• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 742 Views, 7 Comments

Chain Reaction - Silent Running



Michael Spechart, and his adopted pony daughter, Amber Sage, live on the outskirts Detroit in 2039, in a very different future. One where every little change, could cause a chain reaction.

  • ...
2
 7
 742

In the City’s Embrace, Part Two

Chain REACTion Chapter Four: In the City’s Embrace, Part Two

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You know what I always told your father growing up right?” John called to Amber, who was trotting down the stairs right in front of him. She rolled her eyes at what he was about to say.

“Yes Grandpa…” she groaned, shaking her head. Quickly switching gears, she responded in kind with a mocking tone, “Discipline is the bridge between dreams and success. Blah, blah, blah.” she giggled as she finished reciting the infamous phrase. John grunted his disapproval at the way she responded.

The conversation raged on behind Michael as he shook his head, knowing his dad’s ‘famous’ phrase all too well. He had it drilled into him religiously from a young age. He swore if it wasn’t on his dad’s grave, it would be ingrained in his head at the very least.

“Don’t you forget that Amber! You may think it’s a joke now, but it means everything to the Spechart clan. Isn’t that right, Mike?” John shouted to Michael, who pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Of course, Dad...” Michael decided against unloading his real thoughts on the overused and tired phrase, leaving it for another day.

The late morning sun illuminated the dust particles floating gracefully amongst the hallways, undisturbed in the moment. The solemn watch of the sun was interrupted as three figures quickly departed the home. Michael turned only to secure the reinforced front door. Thankfully, it was still intact in spite of everything.

The air outside was crisp and refreshing on this spring day. He subconsciously took in the now silenced street that surrounded them. What always unsettled him was the incredible stillness of the place they lived. Save for the ever present sounds of nature, there was a distinct lack of anything else a neighborhood should have.

The lots across the street had been mostly reclaimed by nature, as brush and vegetation had long since become the sole occupants of the decrepit homes. It would be quite a lovely neighborhood if not for these relics of days long past. Michael and Amber had to travel a ways to get anywhere, to see anyone special, to do anything remarkable. He had asked her several times if she wanted to go live in the Inner Sanctum as well, but she had stalwartly refused each time. There were points where even he was at the end of his rope, unwilling to carry on in the home that was crumbling away. Yet she always put a hoof on his shoulder and gently remind him of everything this place represents. She had next to nothing here as well, having to travel any number of distances to get to school or gymnastics. It seemed to not matter to her at all. She felt a passion for this home still. It remained a mystery as to why exactly she still felt so strongly about life in the outskirts. His resolution was only lifted during these times of doubt, if she could find the strength to continue on, so could he.

The garage door slowly opened with an unceremonious groan as the ancient motor whirred to life. The garage remained another safe haven in the home, with no windows, it was relatively difficult to assail from the outside. The equally antiquated incandescent bulbs, long since regulated into oblivion, snapped to life, still as brilliant as the day they were purchased. Their dull yellow hue mixed with the first rays of sun to grace the space inside. The sunlight gradually crept along the floor, finally touching the distinct shapes of vehicles. A brilliant blue, world rally blue to be exact, met the welcoming sun, and warmly returned its embrace. The shape continued to gain cohesion as the door opened further, revealing a sleek set of blackened headlights, and a gaping maw of a grille. ‘WRX’ emblazoned on the bottom left corner of it.

A sudden brief gust at his side caused Michael to glance down just in time to see Amber’s wings shoot open. He knew what it meant, and it brought a beaming smile to his face. Amber wasted no time as she scurried under the canopy and began her ritualistic walkaround of the car. She meticulously inspected every angle of the vehicle. Carefully trotting around it, brushing along side it with her wing. This was her car as much as it was his, and she let everyone present know it. She looked back at Michael as he slowly nodded along.

Michael just stood there continuing to watch her pre-launch inspection. This was one of his most treasured possessions, a nearly mint condition 2020 Subaru WRX. A reminder of a time when fossil fueled, combustion engines still reigned supreme. It was a masterpiece of engineering, and arguably one of the best, and final examples of a true sports car. The hypercars of the modern era may have all the technological advancements in the world, but they lacked the soul of the machine that stood before them. It’s low sitting, direct-injection, turbo 2.0 liter, “FA” boxer four cylinder was a ferocious power plant for its time. The distinct sound it emitted was unmistakable then, and much more so in 2039.

“I can’t believe you still have this… Subaru.” John scoffed, as Michael and Amber showed their disappointment in the way he mocked the vehicle’s namesake with frowns. “Especially since you work for American Motors. How they let you keep it is beyond me! Besides, I always told you, Subarus are for pussies anyways!” He looked down to see Amber shaking her head and rubbing her forehead with a hoof.

“You seem to forget, Dad, this car was built in Indiana, and American Motors still has a direct partnership with Fuji Heavy Industries,” Michael quipped back, this was a rehearsed response as he needed it every single time John saw the car. “Now shuddup and get in the car. Amber, your seat is in the Raptor if you want to get it.” He clicked the remote twice, and the car roared to life, the distinct sound of the turbo timer kicking in was quickly drowned by the incredible drone coming out of the muffler deleted exhaust.

Amber fluttered with joy from the sound reverberating behind her as she pulled her bulky, custom Recaro car seat out of their other vehicle, a relatively young, company provided AMI Raptor pickup truck. Unlike the trophy Subaru, the Raptor was unkempt and showed the scars of daily use. The rigors of handling the ill-maintained roads of outer Detroit meant the vehicle’s complicated magnetic-hybrid suspension system was always being put to the test. If it wasn’t for the fact that tire technology had long ago abandoned compressed air in favor of cell like tube framing, he’d be eating through tires on a regular basis. For this day at least, the Raptor could rest as its older counterpart got to go for a jaunt.

Amber’s car seat was a unique piece of engineering, and one of the first of its kind. It had become very clear to car engineers that ponies were ill-prepared to sit in a vehicle made for much larger bipeds. While ponies had shown they could sit like a human, they remained in a relatively uncomfortable state with nowhere to put their tail. It was only after a few intense design sessions with Recaro; who were known for not only their racing seats, but also their child seats, that a design was created with the pony in mind. The seat was simple in concept, but made a dramatic difference. It was created with an adhering memory foam layer, and was designed to allow a pony to sit like a person. It most importantly however, had a perfect slot in the back for their tail to slip through. It was very similar in design and use to a child seat, but far less embarrassing to use. Not to mention, Amber’s seat was a special one off with a custom stitch work and distinct checkered pattern weaved in.

Amber latched the seat into the middle of the back row, as to get a good view. Michael effortlessly slipped into the driver’s seat, as John struggled to lower himself in, grumbling the entire time. The car, with the slightest of shaking, eased into gear and lurched out of the safety of its cozy nest of a garage. Michael had always wanted to lower the vehicle, but knowing the conditions of the roads they were setting out onto, perhaps it was best to leave it where it was.

The Subaru rumbled out of their lonesome neighborhood, and onto equally gloomy primary streets. The car’s stiff suspension bucked and shuddered on the shattered roads under it. Some of them comprised of now severely damaged solar tiles, a tried and failed concept that demanded regular maintenance. A luxury in a cash-strapped reality. The area they live in had simply been redubbed, ‘Detroit District 14’ by the police force. There was no point in calling it by its given name; Dearborn. The whole region had been rezoned into special districts for means of governance, but mainly for security. District 14 was considered the farthest outlier in the shield zone. Everything about the state of this town served to depress them in some way. The constant abuse of the uneven and long worn roads on the suspension of the car just added to the misery.

The luminous blue hue of the car stood in stark contrast to the drab, dull, and faded paint of just about everything here. This was once a proud example of Main Street, USA. It had seen boom and bust time and time again. Yet now, the bust times were the only times it could recall. The storefronts lay abandoned, many of them suffering from numerous break-ins, even after it was apparent there was nothing left to steal. Eventually, like the locusts they were, the marauders moved on, looking for fresh targets. They had picked every last morsel of meat off the bones that were once Dearborn. The remnants of squatter camps lay about all around them. AMI law enforcement did not tolerate their presence, yet had no means to clear their remnants. The people and ponies who eked out a desperate survival attempted to stay close to the lights of the city just out of their reach. Forced beyond the safety of the shield, forced into the dark, little is known as to what happened to them all. It never did sit well on his conscience. The only thing allowing him to not dwell on it was the fact he knew, one day I could save them all.

Michael glanced up just in time to see a SmartCop UCAV lazily fly overhead in the distance. He would have been comforted by any kind of police presence, but it was so predictable in its patrol habits that any amateur thief could likely avoid it. He thought to himself, so much for the most advanced patrol units in the world. It paid them no attention as it vanished into the haze. They navigated through a maze of obstacles, everything from burned out vehicle husks, to makeshift barricades. Who had erected the barricades, they could not be sure, but the fact that they existed never did sit well with him.

“Make a note Amber, we need to put a bigger push bar on the Raptor,” he muttered. He glanced at her from the mirror as she just shrugged in response.

A dilapidated digital sign, barely functioning, pointed the way to the interstate. US 94 was another one of the heavily policed corridors connecting to the Inner Sanctum, and unlike the ill-maintained secondary and primary local roads, the interstate was pristine. American Motors had bankrolled revitalization projects for all of the interstates leading into the city. It was all part of a plan, and that plan was just a piece to what the CEO called ‘The Grand Facade’. They knew what it was really like outside the safe haven they holed themselves up in, but it was easier for the public to accept a good safe transit route than bare to see the relics around it.

The engine roared with a near melodious freedom as the car leapt onto the freeway, breaking the chains that bound it so tightly on the miserable roads behind it. They hadn’t fear for a speeding ticket, with the position Michael held in the company, they could hustle as fast as they saw fit. The Subaru gracefully ducked and dove between the smattering of big rigs cruising to the city. It would not be long at the pace they were travelling before they could leave the highway and get back onto primary streets.

“Mike! Slow down goddamnit! You’re gonna hit one of those damn trucks and kill us all!” John yelled through gritted teeth. He held onto the seat for dear life as the car pushed speeds well in excess of ninety miles per hour.

“Nah Dad, speed up! This is awesome and we haven’t hooned like this in ages!” Amber yelled with joy from the back. She smiled widely as she mimicked the motions of the steering wheel as best she could. Despite the incredible freedom she felt when she flew, she had to admit, she loved the concept of driving just as much.

“See Pops, this is therapy for Amber and I. Besides, we’re making ol’ Edsel Ford proud, right, Amber?” Michael chimed in, never once taking his eyes off the road.

“Hell yea, Dad!” It was all Amber needed to say as John’s desperate plea was shot down by majority rule. He grunted once more in protest, but would make no more attempts to ask them to slow down.

“I still don’t understand why you don’t just let a vehicle with autopilot take you around?” John finally spoke again. “I swear by the autopilot in my Taurus, and besides, didn’t you have a part in it?”

“I may indeed have had a part in it, but where would the fun be in driving it I let the car do it for me? As a matter of fact, I outright removed the system from the Raptor, and the ‘W’ here? Forget about it!” He patted the dashboard as if to let the car know how he felt. “Most people can’t drive for shit anymore as it is without the autopilot running the show. I know how important the technology is, it’s why I still believe in the concept, but I personally would never use it.”

John simply raised an eyebrow at this revelation from his son. He however let the conversation drift out the window as they sped on. The signs for Michigan 10 quickly approached as the car banked right to get onto the on ramp. The three of them nearly sliding out of their well bolstered seats as the car violently changed roads. They were now in the homestretch as the Inner Sanctum gradually came into view. Traffic began to mount as the largest police roadblock in the region rapidly approached. To an untrained eye, it looked like a toll booth of sorts. To the many people who had to traverse it on a regular basis, it was something else entirely. The illuminated lane markers began to flash red as if to denote impending problems for an unsuspecting motorist. John let out a long, impressed whistle as they slowed down.

The law enforcement presence was staggering. Michael was mostly used to it, but Amber and John seldom came into the Inner Sanctum proper. With Amber’s school and all of their living needs generally still in Midtown, only Michael had to go beyond this point. John gazed around at the imposing sight. Several blatantly and extremely well armed heavy patrol vehicles were prominently displayed on both sides of the booths. Their gun turrets slowly scanned the terrain; always watching, always waiting, it was an unsettling sight. Even Michael had to note the unusually large presence of law enforcement at the checkpoint, much more than usual. There were no fewer than a dozen armored patrol buggies parked in various locations around the checkpoint as well. They looked up to see several SmartCop UCAV’s loitering overhead, relaying information on approaching traffic in real time. A titanic police special patrol blimp could be seen even further overhead just barely out of the cloud cover, as several UCAV’s darted in and out of its underside hangar. There was something to be said for the show of force being presented here. Whatever it was they were trying to deter, they were doing a good job.

The Subaru rumbled up to the checkpoint, its distinct boxer engine turning more than one head as several officers walked over. Their faces were completely obscured by the heavy body armor they wore.

“Mike, why are so many cops approaching us?” John spoke with a hushed, concerned tone. Michael smiled knowingly as he rolled down the window. With a specific card in hand, the supervisor of the group began to approach. The other officers surrounded the car and were trying to figure out why it was so loud.

“Sir, is this a petroleum-based combustion engine?” asked the closest of the faceless officers.

“Yes it is, and please look at the card.” Michael tapped the card in the officer’s hand. The officer glanced down at the card and noticed the distinct high profile employee insignia. He nearly jumped out of his armor as he quickly returned the card. Michael could almost see the panic on his face behind the plate.

“I uh, um… We’re sorry for the inconvenience, Mr. Spechart, we were just curious about the vehicle!” The supervising officer stammered. Michael just waved off his worries as Amber snickered from the back.

“It’s perfectly fine, officer, not everyday you get to see an authentic boxer engine still out and about.” Michael rolled the window back up and the car began to rumble away leaving the cops in a confused mess behind them. John watched them in the rearview mirror until they were out of sight.

“Do they normally give you that much of a hard time?” John asked, a hint of concern still in his voice. Michael slightly shrugged as he thought about it.

“Come to think about it, no, that has never happened before. I mean, normally I’m in the Raptor, but they’ve seen the W before. There were also easily double the amount of cops there as usual. It is very suspicious, I didn’t get any kind of alert on a new threat. There is something going down for them to bring out the heavy units like that.” He scratched the stubble of hair on his chin “I guess we’ll just have to find out when we get to AMI. Just maybe it has something to do with the latest break-in attempt?” His open ended question remained unanswered by the others in the car as they hurried on their way.

The quality of structures had improved dramatically as the trio entered the heart of Detroit, the Inner Sanctum. This is where almost the entirety of the population lived now. Massive high rise apartment buildings soared around them, helping to redefine the skyline. Green spaces dotted the landscape as well, mixed in with the latest in local area power production. Spiral design windmills meshed flawlessly with the modern glass construction of much of the buildings. This was the ideal city, meticulously designed by the master architects employed by American Motors.

Amber’s eyes were aglow as she took in the magnificent structures that walled in the highway they were on. Some of them sitting seemingly right on top of the highway as they darted in and out of tunnels. Amber’s architecture buff side began to show itself as she gained a renewed appreciation for the Inner Sanctum. The buildings only increased in size and prominence as they continued into the heart of downtown and the Detroit Riverwalk.

“Dad, remind me again why I don’t come into the city with you more often?” she murmured as she continued to process everything she saw.

“Because you sleep until noon every time I ask if you want to go downtown with me,” he chuckled. Amber’s ears folded back as she sheepishly chuckled along, pretending not to be embarrassed. John shook his head at the revelation.

“Damn kids these days,” he muttered. Michael decided to defend his daughter now.

“Hey Dad, might I remind you I slept even later when I was her age,” he quipped.

“And you will always be a lazy bum deep down inside you schmuck,” John retorted. The car burst into a fit of laughter as it clear this was a fight no one would win. The chatter rapidly died down as Amber and John again found themselves distracted by the ever changing urban landscape dominating their views. The ever quickening increase in large structures and grandiose architecture could clearly be seen as deliberate as if to build up anticipation of what lies at the end of their journey. The car was now completely silent, save for the ever present rumble of the antique powerplant. The end of their journey was now only moments away.

To anyone who considers themselves knowledgeable on Detroit’s colorful skyline, they could easily identify the location where the American Motor Corporation chose to call home. The towering superstructure, one of the tallest in North America, had been built upon the existing infrastructure that once belonged to General Motors. Formerly known as the Renaissance Center, the multi-building complex was completely swallowed by the ever pressing needs of AMI. Within years of its takeover, the complex kicked out most of its other tenants to expand R&D space. By 2039, the sprawling 115 story skyscraper dominated the landscape and modern skyline of the Inner Sanctum. Never dark, and always shining, the great beacon upon its grand spire served as a landmark for miles and miles around. People all over the region quickly chose to use the beacon as the new landmark above all others. This was the prominence of the Inner Sanctum and served as a source of both great pride by those who conceived it; and great disdain by those damned to live beyond the shield. They were the ones who were always reminded of the successes they would never see, of the life they so desperately pined for. Their disdain for the symbol of prominence was ever present, and always simmering.

“Welcome back to the office, Mr. Spechart,” chimed the digital assistant inside the car.

“Woah..” Both Amber and John said nearly at the same time.

“I was not expecting that, Dad! How did it-”

“Do that?” Michael cut her off mid sentence before continuing. “Simple my dear. While the car may be older, the brains behind the screen are really quite modern. A one off prototype designed to let older vehicles interface with the much newer omnipresent AI that exists in the Inner Sanctum. It knew when we passed the last checkpoints, but it won’t chime in until we’ve gotten… here,” he finished just as the WRX began to rumble into the massive covered atrium of the complex. Workers and visitors alike all paused to watch in awe and confusion as the car rumbled past them and towards a brightly illuminated sign reading ‘EMPLOYEES’ and proceeded through.

The feeling of descending fell over the occupants of the vehicle as the car travelled down a long and gradually sloping tunnel. Deeper and deeper into the complex. It seemed to take far longer than in reality for them to approach a final unmanned gate house. The massive scanner flashed to life as it quickly scanned the vehicle. The screen in the dashboard seemed to acknowledge this scan as its screen suddenly changed. The mechanically precise voice of the artificial intelligence once again made its presence known.

“Mr. Spechart, you have brought your petroleum based internal combustion engine Subaru WRX. VIN number 4S63BBC60E3014A501. I see you also have your family with you today. Would you like to proceed to the special visitor lot, or would you prefer to head to your laboratory's lot?” the AI asked without a moments hesitation.

“We will be proceeding to my lab, Gaius,” Michael calmly replied to the all seeing AI. The gate opened as the vehicle slowly proceeded forward before stopping on a strange looking platform.

“Understood, Mr. Spechart. Enjoy your stay. Oh and welcome to AMI for those of you who have never been!” quipped Gaius as the in dash screen returned to its default home page. The Subaru began to shake as the platform began to hum and turn.

“Mike! What the hell is going on!?” John yelled as he pushed himself back in the seat, bracing for whatever was about to happen. The car was suddenly spun around before entering an unforeseen elevator shaft. Amber began to get jumpy in her seat while Michael simply remained completely unphased.

“Daaad whatever you’re doing it’s not funny!” Amber screamed as she fumbled with the latch for her seat. Michael only smirked and rolled his eyes.

“Will you two please relax? You’re gonna set off the panic alert system in the building if you keep flailing about.” He nearly smacked his head against the steering wheel as the two other occupants of the vehicle continued to flail about unsure of what was happening. The car continued to drop deeper into the earth as pleasant elevator music played from seemingly all around them.

“As if this couldn’t get any creepier, no sir,” Amber muttered from the back, her hooves crossed and a scowl across her face. She refused to make eye contact with Michael through the mirror as this would only make his enjoyable victory all the more momentous. She would not give him that satisfaction. “That was really mean of you Dad,” she huffed, continuing to watch the lights streak by as the car continued to descend. John only nodded before punching Michael in his shoulder.

“Hey what is with you guys and punching my shoulder!” Michael shouted. Finally getting a smile out of Amber and John. “Besides, the ride is almost over. Haven’t you guys ever been on a top secret vehicle elevator leading to parts unknown before?” His question only elicited a groan from the others. The lift finally slowed to a halt as a massive crash door opened up in front of them. Out of the darkness came the pristine white of all LED lighting from the ceiling above. The car rumbled forward under its own power again before parking in a small contained lot that overlooked a line of windows and a single door.

“Aaaand we’re here!” Michael said happily, shutting off the car. The three finally were able to emerge from their containment and proceeded to quickly stretch. Amber and John could only look around and stare in awe at the sight before them. Michael began to make his way towards the mirrored glass door.

“Welcome to Level 22B of the AMI Applied Sciences Division,” Gaius suddenly said over the speaker system. Amber’s ears perked up and moved to try and identify the seemingly omnipresent voice. John simply grumbled to himself under his breath pretending not to be increasingly interested in the sights around him. They continued their slow, heavily distracted walk to the door, still soaking in the incredibly spacious, yet deeply subterranean parking lot.

“Dad, is that uh, Gaius, or whatever you call it… You know, always around?” Amber asked in a reserved tone, clearly trying to hide her question. Before Michael could answer however, the AI decided to provide an answer for her.

“Yes, I am the Artificial Intelligence and custodian of this installation. I also have copies of myself operating in eight other AMI facilities. This however, is my home. Would you like to know something else about me, young filly?” Gaius replied in a cybernetic, yet helpful tone. Amber simply shivered. She as stealthily as she could muster glanced back at Michael who was quickly passing her. She leaned in as he caught up to her.

“Daaad, is he uh, Gaius, really going to be watching us. Like, everywhere?” she attempted to mumble-whisper, all the while glancing at the glowing red orb on the ceiling that seemed to be piercing her soul with its inhuman glare. She had clearly been unnerved by Gaius’ response to her first question, she wasn’t taking any chances this time around. Michael continued to the door and began a complicated scan in process to gain them access.

“If I answered that Amber, I’d have to kill you,” Michael replied, as Amber loudly groaned behind him. The door beeped several times with a positive tone and a green light activated overhead.

“User Michael Spechart identified, access granted,” a second voice spoke from the door as it gradually began to lurch open, emitting a strong hiss as a small cloud of condensation from within wafted into the air around them. The ever familiar scent of sterilized air greeted them as they began entry. Stepping through that doorway was a special moment for them all. Beyond the door lay the many secrets of a company trying very hard to hide something extremely important. For all the hours and time spent in a lonely basement workshop would be for naught was it not for the existence of this very special place. The burden of working deep below the city was not lost on the few employees still left to maintain progress. With every moment they toiled in secrecy, they knew a city, and maybe even the world, depended on the outcomes of the projects here.

Michael knew that all too well, a familiar feeling of confidence and uncertainty fluttered in his gut. All those who worked with him knew he was a man of destiny here. As he entered the final corridor leading to the very heart of the facility, he walked with confidence now. Behind a roughened, aging facade, was a man who still believed in the fight. His eyes were emblazoned with determination. For everything that had happened in his life, all of the loss, the anger, the tragedy. He glanced behind his shoulder, looking back to see Amber Sage trotting along, joking with her grandfather. He smiled to himself, and looked back at the path ahead.

He did it for her.

Author's Note:

After an inexcusably long hiatus, it has finally returned. No promises on the speed of new chapters (I won't make that mistake again!) We'll see how things move along here. To anyone left, thank you all for sticking by me.

A huge thanks is in store for my friends and editors, Menelaus Redz, SembrBrony217, and HumanMK2. Also a big thanks to friend and creative consultant KriegorMKII. (AKA Team Machine and Might)

I hope you all enjoy!