• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 13,882 Views, 284 Comments

Time for Spike to be a Kid! - The Soviet Turtle



All his life, Spike has done nothing but work, and has never complained. But he never experienced an actual childhood yet. But that's about to change when the mane six take things a bit to far.

  • ...
34
 284
 13,882

To the Arcade!

Spike woke the next day at around late morning. He was greeted to the smell of pancakes which made him quickly run down to the kitchen to find Lyra place stakes of pancakes on the table where Bonbon was seated at. He rushed towards the remaining chair and looked up at the tall stack.

“Good morning Spike. You seem to be happy.” Bonbon said.

“And hungry to. Dig it Spike.” Lyra said as she took as bite.

Spike devoured the pancakes within minutes, earning him to be sent to the bathroom to clean his face by Bonbon. He knew it was Saturday and began to head for the clubhouse, but not before saying goodbye to Lyra and Bonbon, who were going out to get some early lunch.

As he made it to the clubhouse, he saw Scootaloo’s scooter right outside the door. He knocked on the door, and waited for Scootaloo or some other pony to answer. He didn’t wait long before Scootaloo opened the door.

“Oh hey Spike. Come in.” Spike walked into to see only Rumble in the house.

“I’m guessing that the rest are busy?” Spike said.

“Yeah, and we were still waiting for anypony else to show up. But it looks like it’s just us.” Scootaloo said.

“So what do you guys want to do?” Rumble asked.

“Is there anything to do in town?” Spike also asked.

“I think the arcades open today. It’s on the opposite side of town.” Rumble said.

“I’m down for that.” Scootaloo said.

“Alright, let’s go then.” Spike said.

Scootaloo put her helmet on as Spike and Rumble got into the wagon with their own respected helmets. Scootaloo soon kicked off as the two were dragged along for a ride.

The three rushed through the town, nearly hitting everypony and thing in sight, Spike and Rumble holding on by dear life as Scootaloo kicked off the ground and flapped her wings. They went around the markets, to avoid getting spotted, and tried to speed away when they approached any recognizable buildings like the library or the boutique.

The three soon arrived at a square building with glass windows and a huge sliding glass door. Inside they could see multiple arcade games.

“Come on, let’s go.” Rumble said as he put his helmet in the wagon.

“Hang on, I’ve got to lock my scooter up first.” Scootaloo said.

She pulled the scooter up to the bike lock and pulled out a rope of some sort. She rung the rope around the scooter, the wagon and the metal bar. She tried to tie the knot but it kept on slipping and falling off.

“Here, let me help Scootaloo.” Rumble said as he grabbed the rope and helped Scootaloo tie here scooter up. Rumble pulled tight as the rope held the scooter in place.

“Thanks Rumble.” Scootalo said, a red tint on her cheeks.

“Oh, n-no problem.” Rumble said, he rubbed the back of his head and had a cheeky smile.

Spike just chuckled lightly as he saw the two. Both embarrassed at the situation.

The three walked into the arcade as the sliding door closed behind them. The range of arcade games was large. The boxes with screens seemed to have a large number of games. From fighting to racing to dancing to shooting to the classic claw machines.

“Whoa. I didn’t know there was stuff like this in Ponyville.” Spike said.

“C’mon Spike. I’ll go easy on ya with this game.” Scootaloo said as she led them to a fighting game. Scootaloo put two bits on and the game soon showed a character selection.

“Alright Spike, I’ll let you pick first.” Scootaloo said. Spike grabbed the joystick and began to browse over until he selected a character.
Scootaloo then also picked her character, and the screen showed the stage and the selected characters.

“Alright Spike. Just because your new doesn’t mean I’m goin’ easy on ya.” Scootaloo said with a grin.

“Bring it on.” Spike said as the announcer yelled ‘fight!’

Ten minutes later

“Best three out of five?” Spike asked.

“Nope, I win!” Scootaloo cheered herself on as Spike just rolled his eyes smiling.

“You’ve memorized those moves more than the alphabet, because it looked like you just smashed random buttons.” Spike said.

“At least I knew what I was doing, you were the one to smash the buttons to try and hit me.” Scootaloo came back.

“Ooh! Burn!” Rumble said in an eerie voice.

“Okay, so what game should we play next?” Spike asked.

“Me and Scoots know an old classic game here. We’ll show you.” Rumble said.

Spike was led by the two to another game that was a box like the fighting game but thinner and taller, with only one set of buttons and no joy stick.

“Here it is.” Scootaloo said.

“What is it?” Spike asked.

“I think it’s the first of the Manio games.” Rumble asked.

“Who?” Spike asked.

“Just play it and you’ll see.” Scootaloo said getting a bit impatient.

Spike grabbed two bits and inserted them into the slot. Immediately the screen came to life. He saw what looked like a giant Ape on top of levels of red metal bars, and a pony in a pink dress next to him on a higher platform made out of red metal bars, some barrels behind the ape and on the bottom level another pony wearing blue and a red hat. There were also ladders, some broken others not, connecting the levels of bars, forming a way to the top and a huge ladder in between the ape and pony in a dress. On the very top of the screen there was three names, score, high score and time.

He game began to start as the ape began to through the barrels down the levels, they slowly rolled down the levels. Spike soon pressed the button on the right and the pony at the bottom began to run. Spike began to get lost in the game as he jumped over the barrels and made his way to the top and through the levels, saving the pony in the dress before he finally got hit by one barrel. Spike was sad the game was over, but he still enjoyed it. He noticed that Rumble and Scootaloo had gone.

He looked around before he saw Rumble giving Scootaloo five bits in front of one the racing games.

“I’m guessing Rumble lost?” Spike asked.

“Yep. Just lost.” Scootaloo said.

“That blue shell Scoots. If that didn’t happen, I would have won and you know it.” Rumbled defended himself.

“Any other games I should take interest it?” Spike said.

“What’s up losers!” a voice yelled.

Spike looked over to a see a full grown stallion enter the building. He was a brown Pegasus with a lightly tan coloured mane and tail. He had a dumbbell on his flank for his cutie mark and had the wings of a Pegasus.

“Oh Celestia.” Scootaloo said shaking her head.

“Not him again.” Rumble said face hoofing.

“Who?” Spike asked.

“Dumbell.” Rumble said.

“He keeps on coming here, beating everypony at the games and bragging about it.” Scootaloo explained.

“He kinda sounds like somepony who still lives in there parents basement.” Spike jokingly said, the two ponies chuckling silently at the joke.

“Oh, we have some joker around here?” Spike looked back to see dumbbell looking down on him.

“You better say sorry unless you want a humiliation.” Dumbbell warned Spike. A few of the ponies in the arcade began to notice Dumbbell but Spike just looked up with determination.

“Why? It’s the truth.” Spike said. The ponies noticing ether stiffing laughs or worried looks about what’s going to happen.

“You just made a big mistake dragon.” Dumbbell said.

“What are you going to do?” Spike asked.

“I challenge you to that dancing game over there. Loser forks over twenty bits. And losses their pride.” Dumbbell said. He then leaned down right in front of Spike.

“Unless you’re a wimp.”

Spike looked up at Dumbbell with a determined look.

“Bring it.”

Dumbbell smiled confidently as he raised his head.

“Easiest money I’ll ever get. Like taking candy from a baby.” He said before making his way over to the game. Spike just growled as Scootaloo and Rumble approached him.

“You alright? Just take a breather.” Rumble said. Spike did such and let out a gasp of air, calming himself down.

“Thanks, yeah I’m good.”

“Are you going to do it Spike?” Scootaloo asked. Spike looked at the game with a smile on his face.

“Yeah. Time to get this guy’s monthly allowance.”

Spike, Rumble and Scootaloo walked over to where Dumbbell was waiting. There they saw two huge screens and two platforms with arrows on them.

“Ready to lose dragon?” Dumbbell said.

“I’m ready to win.” Spike said.

The two competitors stepped up to the platforms as the game began. It started off with simple steps. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right. But it seemed to get more complicated as time went on.

“Giving up yet dragon?” Dumbbell asked.

“Nope.” Spike said.

As time went on, the movements got more rapid and complex. Spike was starting to worry he would lose, he had a few near misses and he didn’t know how long he could go on for. But he wasn’t going to let this guy win.

I can do this. I can do this. I WILL do this.

Spike soon began to perfectly form in sync with the instructions on the screen. Every step, every beat he began to perform perfectly. Dumbbell saw this and dropped his jaw at the site, costing him some combo points. He quickly realised his mistake and tried to get back on track but every time he tried it ended up with him seeing how well Spike was doing.

The final moves where approaching, Dumbbell sweating like no tomorrow and Spike was moving like it was nothing. The ponies in the arcade had gathered around for this dance battle, some even placing bets on who would win.

As Spike stepped on the last tile, Dumbell tried to finish the moves but he moved so fast that he tripped himself up and landed face first onto the platform. The word ‘Ooo’ was said by numerous ponies alike. In the end, Spike won with a distinctive advantage over Dumbbell. The ponies cheered and cried ‘Spike!’ for his victory over the stallioncolt bully Dumbbell.

Dumbbell picked himself up and looked in disbelief as he saw he had lost. He groaned and reluctantly pulled out his bits and patted Spike on the back. Spike turned around and accepted the pile of bits. Dumbbell left with no pride, a bloody nose and a black eye from the fall.

Spike later joined Rumble and Scootaloo as the crowd dispersed.

“Way to go Spike, knew you would win.” Rumble said.

“Yeah, you were pretty good, I guess.” Scootaloo said, not letting her pride down.

“Thanks guys. Now since I got some extra bits, let go and get some tickets.” Spike said.

For the rest of the day, Spike, Rumble and Scootaloo played ticket games until they had enough for three prizes in the small to medium range.

“I bet most of those large prizes where only worth 15 bits.” Scootaloo said.

“Yeah, but to be fair, Rumble did us 5 bits to get us that candy from that weird machine.” Spike said.

“I still say it was worth it.” Rumble said.

They each got a sticky elastic hoof from the prize counter before they saw the sun going down and there were less ponies then before.

Spike said goodbye to Rumble and Scootaloo as he made his way back to Lyra and Bonbon’s. But along the way he came across a little duck which bumped into his leg. Spike crouched down to get a closer look at the duck.

“Hey there little guy. Where are you going to?”

“Bobby! Bobby!”

Spike heard the cries from over the hill, and he instantly knew whose it was.

“Fluttershy!”

He looked around before he jumped into a nearby bush, hoping to blend in.

Meanwhile Fluttershy came over to find the little ducklings looking into a bush.

“Oh there you are! You gave me and your mother a scare.” Fluttershy said using her hoof to try and direct the duckling home. But to her surprise the duckling ran back to the bush. She again walked over to the little duck.

“What is it Bobby?” Fluttershy asked.

She looked into the bush and began to reach in with her hoof, she thought she saw-

A sudden quacking alerted her attention as the mother duck stood on the hill, calling her young over. The little duckling quickly ran over to the duck as the two hugged. Fluttershy smiled as she began to walk over but she looked back once more. What was that in the bush? But she saw the duck and her duckling head home.

‘Oh, w-wait up! I-if y-you want t-to.”

Spike’s head popped up as soon as Fluttershy left.

“That was way to close… I gotta head home.”

Spike was able to make it home without running into anyone again. He got home in time for dinner with Lyra and Bonbon. And then got into bed to rest, his wrists where in pain from all the button mashing.

Author's Note:

And Dumbbell was grounded for a month once the foals at the arcade told his mum.

Keeo calm and tomahawk on.