• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 825 Views, 0 Comments

Silver Hooves; Life in Ponyville - FlyinKitsky



A new pony arrives in town, how will she fit in?

  • ...
 0
 825

Chapter 10: The Talent Concert

The stage was set. Ponies of every variety were pouring into the makeshift stadium, surrounding the stage. Silver, Cherry, Press and Pinkie all stood at a distance as a massive line spewed from the stadium, each of them with an excited grin on their face. As thanks for the help, both Silver and Press had been given VIP (Very Important Pony) status for themselves and however many ponies they liked, with access to backstage and a private balcony. Silver would be getting the best seat in the house though. She’d volunteered to help some of the acts by providing percussion, much to the others envy.

She’d be working with most of the ponies, from the average Joe’s to Vinyl Scratch. She couldn’t wait.
Of course, they skipped the queues. What kind of VIP waits for entry? As they arrived at the stadium gates, Pinkie and Cherry charged in, looking for their seats eagerly. Press entered shortly after, readying his notepad. This’d be great for the Trotter. Silver was about to enter when she heard a noise that made her stop. Somepony was very upset over something...

“Whaddya MEAN I’m not allowed in!” Roared a rather hot-headed, white pony with a pink and white striped mane. She was yelling at the guard ponies, who for some reason were denying her access. “I bought my ticket! See! It’s right here!” She shoved it into the guard’s face, who gave her a glare.

“I told you, someone’s already claimed that seat! Either you got a dodgy ticket, or you’re trying to forge your way in” the guard replied with an angry tone.

“I don’t CARE! Fix it before I fix YOU!” She looked almost ready to swing for the guard.

“WAIT!” Silv jumped in between them. She turned to the guard “My apologies, sir, she’s with me” She smiled apologetically. He rolled his eyes and let the two in. The mare was speechless.

“Wha... Who... Who are you?! Why did you do that for me?” She asked, rather to the point.

“I’m the mare who just saved your sorry flank. The name’s Silver, and you’re welcome.” She smiled, hoping she’d not take offence. She didn’t.

“The name’s Sugar, Powdered Sugar” She laughed. “Save my flank? That guard wouldn’t have stood a chance”

“Yeah, yeah. Pleasure to meet you. Come on, you can join me and the others on the balcony.” Silver retorted jokingly.

The two of them arrived with the others, and Silver introduced them to Sugar. Press seemed amused by her fiery nature, but Pinkie wasn’t so impressed. Regardless, they all got along well and chatted until the show began. Then Silver took her leave and told the others to simply enjoy themselves, and Cherry to watch Sugar doesn’t try to make any more trouble, much to Sugar’s amusement.

As she arrived backstage, she started to prepare her stuff. In two acts she’d be on with a new DJ, one who was just starting out. She was kind of nervous, but knew it was all in good fun. As she grabbed her drum kit and started to assemble, someone bumped into her and the two fell over in a messy heap.

“Cherry?” Silver giggled, before turning around to see a rather confused looking zebra, who quickly bustled about cleaning up the mess he’d made.

“Cherry? No, I’m not cherry. I’m sorry, this probably put you back quite a bit, not good, not good.” He tutted, seeming a tad relaxed, despite his frantic movements.

“Woah, woah, calm down, it hasn’t. Don’t be so worried” She said, trying to calm him.

“I’m not worried, no no, not worried at all” He smiled calmly. This was the first time she had ever seen a Zebra up close, and frankly, they looked stunning. This one in particular was glowing with confidence and optimism, but seemed to be completely in love with his work. His cutie mark was a grey, upward arrow. “Pleasure to meet you. Even more of one to work with you. The name’s Quagga! I’m sure you’ll do fantastic out there, miss...?”

“Silver, Silver hooves” She shook the hoof of Quagga and the two started to talk. “So, what do you do around here?” She asked.

“Me? I’m a skills pony. I help others with their talents, and identify new ones!” He beamed.

“Sounds like great fun! You’ve already made me feel a lot better about all this...”

“No need to have those cold hooves! You’re gonna be great! The audience will LOVE you!” He grinned, seeming to take great pleasure in helping others.

“Say, Quagga, want to hang about sometime, like, after all this?” Silv asked, hoping for a positive answer.

“Messing round’s bad for work, but after, sure! Nothing I’d love to do more!” He replied, smiling wide and trotting off after the two organised a meet up. Silver was now fully prepared, and they were only an act away. She magicked her set over to the stage side, ready for when it was needed, and went off to find this DJ. Upon asking Quagga, he pointed her in the direction of a white pony assembling a rather complicated tape deck. Seemed she’d found him.

“Hello? I assume you’re Mr. Varia?” Silver asked, as the pony popped his head out and seemed to blush as he looked at her.

“U-um, yeah, that’s me.” He replied, growing redder by the minute. “Please, call me Varia. You’re my helper on stage?” He asked, seeming real friendly.

“Yeah, the name’s Silver.” She smiled, shaking his hoof.

“Wow, that’s a pretty name...” He chuckled, not wanting to take his eyes away from her. She had a feeling he wasn’t just being friendly. His mane was orange and grey striped, and he seemed very confident in his own abilities as he started to test the sound system, still gazing at Silver from time to time. She blushed, taking a liking to him, but wasn’t sure she felt the same way as him yet, not even sure he felt that way about her. Gulping, she watched him work until she shook herself out of it.

“How long have you been DJing?”

“All of my life, I only just started on a larger scale, however” He replied, filled with passion. He certainly loved his music.

Then Quagga called out their names. “You ready there, Silv?” He grinned. Nodding, she followed him out and started to play alongside him. She was totally stunned by his talent, he seemed to love what he did, and she couldn’t help but join in with his fiery passion. After they finished to a roaring applaud and walked offstage, Varia thanked her and promised to meet up with the others on the balcony, before galloping off. Silver smiled and went off to finish work with the others.
The night went by so fast after that, and Silver found herself finished in next to no time. Exhausted, she arrived to see all of her friends there, old and new. Quagga and Press were chatting busily, while Cherry and Sugar were chatting loudly, laughing at one another. Varia came up and greeted Silver, and the seven spent the rest of the night relaxing and enjoying themselves. New friends come when you never expect, Silver mused as they all watched the finale together. What a great night.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment