• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 590 Views, 169 Comments

Ask Chatterjoy - Chatterjoy



A collection of short story answers

  • ...
1
 169
 590

What's with the Instruments!?

Morning in Ponyville shimmers, morning in Ponyville shines....

Wordplay trotted down the main street of Ponyville, enjoying the fact that the pegasi had apparently done their jobs that morning. Not a cloud was in the sky. Though typically the purple unicorn did enjoy a good rainy day (especially when there was a good amount of thunder and lightning; It makes for a great atmosphere for writing), but she did have to admit that today was absolutely gorgeous. She was on her way to buy some more quills: she seemed to go through them so quickly. But novel writing takes a lot of resources, and Wordplay knew that at this point in her life she had probably stripped at least two birds of their foliage just to outfit her quill need.

But today was a beautiful day to be outside. The birds were singing, the sun is shining, and there were ponies screaming.

Wait, there were ponies screaming?

Wordplay's ideas for the perfect morning vaporized into thin air as she became aware of the sight of dozens of ponies running for what seemed to be their lives down Ponyville's main street.

"Run!" she heard one scream. "Run! Get out of the way!"

Wordplay looked slightly confused and glanced around. As far as she could tell, she couldn't see anything.

"The way of what?" the purple unicorn asked. But no pony gave her any answer.

Fortunately, she didn't have to wait long.

The sound came first, like a roar of thunder and a strange, hollow bouncing sound. Wordplay watched with wide eyes as a huge, free rolling bass drum bounced and rolled its way down the street. Behind it came two smaller drums and a marimba. Wordplay shuddered at the sight of the musical instruments rolling freely through the street. Her special talent may have been writing, but she'd been a percussionist in an orchestra back when she'd been in school in Canterlot. She knew how much those instruments cost.

A few band ponies ran off down the street after their loose instruments, crying in vain to try and get somepony to stop them before they became even more damaged. No pony could, though, and they rolled on in a unending journey to some unknowable final destination....

That would make for a good line in my novel.... Wordplay thought, momentarily distracted amongst the chaos.

Chaos which ended fairly abruptly. The percussion instruments metaphorical journey was quickly ended with the help from an overturned cart, which, undeniably, tends to be how many events in Ponyville come to their inevitable head. The drums hit the cart (excluding the marimba, which sort of just went "thunk" and stood still) flew into the air, and rained down on Ponyville not unlike blessing falling from the sky. Terrible, heavy, musical blessings.

They landed ungracefully atop the store's roof several hundred feet away, which, like many stores do in Ponyville when threatened with eminent danger, collapsed.

Wordplay winced.

"I hope the Ponyville hospital has plenty of stretchers...." she murmured to herself.

Author's Note:

Guest writer Wordplay here. That's right, that pony that Chatterjoy was talking to in the earlier chapter and also talked about in the author's note. Since I was the one who asked the question about what happened to the stretchers in the last chapter, Chatterjoy thought it would be only fitting for me to write this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. ;)

Chatterjoy is currently pouting next to me.