• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 546 Views, 0 Comments

Ice Under Hooves of the Major - AlexMalkavian



Princess Luna had been banished to the Moon, now her batponies are left alone. Will they be loyal to her that was, or to her that is?

  • ...
 0
 546

Ice under hooves of the Major

Ice under hooves of the Major

“Soldiers!” Major’s loud voice reverberated between the walls of the cave hall. “Twelve and a half years ago our Princess Luna was dethroned and sent to the Moon by her treacherous sister Celestia. That was the darkest day for our people. We were banished from pony society, driven out of all cities.

“Bravest of our brothers tried to strike back, but they were either slayed in their attempt, or thrown to dungeons of that new capital, Canterlot,” his words were filled with loathing. Then he frowned.” At that time I was with them, and partially I am to blame in their failure, because I participated in that rushed operation planning. Their names will never be forgotten, but mine shall be consigned to oblivion. From that day I became just the Major.

“But now — now the time has come to have our vengeance! They forgot about us, and even if somebody remembers, nobody will expect attack in a cold winter night. And we are ready, we have plan, we have weapons and magic! We will strike a blow! We will destroy Celestia! We will return our Princess! We will show them all the true power of the night! And I will show you the way and lead you to the victory very soon!”

Crowd of batpony troopers in front of him burst out into loud approving shouts.

“And for now — rest and prepare. Your commanding officers will tell you more details. Now dismiss!”

* * *

Coming out of big cave that was used as some replacement for town hall, Night Glaive pondered about words Major had said. He, along with the Major and some other old Night Guards, was one of the few, who remembered dozen-year old events. At that time he was in Night Guard for some years, and he remembered all that happened with Luna clearly as if it was just yesterday.

Batponies knew that their Princess could be strict in case of need, but usually she was kind and tender, as her Moon’s light. She would never bring eternal night to all Equestria, let alone attack her sister. She, along with her sister, cared for all ponies, even for those, who couldn't understand and appraise magnificence of the night. But years passed by, and with time Luna was becoming more and more depressed. Depression led her to resentment that weakened her and allowed dark powers to take over Luna’s mind.

After that she was Luna no more. Even her loyal guards understood that. At least most of them did.

Night Glaive was at the Royal Sisters’ Summer Castle, when Nightmare Moon confronted with Celestia. No words were useful. So Celestia just had to use the Elements of Harmony. She declared that and asked Night Guards to step aside. Some, along with Night Glaive, reluctantly obeyed. Two most devoted tried to attack Celestia, but their efforts were in vain, Elements already formed a protective barrier around the Sun Princess.

“Go away if you want to live,” she said. “Run away!”

And they ran from the castle. Dark power of Nightmare Moon already collided with rainbow light of elements, and walls began to crumble under such a powerful magic. Ponies — both from Night and Day Guard — just barely passed the castle’s gate when magic exploded. A bright pillar of silver light darted to the Moon that was still in the sky and black ring spread from its base, crushing stone walls of the castle, crippling trees around it and knocking down everypony. Then darkness came.

When Night Glaive came to his senses he saw Princess Celestia. Her mane looked bleak comparing to usual look. Princess herself seemed sad and tired; her body was covered with scars and bruises. When she was sure that batpony was alive, she went to Valor Crest of Day Guard lying next to him, then to other solders, waking them. Two brave but foolish Night Guards were nowhere to seen. Most likely they died in that magic explosion.

After all guards were awake, Celestia talked to them. She tried to apologize to batponies for what she did to her sister, their Princess. Night guard answered to her with understanding silence.

Then Princess told all the guards that most likely there will be some ponies who will try to blame guards of Luna in this prolonged night. So she asked all to try to not allow conflicts between batponies and other pony races.

As she predicted, situation became not very good. Some batpony families decided to leave cities and to go to more secluded places, but for the time being nobody forced them to do it. Then in couple of weeks situation became far worse.

Major, who was on embassy to griffin kingdom, have returned to Equestria.

When he find out about Princess Luna, he became crazy. He didn't listen to those, who knew how it all was. He just wanted to take revenge on Celestia for what she did to Moon Princess. And he was not alone, many high-ranked guards were unsatisfied with situation. But their ambush on Celestia failed. Most attackers he sent were killed in short, but bloody clash, others were sent to prison. Major with a small group of followers escaped.

But that was the last straw for ponykind. Now they openly demanded a punishment for batponies, many wanted them to be banished from Equestria. Batponies were sent to some far-off reservations in Equestria's borderline mountains, forced to live in gloomy caves. But there was one cave unknown even to Celestia. Major with his accomplices was hiding there.

Over ten years they weren't idle. They tried to recruit new soldiers — now it was easier, because many batponies were angry with course of events. He didn't even disdain to conclude treaties with others, who wanted to throw Celestia off her throne not caring for other Princess.

Now Major was ready to bring his plans to reality. And that meant that Night Glaive must act without delay. We must stop him, he thought.

* * *

In the darkness of moonless night a group of batponies was gliding just above the cloud level. They were almost impossible to notice. They were heading to Canterlot. Reaching the walls of the city, group did a turn heading to the Canterlot caves. Then only one batpony came out and returned to the gloomy winter sky.

Reaching the castle, he dove down to the edge of the wall and hid in the shadow of the battlement. There he silently waited. Three patrols passed just in couple meters from him, noticing nothing. But at last the fourth patrol — young pegasus and aged unicorn — was the one he was waiting for. He threw a pebble in the direction of adjacent battlement. It bounced a couple of times with quiet rattle and fell down.

“What was that?” asked younger of two guards.

“Probably just wall is crumbling,” the older one frowned. “I’ll check it, you go forward.”

“OK, but try to make it quick.”

“Don’t you worry, youngster,” the older stallion chuckled. “No check-up pony would like to freeze their rumps outside at such a cold weather.”

“It’s easy for you to say,” mumbled younger guardian walking away. “It’s because of them I am not inside the palace now, but on these cold walls.”

Older pony followed him with eyes for some time, and then he went to the edge of the wall.

“Good evening to you, Valor Crest,” he heard from his side.

“Who…” he stammered, eyes open wide. ”Night Glaive?! What are you doing here?”

“Be quiet,” whispered Night Glaive, “and try not to interrupt. I doubt that Princess Celestia would like to talk with one of our kind, and you are one of a few who I do trust. You were at old Royal Sister’s Castle when this all happened, you know the truth. So I will tell this to you. Major is planning an upturn soon.”

“What?” Valor Crest gasped. “This bastard is still alive?”

“Alive and kicking. To be exact, he has a plan to kick Celestia, and it surely will be a hard one. Now listen…” and Night Glaive told Valor Crest all he knew about Major’s plans.

* * *

“And that’s all I know,” finished the batpony. “With my little company alone there’s almost nothing we can do. But we can help Day Guard to strike Major down.”

They were walking by patrolling route, not very fast to catch up with young guard, but not too slow to be caught up by next patrolling pair.

“It’s just ‘Canterlot Guard’ now, Glaive,” Valor Crest sighed. “Have no doubt, I’ll tell Princess about this as soon as I can. But, if you don’t mind, can I ask you one question?”

“You want to know why am I doing this, right?”

“Honestly, yes. Let’s assume that Major’s plan will be successful. Then, even if he couldn't bring Luna back, your people will get freedom.”

“No, Crest,” batpony replied. “We both know that our Night Princess is no longer herself, and bringing her back will do no good to anypony. As for my people, Major’s actions will do only harm to us. Even if he succeeds, then after that all ponykind will stand against him — and against us. Harmony that has been restored lately will be disrupted again.

“You know, Crest,” Night Glaive continued, “we just trying to live peacefully now, raise our foals... Maybe life is not that good in that mountains, but at least it is peaceful. And when I see my children, playing and smiling, I feel so alive… They are not like us, they never knew our fallen Princess. They know no pain, no death, no fear. They are happy for sun and flowers, their eyes are so vivid, and… And if Major will do what he wants, he will not only kill Celestia, he will kill any hope for future for our children.

“Maybe after hundred years ponies will understand that all batponies should not be blamed for deeds of one pony. Then our people can be together again. But now we must cut his wings, we must become an ice under his hooves, we must make him fall not reaching his goal. And even if after that I will be branded as a traitor, even if no one of my kind will understand or accept me — let it be so. But I will be sure that I protected them from worst fate.”

* * *

A couple of nights later a battle will occur near the Canterlot. Nopony will return to the northern caves to tell about it to batponyfolk. And some decades later only one witness of that battle will be alive.

This event will remain only in Celestia's memory. Maybe later it will be added to history books, maybe not — only time will tell. And only time will tell what will happen to batponies.

THE END

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment