• Published 22nd Aug 2013
  • 336 Views, 2 Comments

Slave of an Empire. - Kbjinx



How far are you willing to go to change something?

  • ...
 2
 336

Chapter 1 Solar Chaser

I can't remember a day where little fillies ran and played in the park. I can't remember a day where people gathered around to smile and laugh together. I can't remember a day where I saw someone's face light up at the mere sight of a bouquet of flowers. I can't remember a day where the streets weren't lined with armed guards. I can't remember a day where the only label I had was "Unicorn". I can't remember a day when joy was overflowing in Equestria....

A famous pony once said,“When you feel someone else's pain and joy as powerfully as if it were your own, then you know you really loved them.”
Many quotes like this memorized, I'm a unicorn of my studies. A scholar of Canterlot. It's been years since Luna has been behind these walls, she hasn't been seen since the uprising of the New Lunar Republic. Many people including close friends left with her however I stayed true to Celestia, our all devine ruler. I live under the reign of Celestia and the rule of the Solar Empire. With the many factions at war, it's surprised I've made it through it all so far. my name is Solar Chaser and this is my story.

* * *

“Without pain, how could we know joy?' This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.”
Joy... A thing I must have once knew, but now can't remember. It's been a long time since I could remember anything, after all. As far as pain goes, it's all I can think of. There's not much to this life. Our superiors say the way to joy in knowledge, that we are blessed with the gift of the wisdom of our leader, Celestia. But is it really? I practically know it all, I've read every book on the shelf! Why doesn't this give me joy? I haven't felt joy ever since I no longer heard my mother say my name.... Solar Chaser.....Solar Chaser..... Solar Chaser....

"ARTISAN SOLAR CHASER!" a firm voice from behind suddenly snaped me out of my trance.
"Wah?" I jumped a little, losing concentration my magic became disrupted and I dropped the books I had been levitating.
"Sorry...sorry...oh...sorry..." I muttered, my face red with embarrassment as I quickly started to pick them up.
"Artisan Solar Chaser, now is not the time to be day dreaming." Eastemnet Master Snow Flare, my superior and the owner of the voice that had snapped me out of my trance, said sternly.
"Yes..yes...I know...I was just...um... Thinking about this passage in my...uh...book." I said as I frantically picked up the remainder of my books.
"Oh? And what passage would that be, Artisan Solar Chaser?" Eastemnet Master Snow Flare questioned.
"This one." I answered, levitating the top book from my stack and flipping the page to the passage.

Eastemnet Master Snow Flare put on his spectacles and had a look at the book that levitated before him.
"hmmmm....." he said to himself, keenly looking over the book. His expression quickly turned stern.
"Artisan Solar Chaser, why must you always ponder such things all the time?" He asked, looking up at me, removing his spectacles.
"Sorry Master, it's just...uhm...it's just..." I began trying to explain.
"You know we find joy through the wisdom of Celestia and the knowledge these books give us. You of all people should know this, you are a Canterlot Unicorn, are you not?" He said, cuting me off before I could explain any further.
"Yes master, sorry master." I muttered.
I closed the book in front of him and put it back on the top of my stack.
"As you were, Artisan Solar Chaser." Eastermnet Master Snow Flare said, as he turned around.
"Yes, master." I said, bowing my head as he walked away.

The day carried on as usual as I walked over to the tall bookshelves on the other side of the room, I still pondered over what the passage in the book meant. To know joy I must first feel pain? Pain is something that comes with the Solar Empire, but yet we do not question it. One would assume the pain would be worse to be on your own or part of a meaningless cause like the New Lunar Republic. Luna being able to unlock the powers of Nightmare Moon once again, there's no possible way they could be better off in the New Lunar Republic, could they?
'No,' I thought to myself, "you mustn't question your place, Celestia is good to us."

I shook the thought out of my head as I began putting my books back on the shelf. Every time the thoughts of pain or joy came to my mind I would quickly shake them away. I tried to focus as I carried on my studies, I mean a unicorn isn't a unicorn if he knows so little. They say a horn doesn't make one a unicorn, its the superior knowledge and wisdom he owns that makes him a unicorn. The title "Canterlot Unicorn" used to mean something, it was once a title to bear proudly. Of course, that was when Canterlot was the shining, glorified Capitol city of Equestria, home of the unicorn and the center of knowledge. Now it is a war torn city, the occupation of the Solar Empire has scorned it.

The hours pass until night fell. Tired, I decided to head home. As I headed out of the Grand Library of Twilight Sparkle, I prepared myself for the short journey to my home. The streets were almost barren, except for the occasional shadowy individual silently shuffling by, minding is own business and of course, the Solar Guards making their rounds. Every time I came to s street corner, the usual stopping would happen.

"Halt, citizen." the solar guard in a monotone voice said as I neared the street bend.
Annoyed, I did what I was told.
"Citizen, present your ID" He then said.
I lifted my cloak up to expose my saddle bags. My horn started to glow yellow as my magic came to life. With my magic, I lifted up the flap and rummaged through my bag while the Solar guard watched me not moving a muscle, he was a perfect static figure.
"Ah, here it is." I said, using my magic to take it out of my bag and sow it to the guard.
He looked over it for a while, making sure everything was in order.
"Very well citizen, carry on." he said in monotone once again before returning back to his post without another word.

I turned the around the corner, this was my street. I walked down the side walk looking at the addresses. 107....108.....109.....110.....111, my place. I trot up to the door, the are becomes illuminated from the glow of my horn as take my key out from my saddle bag. I yawn as I inserted the key and turned the lock and lazily stumble inside. The door slamed behind me as I buck it closed with my hind legs. Using my horn as a flashlight, I navigated myself though my tiny condo to my bedroom.

I lit a few candles, it lit up my small bedroom. I unbuckled my saddlebags which slid off my body and hit the ground loudly. I sleepily stumbled up to the mirror. As I gazed at myself, I started to wonder if I was really the colt I wanted to be. Was I meant to be how I am? I couldn't think right, I was to tired. The fasten of my cloak reflected the candle light. It's the shape of a sun, Celestias sun. It's the icon of the Solar Empire. Somberly I unfastened it, letting it fall to the floor. I then blew out the candles before lazily lying down on my hay bed. As my eyes slowly shut, I continued to think about my role in life, what I had done. Before long, I silently drifted off into a deep sleep.

Author's Note:

Artisan and Eastemnet Master are levels of Scholars

here's a list of titles and what level( tier ) they are in.
Tier 1
Apprentice Scholar
Master Apprentice Scholar
Tier 2
Journeyman Scholar
Master Journeyman Scholar
Tier 3
Expert Scholar
Master Expert Scholar
Tier 4
Artisan Scholar
Master Artisan Scholar
Tier 5
Master Scholar
Grand Master Scholar
Tier 6
Supreme Scholar
Supreme Master Scholar
Tier 7
Westfold Scholar
Westfold Master Scholar
Tier 8
Eastemnet Scholar
Eastemnet Master Scholar

Comments ( 2 )

Learn to use consistent tenses and proper capitalization. Also, don't use "of" when you really mean "have". For example, "must of" should be "must have" or "must've". I'd give you a link to this site's writing help guide, but I can't do that with the device I'm using right now.

Keep in mind that Solar Empire/New Lunar Republic stories are not very popular due to the concept being done to death. Still, this shows promise by offering a unique point of view to tell it from. Keep writing; you'll learn how to smooth out your rough edges eventually.

3085687 thanks for pointing those out, I will make the proper edits.

Login or register to comment