• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 13,809 Views, 284 Comments

Time for Spike to be a Kid! - The Soviet Turtle



All his life, Spike has done nothing but work, and has never complained. But he never experienced an actual childhood yet. But that's about to change when the mane six take things a bit to far.

  • ...
34
 284
 13,809

Excuse Me!?

Well…This is awkward.

Spike was currently in a huge amount of fear as Twilight Sparkle stood in front of him, glaring down with her friends behind her. Spike’s friends also braced for the lecture they would receive. Currently, only a few ponies in town had noticed, but others continued with their day.

Anyway, back to the situation of awkwardness.

“Care to explain yourself, mister!?” Twilight asked, her eyes coming close to flickering with flames.

“Um…” Was Spike’s response.

“Do you have any idea what I’ve gone through to find you!? I’ve looked all over town and here I finally find you in the middle of it goofing off!” She screamed.

“H-How long have you been looking for me?” Spike asked, scared out of his mind.

“Well, we started a week after you supposedly left for royal business. Then I began to suspect something was wrong. I got the girls together and we started to search for you since. But don’t change the subject!” Twilight struck.

“The hay where ya thinkin’?” Applejack questioned.

“You know how much of my flying practice I’ve given to try and find your scaly hind!?” Rainbow complained.

“How many appointments and contracts I missed or delayed?” Rarity followed.

“…I-I didn’t mind but you shouldn’t have done it, Spike,” Fluttershy commented in the back.

“I had fun,” Pinkie said smiling, but turning on her serious face once again.

“B-but-“ Applebloom started.

“And don’t you start! Ya knew the entire time and ya didn’t tell us?” Applejack quickly shut Applebloom’s argument down.

“My word Sweetie. I never suspected you of doing such a thing! Lying to your sister!” Rarity stated.

“Spike. You and your friends have caused so much confusion and delay for all of us just so you can goof off and not do your chores! How could you be so childish and selfish!?”

The entire Town seemed to become silence. Even the crickets and the tumbleweeds stopped as the attention was drawn to the centre of town. Nearly everypony stopped what they were doing to raise their eyebrows and look at the six ponies. Their judgemental eyes looking down on them. The mane six noticed and looked around town to see the looks they were getting. They all looked confused as to why they would receive such looks. But they were yet to see the scariest glare.

The six looked back at Spike to see the dragon with the most enraged face on him, his friends joining him or looking worried at Spike for his safety.

“EXCUSE ME!!!??” Spike roared, his voice filled with the rage equivalent to making a hundred foot dragon jump.

“Did you really just say that!?” The six ponies were now starting to regret getting out of their beds this morning.

“Do you even know what I have done for you!? Do you have any idea!?” Spike said with a face that expresses disbelief in the six ponies before him.

“I have done everything for you! I stayed back when you went on adventures, either looking after books or pets while you did amazing things!” He said, Fluttershy taking most of this hurt.

“I have been pushed aside when all I wanted to do was help!” Spike continued. Applejack looked down at the ground due to this.

“I have had to take on so many pranks, most of which could have had me in the hospital! I nearly drowned in a lake during the Winter Wrap Up for Celestia’s sake!”

“I’ve had to miss out on so much. Cloudsdale, Pinkie’s parties, picnics. Heck, I even missed out on Twilights birthday because you moved it to Canterlot and didn’t invite me. Where’s the excuse for that!?” Spike asked. The six could give no answer.

“And most of all, for I cannot stress this enough as it is! I have done nothing but serve you guys for the last few years of my life!” Spike pointed out.

“I have been a pincushion for dress making so many times I have no idea if my scales can grow back normally! Or if they're damaged to a point they cannot fix themselves!” Rarity knew this was directed mainly at her, for she began to water at the eyes for losing count of the times Spike has helped her with her dresses.

Spike then looked directly into Twilights eyes, which made her wish Nightmare Moon was standing there instead.

“And Twilight! In the home, we supposedly share because you make me sleep in a basket! Who does the mopping? The dusting? The shelving? The cooking? The washing? The Shopping for food and furniture? ME! It’s always me! I always do it! And do you care!? DO YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT I DO FOR YOU GUYS!?” Spike was getting to the point of no return, but Twilight tried to stop it.

“O-of course we do Spike! We always appreciate what you do.” She tried to calm Spike down. The five behind her nodding in agreement.

“Then why do I never hear a thank you from ANY OF YOU!?” Spike exploded.

“Every little thing I do. Every act of kindness from you guys. I could take it all for nothing if I at least got recognized for what I did! That’s it!” He said.

The six ponies began to gasp as Spike started to tear up. His face of anger slowly turned into one of sadness as he began to cry. He dropped to his knees and sobbed as Applebloom quickly hugged him from behind. Twilight was breaking inside from the sight.

“I-I do so m-much for you…b-but I never get thanks o-or go do fun stuff with you…” Spike said between sobs before he suddenly leaned back and screamed into the sky.

“AND I’M ONLY A KID!!!”

Spike’s cries and weeps increased as he slumped back down. Applebloom and his other friends immediately came to his aid.

The six ponies hearts broke as they saw the dragon that they now realised had done so much was falling apart after all the work they’ve forced. The ponies dare not move from their spots, all they could do was were looks of shame or horror. The guilt that was brought on by them discovering the many things they had done to Spike, who they had just learned was a child. The guilt helped with the shame, oh but that’s not all!

The mane six looked up to see they had no friends in this fight. It seemed the entire town was looking with hatred towards the six, whatever they were doing previously seemed to not matter anymore.

Twilight was the first to try and step forward. She felt like she needed to be the first. She was Spike’s first friend after all, and as of now, she had the most guilt.

“Spike, I-“

She had no time to finish as a beam of blue light flew past her. It burned the ground and caused Twilight to jump back in fright. Once the beam died down, Twilight and nearly every other pony looked towards Vinyl Scratch on what looked like a Speaker.

“Misfire! Sorry!” She said.

Twilight took deep breaths, trying to get her mind running straight after nearly getting hurt. But she saw Bonbon and Lyra soon exit from the crowd and walk towards Spike. Their worried expressions were the sign that made Spike’s friends back away. Lyra grabbed the exhausted Spike and placed him on Bonbon’s back.

Twilight began to walk again but she was soon stopped by a red hoof. She looked to see the towering Big Mac looking down on her.

“A think ya've done enough.” He said in his usual tone, but Twilight could hear a small hint of anger.

Big Mac looked at the other five who were standing back.

“Big Mac?” Applejack asked.

“Y’all should head back home…Ah, think enough’s been done to the poor fellow. ‘Specially ‘fore the show tonight.” Big Mac said. He looked towards Bonbon and Lyra who the crowd had made a gap for walked away with Spike’s friends in tow.

Twilight and her friends watched in sadness. As Spike seemed to disappear and the crowd dispersed back to their normal activities. The mane six slowly but surely left each other and the town centre to head back to their homes.

Bonbon and Lyra entered their home with Spike’s friends following. They headed for Spike’s temporary room. Lyra used her magic to take Spike and place him on the bed.

“Are you alright Spike?” Bonbon asked.

“Y-yeah,” Spike said.

“Are you sure you can still go to the show tonight?” Lyra asked.

“Yep, I’ll be alright. Thanks, guys.” Spike said to them all. His friends and caretakers all smiled as Spike smiled back.

“I think we should leave Spike alone for now guys. Come on, we’ll get you guys something to eat.” Bonbon said. Spike was left alone to rest as his friends, Bonbon and Lyra left him alone. But before he could close his eyes for a small nap, he had one sadder thought on his mind.

Why Twilight?

Twilight’s door creaked open as she opened the door to the Golden Oaks Library. She looked around to look at her home. Spotless as ever, without a speck of dust. She continued her guilt walk up the stairs and to her bed.

Her eyes were covered in water as she fell onto her bed. She grabbed her pillow and squeezed the daylights out of it. She wept and wept much like Spike did earlier, but she was weeping for all she had done. She looked back and saw what Spike had said was right. He was left behind. He was used. He did do so much. He never did get thanks. He did it all, and what did she give? A reminder now and then about how she acknowledged his existence? That was nowhere near enough.

She also slapped herself mentally for not realising or remembering the fact Spike was still a child. She had done many amazing tests and studied to her full capacity which usually caused her to fall asleep in study sessions, but she couldn’t remember Spike’s age.

What was I doing? I’m such an idiot. Spike…

She looked at the sun that began to set in the sun. She was reminded of something that happened years, back in Canterlot. When Spike was a couple of years old.

…I’m sorry.

Author's Note:

Well...that could have gone better.

But what happened back in Canterlot? and what will be greeting the others at home?

Probably not a cookie.

Keep calm and Tomahawk on.