• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 825 Views, 0 Comments

Silver Hooves; Life in Ponyville - FlyinKitsky



A new pony arrives in town, how will she fit in?

  • ...
 0
 825

Chapter 2: At the store

Rays of light shone through the drapes onto the bed as Silver sat up, rubbing her eyes. Her first full day in Ponyville. Rising and walking to the bathroom, she splashed her face with water and combed her mane. Before long she’d eaten breakfast and was starting to unpack her stuff. So many thoughts came rushing through her mind at once as she did so. Where should I go first? How will I find work? Won’t I get lost? A worried look crossed her face. She needed to meet some ponies. Start getting organised.

“A pony with no friends... Didn’t that pony say something about that yesterday? Pinkie, yes, that was her name... I didn’t even ask how I could find her again. Ugh, I’m such an idiot.” She said to herself, sighing. It didn’t matter now, first she had to walk around and try her best to get used to the new area.

Closing the door and locking it behind her, she looked around. Still busy. Still full of happiness and laughter. Little fillies and foals running around, playing games. Carts full of apples being tugged around by a large, red stallion. Shaking herself to make her focus, she tried to think of a starting point to go. Maybe the local store? She saw the closest one seemed to be a general store, selling groceries and such. That’ll do, Silver thought.

Walking up to it, she noticed to the side of her a pony trip and fall, spilling her shopping bags all over the floor. Silver trotted over and picked some of them up, putting them back into the bags and helping the pony up.

“Heh... thanks...” The pony said, slightly embarrassed. She was hot pink with a deep yellow mane and deep, purple eyes.

“Hey now, its no problem. Just be careful next time”

Smiling, the pony picked up her bags and looked at Silver’s face properly. “I don’t think I recognise you. Are you new around here?”

“Well, actually, I kinda am. I’m looking around Ponyville to try and get better grips on my surroundings. I haven’t been to a town this big before...”

“Ah, now that just won’t do. How would you like me to take you for a tour?” The pony said sincerely, before adding “Consider it my way of saying thanks, and welcome”

“Would you be so kind?” Silver said, her face lighting up.

“Why sure! Call me Cherry Berry!” She said, offering her hoof. Silver took it, smiling “My name’s Silver. Silver Hooves.
Say, won’t you need to drop your bags off first?”

“Ah, yes, is it alright if we just drop by my house to quickly drop them off?” She asked, blushing at her own forgetfulness.

Silver, not wanting to be rude to a new friend, agreed and they both set off, chatting and laughing. They dropped off her bags and then walked around, going to the statue of Celestia, passing Twilight Sparkle’s library (they didn’t drop in, according to a note on the door they were out having a picnic), and even took some time to have lunch at the local café.

“So, do you know many ponies around here?” Silver asked, hoping to meet some more friends.

“A few, but they’re all busy currently. I’m not really known here, although I’ve bumped into most ponies.” Cherry replied, before adding with a chuckle “I’m quite disaster prone, you see. I’ve even been saved by a hero of sorts from a falling balloon!”

Silver laughed along. “Hero, you say?”

“Yes, but it turns out it was just a group of friends doing some good deeds. Not complaining, though!”

“Sounds like this place gets... interesting at times.”

“Well, there’s never a dull day, if you ask me!” Cherry said simply, taking a sip of apple juice before looking at Silver curiously. “So tell me, what do you do?”

“What do I do?”

“Yes! Your job, your talent! You must’ve got that cutie mark somehow!” She chuckled, pointing at Silver’s drum cutie mark.

“Ooooh. Well, I don’t have a job but my talent is... playing percussion. I have a rhythm pulsing through my body, and I can
make anything play it anytime” As she spoke, her horn glowed, picking up various cutlery, making them tap against each other, causing a catchy beat.

“Oh my, that’s fantastic!”

“I know... I just wish I could find work using it.”

Cherry smiled. “Well, I’ll tell you what. Tomorrow I’ll ask around and see if I can find you something”
Silver’s eyes glistened. This pony was offering so much for so little. “How can I ever repay you?”

“Haha, you don’t have to! It’s what friends are for, right?”

They walked round the market together, sharing old stories and watching the time fly by. As Silver arrived home, she waved her new friend farewell and closed the door.