you two? And who the hay let you two into a crime scene?!"

Uh oh. This might not end well.