• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 1,159 Views, 11 Comments

This is who I am (Doctor whooves) - drwhoovescompanion



The doctor has choices of which he can never be happy with.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,159

Acceptance



Same Enemies New Problems Chapter 4: Acceptance

5 weeks after(on the doctors timeline)


I closed my eyes and listened as the hum of the Tardis rang through my ears. It’s song talking of the vast and endless existence of space and time as I swam through it.

Once again, I was alone.

It seemed I was caught in a mind numbing occurrence, one I’ve gone through too many times. I always found someone I liked and they would join me I never forced them, I also always gave them the option to leave anytime they wanted to but somehow, this time seemed different.

Then what did I do? I never gave Ditzy a choice to leave. I decided for her. I told her I would see her later and then just left, without telling her why. That must have broken her heart. If she hates me now there is nothing I can do to correct it, all I can do is pray she lives a happy life. The worst part is, to allow it to happen, I can’t be a part of it. I can only hope I made a good choice.

I would have continued my inner monologue of self pity but I was interrupted by the Tardis shaking in sudden turbulence. I briskly trotted over to the navigational center to see what was happening.

“Hmmm thats not good.”

The Tardis has changed the heading to a seemingly random point in time.

“I swear if this ends up being a trap.” I mumbled to myself as I fumbled with the controls. “ Ok lets see, not really much I can do, so I guess I’ll be making a sudden stop.”

The shaking increased as I was forcibly lead to my destination. I instinctively tried to grab ahold of something to steady myself but of course hooves can only do so much. The measly grip I did find was wrenched from its purchase when the tardis came to a crashing stop, throwing me across the room and into a wall head-first before I slumped to the ground. Any effort I made to stand caused my vision to spin, I felt my consciousness slipping away, pulling me into a dreamless sleep.



_____________________________________________________________________________




I was awoken by a hoof knocking on the door of the Tardis. I eased myself off the floor, trying not to agitate my head anymore than was necessary. When I was certain that my head had no permanent damage, I trotted over to the door. When I opened it a small light purple filly was staring up at me.

“Ummmmm,” I said slowly “can I help you?”

“Mister, I was taking a walk around the outside of town and this… thing-” she said pointing to the Tardis “just appeared out of nowhere. I was wondering, what is a Police Public Call Box?” She said in a blissfully sweet voice.

“Young filly, what this box appears to be isn’t important for it is only for show. This machine is my pride and joy; The Tardis.” I said throwing my hoof in the air for dramatic effect.

“T-a-r-d-i-s” She said slowly sounding out the word “What does it do?”

I stood there for a second thinking about what I should tell her. On one hoof she might and probably won’t believe me, but she could also go and tell everypony and that could cause problems. Though it is probable that other ponies wouldn’t take her seriously since she appears young.

“Well,” I said stepping outside “lets go for a walk and I’ll tell you how it works.”

“Ok.” She said as she turned around and started walking.

Closed the door of the Tardis behind me I looked at where it was I had landed. The Tardis was perched on a small hill outside of ponyville, overlooking the quaint town. It was late afternoon and the surrounding trees suggested it was reaching the end of autumn as each one had hundreds of fiery leaves, barely holding onto the branches.

“Come on mister” the filly said as she tugged at my leg.

I turned to the filly and walked alongside her.

“So what is a Tardis?” She said breaking the silence

“Well it’s the ship I use to travel through time” I said

“But doesn’t that take a lot of magical power, I heard Twilight saying that it was very difficult and could only be done for a short amount of time.”

“The tardis isn’t exactly magic”
“What is it then?” she chirrped

“It is magnificent piece of advanced technology from my home. She is able to move her occupants and herself through time and space.”

“What do you mean by technology?” She said as she looked up at me quizzically.

“Oh right, not much advancement in technology this century.” I mumbled to myself. “Well you know what machines are right?”

“like the ones in the arcades?.”

“That sort of thing yes. Advanced technology is where you take the simple machines you have today and add more complex and intricate designs and functionalities that mean they new machines can have great capabilities and perform amazing feats.”

“What do you use technology for?”

I stopped walking and looked down at her, she looked back at me. Something seemed familiar about her. “That depends on who is using it.”

“What do you mean?” She asked.

I had to stop a moment and think of how to explain this to a filly without making it too complicated. “Well,” I said “if somepony who is really good had technology on his or her side they could do great things that benefit people. On the other hoof if somepony with bad intentions had control of it they would have the power to do mean things to a lot of people.”

“Then,” she said looking at me.”Which are you?”

I looked around at our surroundings. We were substantially closer to the town now. From where we were I could see ponies going about their daily routine, living lives untouched by evil hands. Finally I looked back down to her.

“I’m the pony that tries to stop the bad ponies from harming anyone.”

“Aren’t there others who help you?”

When she said that a pang of regret hit me and I felt tears well up in the corner of my eyes, looking away from her I continued “Sometimes I have others tag along with me.”

“Don’t you have family that could help you too?”


With that last question I closed my eyes and allowed a couple of tears to flow down my face and hit the ground. “I’m afraid that isn’t exactly possible for me.”

“why?”

“Well you see, my young friend, Sometimes the universe manages to create the most beautiful things under the strangest circumstances, those things are called miracles. But sometimes the universe is harsh and doesn’t give us a choice but to do…….certain things.”

“If you have a time machine then why can’t you change what happened?” She asked.

“If only it was that simple, you see sadly there are certain things called fixed points.” I said

“What is a fixed point?”

“Basically it is a point in time that cannot be changed without having dire consequences, no matter what I do, I can’t change the one point that destroyed everything I held dear because it is part of my own timeline.”

I continued letting tears slowly fall down my face and hit the ground. Suddenly I felt a tiny pair of hooves wrap around my neck. Partially glancing down I saw that the filly had started hugging me with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry mister.”

“Please.” I said wrapping my hooves around her. “Just call me The Doctor.”

“I’m dinky.”

“Dinky.” I said noticing the sun was starting to set.

“Yes?”

“You’d better head home, I don’t want your parents to worry.”

“Will you be here when I get back?”

“Yes.”

“Do you promise?” She asked.

“I promise.”

“Ok” She said as she let me go. She started running towards the town making sure to look back at me a few more times.

I turned around and started heading back towards the Tardis. After about 20 minutes I arrived and, spotting a tree I decided to sit down by it. The peacefulness of my surroundings was quite blissful, for the first time in five weeks I felt content. My decision to leave was needed because Ditzy deserved better, I was doing it to protect her, even if she didn’t like or want it. For some strange reason I had a sense of closure.

As nice as it was outside even I needed sleep, so I stood up and made my way back into the tardis, waiting for tomorrow.




_______________________________________________________________



The next day I awoke the same way I had before, to the sound of somepony knocking on the door. Sitting up, I wiped sleep from the corners of my eyes and slowly made my way over. When I opened the door the same filly was there.

“You’re still here!” she happily exclaimed.

“Yes and you’re early.” I groggily replied.

“You never said what time to come.” She huffed

“Alas, you’re correct.” I stated “Oh well.” I said stepping back inside.

She followed me inside the tardis. Although as soon as she was inside I heard her hoofsteps stop. Continuing my walk over to my sonic screwdriver, I grabbed it then turned around.

Now to say that it wasn’t adorable watching her look around the tardis then running outside would be a lie. Without even looking I knew she was doing the same thing everypony else does, looking at the outside.

“One…Two…Three… Annnnd.”

“It’s bigger on the inside!” She exclaimed as she came back inside.

“What!” I said in mock shock. “It is!?”

She rolled her eyes. “Of course you already knew that.”

I smiled, “So whats on the agenda for today?”

“I wanted to show you around ponyville.”

“Lead on then.” I said, ignoring the fact that I’ve already been to ponyville before.

Dinky smiled as she turned around and trotted back outside. I took this chance to rest my sonic screwdriver behind my ear, incase I needed it for any reason. I then made my way outside.

“Ok” I said locking the door to the tardis. “where to?”

“I wanted to take you to sugarcube corner.”

I started to walk making sure she was always in front of me, so it looked like she was leading. The walk to ponyville was generally uneventful and consisted of Dinky losing focus a couple of times and chasing after a random butterfly or other insect. I didn’t really blame her for it, after all she is very young. Once we got into ponyville I looked around the quaint old town.

The town itself barely ever changed, the houses always looked the same except for some slight differences, their designs based off the originals built centuries ago. It was what you would expect from a small town out in the countryside, nice, small and rustic.

Not too long after we made it into town we approached the infamous diabetes inducing shop known as sugarcube corner. As I opened the door to enter I remembered why I never came here before, for a demon resides within.

It’s pink, random and likes to party.

Not five seconds after we entered we were assaulted by the pink menace herself and her fast long winded way of talking. I’ve been told I can act slightly eccentric from time to time and just be plain silly but this is a whole new level. I didn’t really bother to pay attention to what she was saying and decided to just walk over to a booth and wait for dinky. After a couple of minutes she joined me at the booth.

“So.” She said “Are you hungry?”



______________________________________________________________________



“Gosh!” I said as we exited the shop “I didn’t think I could eat that much, let alone be able to keep it down.”

“You’re such a lightweight.” She giggled as we walked deeper into the town. “ We would have left earlier if pinkie hadn’t insisted on making you have a small party. Anyway how long are you going to be here doctor?”

“I’m probably gonna be leaving soon.”

“Where will you go?.” She asked.

“Wherever the Tardis takes me.”

“Ok.” She said dropping her head

“Actually I think I’m going to be heading out now, we spent a good amount of time in there and even with a time traveling ship I still need to keep track of the time.”

“Will I ever see you again?” She asked, a look of hope glistened in her eyes.

“I’m not sure. But if I ever get the chance I will make sure to stop by and visit you.”

“Do you think I could come with you one day?”

“maybe.”

A huge smile broke out across her face and she hugged me tight.

“If you ever do come back look for dinky hooves, I hope I get to see you again. I have to go my mom said I had to get home before night today.” She said as she let go and started walking away.

I stood there in shock for a moment, I knew there was something familiar about her. Her mane, the way she was curious, and her eyes.

She was Ditzy’s daughter!

I sat on the ground casting my gaze down. “The universe works in mysterious ways” I mumbled to myself. Slowly a small smile started to work it’s way onto my muzzle. Ditzy had a foal which means she would be able to move on and maybe even forget about me. Even though I felt sad, I knew it was what she deserved.

I stood up and made my way out of town. The time seemed to pass faster than usual, in what seemed like minutes I was already back at the tardis. I stepped inside and laughed to myself when I remembered how Dinky reacted. Setting my sonic screwdriver down I made my way over to the center and put in coordinates to a random point in time and space and started up the tardis.

“Thank you.” I said to the Tardis as the familiar hum of her engine filled the air.”You always know what’s best for me.”


In all honesty, even though I will lose people. I can’t dwell on the past. I have to cherish the good times and enjoy them. I know I will always care, always be nice, but I can never mistake that for weakness. After all of this time I can’t believe I never came to this conclusion. I have a responsibility. To protect the well being of the others. Sometimes I know it will get hard but I will have to push forward, after all;

this is who I am.

Author's Note:

So there you guys have it the end of this. I want to thank My editors Fluffy shogun and Rhysdmorgan for helping and putting up with my story. Now even though my story is not the best at least Its not as bad as some I have seen before. anyways let me know in the comments who you think I should do next for the This is who I am series.

Comments ( 3 )

D'Awww I absolutely LOVE this story! :pinkiehappy: IT WAS AWESOME!!! Good job! Keep writing! :derpytongue2:

3677783 Thanks :derpyderp2: I am glad you enjoyed it. If you have any suggestions on who I should do next feel free to pm me. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment