• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 13,814 Views, 284 Comments

Time for Spike to be a Kid! - The Soviet Turtle



All his life, Spike has done nothing but work, and has never complained. But he never experienced an actual childhood yet. But that's about to change when the mane six take things a bit to far.

  • ...
34
 284
 13,814

Aftermath

After the whole outburst with Spike, each of the mane six headed home for the afternoon. All of them going over exactly what Spike had said.

Carousel Boutique

Rarity entered her home/workplace, aiming to get herself some tea to help her mind that was focused on Spike. She looked around her pieces of work, re-imagining the countless times Spike had helped her with her work for nothing. She shook her head and continued to the kitchen.

As she began to make the tea and let the kettle boil, she reached for a tea bag and pulled out a peppermint bag with her magic, her favourite flavour. She remembered seeing Spike always reach for the peppermint tea without even having to look for it when he offered to make it while she worked. She snapped out as the kettle whistled.

Rarity sipped her tea as she sat at a table. She waited for Sweetie Belle to return back home before the talent show. When Sweetie Belle told her she was in the show, she was so proud of her little sis. But the same couldn’t be said vice versa for what Rarity had done to Spike. No matter how much she changed the subject, Spike would always pop back into her mind. She thought about her business, then Spike appeared again; she thought about her gems, Spike appeared once more. Spike, Spike, Spike, Spike, Spike and Spike.

Rarity couldn’t pretend to not acknowledge about the impact Spike had on her life. Spike was always there to help her, spending a lot of his free time to help her. He had done some many favours for Rarity but what did she give him in return? A peck on the cheek and gems every so often? She knew now that it’s not enough for what he does.

Rarity took a sip of her tea, and the impact was more clearer as the tea didn’t taste as good as it usually did. Spike was even there for the little things, and he was good at it.

Rarity’s attention was soon drawn to the ring of the doorbell, meaning someone had just walked into the boutique. She saw Sweetie Belle, and could just tell from her face how upset her little sister was with her. Nether the less, she attempted to make conversation.

“Hey Sweetie Belle, getting ready for the talent show?” she asked, placing a big grin on her face. Sweetie Belle just glanced at Rarity with a look that could kill before walking on.

“You know it’s rude to ignore you Sister Sweetie Belle.” Rarity said, not giving up on the conversation.

“Do you know it’s rude to be selfish?” Sweetie Belle spoke back.

“Sweetie Belle, you don’t understand.-“

“No Rarity, you don’t understand.” Sweetie Belle said as she stopped walking up the stairs and turned to Rarity.

“You don’t understand how much you’ve hurt Spike.” She said.

“Sweetie Belle, how dare you say that!”

“’I dare say that?’ How dare you use Spike like a tool without a thought about him and his feelings! You didn’t even care when he had that crush on you!” Sweetie Belle stated. Rarity just sighed and took a sip of her tea.

“Sweetie Belle, can you please get ready for the talent show. I’ve got a lot on my mind right now.” Rarity asked. Sweetie Belle started walking back up the stairs as she mumbled so Rarity could hear.

“You’re doing this because you know I’m right.”

Rarity did know Sweetie Belle was right, she couldn’t begin to discover how much she must have hurt Spike. The fact she ignored his feelings was even worse, thinking it was a simple childish crush.

“I am no lady. No, scratch that, I’m not the element of generosity. I am no better than…Blueblood.”

Rarity physically cringed at the thought of the prince, and she felt cold and disgusted as she had just compared herself to such a creature. She sighed as she finished her tea.

“My Spikey Wikey.”

Fluttershy’s cottage

Fluttershy walked into her cottage, and walked into to see a creature that could only be described as the result shoving every creature on the planet into a blender to mesh them together. Various different animal body parts accompanied the flying serpent with his goat head and yellow eyes. It was currently dusting the place when he noticed the yellow pony.

“Well afternoon Fluttershy!” the creature said in a cheerful tone.

“Hello Discord.” Fluttershy responded as she walked in.

“So Spike seems to be upset with you.” Discord said casually, which Fluttershy took shocked.

“How did you know that Discord?”

“I’m the spirit of chaos my dear, I’ve known from the start of this little thing what Spike was doing.” Discord admitted.

“You did?” Fluttershy asked, flying up to Discords face.

‘”Indeed; in fact you almost found him once.” He told her.

“Then why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well I have to admit, at first I was interested to see how long it would run. But after sometime and a little bit of my own research, and I’m behind the little guy now.” Discord explained.

Fluttershy was about to rebuttal but Discord turned himself into four discords wearing cheerleader outfits and holding pom-poms.

“Spike, Spike, he’s our man! If he can’t do it, no one can!”

Fluttershy had lived with Discord long enough to know not to question the spirit. Discord then turned back into his regular form.

“And what exactly gives you the right to question me Fluttershy? I thought you were the element of Kindness but it appears you’ve been ignoring Spike like the rest. Granted you’ve probably done the least to him but still, you’ve hurt the little dragon.” Discord said.

Fluttershy took in what Discord had said. She did remember the first day he was here she was fascinated by him, being a baby dragon and all, but she soon began to ignore him as well. She was supposed to be the element of Kindness but she had ignored him, doing the exact opposite of kindness.

“Oh dear…I hope Spike can forgive us.”

In the skies of Ponyville

Rainbow Dash was flying fast as she usually did, practising her flying and moves. She would always do this in her free time, feeling the wind blow along her fur and wings, the freedom of the skies. She took a break and hovered above a field for a while.

“Whoa, nearly beat my record on the triple Rainbow Twirl. One more try before I head back home.” She said to herself.

Rainbow then spotted Scootaloo on her scooter below her, which made Rainbow wonder how mad Scootaloo is with her. She flew down and stared following behind Scootaloo from above.

“Hey squirt.” She said, Scootaloo not answering her and trying to speed up.

“How’re your wings coming along?”

Scootaloo just kept going faster, trying to leave Rainbow behind. Rainbow sighed, knowing Scootaloo was still mad at her.

“Come on squirt. Can you stop ignoring me so we can just talk?”

“Why? You did it to Spike, why can’t I do this to you?” Scootaloo said back.

“Don’t do this to me Scoot.” Rainbow said.

“Then why did you do it to Spike?” Scootaloo said.

“Squirt listen for a sec-“

“No, how about you Dash.”

Scootaloo skidded to a halt and looked up at Rainbow.

“You’re supposed to be Awesome! The Amazing Awesome Rainbow Dash! Element of Loyalty! Future Wonderbolt captain!” Scootaloo proclaimed.

“But you’ve hurt Spike, and that’s not cool. And it defiantly isn’t awesome…see you at the talent show tonight.”

Scootaloo started pushing against the ground and turned back towards Ponyville. She left Rainbow Dash to think over what she said.
Rainbow looked back on her relationship with Spike since he arrived in Ponyville. He seemed cool, being the only real guy out of the new group of friends, and he was a dragon so that was an added bonus. But she also thought of how she treated the little guy, making jokes about him and pulling pranks. She thought they were funny but now she began to think she went too far with some of the jokes.

Throughout all the fun and laughs she had, Spike wasn’t laughing; or if he was it was usually forced. She would always laugh at Spike’s expense, and treat him with little to no respect.

She remembered all the jokes she told Spike, and none could hit her harder than when she joked about Spike not flying. To her, flying was her life, she couldn’t imagine herself without her wings. The feeling she got when she flew, something Spike hadn’t experienced, and she made of him for it.

She then realised Spike really hadn’t seen her do the sonic rainboom, or been to Cloudsdale. He was left behind, left to clean, grounded. She just stayed there, mentally smacking herself for what she did.

Sugarcube Corner

Pinkie Pie walked into the bakery at a slow pace, totally unlike her usual way of movement which was to bounce up and down. Her mane was also different, the poofy mane now straight.

She walked past the counter and up the stairs to her room, where she closed the door to not be interrupted.

Pinkie Pie was not happy, which meant something big had happened to her because of her usual constant happy nature. She was sad, not only with what happened in town but what she had also done to Spike.

She remembered how thay partied greatly together at Twilight’s welcoming party, and how she always thought him to be a scaly teddy bear. But she started to remember her parties, and how many times Spike was actually there. She felt worse because the number was so small.

How many times did she forget him? How many times did she pull pranks on him? She didn’t know and that disappointed her.

She began to tear up, and began to fully cry, think how she hurt Spike. She rolled on the floor, crying and wailing, until-

“Wait! I got it!”

-or you could just cut me off from my sentence.

“Quite narrator!”

I have a name you know.

“That’s not important right now!” Pinkie said as her mane and tail became poofy once more.

“I’ll throw a big party for Spike! It’ll be great! They’ll be streamers and balloons and presents- And CAKE!” Pinkie said to herself, making a mental check list. She immediately zoomed out of the room, determined to make the best party ever for Spike.

Sweet Apple Acres

Applejack walked through the apple orchards, her home in the distance. She watched as the apples swung in the cold breeze that was blowing in, making her move faster to get home.

She arrived home to see Granny Smith in her rocking chair.

“Howdy Granny Smith.”

“Well hello there Applejack.” Granny Smith replied.

Applejack left the old pony and walked into the kitchen, going to the fridge and making herself a glass of apple juice. She sat down at the table, her drink in hoof as she looked back on Spike and what he’s done for her, heck what he’s done for the farm.

She remembers a particular incident, one involving a dragon code and Timberwolves. She treated him so weird even though he tried so hard to make her happy, he was just trying to help her out.

If there one thing other than honesty Applejack respects in a person is effort, and Spike was nothing short of effort. He always put his best in, always tried to help, and she and the others used that to their advantage.

She finished her apple juice when she heard the door open, and then hoof steps stomping up the stairs. She didn’t need to look to know who was back.

She put the glass in the sink and walked up the stairs to see Applebloom about to walk into her room.

“Hey Applebloom.” Applejack said awkwardly.

Applebloom just glared at her sister before mumbling.

“Howdy Applejack.” Applebloom said with her voice filled with venom.

“Say what? Can ya speak up?”

“I said Howdy Applejack.” Applebloom said more forced now. Applejack just sighed and followed Applebloom into her room.

“Look, ah know ya upset ‘bout what happened in town. But ah was just-“

“Oh ah’m more than upset Applejack. Ah’m disappointed and frustrated with ya. How could ya call Spike selfish? After all he’s done for us? He’s Sweet, caring, friendly…and ya just spat in his face!” Applebloom said.

“Ah did no such thing!”

“Really? What about tha Iron hoof Competition? What about tha Timberwolves? What about all tha work ya asked Spike ta do for free!?” Applebloom said.

Applejack was about to respond but Applebloom cut her off.

“Ya know what, forget it. Ah gotta get ready for tha show tonight.” She said.

“But ya didn’t enter the show, why ya goin’?”

“To see Spike and support him! Ya really have no idea da ya!?” Applebloom said before slamming the door in Applejack’s face.

“Applebloom! Applebloom! Open up right now!” Applejack said banging on the door.

“La la la la! Can’t hear ya!”

“Applebloom!”

Applejack continued to knock but she got no answer. She eventually gave up and saw Big Mac in the hallway.

“Big Mac, help me with Applebloom, She’s being stubborn again.”

“Nope.”

Applejack looked at Big Mac with wide eyes like he was kidnapped and replaced with an imposter.

“Why not?”

“Ah think it’s pretty obvious she doesn’t wanna talk to ya yet. It’ll take some time for her ta forgive ya, although she’s probably not tha one you should apoligise to first.” Big Mac explained as he walked into his room. Applejack was about to follow him but she realised who exactly he was talking about, and just walked back into her room. She walked to her mirror and looked herself In the mirror.

“And you call yourself an Apple…”
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Several years ago.

In Canterlot Castle, a younger Twilight Sparkle and Spike were currently talking in Twilight’s bedroom. Twilight was much shorter and Spike’s spines were beginning to grow and his baby fat was slowly coming off.

“Okay Spike, you sure you’re going to be okay?”

“I’m sure.” The baby dragon said, holding a bag of bits.

“Alright, but you know I care about you right? You don’t have to go alone, I could come with you.”

“Twilight. I want to do this. I want to help you. Please let me do it.” Spike said. Twilight sighed before smiling.

“Okay Spike, just get back before dark.” She said, he nodded and walked off to the markets.

Spike walked the streets of wealthy streets of Canterlot, a smile on his face as he felt good today. Nothing could ruin his day, nothing.

“Hey lizard.”

Except for this.

Spike looked to see a stallion dressed in fine clothes and a mare in an expensive dress.

“Yes sir?”

“You’re standing in my way.” The stallion said, Spike stepped aside.

“Oh, sorry.”

“Look at that dear, it knows its superiors.” The mare said as they passed Spike.

“Quite right.” The stallion said.

Spike looked at the two ponies weird, at his young age he didn’t know why somepony would classify themselves as superior, and he hadn’t even heard that word before.

“Well that was weird.” He said as he carried on.

He collected the apples from the market, albeit some strange looks he didn’t notice, and began to head back. What he didn’t notice walking back was a white unicorn colt with a yellow mane and his friends creeping up on the dragon.

“Look at this gentlemen, some vermin got into the city. As Prince of Equestria and as loyal citizens, we must teach it a lesson that only the best unicorns should be allowed here.” The colt said.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Twilight was sitting patiently at the door, waiting for Spike to return. It was almost time for the moon to come up so she was getting worried. She soon heard a knock on the door and instantly opened it.

She gasped at the sight she saw, Spike had come back with no food or bits, was covered in dirt and mud, had several bruises on his body, was holding his left arm, and was crying furiously.

“Spike!? What happened!?” Twilight asked as she rushed over to the dragon.

“Well…” Spike said through his sniffles. “I was w-walking ba-ack, when these c-colts came from beh-hind me. T-They pushed me, punched me, called me names and…and…” Spike jumped at Twilight and gripped onto her body, crying into her fur.

Twilight looked at Spike sadly and began to hold him, closing the door with her magic.

“There there, it’s okay, it’s okay. I’m here, I’m here.” She told him.

They stayed like this for a while, until Spike started stopping to cry.

“You okay?” Twilight asked.

“No…No not really.” Spike said whipping his eyes of tears.

“Come on, I’ll give you a bath.” She said as she carried the dragon to the bathroom.

Twilight gave the drake a good bath, with bubbles. Spike found some enjoyment with the foam as Twilight scrubbed the Drake of the mud and dirt, cleaning the dragon, and giggling when he made himself a bubble beard.

Twilight then dried Spike off and began to wrap his wounds in bandages before she carried Spike to her bed and climbed in. She used her magic to put the candles out and tucked both her and Spike into bed.

“Try to get some sleep Spike, you need some rest.” She said.

“T-Twilight?”

“Yeah Spike?” Twilight looked down to see the dragon look up to her.

“A-am I u-useless?” He asked.

“No Spike. You’re anything but useless.”

“Okay…Twilight?”

“Yes Spike?”

“W-will you always be there for me?” Spike asked.

“Of course Spike. No matter what, I’ll always be there for you, I promise.” Twilight told him.

“Promise?”

“Promise.”
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Twilight had completely soaked her pillow with her tears as she pulled her head up.

“But I never was there.”

She continued to cried, for hour and hours, until it was only minutes away from the talent shows beginning.

Author's Note:

Oh, we're getting closer to the show, and then the ending, can you feel it?

Can you FEEL it?

Hope you enjoyed the trailer.